Gives Hope Minister Gebran Bassil to present bill allowing women to pass on citizenship

Jo

Administrator
Master Penguin
Bassil to present bill allowing women to pass on citizenship

BEIRUT: A bill to allow Lebanese women to pass on citizenship to their children when married to non-Lebanese nationals - a right women have demanded for years - will be presented to Cabinet Wednesday, Foreign Minister Gebran Bassil announced.

Bassil said the proposal would amend a 1925-era law that barred Lebanese women from passing their citizenship to their children. “There are strange, unacceptable and illogical [provisions] in our Lebanese law that lead us to try to address them,” Bassil said.

The right provided by the new law would not apply to Lebanese women who marry men from “neighboring” countries. The exception is a provision to restrict “naturalization” in general, and particularly of the minimum 997,905 million Syrian refugees and over 174,000 Palestinians residing in Lebanon, so as to “preserve the Lebanese entity,” Bassil said. He added that the Lebanese should be wary of “collective naturalization” of these groups in lieu of their returning to their lands of origin.

The minister also called for Lebanese men to no longer be able to pass on their Lebanese citizenship to spouses from neighboring countries as part of the proposed law. “What is not allowed for women should not be allowed for men,” Bassil said.

Bassil said the move was in line with the Lebanese constitution, which prevents discrimination on the basis of gender, in addition to “international agreements,” such as the 1979 United Nations Convention on the Elimination of all forms of Discrimination Against Women.

The announcement was made at a news conference at the Foreign Ministry in Beirut’s Ashrafieh district on the occasion of Mother’s Day. It follows years of protests by Lebanese women under the slogan "my citizenship is my dignity.” Protests have increased in recent weeks as Lebanon heads towards the country’s first parliamentary elections in nine years.

Bassil said he expected “a lot of talk” on the law, and acknowledged the timing of his proposal – just 46 days before elections on May 6. He indicated voters could pressure MP’s to adopt the bill before elections are held.

• Advertisement
    Bassil listened to my proposal :eek:
    The exception for Palestinians and Syrians, as well as extending that exception to men for sake of equality.
    Do some forum search :p

This is good but will it pass ?

We also need civil marriage and personal status laws from anyone claiming change and reform !

Isabella

The Queen Of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Bassil listened to my proposal :eek:
    The exception for Palestinians and Syrians, as well as extending that exception to men for sake of equality.
    Do some forum search :p

This is good but will it pass ?

We also need civil marriage and personal status laws from anyone claiming change and reform !
    I think it should pass the only objections people had previously to passing the citizenship law were the Palestinian refugees (now I'm talking 2005-2006 here since that's when we presented the jensyati hakkon li wa li osrati project and talked with some politicians from all sides) the law proposal at that time was mostly opposed by Christians on the basis that it would greatly modify the demographic balance. I also like the proposed equality between men and women on this.

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member

BEIRUT: A bill to allow Lebanese women to pass on citizenship to their children when married to non-Lebanese nationals - a right women have demanded for years - will be presented to Cabinet Wednesday, Foreign Minister Gebran Bassil announced.

Bassil said the proposal would amend a 1925-era law that barred Lebanese women from passing their citizenship to their children. “There are strange, unacceptable and illogical [provisions] in our Lebanese law that lead us to try to address them,” Bassil said.

The right provided by the new law would not apply to Lebanese women who marry men from “neighboring” countries. The exception is a provision to restrict “naturalization” in general, and particularly of the minimum 997,905 million Syrian refugees and over 174,000 Palestinians residing in Lebanon, so as to “preserve the Lebanese entity,” Bassil said. He added that the Lebanese should be wary of “collective naturalization” of these groups in lieu of their returning to their lands of origin.

The minister also called for Lebanese men to no longer be able to pass on their Lebanese citizenship to spouses from neighboring countries as part of the proposed law. “What is not allowed for women should not be allowed for men,” Bassil said.

Bassil said the move was in line with the Lebanese constitution, which prevents discrimination on the basis of gender, in addition to “international agreements,” such as the 1979 United Nations Convention on the Elimination of all forms of Discrimination Against Women.

The announcement was made at a news conference at the Foreign Ministry in Beirut’s Ashrafieh district on the occasion of Mother’s Day. It follows years of protests by Lebanese women under the slogan "my citizenship is my dignity.” Protests have increased in recent weeks as Lebanon heads towards the country’s first parliamentary elections in nine years.

