• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

May 7 2008: Protests, Clashes and Aftermath

• Advertisement
  • Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    halla2 ye3ne the reward for walid jumblats action is helping get marwan 7mede re-elected, i am lost here
    I dont think it was HA that got him reelected. But even if they did, why not?
    What is wrong with that? Maybe he became a good man, just like Saad became a good boy and an ally and PM after Aoun wrote a book about Hariri corruption.

Muki

Muki

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    This thread needs a title change @Dr. Strangelove @loubnaniTO @ORMOD @SeaAb. How biased can you get.

Protests? Are you kidding me? You call that protests?

I suggest something more truthful and accurate, such as:

Iranian proxy launches military assault against Lebanese government, political opponents - In Pictures

SeaAb

SeaAb

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    This thread needs a title change @Dr. Strangelove @loubnaniTO @ORMOD @SeaAb. How biased can you get.

Protests? Are you kidding me? You call that protests?

I suggest something more truthful and accurate, such as:

Iranian proxy launches military assault against Lebanese government, political opponents - In Pictures
    That day started with protests before all the action began...

Muki

Muki

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Clearly it was much more than protests, because Hizbullah and puppets camped for two years in downtown (that's a protest) and it led to nothing.

EDIT: Anyways, since the thread is being revived by someone celebrating the outcomes of the events, I feel it is only appropriate and prudent to change the title of the thread to something more accurate and true.

The_FPMer

The_FPMer

Clearly it was much more than protests, because Hizbullah and puppets camped for two years in downtown (that's a protest) and it led to nothing.

EDIT: Anyways, since the thread is being revived by someone celebrating the outcomes of the events, I feel it is only appropriate and prudent to change the title of the thread to something more accurate and true.
    To be fair, they did picket Al-Moustaqbal's building. Are they honestly to blame because the office had arcing faults?

Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove

Nuclear War Expert
    Staff member
    The thread needs a renaming anyway, since there is no dedicated thread on the matter and this one was originally just for posting pictures.

Changed the title. If anyone has an opinion on the matter, please let me know.

Drama Queen

Drama Queen

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    But you do usually update thread titles as new details emerge.

The 2008 events may have started as a protest but they turned into an armed occupation of Beirut.
    Calling them protests is as accurate as calling the Syrian Civil War "March 25 protests".
    I'm with @Big Brother on this. There's clearly a pro-March 8 bias going on here and we'll start a petition to have that thread title changed.

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member

The opposition camped for two years and protested and an entire sect was not represented in govt in a sectarian govt with a sectarian system based on sectarian quotas. The opposition did not take to violence. It got to a point that the FM, the main party in govt started training militiamen from the north and west Beqaa in beirut, under the cover of security companies and gave them arms and created security zones. The peaceful opposition protests were not tolerated any longer. The govt militias felt empowered. The govt militiamen started shooting at protesters and wanted to silence opposition protests. After the two decisions by the illegitimate govt of the thief, Saniora, the opposition resorted to arms. And the pro govt militiamen fell within hours and ran away. Thay became known as the May 7 clashes.

I am not celebrating the event, even though it was indeed a glorious day when fitnah was beaten. I only revived the thread to remind those who may still hold evil imaginations to start any upheaval. They should take heed from May 7. We are not cautioning them because we are scared. Far from it. We are cautioning them so they dont end up gambling with the security, coexistence, peace and future of the country one more time like they tried to do on May 5. If they do, or try to act irrationally, they will end up regretting again and regret will be of no benefit afterwards and it will certainly be a bigger regret.

Muki

Muki

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    The thread needs a renaming anyway, since there is no dedicated thread on the matter and this one was originally just for posting pictures.

Changed the title. If anyone has an opinion on the matter, please let me know.
    I have an opinion. Calling a militia rebelling against Government of Lebanon's decisions a simple "protest" is disingenuous and regurgitation of propaganda and narrative of said militia. Those "celebrating" aren't celebrating a protest, they're celebrating threats of violence and issuing blanket threats against Lebanese citizens who do not consider Hizbullah above criticism.

It is only a matter of time before other Lebanese citizens arm themselves in defense of their dignity.

Muki

Muki

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    But you do usually update thread titles as new details emerge.

The 2008 events may have started as a protest but they turned into an armed occupation of Beirut.
    Calling them protests is as accurate as calling the Syrian Civil War "March 25 protests".
    I'm with @Big Brother on this. There's clearly a pro-March 8 bias going on here and we'll start a petition to have that thread title changed.
    The Syrian civil war started with protests before all the action began...

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    I have an opinion. Calling a militia rebelling against Government of Lebanon's decisions a simple "protest" is disingenuous and regurgitation of propaganda and narrative of said militia. Those "celebrating" aren't celebrating a protest, they're celebrating threats of violence and issuing blanket threats against Lebanese citizens who do not consider Hizbullah above criticism.

It is only a matter of time before other Lebanese citizens arm themselves in defense of their dignity.
    7assak 3am teghley ghaley min ketret el kezeb wol nifa2.

Whatever you are rambling, no one touched the dignity of "other Lebanese". In fact, you do not know the meaning of dignity, when you defend the enemy of Lebanon and live as a fugitive. On May 7, civilians aligned with the illegitimate govt were not assaulted. Armed militiamen loyal to the govt parties were dismantled. And if they arm themselves again, as you are hopeful, to threaten others and create fitnah and to shoot at protests, today or tomorrow, or after 2000 years, what makes you certain they wont be beaten again?

Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove

Nuclear War Expert
    Staff member

An excellent point for debate within this thread. For the titles, however, we'd rather keep them as neutral as possible for broader topics such as this one.

Edit: "Clashes" in the title refers to the armed clashes that occured.

Orangina

Orangina

Legendary Member

for the first time in my life i will say it

@Big Brother has a valid point