• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

MALI: France’s newest Quagmire

O Brother

Legendary Member
Lets start by saying wishing death on 22 year olds that had no choice is idiotic and shows who you are. Second, even if i am against the french presence in that region, i would like to point out you missing the whole point and the whole issue there.

Forced ? how ?

These people are getting paid to be there killing civilians and are part of an occupation destabilizing the region further more!
Nothing wrong to wish the death of the occupiers!

You can give them whatever excuse you want but these people didn't shed tears on all the children they are killing yet you want people to feel sorry for these terrorists because they are being "forced" you say!

How are these people forced?.. educate me!
And if that was truly the case then I hope that they manage to free themselves from the brutal French regime who is forcing them to be "terrorists" meanwhile the more of occupiers gets killed the better.. as with more french terrorist soldiers being killed the more people are calling for ending the military occupation!

Mrsrx

Not an expert!
Staff member
educate me!
I do not have the time for that.
as with more french terrorist soldiers being killed the more people are calling for ending the military occupation!
Uranium mines is true but unfortunately France will not be out of their easily as its presence is necessary for the african coastline and EU entry passages ever since Qaddafi fell (part of the blame is on them aswell). The Malian military is not able to protect Bamako from any attack so they want to keep the french there at any cost. Meanwhile France wants out and that is why it is requesting EU allies to replace part of its troops and training a force of 5 African countries to take over (not working that well).... Northern Mali and that desert is way more complex than you think and issues between Touaregs and Islamists such as yourself is not a game. This region is why france loves dictators in northern africa serving as an externalised border and one of those dictatorship failed --> troops on the ground)
Anyway if you are naive enough to think all of this is just for the Uranium you are missing the point...but it is understandable coming from you and knowing what your allegiances are.

O Brother

Legendary Member
I do not have the time for that.

Well allow me then..
These French terrorist soldiers are occupying another country which is not theirs so it is people's universal right to resist it and target the occupation! Your lame excuse to give these occupiers an excuse doesn't sound resonable at all!

Would you feel the same if these people weren't European/white folk? I doubt that!
As aouni do you think aoun declaring Harb al tahreer against the Syrian regime as something evil? Or do you think killing any of the young Syrians regime soldiers back then who were literally being forced to be in that war as something evil!?

The level of double standards is so freaking alarming high here..
so please do not lecture other people about your righteousness because it is clearly far fetched!

I get that you think highly of France but me not so much :)

Uranium mines is true but unfortunately France will not be out of their easily as its presence is necessary for the african coastline and EU entry passages ever since Qaddafi fell (part of the blame is on them aswell). The Malian military is not able to protect Bamako from any attack so they want to keep the french there at any cost. Meanwhile France wants out and that is why it is requesting EU allies to replace part of its troops and training a force of 5 African countries to take over (not working that well).... Northern Mali and that desert is way more complex than you think and issues between Touaregs and Islamists such as yourself is not a game. This region is why france loves dictators in northern africa serving as an externalised border and one of those dictatorship failed --> troops on the ground)
Anyway if you are naive enough to think all of this is just for the Uranium you are missing the point...but it is understandable coming from you and knowing what your allegiances are.

France would obviously want to maintain its colonial power in that region to exploit it as much as possible.. let it be by installing puppet regimes or by military involvement when needed to secure its dominance over the region and the resources!

France is the reason why the Sahel region is not stable and wont be for many coming decades.. and they will also make sure to keep it this way..
They will make sure to milk the excuse of fighting "Islamist military groups" and claim to be there to fight it while in reality they are the one who caused it and probably even behind it as well! Their puppets in Mali and elsewhere would obviously want French protection as without it they wouldn't survive long or hold the capital!

And speaking about the Touaregs and so called Islamists..
It is well known at least for the Touareg people that the "Islamists" were used by France when the Touareg people were taking more control over their own lands and yes the resources in the land plays a major role in this conflict and is one of the main reasons why France would want to maintain its control over the region.. but obviously there would be many others reason as well but the natural resources are on the top of the list for sure!

Mrsrx

Not an expert!
Staff member
occupying another country
wrong. Mali government approves and has soldier with the french so this cannot be called occcupation.

As aouni do you think
wrong. so cannot answer

The level of double standards
wrong assumptions = no double standards.

France is the reason why the Sahel region is not stable and wont be for many coming decades..
Better than being stable under your Qaeda

It is well known at least for the Touareg people that the "Islamists"
Again you do not understand that region of the world....

O Brother

Legendary Member
wrong. Mali government approves and has soldier with the french so this cannot be called occcupation.

So did the Vichy regime when France was under Nazi occupation!
Using you logic then Vichy France was all legit and the Nazi occupation wasn't an occupation!

Or if we take a closer example.. Lebanon was never occupied by the Syrian regime!

Better than being stable under your Qaeda

Here we go again the logic of "You are either with us or with the terrorists"!
Some people are just against the occupations.. that doesn't mean supporting any specfic group!

