• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Man guilty of hate crime for filming pug's 'Nazi salutes'

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
the court only took being greatly offensive to the public into consideration.

not a single person of the 3M views on utube reported the video, not one jewish organization reported it or talked about it, nothing, nichts, nada..

the state decided on its own volition that in a multicultural society such acts to be considered grossly offesnsive and hate speech.

7 months in prison :D

yes, yes you can, the public judges whether ur joke is funny or not, but it is 100% in your right to do that joke.

No actually they did and a rabbi testified against him in court! The only reason he was sent to court in the first place is because people reported his video!

Such acts are considered hate speech because they actually are hate speech even in a "humorous" scenario! There is nothing funny about nazis or the Holocaust! Certainly not when it's taken lightly to the point of teaching a dog to react to something such as gas the Jews in order to annoy your girlfriend!

He was not sentenced yet as well, he will be sentenced in a month... I still don't think he should be sent to jail over this... He should issue an apology or a fine of some sorts in my opinion but we'll see what happens

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
Orange Room Supporter
No actually they did and a rabbi testified against him in court! The only reason he was sent to court in the first place is because people reported his video!

Such acts are considered hate speech because they actually are hate speech even in a "humorous" scenario! There is nothing funny about nazis or the Holocaust! Certainly not when it's taken lightly to the point of teaching a dog to react to something such as gas the Jews in order to annoy your girlfriend!

He was not sentenced yet as well, he will be sentenced in a month... I still don't think he should be sent to jail over this... He should issue an apology or a fine of some sorts in my opinion but we'll see what happens

nop the prosecution is by the state of scotland not 3rd parties, of course they are going to get people to testify against him..

still not an offense to teach your dog pavlovian reflexes upon hearing certain words and then post it on utube.

hate speech is for limiting people from attacking communities and discriminating against them.

its about his right to have a terrible sense of humor point a la ligne and such

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
nop the prosecution is by the state of scotland not 3rd parties, of course they are going to get people to testify against him..

still not an offense to teach your dog pavlovian reflexes upon hearing certain words and then post it on utube.

hate speech is for limiting people from attacking communities and discriminating against them.

its about his right to have a terrible sense of humor point a la ligne and such

freedom of speech still has its limitations in all countries! There are some subjects you cannot even joke about, the Holocaust is one of them! You can feel free to test the limits of this law in France by going around yelling gas the Jews in a crowded street and telling everyone you're joking, when the cops show up however you cannot hide behind freedom of speech, or that you were just making an innocent joke!

Now I find this guy offensive to both human beings and dogs! However I still don't think he should go to jail! I hope he understands that certain subjects are way too serious to make fun of, gas chambers being one of them... But if he does indeed get sentenced to jail in a month, then I'm on his side in that scenario... Despite his "joke" being absolutely horrible and offensive it was not done with the aim of promoting violence or discrimination!

I will not however pretend like I agree with his assessment that this was a joke! Or that I think people should have a right to joke about whatever they want, because i don't!

Last edited:

GrumpForTrump

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
freedom of speech still has its limitations in all countries! There are some subjects you cannot even joke about, the Holocaust is one of them! You can feel free to test the limits of this law in France by going around yelling gas the Jews in a crowded street and telling everyone you're joking, when the cops show up however you cannot hide behind freedom of speech, or that you were just making an innocent joke!

Now I find this guy offensive to both human beings and dogs! However I still don't think he should go to jail! I hope he understands that certain subjects are way too serious to make fun of, gas chambers being one of them... But if he does indeed get sentenced to jail in a month, then I'm on his side in that scenario... Despite his "joke" being absolutely horrible and offensive it was not done with the aim of promoting violence or discrimination!

I will not however pretend like I agree with his assessment that this was a joke! Or that I think people should have a right to joke about whatever they want, because i don't!

Sorry Isa, I'm on @Iron Maiden's side this time. No one should be punished for making a joke, even if that joke is done in bad taste.

Just because someone imitates Hitler or teaches his dog Nazi tricks, doesn't mean he's anti-Semitic.

Europeans need to get over their Holocaust guilt and start thinking rationally.

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
Sorry Isa, I'm on @Iron Maiden's side this time. No one should be punished for making a joke, even if that joke is done in bad taste.

Just because someone imitates Hitler or teaches his dog Nazi tricks, doesn't mean he's anti-Semitic.

Europeans need to get over their Holocaust guilt and start thinking rationally.

Once again I have stated multiple times that I don't think he should be sent to jail! I don't think his joke was funny and I totally think he was offensive but I don't think he was inticing violence or hate in any way shape or form and thus should not be sentenced to serve time in prison! I think his sentence should be something like a formal apology or a fine not above $200..

Also the Holocaust denial laws are in place for a reason! It's a horrible event that has happened in history that should never ever be repeated! Certainly not when neo Nazis are still gaining momentum in Europe and elsewhere! I agree with laws punishing Holocaust denial or the denial of the Armenian genocide or any kind of other terrible human tragedy! Millions of people lost their lives because of their ethnicity or religion... We should never ever take that lightly or forget that at a certain point in time people were put to death just because they were born that way!

