• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Maradona Vs Messi

BOILER

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Maradona himself is saying that when he was at Messi's current age, his game was much less than what Messi is offering.
Maradona added that the performance of Messi has developed very fast concerning his age.

So, can we consider from now that Messi is a better player than Maradona?

Or should he win a world cup for Argentina first?

Fuhrer

Winning a world cup is essential for Messi to surpass Maradona..and Pele. Words can't describe this guy. I think we all agree that he has a very big chance of being considered the best player to ever touch a football.

sev

He has the potential to be greatest player of all time. But he has to lead Argentina into WC title for sure.

But yes he is out of this world. He is joy to watch

Osiris

Exactly. He has to lead Argentina to the WC title. Maradona did it in 86 and almost 90 with a very average national team.

Moreover, Messi is playing for the best football club in the world alongside the best players. Maradona led Napoli, a humble club, to 2 Italian titles..

Ba3den football changed dramatically. Nowadays, the players are well protected, the slightest foul would result in a yellow card.. Not in Maradona era.

BOILER

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Exactly. He has to lead Argentina to the WC title. Maradona did it in 86 and almost 90 with a very average national team.

Moreover, Messi is playing for the best football club in the world alongside the best players. Maradona led Napoli, a humble club, to 2 Italian titles..

Ba3den football changed dramatically. Nowadays, the players are well protected, the slightest foul would result in a yellow card.. Not in Maradona era.

Maradona is a legend.
Do you think football nowadays can bring new legends like Pele or this time is over?

Danny Z

Legendary Member
The same was said of Ronaldo and Cristiano Ronaldo. There is no great player in football, This is not basketball and one player can't make a team. Without a team that performs the player will be overshadowed. Players like Chris Waddle; Cantona and Butragueno have been forgotten, while names like Palo Rossi still ring today.

BOILER

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
The same was said of Ronaldo and Cristiano Ronaldo. There is no great player in football, This is not basketball and one player can't make a team. Without a team that performs the player will be overshadowed. Players like Chris Waddle; Cantona and Butragueno have been forgotten, while names like Palo Rossi still ring today.

Are you sure Cantona is forgotten?

AJ_812

la illah 2illa al allah :thumbsup:

Maradona is just trying to be humble and serving his duties as coach to motivate his star player. Diego Maradona was the greatest there ever was and greatest there ever will be. there is simply no comparison even if the man himself is doing it. messi is incredibly talented but flamboyant? NO. actually quite boring at times and lacks consistency on an international level, he is yet to prove him self in that arena. Hats off for his efforts with Barcelona but it's the World Cup that makes the player, its where the player establishes him self, its where the player becoems more than just that but an Icon a part of folklore. If Messi fails to deliver in south africa than i couldnt careless if he score a hatrick in every game for Barca in my books he will considered a FRAUD!!!!

freakish as he might be, but if he lets us down in South africa then 3a mazbalet al tareekhhhhhhhhhhh

Viva Argentina!!!

sev

I do not like the argument of " WC makes the player".
Its not fair, as players like shevachenko, Ibrahimovic, Weah never got to play advanced stages in international football mainly because their nations suck.

But messi has to deliver a WC title for Argentina, because he has very strong squad around him.

AJ_812

So do the other 10 players on the field this team is not built around Messi and we must always keep that in mind when comparing him to Diego Maradona. if this team doesnt win the world cup they must be shot then hung in Buenos Aires square.

sev

Hope Milan sign him.
Now,eventually they would, in like 2020.

Exactly, He should move to Italian Serie A. Latin Americans dont fit EPL at all. EPL is more about power, then technic.Its more suited to africans.
So He should move to serie a, because in Serie A there is more competition and his leadership will be tested alot more then in la liga.

Weezy

Maradona is a legend.
Do you think football nowadays can bring new legends like Pele or this time is over?

We have Zidane, whom I think was better than both Pele and Maradona. Football these days isnt like what it used to be in the 50s/60s or late 80s.

Weezy

Exactly, He should move to Italian Serie A. Latin Americans dont fit EPL at all. EPL is more about power, then technic.Its more suited to africans.
So He should move to serie a, because in Serie A there is more competition and his leadership will be tested alot more then in la liga.

Eto excelled in the spanish league, so did ronaldo in the epl. And plz tell me how the hell is the Serie A more competitive than the EPL?

I dont think messi is suitable for Serie A, it requires a strong physique and the games dont have a lot of room for techniques and skills such as those of ronaldo or messi.

sev

Eto excelled in the spanish league, so did ronaldo in the epl. And plz tell me how the hell is the Serie A more competitive than the EPL?

I dont think messi is suitable for Serie A, it requires a strong physique and the games dont have a lot of room for techniques and skills such as those of ronaldo or messi.

Hehe man. EPL is the physique league, not serie a.Haha...
There are 11 brazilians in EPL I think, 5 argentinians only...
In Serie A there are much more. There is 24 argentinian player in Serie A, 21 brazilian players..If I count correct for Serie A.

Yet english premier league has more foreigners then serie a. Because its full of africans,french players ( TO Be precise, physical players).EPL is just superior league to Serie A in physical game and power..
Robinho , Elano failed in EPL but I think they would have been stars in Serie A. I would add Veron, Mutu all this players were highly technical but couldnt get it done in EPL...
Ronaldinho is a star in Serie A because of his technic, but he wouldnt be in EPL.

I dont think Messi fits EPL AT all... Also Argentinians fit Serie A the best, even better then brazilians

BOILER

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
So, can we consider from now that Messi is a better player than Maradona?

Or should he win a world cup for Argentina first?

Footballers must win the World Cup before they can be considered one of the sport's greats, according to Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi.

The Argentine playmaker has been in blistering recent form for the Spanish and European champions, scoring 11 goals in five matches - including two La Liga hat-tricks - to prompt comparisons between him, compatriot Diego Maradona and Brazil's Pele.

But the diminutive player - he stands just 5'7" - recognises that his CV will not be complete until he has tasted glory on football's biggest stage.

"To become a legend, to be great, you also have to win a World Cup," Messi told Spanish daily El Mundo.

"I have only just turned 22," he added. "It's all happening very quickly and you have to stay calm.

"I never intend to disrespect anyone. I just play football. In my own way."

Messi's manager Pep Guardiola also weighed in on the argument - and claimed that his key man, while brilliant, cannot be compared to the other greats until the end of his playing career.

"The comparison with the four best players of all time can only be made when he retires," he said.

"For my generation, Maradona is the greatest that we have seen and I don't think that will change.

"We have to let Leo get on with his career because he is very young and we need to give him continuity, for the good of the game," he said.