If you think france want a stable independent region then you are naive.. France is behind many militants groups here and there and among them many of these so called islamist groups who they use in their conflict!

Instability is what france constantly generate while it claim to be there to create stability.

Again you do not understand that region of the world..

I might not and probably neither do you.. every region is indeed very complex like our own region which is also very complex in so many ways..
For sure there are many different factors at play here and many radical different identities, political ideologies in Mali itself even among the Tuareg people belonging to different tribes across the region etc.. but all of this is an obvious thing and many of the issues the region is facing is due to the colonial power which is still in the region dictating and exploiting it by divide and rule this is clearly the case no matter how complex the case is!

speaking in general.. our levant region and that region might be very different in the details but we are both dealing with very similar problems..

Do france have some kind of support in the region obviously it does specially among warlords and those who benefit from it but the vast majority no matter the ethnic affiliation and the divisions among themselves clearly are against it and see it as occupation and a continuing of the french colonialism exploiting their region!

Mrsrx

Not an expert!
Staff member
So did the Vichy regime when France was under Nazi occupation!
Using you logic then Vichy France was all legit and the Nazi occupation wasn't an occupation!

Or if we take a closer example.. Lebanon was never occupied by the Syrian regime!
France did not topple the current regimes. If you want to dig deeper into the situation the region has been unstable for a long long time and when France came back in 2013 there were no French soldiers and they were asked to intervene so if you want to make parallels should we start applying the same to Saudi influence (or iran or usa) if there are no boots on the ground. If this is the game of course France a nuclear power is exercising influence and largely economic and currency.

I might not and probably neither do you

Again wrong as i am relaying the opinion of many friends from Mali and not mine.
Oh and sorry if it hurts your feeling calling Qaeda affiliated (by their own admission) groups terrorists...
where are your posts about the missing boys and girls from schools kidnapped to become soldiers or be sold and married off? that is happening in Sahel and that is who the fight is against there...

O Brother

Legendary Member
France did not topple the current regimes. If you want to dig deeper into the situation the region has been unstable for a long long time and when France came back in 2013 there were no French soldiers and they were asked to intervene so if you want to make parallels should we start applying the same to Saudi influence (or iran or usa) if there are no boots on the ground. If this is the game of course France a nuclear power is exercising influence and largely economic and currency.

Most of the issues we speak of today are inherited from the colonial era!

You speak of france coming back in 2013 while in truth france never left to come back.. if speaking solely military then yes france for some good reasons is forced to intervene every now and then at least once every decade to maintain its influence!

So ya france is indeed exercising its colonial influence over country making sure to exploit it all!
After all this is how france makes its living from exploiting weaker countries!

Again wrong as i am relaying the opinion of many friends from Mali and not mine.
Oh and sorry if it hurts your feeling calling Qaeda affiliated (by their own admission) groups terrorists...
where are your posts about the missing boys and girls from schools kidnapped to become soldiers or be sold and married off? that is happening in Sahel and that is who the fight is against there...

What makes you think you are the only one with friends from Mali even though my opinion is mostly from what I believe and from what I know about Mali and the region and my interest in the Tuareg people in general and their life style and culture which I respect very much and love!

And I wasn't complaining about calling al qaeda terrorists.. clearly they were behind many atrocities carried out in many countries that involve killing of innocent civilians! But so is the terrorist state France actually france was and is behind the most evil and cruel crimes in our modern history specially in Africa a evil policy which they are continuing with to this day and a history of evil that is not comparable to these stateless extremist groups!

And still here you are.. want to speak about these so called terrorist "Islamists" while shedding tears for few dead french terrorist soldiers!

What you are not willing to understand that france is the one who gave ground for these extremist groups and still do by occupying the land!
Even further more.. france made sure different extremist groups gets armed and so to give themselves a legitimacy of fighting terrorists and maintaining order while order is nowhere to be found as france exploit one of the world poorest people and steal their resources!

The french constant involvement since colonial time to its current neocolonial time made the situation only worst!

the economic/financial dominance france have over the region is one of the exploitation I'm speaking of..
the franc zone is part of their inherited colonial dominance over the region.. so for the people of the region their fight is with colonial france despite all their differences and all their divisions!

France can not be part of the solution because france is the real enemy of that region and the one exploiting it by all means!
And so france will make sure the region to stay destabilized and so by giving ground to warlords, extremist religious groups, dictators etc!

But france know very well that they will be loosing their influence sooner or later despite all their interventions to maintain it!
france is now being forced to replace or "reform" their franc zone with something else.. with something more suitable with our age and times
They are simply trying to find a way to continue exploiting many african countries in a way which is not so obvious like it is today!
ye3ni the "colonial tax" some African countries still pay to Paris sounds very odd so introducing fake "reforms" is a must do for france!

So in the end it was never about some of the boys and girls you feel sorry for!
And sadly many people like yourself don't seems to feel so much sorry or equally sorry for the thousands of children being exploited in these french owned mines in Africa!