• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Legalizing Civil Marriage in Lebanon!!!

lebnan_lilkel

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Since hanna is smallah such a progressive (unlike these barbarian Muslims), let's see if he supports granting Lebanese women the right to pass their citizenship to their children...

Well .... abosolutely, as equal as letting expats regain their citizinship and voting rights.. No one is against it, but the oumma only sees what the oumma wants.:). the french and satin us have nothing to do with it.

loubnaniTO

Legendary Member
Staff member
Super Penguin
Since hanna is smallah such a progressive (unlike these barbarian Muslims), let's see if he supports granting Lebanese women the right to pass their citizenship to their children...

are we talking about the women who are HUMAN BEINGS? or aliens?? or cattle? women as far as i know are human beings, and are equal to other human beings, and should have rights just like other human beings.

I have refrained from commenting much on those topics cause i cannot believe we are debating BASIC SOCIAL RIGHTS!!! so basic it is pathetic we are even debating them in the XXIst century... but i just wanted to remind everyone that women are human beings.. just a reminder.. oh and their babies too, are human beings. Even if they are fatherless, they are human beings, deserve a nationality ,and deserve all the dignity all the other kids get .. god damn it.

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
are we talking about the women who are HUMAN BEINGS? or aliens?? or cattle? women as far as i know are human beings, and are equal to other human beings, and should have rights just like other human beings.

I have refrained from commenting much on those topics cause i cannot believe we are debating BASIC SOCIAL RIGHTS!!! so basic it is pathetic we are even debating them in the XXIst century... but i just wanted to remind everyone that women are human beings.. just a reminder.. oh and their babies too, are human beings. Even if they are fatherless, they are human beings, deserve a nationality ,and deserve all the dignity all the other kids get .. god damn it.

The main reason why many reject granting Lebanese women this right is to prevent Palestinian men from having Lebanese children, especially since children inherit the religion of their father, which means there would be more Sunnis in Lebanon.

Amirkani

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter

The main reason why many reject granting Lebanese women this right is to prevent Palestinian men from having Lebanese children, especially since children inherit the religion of their father, which means there would be more Sunnis in Lebanon.
ma if you accept the premise that they are barbarians, how do you expect Hanna to accept granting them citizenship? LOL

------------------------------------------------------------

Amirkani

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Are you saying women are barbarians?
sayer zihnak ghaleez lately... what kind of transformation have you been going trough? LOL

bass halla2 if the scope of barbarism is limited to what a woman would do to you then it could be tolerated... maybe even enjoyed. LOL

Robin Hood is a sincere and sensitive person. I am just telling him not to succumb to or be intimidated by stereotyping this easily and to grow thicker skin :)

-----------------------------------------------

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Do you think we can trust 18-year olds with marriage? Maybe it should be increased to 21, or having 18-21 olds seek parental consent, because current 18-year olds aren't mature enough to get married.

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
In the US, you can have your married ceremony be simultaneously performed in the eyes of the law and the eyes of God.

In Quebec, people who marry in a religious ceremony still get registered by the government, and I think they get the same rights as those married in a civil ceremony.

CitizenOfTheRepublic

Legendary Member
Do you think we can trust 18-year olds with marriage? Maybe it should be increased to 21, or having 18-21 olds seek parental consent, because current 18-year olds aren't mature enough to get married.
The theory is that human brain growth is complete by 18 yrs, but you can argue against that.
What I find necessary is to have someone explain individually to each what a marriage means in terms of responsibility before they get a license.

Dalzi

Legendary Member
In the US, you can have your married ceremony be simultaneously performed in the eyes of the law and the eyes of God.

In Quebec, people who marry in a religious ceremony still get registered by the government, and I think they get the same rights as those married in a civil ceremony.
It should be no less than 25 :p Marriage isn't for kids.

Dalzi

Legendary Member
Women not being allowed to give their children citizenships has proven to be an effective deterrent against them marrying foreigners :biggrin:

Amirkani

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter

In the US, you need to get a marriage license no matter what type of ceremony you're having and then the "official" performing the marriage fills out the required forms and sends them to the appropriate governmental agency to record the marriage and issue you a marriage certificate.