GrumpForTrump

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Once again I have stated multiple times that I don't think he should be sent to jail! I don't think his joke was funny and I totally think he was offensive but I don't think he was inticing violence or hate in any way shape or form and thus should not be sentenced to serve time in prison! I think his sentence should be something like a formal apology or a fine not above $200..

Also the Holocaust denial laws are in place for a reason! It's a horrible event that has happened in history that should never ever be repeated! Certainly not when neo Nazis are still gaining momentum in Europe and elsewhere! I agree with laws punishing Holocaust denial or the denial of the Armenian genocide or any kind of other terrible human tragedy! Millions of people lost their lives because of their ethnicity or religion... We should never ever take that lightly or forget that at a certain point in time people were put to death just because they were born that way!

So we have to right to ridicule other people's gods and religious beliefs, which they consider to be sacred, but historical events like the Holocaust are out of the question?

That's kinda hypocritical.

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
Orange Room Supporter

Laws against Holocaust denial - Wikipedia

the uk does not have such laws, and when it comes to free speech it has the most liberal one on the planet.

people forget that the uk is or at least used to be, a beacon of free thinking and philosophical debate, but people also knew that when they publicly exposed their thoughts they ought to be prepared to be rebuffed, ridiculed and publicly lampooned if they came up with idiotic drivel.

the problem is now that this persecution sets a precedent for state censorship, ironically something that hasnt been done since the uk was figting the nazis

GrumpForTrump

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
It's funny. Making jokes about the Holocaust is a crime. Meanwhile, satirizing the death of innocent Syrian children is completely legal.

IMG-1-Charlie-Hebdo-gennaio-2016.jpg

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
Laws against Holocaust denial - Wikipedia

the uk does not have such laws, and when it comes to free speech it has the most liberal one on the planet.

people forget that the uk is or at least used to be, a beacon of free thinking and philosophical debate, but people also knew that when they publicly exposed their thoughts they ought to be prepared to be rebuffed, ridiculed and publicly lampooned if they came up with idiotic drivel.

the problem is now that this persecution sets a precedent for state censorship, ironically something that hasnt been done since the uk was figting the nazis

I see where you are coming from and I agree that it sets a dangerous precedent for state sponsored censorship. my assessment of the situation just stopped at me thinking the guy was incredibly offensive, but I also think he should not be sent to jail just for being offensive! The line should be drawn at inticing violence or hate imo and neither of those were available in this scenario

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
So we have to right to ridicule other people's gods and religious beliefs, which they consider to be sacred, but historical events like the Holocaust are out of the question?

That's kinda hypocritical.

The key word here is they consider to be sacred! When you deny the Holocaust took place or take it lightly you are effectively diminishing its impact! Now I can talk about the French law more specifically:

It is illegal to question the existence or size of crimes against humanity these crimes include Holocaust denial, Armenian genocide denial and slavery denial.

In addition to this it is also punishable by law up to 5 years in prison and a 45000 euro fine any speech that calls for violence against anyone based on their ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, handicap etc. Also making excuses, apologies or defending crimes against humanity. And any call for theft, sexual assault, violence, terrorism etc. There's a full list about this as well

Anyway there's a significant difference between someone repeating over and over again gas the Jews and someone making fun of someone else's belief!

GrumpForTrump

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
The key word here is they consider to be sacred! When you deny the Holocaust took place or take it lightly you are effectively diminishing its impact! Now I can talk about the French law more specifically:

It is illegal to question the existence or size of crimes against humanity these crimes include Holocaust denial, Armenian genocide denial and slavery denial.

In addition to this it is also punishable by law up to 5 years in prison and a 45000 euro fine any speech that calls for violence against anyone based on their ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, handicap etc. Also making excuses, apologies or defending crimes against humanity. And any call for theft, sexual assault, violence, terrorism etc. There's a full list about this as well

Anyway there's a significant difference between someone repeating over and over again gas the Jews and someone making fun of someone else's belief!

Muslim imams spew hate against Jews, apostates, pagans... yet they are protected by French law.
Shouldn't Islam be also categorized as hate speech ?

If you went into some mosques and filmed the Imam's Friday sermon, you'd have a far more offensive video than Hitler The Pug.

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
Muslim imams spew hate against Jews, apostates, pagans... yet they are protected by French law.
Shouldn't Islam be also categorized as hate speech ?

If you went into some mosques and filmed the Imam's Friday sermon, you'd have a far more offensive video than Hitler The Pug.

Yes they should be punished if they are inticing hate, violence, terrorism against anyone! However in most cases these people's sermons rarely get reported.

GrumpForTrump

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Yes they should be punished if they are inticing hate, violence, terrorism against anyone! However in most cases these people's sermons rarely get reported.

I need to give this more thought. I still can't make up my mind. It's a tricky subject.