• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Man guilty of hate crime for filming pug's 'Nazi salutes'

SeaAb

Legendary Member
Staff member
Super Penguin
Man guilty of hate crime over 'Nazi pug'

A man who filmed a pet dog giving Nazi salutes before putting the footage on YouTube has been convicted of committing a hate crime.

Mark Meechan, 30, recorded his girlfriend's pug, Buddha, responding to statements such as "gas the Jews" and "Sieg Heil" by raising its paw.

But police were alerted and he was arrested for allegedly committing a hate crime.

The original clip had been viewed more than three million times on YouTube.

Grossly offensive

Meechan, of Coatbridge, Lanarkshire, went on trial at Airdrie Sheriff Court where he denied any wrong doing.

He insisted he made the video, which was posted in April 2016, to annoy his girlfriend Suzanne Kelly, 29.

But Sheriff Derek O'Carroll found him guilty of a charge under the Communications Act that he posted a video on social media and YouTube which was grossly offensive because it was "anti-semitic and racist in nature" and was aggravated by religious prejudice.

Sheriff O'Carroll told the court he did not believe Meechan had made the video only to annoy his girlfriend and ruled it was anti-Semitic.

He also said he believed Meechan - who was supported at court by Tommy Robinson, former leader of far-right group the English Defence League (EDL) - left the video on YouTube to drive traffic to other material he had on there.

He added: "In my view it is a reasonable conclusion that the video is grossly offensive

"The description of the video as humorous is no magic wand.

"This court has taken the freedom of expression into consideration.

"But the right to freedom of expression also comes with responsibility."

'Intelligent and articulate'

Sheriff O'Carroll said Meehan was "quite obviously an intelligent and articulate man".

But he added: "The accused knew that the material was offensive and knew why it was offensive.

"Despite that the accused made a video containing anti-Semitic content and he would have known it was grossly offensive to many Jewish people."

Ross Brown, defending, said Meechan had only intended the video to be seen by a small group of friends and to annoy his girlfriend.

He said the material had been leaked and gone viral but Police Scotland then wrongly pursued Meechan despite his later videos attempting to "set the record straight".

Mr Brown said: "His girlfriend testified that Mr Meechan had never made known to her any any anti-Semitic views whatsoever.

"The accused possesses both tolerant and liberal views.

"His girlfriend is in no doubt it was an example of his sense of humour."

Famous support

Mr Brown told the court it was wrong to focus on the phrase "gas the Jews" when it had been taken out of context of the whole video.

He claimed Jewish comedian David Baddiel had voiced his support for Meechan and had asked for him to walk free.

He added: "I can see that the video may not be to everyone's taste.

"Others may be able to see the comedic or satirical element to it.

"The court should seek to acquit Mr Meechan for no other reason but to show it is 2018 and not 1984."

Prosecutors had earlier asked for Meechan to be convicted and branded the video "an odious criminal act that was dressed up to look like a joke."

Comedian Ricky Gervais took to Twitter to comment on the case after the verdict.

He tweeted: "A man has been convicted in a UK court of making a joke that was deemed 'grossly offensive'.

"If you don't believe in a person's right to say things that you might find 'grossly offensive', then you don't believe in Freedom of Speech."

The Bidenator

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
A pug that can do the Hitler salute?

That's ****ing hilarious!

(Pugs are still the ugliest dogs ever... Yeah I said it!)

GrumpForTrump

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Yet Britain continues to harbor Salafist sheikhs under the guise or freedom of speech.

Islam prescribes the death sentence for apostates. I wonder how this not qualifies as a hate crime?

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
Orange Room Supporter

The joke being hilarious or not is not the point, the point is censorship over a damn joke.
Same thing happend with peediepie when he asked two guys to write on a banner something abt jews, they came fir his head and the poor guus who responded to it were kicked off the platform.

Also 100% agree, pugs are just ugly, look weird act weird and always seem to hav just finished a 10k marathon..

