• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Legalizing Civil Marriage in Lebanon!!!

JB81

Legendary Member
قرّر وزير الداخلية والبلديات، نهاد المشنوق، طرح موضوع إجراء الزواج المدني في لبنان وتسجيله في وزارة الداخلية، على مجلس الوزراء غداً، لاتخاذ القرار المناسب بهذا الشأن.

Great! But can this takecare government issues something important such as the Civil marriage?

JB81

Legendary Member
FM being the vanguard of liberalism and progress as usual.

LOL.... it's just a media stunt just as Abou Faoor did when FM killed Lebanon's democratic institutions. Few months ago, this same guy Mashnouq turned Lebanon into dictatorship for depriving the Lebanese from elections.

Today, the Hariri mafia is aiming on robbing Beirut port. The Civil marriage will be a good subject to cover up Hariri Sara2 nahab Jawwa3.

They know exactly how to play some Lebanese... unfortunately they are plenty... Turning Lebanon into dictatorship and robbing the Lebanese in front of their eyes while beleho Lebanese in food safety once, civil marriage other times, and of course scary ba3ba3 Irani majousi rawafed... w sheghel $ mashi wala yhemak

Dalzi

Legendary Member
Great! But can this takecare government issues something important such as the Civil marriage?
It's actually the least important of issues the government needs to look into. Clean the water first lol How many people are lining up to marry in a civil court? Unless I'm either too old fashioned or out of touch with the reality of what the Lebanese have turned into, I'd say very little.

Placebo

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
It's actually the least important of issues the government needs to look into. Clean the water first lol How many people are lining up to marry in a civil court? Unless I'm either too old fashioned or out of touch with the reality of what the Lebanese have turned into, I'd say very little.

It's not the least important issue at all. It's one of the fundamentals of turning the country in a civil state and bringing people, from various confessions, together.
If we have other -important or more important- problems, it doesn't mean that we should put aside civil marriage, which is a Right for a lot of people.

And yes, a lot of people are actually having a civil marriage, but sadly out of the country.

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Btw this is a political thread by excellence, i don't understand why it's put in "Lebanon away from politics" .

And im sorry the law presented by Cortbawi is outrageous. It's not acceptable at all.

Liked your post by mistake. But you are right about your first point (I dunno about your second one).

Dalzi

Legendary Member
It's not the least important issue at all. It's one of the fundamentals of turning the country in a civil state and bringing people, from various confessions, together.
If we have other -important or more important- problems, it doesn't mean that we should put aside civil marriage, which is a Right for a lot of people.

And yes, a lot of people are actually having a civil marriage, but sadly out of the country.
I don't know of the statistics, but looking around I can see a billion worrisome issues that need much more attention.

I'm all for turning the country into a civil state, but it's a big job that starts with clean drinking water :biggrin:

Even in a civil court, marriage isn't what brings two confessions together. People of different religions/sects only marry one another if neither cares about his/her religion/sect, or one doesn't care, or both care and one changes to the other's, or if they're Romeo and Juliet lunatics looking for trouble. Considering these points I believe are factual, a short trip to cyprus is doable for the time being (until we get clean water).

johnnyFPM

Legendary Member
Can someone explain to me why, under the proposition made by the Ministry, should a couple who gets married civilly, pay administrative costs/compensation (or however you want to call it) to the religious group of the husband? What exactly entitles a clergy to that money?

Moreover, what are the rules regarding divorce, inheritance, etc. under the civil law?

Weddings are a big part of the Clergy's budget - and I think it's the main reason the Clergy has always refused civil marriage. By doing so, you compensate the clergy's loss (manque à gagner) and keep them happy and quiet.

I didn't go through the law in detail, but for me, it should ideally:
- Allow a couple to get married civil
- But also allow the same couple to get married religiously (remember: you can be a believer and a secular)
- Only register the civil wedding (not the religious one)

Dalzi

Legendary Member
Weddings are a big part of the Clergy's budget - and I think it's the main reason the Clergy has always refused civil marriage. By doing so, you compensate the clergy's loss (manque à gagner) and keep them happy and quiet.

I didn't go through the law in detail, but for me, it should ideally:
- Allow a couple to get married civil
- But also allow the same couple to get married religiously (remember: you can be a believer and a secular)
- Only register the civil wedding (not the religious one)
We don't pay a single cent to clergy. You get the religious ceremony for free.

The problems people are having are with the way conflicts are being handled in religious courts. They have faults in tashree3. Your divorce, for example, can be finalized in a day or in two years, it depends on who handles it. That's wrong.

johnnyFPM

Legendary Member
We don't pay a single cent to clergy. You get the religious ceremony for free.

The problems people are having are with the way conflicts are being handled in religious courts. They have faults in tashree3. Your divorce, for example, can be finalized in a day or in two years, it depends on who handles it. That's wrong.

Christians do pay the church (most have official price lists) and the priest (it's more of a gesture for this one, to thank him for his time).
Also, as you said, lots of money come from religious courts...

Abou Sandal

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
قرّر وزير الداخلية والبلديات، نهاد المشنوق، طرح موضوع إجراء الزواج المدني في لبنان وتسجيله في وزارة الداخلية، على مجلس الوزراء غداً، لاتخاذ القرار المناسب بهذا الشأن.

FM being the vanguard of liberalism and progress as usual.

Mashnnouk is doing this to try and abort the registration of over 40 civil marriages submitted to his ministry for registration.

Abou Sandal

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
اعتصام في رياض الصلح لمطالبة وزارة الداخلية بتوقيع عقود الزواج المدني​

HannaTheCrusader

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
rifi said he wont vote for it at all at all at all

the reality all muslims are against it in lebanon and the christian clergy ( BUT NOT THE CHRISTIAN POLITICIAN)

it wont pass

as I keep saying

muslim societies are regress.......

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
I don't know of the statistics, but looking around I can see a billion worrisome issues that need much more attention.

I'm all for turning the country into a civil state, but it's a big job that starts with clean drinking water :biggrin:

Even in a civil court, marriage isn't what brings two confessions together. People of different religions/sects only marry one another if neither cares about his/her religion/sect, or one doesn't care, or both care and one changes to the other's, or if they're Romeo and Juliet lunatics looking for trouble. Considering these points I believe are factual, a short trip to cyprus is doable for the time being (until we get clean water).

Many people on here seem to think that Lebanon's problems will be solved by sectarian marriage.
How are we going to get a civil state when we still vote based on our sects and worship our leaders?
Having civil marriage won't turn us into non-sectarian people. It's not even due to religiosity, Lebanese don't care much about their religions (they curse God when they get angry), sects are more like tribes.

Dalzi

Legendary Member
Many people on here seem to think that Lebanon's problems will be solved by sectarian marriage.
How are we going to get a civil state when we still vote based on our sects and worship our leaders?
Having civil marriage won't turn us into non-sectarian people. It's not even due to religiosity, Lebanese don't care much about their religions (they curse God when they get angry), sects are more like tribes.
You don't care about your religion? Will you marry in a civil court without the religious ceremony?! No way lol