May Khreish in trouble for recommending a book?

• Advertisement
  • The_FPMer

The_FPMer

If only we had a secular system, ma keno hek. L meshkle bil nizam. :cigar:
    The argument for secularism is that the power of the clergy will wane. Not sure about the veracity of such claims since the west is secular and getting more and more multicultural but many are still ethnocentric.

Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    لماذا يحولون كل موضوع لصراع شيعي سني؟

@Lebmonage

ما رأيكم بهذا الموضوع؟
    I have pointed out to this, especially regarding @Lebmonage behavior how he jumped into the thread to score points against Sunnis. But unfortunately, a moderator decided to delete it!

The hypocritical behavior here is that they're fine with the book as along as it doesn't challenge the Shiite doctrine. Else, you would have seen an entirely different reaction!

Wasn't Khomeini who issued a fatwa to kill Salman Rushdie?

Last edited:
    AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I have pointed out to this, especially regarding #Lebmonage behavior how he jumped into the thread to score points against Sunnis. But unfortunately, a moderator kept his post and deleted mine.

The hypocritical behavior here is that they're fine with the book as along as it doesn't challenge the Shiite doctrine. Else, you would have seen an entirely different reaction!

Mr. "Humanitarian" was disliking my posts in which I exposed Iran's mistreatment of protesters.
    He pretends to be LGBT-friendly yet calls me a fag at every opportunity.

He's a liberal, as long as it suits him.

Orangina

Orangina

Legendary Member
    I have pointed out to this, especially regarding @Lebmonage behavior how he jumped into the thread to score points against Sunnis. But unfortunately, a moderator decided to delete it!

Yes Salman Rushdie was one among others who saw their books banned under Muslim threats:

1 – Taha Hussein (1917-1973)

I posted in an earlier post that in 1931 and under the pressure of Al Azhari umam, Hussein lost his post as a professor in the University of Cairo because in his book “fi el She3er el jahili” he argued that some pre-islamic poetery was not authentic and cast doubt in the authenticity of the Quran.

2 – Mahmoud Mohamad Taha (1909-1985)

Was a Sudanese religious thinker, leader and trained engineer. Taha developed what he called “second message of Islam” after a period of prolonged “religious seclusion”. His theory was that the Quran contains two general messages that are apparently in contradiction. He stated

Thus we reach an extremely important conclusion: many aspects of the present Islamic Sharia are not the original principles or objectives of Islam. They merely reflect a descent in accordance with the circumstances of the time and the limitations of human ability

On 5 January 1985 Taha was arrested for distributing pamphlets calling for an end to sharia law in Sudan. Brought to trial on 7 January he was charged with crimes “amounting to apostasy which carried the death penalty”

Taha refused to recognize the legitimacy of the court under sharia and refused to repent. He was then sentenced to death.

3- Ismail adham (1941-1940)

Was an Egyptian writer and literary critic who was born in Turkey. He was one of the few writers in Egypt’s old regime to openly declare his atheism, which he attempted to promote through his infamous manifesto “why I am Atheist”

This essay provoked heated responses from theist writers of the period putting adham in the limelight. It is said that he drowned at the age of 29 in the Mediterranean sea in July 1940 (a possible suicide?)

4- Abdallah el qasimi (1907-1996)

Was a Saudi Arabian 20th-century writer and intellectual. He is one of the most controversial intellectuals in the Arab world because of his radical change from defending Salafism to defending atheism and rejecting organized religion. He questioned the existence of God and criticized religions, which resulted in the allegations of him becoming an atheist, therefore his books were banned all over the Arab world.

Al qasemi has studied at the Al azhar university in Cairo in 1927 but he was soon expelled because of his book “ The chandelier in the sweep of the Dark Darkness”.

5- Salman Rushdie (1947-…)

is a British Indian novelist and essayist. He combines magical realism with historical fiction; his work is concerned with the many connections, disruptions, and migrations between Eastern and Western civilizations.

His fourth novel, The Satanic Verses (1988), was the subject of a major controversy, provoking protests from Muslims in several countries. Death threats were made against him, including a fatwā calling for his assassination issued by Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, the Supreme Leader of Iran, on 14 February 1989. The British government put Rushdie under police protection.

The publication of The Satanic Verses in September 1988 caused immediate controversy in the Islamic world because of what was seen by some to be an irreverent depiction of Muhammad. The book was banned in many countries with large Muslim communities.

6- Taslima Nasrin (1962-…)

Is a Bangladeshi-Swedish writer, physician, feminist, secular humanist and human rights activist. She is known for her writing on women's oppression and criticism of religion, despite forced exile and multiple fatwas calling for her death.

Some of her books are banned in Bangladesh. She has been blacklisted and banished from the Bengal region (both from Bangladesh and the West Bengal part of India