The Bidenator

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
The joke being hilarious or not is not the point, the point is censorship over a damn joke.
Same thing happend with peediepie when he asked two guys to write on a banner something abt jews, they came fir his head and the poor guus who responded to it were kicked off the platform.

Also 100% agree, pugs are just ugly, look weird act weird and always seem to hav just finished a 10k marathon..

No argument from me, I agree with you.

Arrests like this turn public opinion against the anti-defamation laws that were created under entirely different circumstances and for entirely different purposes. These circumstances and purposes still hold true today, as antisemitism is on the rise in Europe. This arrest hurts Jews way more than it helps them.

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
Man guilty of hate crime over 'Nazi pug'

A man who filmed a pet dog giving Nazi salutes before putting the footage on YouTube has been convicted of committing a hate crime.

Mark Meechan, 30, recorded his girlfriend's pug, Buddha, responding to statements such as "gas the Jews" and "Sieg Heil" by raising its paw.

But police were alerted and he was arrested for allegedly committing a hate crime.

The original clip had been viewed more than three million times on YouTube.

Grossly offensive

Meechan, of Coatbridge, Lanarkshire, went on trial at Airdrie Sheriff Court where he denied any wrong doing.

He insisted he made the video, which was posted in April 2016, to annoy his girlfriend Suzanne Kelly, 29.

But Sheriff Derek O'Carroll found him guilty of a charge under the Communications Act that he posted a video on social media and YouTube which was grossly offensive because it was "anti-semitic and racist in nature" and was aggravated by religious prejudice.

Sheriff O'Carroll told the court he did not believe Meechan had made the video only to annoy his girlfriend and ruled it was anti-Semitic.

He also said he believed Meechan - who was supported at court by Tommy Robinson, former leader of far-right group the English Defence League (EDL) - left the video on YouTube to drive traffic to other material he had on there.

He added: "In my view it is a reasonable conclusion that the video is grossly offensive

"The description of the video as humorous is no magic wand.

"This court has taken the freedom of expression into consideration.

"But the right to freedom of expression also comes with responsibility."

'Intelligent and articulate'

Sheriff O'Carroll said Meehan was "quite obviously an intelligent and articulate man".

But he added: "The accused knew that the material was offensive and knew why it was offensive.

"Despite that the accused made a video containing anti-Semitic content and he would have known it was grossly offensive to many Jewish people."

Ross Brown, defending, said Meechan had only intended the video to be seen by a small group of friends and to annoy his girlfriend.

He said the material had been leaked and gone viral but Police Scotland then wrongly pursued Meechan despite his later videos attempting to "set the record straight".

Mr Brown said: "His girlfriend testified that Mr Meechan had never made known to her any any anti-Semitic views whatsoever.

"The accused possesses both tolerant and liberal views.

"His girlfriend is in no doubt it was an example of his sense of humour."

Famous support

Mr Brown told the court it was wrong to focus on the phrase "gas the Jews" when it had been taken out of context of the whole video.

He claimed Jewish comedian David Baddiel had voiced his support for Meechan and had asked for him to walk free.

He added: "I can see that the video may not be to everyone's taste.

"Others may be able to see the comedic or satirical element to it.

"The court should seek to acquit Mr Meechan for no other reason but to show it is 2018 and not 1984."

Prosecutors had earlier asked for Meechan to be convicted and branded the video "an odious criminal act that was dressed up to look like a joke."

Comedian Ricky Gervais took to Twitter to comment on the case after the verdict.

He tweeted: "A man has been convicted in a UK court of making a joke that was deemed 'grossly offensive'.

"If you don't believe in a person's right to say things that you might find 'grossly offensive', then you don't believe in Freedom of Speech."

Stupid, but hardly a crime.

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter

@SeaAb posted the vid in the chat, if you watch it it goes beyond Hitler salute and the guy just repeats over and over gas the Jews!

Now I don't think he should be sent to jail, but I also don't think he was very funny!! Actually he wasn't funny at all!

Edit: vid in question:

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter

the state has no right deciding the premise of a joke and judge whether its acceptable or not @Isabella

There are laws in place that ban hate speech! In France you cannot joke about the Holocaust masalan or deny the Armenian genocide... it's literally against the law!

