Mobile Phones and Smartphones

false Morel

Well, mobile phones, in general, became a major part of our lifes. Also, one is somehow bound to renew his mobile phone every year or two!
It's one of those daily used techs we depend on and always seek some reviews and recommendations to help choose the new phone every now and then..

Everything about mobile phones goes in this thread.
Whether on smartphones or normal mobile phones, latest news to any question, comparison, review, discussion, or even some nostlagic pics and reviews to old owned phones are all welcomed..

There's a thread dealing with the operating systems alone though. So spare any OS debates for that thread.

false Morel

As the quoted posts don't fit in the iPhone thread, I find it more logical to move the discussions into this thread..

nokia numbers were out today, they are still doing good with dumbphones even improving on their previous numbers but they are still struggling with Smarphones, Nokia has limited time where it can still benefit from the cash cow of dumbphones to invest in R&D in smartphones to gain market share, otherwise when dumbphones become their broken leg dog, there won't be any money coming and entry into the smartphone market would be harder for them...

The last high-end smartphone Nokia released was in 2009! It was N900 with the Novermber released linux based Maemo which turned to be a complete fail, and prior to that the June released Symbian^1 N97 which was outdone by the Omnia HD of Samsung which in turn was released even two months earlier! Omnia HD, considering the time it was released on, became a legend in mobile phones history! It's still on sale btw..
Also the SE Satio (my beloved phone) which was pronounced in Feb 2009 and released in Oct later the same year affected the N97 sales much!

Anyway, back to Nokia, partial failure of N97 and almost the complete failure of N900 made a huge blow for them regarding high-end category!

However, all the C, E, and X-series phones run on Symbian! They aren't dumbphones! These models are mistaken to be categorized as such by many. They are medium to low-end smartphones.

Of course, Nokia dominates the world dumbphones sales as well!

I think though, the much anticipated N8, and later in Q4 its relative the N9, should move them back into competition! Unless they f*ck it up at some major point with the N8 hardware-wise!
They took much time for developing it though it might sound even impossible for such a thing to happen. Let's wait and see.

For me, the lack of the camera cover is the only major drawback! Although Nokia has justified this as a decent compromise to mkae the phone thinner while the scratch resistive lens would easily make it without a cover. What about the cleanliness part? I find that not convincing!
Also the normal AMOLED a tiny drawback! Other than that, this phone should be at least another Omnia HD for Nokia! It's meant to be huge and I think it will meet its promises well..

Booya said:
I'm getting the HTC Desire next week.

Did you consider the Samsung Galaxy and SE X10?

The Galaxy is a really nice deal. That Super AMOLED is really something. It's power efficient, practical not like normal AMOLEDs, and simply brilliant! Smart that is. It's the first AMOLED to outdo any LC display including the stupid Retina one of Apple of course!
X10 is the most elegant and simply the best designed high-smart in the market! The white one is pure sex! Media and Time Scape are good also.
The Desire is also neat handset no doubt.. The Sense UI and everything, but I find it's camera to be a big minus though! It doesn't have a front camera as well!

4G Network is coming to New York this year, latest could be in December. Why not consider an Evo 4? Obviously it's the ultimate phone in the mean time! It's only tiny drawback is the normal AMOLED..

I'm getting the PALM PRE soon, it's said to be the competitor # 1 of the iPhone. It's been on the Lebanese market for one month only...

:angel:

Why to compare the Palm Pre to the iPhone?
To me, I see both in different categories! And of course depends on the needs of the customer to decide on which handset to get..

The iPhone is meant to be an entertainment smartphone. It offers a 3.5" inch all touch screen enough for watching movies, a built-in iPod (high-quality and well designed media player), video-calling*, supposed to be the ultimate gaming phone, and of course falls in completely different size category than the Pre!!

Palm Pre, on the other side, despite offering similar features to the iPhone and supposed to be an all-rounder, it lags behind in all extra features!
As a pure smartphone though, it's a superb device! Maybe even the best! WebOS is simply great. The phone's elegant and practical design is all focused to deliver the best smartphone to the competition.. For organizing your work and daily tasks you find all the necessary apps, very well made apps also.

To sum it up, I label the Pre as superb phone for the ones looking for a smartphone mainly and then equipped with secondary features as a high-resolution camera, good media player, and so on..

false Morel

Did you consider the Samsung Galaxy and SE X10?

The Galaxy is a really nice deal. That Super AMOLED is really something. It's power efficient, practical not like normal AMOLEDs, and simply brilliant! Smart that is. It's the first AMOLED to outdo any LC display including the stupid Retina one of Apple of course!
X10 is the most elegant and simply the best designed high-smart in the market! The white one is pure sex! Media and Time Scape are good also.
The Desire is also neat handset no doubt.. The Sense UI and everything, but I find it's camera to be a big minus though! It doesn't have a front camera as well!

4G Network is coming to New York this year, latest could be in December. Why not consider an Evo 4? Obviously it's the ultimate phone in the mean time! It's only tiny drawback is the normal AMOLED..

