• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Mashrou' Leila and homophobia in Egypt

• Advertisement
  • Drama Queen

Drama Queen

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    And now joking is a criminal offense in Egypt.

[article]The lawyer, Samir Sabry, made a claim stating: “at a time when all the state agencies are working to restore tourism, singer Sherine Abdel Wahab has ridiculed [Egypt] in a mean way while giving a concert in Lebanon, when she responded to fan, who requested that she sings ‘Mashrebtesh min Nelha’, by saying ‘you will catch bilharzia.'”

‘Mashrebtesh min Nelha’ is a song by Abdel Wahab which translates to ‘haven’t you drunk from its Nile?’. Bilharzia is a disease common in contaminated freshwater.

At the concert, Abdel Wahab advised the fan to drink ‘Evian’ mineral water instead.
    [/article]

Gosh this country keeps getting backward.

#jarabs

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Her description is very uhhh... For lack of a better word, graphic!! I mean jeez, chill lady damn! Also women do rape people, granted less than men but yay for equality, we can also be rapists (this is dark humour @Iron Maiden :p)

But I don't think she deserves to be under investigation for this

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    Her description is very uhhh... For lack of a better word, graphic!! I mean jeez, chill lady damn! Also women do rape people, granted less than men but yay for equality, we can also be rapists (this is dark humour @Iron Maiden :p)

And arent we all a bit jollier for it :)

Now for some more dark humor because why the hell not IMG_4535.PNG

spacecreature

spacecreature

This sounded like an "eguypsian" riddle : Toli3 wma3adshi yinzal, ma houwa? I had no idea what she was on about :( Next time she needs photographs to illustrate.

This is turning into let's bash Egypt thread. Didn't they have the first Arab veiled sexologist TV show host at one point? I remember it made such a big deal she was interviewed by cnn. I think she even opened the first sex shop or something in the Arab world

He got 3 years for bearly touching her dress??? Wow that's a bit extreme!! Even terrorists arent getting that much. That woman should never travel to Italy. They do much more, and this is part of "flirting".

SeaAb

SeaAb

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    This sounded like an "eguypsian" riddle : Toli3 wma3adshi yinzal, ma houwa? I had no idea what she was on about :( Next time she needs photographs to illustrate.

This is turning into let's bash Egypt thread. Didn't they have the first Arab veiled sexologist TV show host at one point? I remember it made such a big deal she was interviewed by cnn. I think she even opened the first sex shop or something in the Arab world

He got 3 years for bearly touching her dress??? Wow that's a bit extreme!! Even terrorists arent getting that much. That woman should never travel to Italy. They do much more, and this is part of "flirting".
    Almost every woman in Egypt has been sexually harassed at some point in her life. It's getting out of hand there.

L

Libanes

Mashrou3 Leila is probably more dignified than 99% of the Islamic clerics in the Arab world.

Drama Queen

Drama Queen

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    "An Egyptian LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ+ activist who was arrested and tortured for flying he Pride flag at a concert in her home country has died by suicide on Saturday while in exile in Canada, according to grieving social media posts.

Sarah Hejazi, who identified as a gay woman, passed away nearly three years after her arrest. She was 30 years old, according to the posts.

In 2017, Hegazi was among dozens arrested after raising the rainbow flag at the crowded Cairo concert of progressive Lebanese indie band Mashrou' Leila, whose frontman is openly gay."

This is the note she left:

EafNobQXYAAScW-.jpeg