Mid-career professional conversion

JustLeb

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
I was flirting with the idea of applying to ferrandi and becoming a pastry chef actually! Already have some experience running a small restaurant with my husband, he has his own now that i have nothing to do with lol. I really enjoy baking and whatnot and thought this would be good for a future venture we can have together. Bass this is still in the thinking phase and lots of pro and con lists and whatnot.

I also flirted with the idea of becoming a teacher or going back to school for journalism and becoming a science editor since that's my domain. We'll see what i settle on in the next few months 😅
10 years ago we had a South Korean neighbour, a very nice woman who had a son learning in Paris, she came here for a year and during her stay, she went learning pastry at Pierre Hermes, the last I knew is that she opened her own in Seoul.
While in Paris she used to send us Korean dishes and send her Lebanese ones, and she practiced her skills by giving us the deserts she does

Nonan

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
10 years ago we had a South Korean neighbour, a very nice woman who had a son learning in Paris, she came here for a year and during her stay, she went learning pastry at Pierre Hermes, the last I knew is that she opened her own in Seoul.
While in Paris she used to send us Korean dishes and send her Lebanese ones, and she practiced her skills by giving us the deserts she does
As long as she didn't store any kimchi in your fridge. Happened to a friend of mine while at school :) and he had to throw out everything he had in his fridge afterwards

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
@Isabella my wife did the same, she has a PhD in the medical field but quit her job to take care of the kids, she never regretted it.
Now she is converted into IT, and she is good at it, she helps me working with french clients to send projects to Lebanon.
The job gave her double incentives:
1- personal fulfillment
2- help send fresh money to Lebanese

Your wife gives me hope in these uncertain times! Thank you 😀

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
If you're husband is managing a restaurant then you already know how painful and ungrateful that could be... or so I heard. My father in law used to have a restaurant and a hotel and basically you work when everyone is vacationing / partying, etc. and the money is not great most of the time (just watch "cauchemar en cuisine" ;-)

But hey, maybe we can do a "farm to table" with my farm in the South of France and your restaurant?

It is hard work but it's also very pleasurable and if you make good food you mostly have nothing to worry about. Of course there's the possibility of failure but that comes with everything in life, in which case I can always go back to medical physics lol. The years i worked with him in our small shop were among the best in my life that's why i'm seriously considering this transition.

In regards to the farm to table option i'm game as long as you have pigs and goats lol

Nonan

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
It is hard work but it's also very pleasurable and if you make good food you mostly have nothing to worry about. Of course there's the possibility of failure but that comes with everything in life, in which case I can always go back to medical physics lol. The years i worked with him in our small shop were among the best in my life that's why i'm seriously considering this transition.

In regards to the farm to table option i'm game as long as you have pigs and goats lol
No pigs. Goats and Bees (and maybe some Poulet Noir)...

Mrsrx

Not an expert!
Staff member
As long as she didn't store any kimchi in your fridge. Happened to a friend of mine while at school :) and he had to throw out everything he had in his fridge afterwards
I have a confession ...i once ordered Kimchi Hummous from a Lebanese-Korean Restaurant in Paris! (long story).