Booya, just forget about the Galaxy S and its Super AMOLED!
It seems when I checked it, I was so taken by its superb display that I failed to realize that it has 5 MP camera and WITHOUT ANY flash!! I don't know what Samsung think they are doing, but it's definitely a deal breaker!

I thought it had an 8 MP with a dual LED! Similar to that of the Omnia HD!
But with this, I'd take the more than a year and half old Symbian^1 Omnia over it anytime!

In the US versions (as each network provider has its repective version of the Galaxy S) no front camera installed neither!

If I were you, I'd make use of the opportunity to get an Evo 4G!
If not, the Desire is very decent phone.. But did you consider the X10?
I'd like to collect customers opinions on which phone they'd rather end up getting after actually going through the available options..

Booyakasha

Legendary Member
Booya, just forget about the Galaxy S and its Super AMOLED!
It seems when I checked it, I was so taken by its superb display that I failed to realize that it has 5 MP camera and WITHOUT ANY flash!! I don't know what Samsung think they are doing, but it's definitely a deal breaker!

I thought it had an 8 MP with a dual LED! Similar to that of the Omnia HD!
But with this, I'd take the more than a year and half old Symbian^1 Omnia over it anytime!

In the US versions (as each network provider has its repective version of the Galaxy S) no front camera installed neither!

If I were you, I'd make use of the opportunity to get an Evo 4G!
If not, the Desire is very decent phone.. But did you consider the X10?
I'd like to collect customers opinions on which phone they'd rather end up getting after actually going through the available options..

I would've went for the evo but as I told you the constraints only allow the purchase of the Desire. As for the x10, I'm through with Sony Ericsson. I had the P800, p990, p910i, P1i which at the time were great phones, but I find the Desire to be way more "desirable" nowadays especially the Sense UI.

false Morel

I would've went for the evo but as I told you the constraints only allow the purchase of the Desire. As for the x10, I'm through with Sony Ericsson. I had the P800, p990, p910i, P1i which at the time were great phones, but I find the Desire to be way more "desirable" nowadays especially the Sense UI.

As an SE fan good to hear that you were a loyal SE customer..

It's not that I want to convince you pick up an X10 over the Desire, but I just want to understand what were teh aspects that made you choose teh Desire over the X10..

As both have their pros and cons.. So it depends on the customer what priorities does he have for an Android phone..

X10 vs Desire
- Superior camera on X10, however it got no integrated radio and no multi-touch. It will get HD video and Andoird 2.1 (same as Desire) in Sept., currently on Android 1.6 and WVGA..

- Display: X10 will deliver 16M color display under Android 2.1!
Both have capacitive screen.
AMOLED vs TFT LCD, I prefer a practicality of the LCD since it can be viewed in daylight over the suprior display of the AMOLED.
X10 4" > Desire 3.7".
X10 features full WVGA display vs the partial one of the Desire; this is could be neglected though.

- UI fight: HTC Sense and widgets are superb. But the SE Rachael UI with Time and Media Scape is also worth considering..

- Design: Well, it's a matter of personal taste, but the vast majority agrees that the X10 is the best designed high-end smartphone in the market right now! The white version is only attractive..

- Support: Well, I have to say it, SE have one the worst service support! They're too lazy with updates and patches, as well as not very helpful on the personal level!

All in all, for the international market, I think those two are the current best two Android phones available.. HTC Evo 4 beats both though!
HTC should be delivering a similar internional vesion this year though..

My two cents..

michom

I am considering switching to Android and sell my current 3GS... So far my best luck is with Nexus One, I am in the US for the next month and I want to an unlocked phone before I go back to Lebanon, this is why I am stuck on Nexus One. Plus it seems to get first all the updates and it's supported by Google... What do you think about this move? Honestly I am bored from my iPhone, and can't get a new feel since customization is absent...

false Morel

I am considering switching to Android and sell my current 3GS... So far my best luck is with Nexus One, I am in the US for the next month and I want to an unlocked phone before I go back to Lebanon, this is why I am stuck on Nexus One. Plus it seems to get first all the updates and it's supported by Google... What do you think about this move? Honestly I am bored from my iPhone, and can't get a new feel since customization is absent...

Are there no unlocked Desires in the US?

The Desire is a Nexus One, yet, better design, and have few more features along with the HTC Sense!

Nexus One is only superior in network connectivity which is useless in Lebanon...

If you can't get a Desire, the N1 is still a top notch handset! Compared to the 3Gs, the difference is huge! A whole better experience..

michom

Are there no unlocked Desires in the US?

The Desire is a Nexus One, yet, better design, and have few more features along with the HTC Sense!

Nexus One is only superior in network connectivity which is useless in Lebanon...

If you can't get a Desire, the N1 is still a top notch handset! Compared to the 3Gs, the difference is huge! A whole better experience..

I don't care much about the looks. N1 seems to have button issues? they are not sensitive enough? but at least with N1 I get the latest updates, I don't have to wait for HTC to update the firmware so I can use 2.2 or whatever comes next... What's the pros aside from the looks? Sense? I can still customize the N1 to fit my needs, but those buttons are giving me second thoughts sara7a...