It wasn't about deciding the premise of a joke either, it wasn't a joke! Not unless gas the Jews is particularly hilarious!

Death To Google

Funny or not, making speech about "Holocaust denial" or even "Holocaust revisionist history" illegal is authoritarianism and dystopian.
In this case, the mere idea of training the dog to respond to "gas the jews" or doing Nazi salute is funny :)

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
Orange Room Supporter
There are laws in place that ban hate speech! In France you cannot joke about the Holocaust masalan or deny the Armenian genocide... it's literally against the law!

It wasn't about deciding the premise of a joke either, it wasn't a joke! Not unless gas the Jews is particularly hilarious!

the guy is a youtube comedian count dankula, he makes lots of jokes and his gf annoys him with her pug so he made videos of the dog doing silly things so she cant say hes cute.

even youtube, the mother of all censorships, said they're okay with the video and didnt remove it.

so yea the state decided the premise of the joke, denied him his rights to do the joke and is now sending him to prison for hate speech for a shitpost video.

Not every person talking about jews should be put in jail. AFAIK.

i cant even start to think how anyone doenst see that as censorship of free speech. hte actual conviction is being #GrosslyOffensive

Death To Google

Friend of mine dressed up as a Nazi on Halloween in the US and ruffled quite a few feathers. He also told people that was an Arab and has gun (while drunk). They sent a police unit to investigate claims of a Nazi Arab intoxicated man with lethal weapons, few days later. :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

It was shocking to me the reaction from a Halloween costume... its supposed to be scary in the first place no?
Someone explain this sensitivity.

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
the guy is a youtube comedian count dankula, he makes lots of jokes and his gf annoys him with her pug so he made videos of the dog doing silly things so she cant say hes cute.

even youtube, the mother of all censorships, said they're okay with the video and didnt remove it.

so yea the state decided the premise of the joke, denied him his rights to do the joke and is now sending him to prison for hate speech for a shitpost video.

Not every person talking about jews should be put in jail. AFAIK.

i cant even start to think how anyone doenst see that as censorship of free speech. hte actual conviction is being #GrosslyOffensive

As previously stated I don't think he should be sent to jail! I also don't think he was funny, not in the slightest!

Repeating over and over gas the Jews to a dog so he starts responding to that command does not constitute a joke!

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
Orange Room Supporter
As previously stated I don't think he should be sent to jail! I also don't think he was funny, not in the slightest!
why are we arguing then? :pompus:

Repeating over and over gas the Jews to a dog so he starts responding to that command does not constitute a joke!
thats for nobody to decide other than the person doing it, and very blatantly explaining it before the video :)

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
why are we arguing then? :pompus:

thats for nobody to decide other than the person doing it, and very blatantly explaining it before the video :)

See his explanation actually works against him, he knew the meaning and history behind the words he took so lightly and taught his dog to react to as a "joke"! The court actually took the context of his "joke" into consideration! So it's not like he is being offensive because of stupidity or lack of education, he was just being offensive for laughter I guess since he calls himself a comedian!

Also yes people do decide what's humorous and what's not! I can't just teach my cat to react to me saying kill all men and tell you hey I just did that to annoy my husband and it's a joke haha!

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
Orange Room Supporter
See his explanation actually works against him, he knew the meaning and history behind the words he took so lightly and taught his dog to react to as a "joke"! The court actually took the context of his "joke" into consideration!
the court only took being greatly offensive to the public into consideration.

not a single person of the 3M views on utube reported the video, not one jewish organization reported it or talked about it, nothing, nichts, nada..

the state decided on its own volition that in a multicultural society such acts to be considered grossly offesnsive and hate speech.

7 months in prison :D

Also yes people do decide what's humorous and what's not! I can't just teach my cat to react to me saying kill all men and tell you hey I just did that to annoy my husband and it's a joke haha!
yes, yes you can, the public judges whether ur joke is funny or not, but it is 100% in your right to do that joke.