Any marriage, religious or civil, has the same requirements:
- A marriage license
- A ceremony in front of witnesses (usually at least two)
- An "officiant" deemed qualified by the government. This is only where religious and civil marriages differ. A member of the clergy be it a priest, sheikh, rabbi or whatever is deemed a "qualified officiant" by the government.
- Recording of the marriage and issuing a marriage certificate.

What so difficult or wrong in that? Many people perform all the above (civil marriage) in one afternoon... and then take their sweet time preparing for a religious marriage if they choose to have one.

It is not an issue of prohibiting religious marriages or ceremonies. It is never the case in any civilized country.

In Lebanon, it is an issue of forcing a religious marriage on everyone... believers and non-believers... and even on two people with two different sets of beliefs who might choose to get married yet each maintains their own beliefs. You are denying them the right to get married unless they "conform".and accept religious subjugation.

It is nothing short of collusion between the various religious authorities. It is a screaming aggression against everyone's freedom of belief.

------------------------------------------------------

CitizenOfTheRepublic

Legendary Member
In the US, you need to get a marriage license no matter what type of ceremony you're having and then the "official" performing the marriage fills out the required forms and sends them to the appropriate governmental agency to record the marriage and issue you a marriage certificate. Any marriage, religious or civil, has the same requirements: - A marriage license - A ceremony in front of witnesses (usually at least two) - An "officiant" deemed qualified by the government. This is only where religious and civil marriages differ. A member of the clergy be it a priest, sheikh, rabbi or whatever is deemed a "qualified officiant" by the government. - Recording of the marriage and issuing a marriage certificate. What so difficult or wrong in that? Many people perform all the above (civil marriage) in one afternoon... and then take their sweet time preparing for a religious marriage if they choose to have one. It is not an issue of prohibiting religious marriages or ceremonies. It is never the case in any civilized country. In Lebanon, it is an issue of forcing a religious marriage on everyone... believers and non-believers... and even on two people with two different sets of beliefs who might choose to get married yet each maintains their own beliefs. You are denying them the right to get married unless they "conform".and accept religious subjugation. It is nothing short of collusion between the various religious authorities. It is a screaming aggression against everyone's freedom of belief. ------------------------------------------------------
I am yet to understand the anti civil marriage point of view. Enno at the end of the day it is optional so if they don't want it for themselves shoo khasson bi those who want it? They want to force everyone to abide by a religion? You either adhere to a religion or you don't have rights? What a blatant intolerance of others' beliefs.

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
In the US, you need to get a marriage license no matter what type of ceremony you're having and then the "official" performing the marriage fills out the required forms and sends them to the appropriate governmental agency to record the marriage and issue you a marriage certificate.

- A marriage license
- An "officiant" deemed qualified by the government. This is only where religious and civil marriages differ. A member of the clergy be it a priest, sheikh, rabbi or whatever is deemed a "qualified officiant" by the government.

What so difficult or wrong in that? Many people perform all the above (civil marriage) in one afternoon... and then take their sweet time preparing for a religious marriage if they choose to have one.

It is not an issue of prohibiting religious marriages or ceremonies. It is never the case in any civilized country.

In Lebanon, it is an issue of forcing a religious marriage on everyone... believers and non-believers... and even on two people with two different sets of beliefs who might choose to get married yet each maintains their own beliefs. You are denying them the right to get married unless they "conform".and accept religious subjugation.

It is nothing short of collusion between the various religious authorities. It is a screaming aggression against everyone's freedom of belief.

Ya3ne enta baddak l banet l Mwarne ysiro yjibo wled Roum?

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
I am yet to understand the anti civil marriage point of view. Enno at the end of the day it is optional so if they don't want it for themselves shoo khasson bi those who want it? They want to force everyone to abide by a religion? You either adhere to a religion or you don't have rights? What a blatant intolerance of others' beliefs.

I didn't say I am againt civil marriage, I just want everybody to have the choice which marriage to choose.

Dalzi

Legendary Member

- A marriage license

Same here. We have to submit an 'intention to marry' form to the person who is going to conduct the ceremony (priest, sheikh... etc) 1 month prior to the ceremony date, and that person registers the marriage. You can't decide to marry on the spot and do it, you have to give an official one month notice.

Our problem is when it comes to registering the marriage in Lebanon when couples are from different religions and divorce is sometimes complicated in religious courts. You could be married in one country and divorced in another! It's ridiculous.