EDIT: btw I just checked their site and Google is not selling Nexus One anymore, it says that it will be available through its partners for registered developers. weird.... I hope that means I can find it in local shops...

michom

I don't care much about the looks. N1 seems to have button issues? they are not sensitive enough? but at least with N1 I get the latest updates, I don't have to wait for HTC to update the firmware so I can use 2.2 or whatever comes next... What's the pros aside from the looks? Sense? I can still customize the N1 to fit my needs, but those buttons are giving me second thoughts sara7a...

EDIT: btw I just checked their site and Google is not selling Nexus One anymore, it says that it will be available through its partners for registered developers. weird.... I hope that means I can find it in local shops...

EDIT #2: I found out on Amazon, 100$ more expensive than its original price...

El

being a nokia fan, it's the first mobile i think of when i want to buy one.
I loved the n97, and the n900 seem to be a good option for me, except its size. the N8 will not be in lebanon real soon. So i'm a bit confused what to get, should i wait for the n8, or get an Htc as many friends suggest it?

false Morel

@ michom

I found this "change log" for the Desire over the N1, and it even includes some changes I wasn't aware of:

• A different body shell
  • An optical trackpad in place of the trackball
  • A row of tactile rather than touch-sensitive buttons
  • FM radio included
  • No second microphone but has software noise cancellation
  • No dock pin connectors
  • 576 MB DRAM instead of 512 MB DRAM
  • Dual band HSPA/WCDMA: 900/2100 MHz (850/2100 Telstra Australia),[20] instead of Tri band
  • HTC Sense user interface including the 'Sense' live wallpaper
  • Bundled with Adobe Flash Lite 4
  • No speech-to-text (though the application can be downloaded)
  • Support and updates through HTC rather than Google

Regarding the updates and upgrades to newer Android versions, yes, Google ar supposed to be more active in this domain. HTC aren't that much than teh typical lazy vendors, Nokia, Samsung, and the laziest of all, SE!

BTW, some really prefer the standard Android interface over the HTC one!
So, it's all a matter of taste and need..

As to the N1 availability, Google didn't dropped it out! It closed the online store though. As it seems, selling the Nexus One unlocked for a cash price wasn't that wise.. However, it should be available in retail stores.. T-Mobile has it too.. Just ask there..

being a nokia fan, it's the first mobile i think of when i want to buy one.
I loved the n97, and the n900 seem to be a good option for me, except its size. the N8 will not be in lebanon real soon. So i'm a bit confused what to get, should i wait for the n8, or get an Htc as many friends suggest it?

It depends on what you want from a smartphone..

Although to be honest, the N8 will be superior to any other smartphone in every aspect!
The only three things that could be considered minor drawbacks: Unchageable battery, no camera cover, and AMOLED in case you often use the phone in the open under daylight..

The greatest feature is the camera of course. It has one the largest sensor put in any compact camera. It should outdo even most of the high-end point and shoots quality-wise!!
Other great feature is the HDMI in case you'd need it!

The deciding factor between an HTC and an N8 is the OS of course.
Although I have much hopes and high expectations for the new Symbian, Android is best current OS..

What's great about the N8 is that it won't be priced as previous N-series phones! It would be cheaper than most of the high-end phones!!
If you're a Nokia fan, and used to their products, I say wait for the big baby...

michom

Even though HTC Desire might be better in looks and buttons, I still want the Nexus One... You never know when HTC gets bored and stops updating firmware... I know SE is really bad at this, and my best chances are with google... bas still the only N1 I can find on Amazon is 650$ instead of 530$... I will wait for a week or two...

Leb_Rebel

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Even though HTC Desire might be better in looks and buttons, I still want the Nexus One... You never know when HTC gets bored and stops updating firmware... I know SE is really bad at this, and my best chances are with google... bas still the only N1 I can find on Amazon is 650$ instead of 530$... I will wait for a week or two...

If your in Leb you can get a Nexus one for around 550$.
About the update you are right. Nexus One are already running Froyo while Desire isn't updated yet. The OS of Nexus One is supported by Google so you will get updates for a looooooong time. Unlike HTC desire.
There will be apps to compensate for any lacks.

I thought about getting HTC HD2 because of the pocket office package. But then I realized that at some point(which is probably soon) someone will have fun with his sdk and make excel,word... work on Nexus.

LebArmenian

guys , i might be getting a motorola Droid X , any feedback concerning this phone ? i will get it bcz of the HD video capture and HD pictures

NMA

anyway i could use blackberry messaging service on an iphone in leb?

I heard some are doing it. with a valid subscription of course.

Armenian

anyway i could use blackberry messaging service on an iphone in leb?

I heard some are doing it. with a valid subscription of course.

You cannot use BBM on Iphone... But you can install Whatsapp.

It's an application that you can install on Blackberries and also in Iphones so you can message each other for free anywhere in the world.

Most probably you heard about this application

Thank you!!

Danny Z

Legendary Member

It's an application that you can install on Blackberries and also in Iphones so you can message each other for free anywhere in the world.

Thank you!!

Just use MSN, yahoo or skype, send SMS or just send a freaking email.

NMA

Thank you!!

thanks for the info :) how is it different than skype/msn/facebook msgs or even sms ? does it use GSM or needs an internet conx ?