Bassil said he expected “a lot of talk” on the law, and acknowledged the timing of his proposal – just 46 days before elections on May 6. He indicated voters could pressure MP’s to adopt the bill before elections are held.

What a Bullshit racist bill!

I think it should pass the only objections people had previously to passing the citizenship law were the Palestinian refugees (now I'm talking 2005-2006 here since that's when we presented the jensyati hakkon li wa li osrati project and talked with some politicians from all sides) the law proposal at that time was mostly opposed by Christians on the basis that it would greatly modify the demographic balance. I also like the proposed equality between men and women on this.
    Stop quoting me with irrelevant crap, you silly silly woman! Kidding.
    Who is "we" ?

Isabella

The Queen Of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Stop quoting me with irrelevant crap, you silly silly woman! Kidding.
    Who is "we" ?
    My old school it was a year round civics class project that we presented at UNESCO at the end of the year along with some minor projects like some protests around the school and some stickers also hosting politicians along the way

Also I'm good at compartmentalising, I can disagree with you in one thread and be your best friend in another lol!

My old school it was a year round civics class project that we presented at UNESCO at the end of the year along with some minor projects like some protests around the school and some stickers also hosting politicians along the way
    Interesting, is there any link or reference to look at from 2005-2006?
    Some efforts were made in 2011 if am not mistaken.

Also I'm good at compartmentalising, I can disagree with you in one thread and be your best friend in another lol!
    Yeah yeah, the other thread being marked as conspiracy theory is no good :D Its quite sensitive topic.

The exception to Syrians and Palestinians can be revoked if/when they go back to their respective countries :)
    I don't think so:

منعا للتوطين المحظر دستورا وتمسكا بحق العودة، يستثنى من الأحكام المنصوص عليها في المادتين 1 و5 من القرار رقم 151925، الشخص اللبناني الذي يقترن بشخص أجنبي دخل الى لبنان لاجئا أو نازحا، لا سيما من الدول المجاورة للبنان.

Doesn't the لا سيما mean that just being Syrian/Palestinian is enough for you to lose the right to become Lebanese?

Isabella

The Queen Of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Interesting, is there any link or reference to look at from 2005-2006?
    Some efforts were made in 2011 if am not mistaken.

Yeah yeah, the other thread being marked as conspiracy theory is no good :D Its quite sensitive topic.
    I found some mentions of the suggested law in 2006, but they're just mentions here and there lol no full article about the projects that I and many others have participated in.

Discrimination against children of foreign fathers

Also these mentions in a book

Women's Rights in the Middle East and North Africa

The law draft was taken to Majlis l nouweb in 2006 by CRTD-A and has been an ongoing effort ever since

Also the other thread is definitely not a conspiracy theory! It's literally a guy talking about what his company does! With investigations being opened in Britain and now New York and Massachusetts!

Indie

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Amazing. Perfect. (Well...as perfect as can be considering Lebanese specificities).

Bassil just gained a new supporter...as long as he actually puts effort in this and shows results.

Noborders

Legendary Member
    Haha how ironic proposing a new law claiming it to be against discrimination when the whole new proposed law is shouting out discrimination against some specific people!

Akh ya zaman!

I don't think so:

منعا للتوطين المحظر دستورا وتمسكا بحق العودة، يستثنى من الأحكام المنصوص عليها في المادتين 1 و5 من القرار رقم 151925، الشخص اللبناني الذي يقترن بشخص أجنبي دخل الى لبنان لاجئا أو نازحا، لا سيما من الدول المجاورة للبنان.

Doesn't the لا سيما mean that just being Syrian/Palestinian is enough for you to lose the right to become Lebanese?
    We need a lawyer for this :D
    Palestinians/Syrians are not specifically named in this part. The exception is for 'pairing with persons in Lebanon as refugees or displaced'... no?

Both ways, meant that if/when the circumstances that lead to these exceptions change, the law can be amended.

Noborders

Legendary Member
    Look around the world and see who are the ones being forced to leave their homes more than anyone else!
    Sure that in this region minorities paid a big price as well.. but so did the majority! Meaning everybody was and is being screwed here!

The creation of so called Israel and dividing the whole region and then creating groups like so called ISIS is done by the same powers!
    But hey you are one of these crazy people who love to accuse Islam/Muslims for wanting to take over the world and rule it, while in reality Muslims cant even get rid of some dogs at home who are mass slaughtering them and these dogs are all over the place!

Wake up dear @Indie you don't fight discrimination with discrimination and at the same time claim to be fighting discrimination lets stop this nonsense and total hypocrisy :)