Moving abroad

A

Applepie

Since many of you are expats here, I desperately need your opinion/advice for moving abroad.

What is the best escape route ? Go for a post graduate school and hope to find a job there after ? If yes, what country should I choose ? I know for a fact that in Europe it's really hard to stay there after completing your Master's or MBA since they shred most applications for non-EU nationals. Most people I know returned to Lebanon.

Is US/Canada the best option ?

Need some insights, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Isabella

Isabella

The Queen Of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    I think you need to have a plan in mind before moving abroad, for example I came to France because I needed to pursue my education and the masters/subjects I was interested in were not available for Lebanon. However the first year was incredibly hard for me! I don't make friends easily, I only knew one other person in France and she left like 2 months after I got here and I spent most nights for a period of 6 months crying myself to sleep!

I don't know what your best course of action is, you need to decide on a life plan for yourself! Mine took all kinds of different directions during the 7 years I've been abroad.

You start with what you are interested in, higher education, work etc. then you do your research on which country is your best option and which one you think you would better fit in in!

Also keep your expectations realistic! Living abroad is hard af you are literally starting a new life from scratch, salaries are not really drastically different from what you may earn in Lebanon, you are also going to be spending a lot more money on basics such as food, rent etc. Compared to whether you've been living with your parents back home or not.

Sorry could not be much help, if you are employed do not quit your job before you are guaranteed an opportunity elsewhere lol I know this is kinda basic but my friend quit his job last month for something in London that didn't work out so stay with what's safe until you are guaranteed something better :p

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Staff member
    Since many of you are expats here, I desperately need your opinion/advice for moving abroad.

What is the best escape route ? Go for a post graduate school and hope to find a job there after ? If yes, what country should I choose ? I know for a fact that in Europe it's really hard to stay there after completing your Master's or MBA since they shred most applications for non-EU nationals. Most people I know returned to Lebanon.

What are u studying?

Depends in the fields, but anything related to CS or data and they'll snap you up snd change your diapers twice.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Staff member
    I think you need to have a plan in mind before moving abroad, for example I came to France because I needed to pursue my education and the masters/subjects I was interested in were not available for Lebanon. However the first year was incredibly hard for me! I don't make friends easily, I only knew one other person in France and she left like 2 months after I got here and I spent most nights for a period of 6 months crying myself to sleep!

I don't know what your best course of action is, you need to decide on a life plan for yourself! Mine took all kinds of different directions during the 7 years I've been abroad.

You start with what you are interested in, higher education, work etc. then you do your research on which country is your best option and which one you think you would better fit in in!

Also keep your expectations realistic! Living abroad is hard af you are literally starting a new life from scratch, salaries are not really drastically different from what you may earn in Lebanon, you are also going to be spending a lot more money on basics such as food, rent etc. Compared to whether you've been living with your parents back home or not.

Sorry could not be much help, if you are employed do not quit your job before you are guaranteed an opportunity elsewhere lol I know this is kinda basic but my friend quit his job last month for something in London that didn't work out so stay with what's safe until you are guaranteed something better :p
    Everything she said except the crying myself to sleep, thank you Y chromosome :)

Skunk

Skunk

Orange Room Supporter
    Get some experience in your field, 4-5 years should be enough.
    Look up countries with shortage in that field.
    Lookup companies, recruiters in those countries.

Apply and fascinate them in your interview
    Congratulations on your new role and sponsorship.

The above worked for me.

A

Applepie

I switched 2 jobs in Lebanon within 7 months and already quit 3 months ago, I was really miserable lol.

I know living alone and in a new country is hard as **** but I want to have that experience, I hate playing it safe and regretting it later.

I am considering a school in France, ESCP, ESSEC or EDHEC. Do you think it's realistic to find a job and to settle there after graduating ?

My main point here is that I don't want to invest in a post graduate degree just to return to Lebanon, that's the issue, I need to maximize my chances of staying in that country.

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member

Europe sucks. Go to US/Canada/Australia and do a master's degree. You'll figure it out for yourself.

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member

It's hard to plan life. You just keep making decisions and living your life the best you can. But you really didn't help this poor soul, where is the optimism? :)
    I think moving abroad is an adventure, that you undertake. If you want to do it, you have to take an educated first step and enjoy the ride. :)

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Staff member
    Haha, I wish. I have a Finance degree.
    Ah also if u want to stay in leb and work abroad as a consultant, apply to either Murex or Addington advisory, 2elloun IM metwassa fiye :p

Muki

Muki

Orange Room Supporter
    Needless to say, you should also pay attention to immigration laws and what you need to do to stay in the country after you finish your school.

Isabella

Isabella

The Queen Of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    I switched 2 jobs in Lebanon within 7 months and already quit 3 months ago, I was really miserable lol.

I know living alone and in a new country is hard as **** but I want to have that experience, I hate playing it safe and regretting it later.

I am considering a school in France, ESCP, ESSEC or EDHEC. Do you think it's realistic to find a job and to settle there after graduating ?

My main point here is that I don't want to invest in a post graduate degree just to return to Lebanon, that's the issue, I need to maximize my chances of staying in that country.
    Most people I know who pursued higher education in France had no problem finding jobs after and settling down, only thing that may be slightly hard is internship since companies don't offer internships willy nilly, they usually consider them to be a trial period before offering a more permanent position so realistically speaking if you get an internship at the end of your masters you're pretty much guaranteed employment at the end of it, unless of course you f*Ck it up greatly.

I have no idea what any of the letters in your post mean though lol the ESCP and co so can't answer to that lol!

gramsci

gramsci

Legendary Member

move to lybia .. find a place on the board of a boat ..some ONG will rescue u, will take u in a hotel and will pay u 35 euro/day...u can have free wi fi ... better that u make a sun tanning to become a dark skinned..

NB: do u live in Beirut, and if yes , do u consider renting ur house ? :D

Last edited:
    Isabella

Isabella

The Queen Of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    It's hard to plan life. You just keep making decisions and living your life the best you can. But you really didn't help this poor soul, where is the optimism? :)
    I think moving abroad is an adventure, that you undertake. If you want to do it, you have to take an educated first step and enjoy the ride. :)
    Oh moving to France was the best and the bravest decision I have ever made! Not only did I study exactly what I wanted to study with no compromises, but I have also met the love of my life and built a life for myself. However I cannot say it was easy to leave everything i've known my entire life behind and embark on a new adventure! So no pessimism, just realism!

gramsci

gramsci

Legendary Member
    many people i know went to study and work in china.. the future is there ..EU is a dying old woman.
    this video went viral 2 days ago about a Young graduate italian in shanghai

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    many people i know went to study and work in china.. the future is there ..EU is a dying old woman.
    this video went viral 2 days ago about a Young graduate italian in shanghai

You would have to give me China or at least a tier 1 province for me to agree to go study and live there :)

Nasser

Nasser

Staff member
    I did my masters in Germany, was pretty impossible to find a job... since there was too many people with the same field I did and obviously there was a priority to locals then EU nationals before any non-EU. I came back to Lebanon eventually.
    On the other hand, a Lebanese friend who did his master degree in a field that has huge demand in the city I was in (communication) got an offer in the same company he was doing his internship in as soon as he submitted his thesis.

So my friend, if you're only planning to go abroad and do your post-graduate studies in order to stay there, make sure you're doing it in a country where there is demand for the field you're studying. Don't repeat my mistake :D

Make sure to investigate the laws of staying in a country after finishing your studies, for example in Germany we could get Job Seeking residence permit for up to 18 months (given you have enough money to finance your stay) upon finishing your master degree, and would turn into normal work residence permit upon signing a contract.

Good luck :)