Elections Muki Manifesto

Muki

Orange Room Supporter
I would like to announce my candidacy to become a moderator on the forum. The forum can use a fresh face and a different style of moderating.

In the past couple of years, quality of discussions has deteriorated. The forum became a place where members spoke past each other and not with each other. Discussions devolved into pissing contests and toxic mudslinging. It has created a bitter, hostile environment for everyone. It is time to start working on ensuring what caused this does not happen in the future. That is going to require some work from moderation team, and I have some suggestions. But ultimately it comes down to every member making an extra effort to focus on discussing ideas rather than character. Moving away from labeling other members would be a good place to start.

Moderator code of conduct.

The moderator code of conduct is a good place to start for every moderator in the forum. It is there to give guidelines for the mods to be impartial towards all members. Having said that, it does fall short on one occasion. A new code should be added to say: Moderators should not moderate discussions they are part of. Note I say discussions and not threads, because the concern is partiality towards members moderator is directly interacting with. Following this code will make sure a moderator is never put in a position where they can abuse their power over someone they are having a disagreement with.

In the past, I took a more laissez-faire approach towards moderating. I seldom deleted entire posts -- I preferred to edit. But now I think some deletions are in order so that we can keep threads clean and on-topic. The deletions will NOT be arbitrary, and they WILL be impartial.

Member code of conduct.

As moderators have a code of conduct, I propose a member code of conduct. These are not official forum rules so not adhering strictly to them will not penalize you, but they are guidelines to keeping discussions on the forum civil and pleasant, even at moments of intense disagreement. They also make sure forum rules are not being broken.

While the following can be debated and amended (and further deliberation will be held by new moderation team I suspect), they are an idea of what I'm leaning towards. They can be added to the Orange Room Etiquette (which should be a stickied thread) and referenced in the forum rules.

Don't Flame

Disagreement is a normal part of life, and just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean you need to insult them. Whatever the reason for disagreement -- ignorance or otherwise -- you should not flame them out of the forum. If they post something that breaks the forum rules, do not respond to them -- instead, use the report button to let the moderators know about it. Moderators have the power to deal with rule breakers and insult wars far better than regular members.

Be Coherent

If no one understands what you're saying, they're certainly not going to learn anything from it. But, even worse, they're either not going to reply, or they're going to start making false assumptions about what you're saying. Bottomline, it is important to stay coherent in your message. Organize your posts into paragraphs or sections, or even bullet points, to make them easier to understand. If you use pronouns, make sure we know who you are talking about. Endless use of pronouns in incoherent sentences create confusion and minimizes the quality of an argument.

Don't Spam

Make your replies relevant to the topic. Do not take part in side conversations. If you notice spam, use the report button rather than deal with it yourself.

Give Sources

If you are sharing some information that may not be general knowledge, please share your sources. If you are sharing news, share your sources. Basically if you are using outside sources, post a link to the original source so members can check it out.

Sharing Links

Internet 101: Do not click links that say "click here." So, when you do share links to sources, make the link text descriptive of what the link is actually about.

Use Quotes or Mentions

When responding to a specific argument by a member, either use the mention feature (using @ in front of a member's username) or the quote feature. It makes it easier to track who you are responding to.

Don't Strawman

Don't strawman. Other than being annoying, it threatens your credibility and undermines your argument.

Read Links

If a user provides a link to support an argument they are making, be courteous enough to read it. At worst you learn something new.

Don't be Mean or Nasty

If you disagree with someone, don't attack them or their political/religious beliefs. Tell them politely why you disagree with them. Insulting other members will get you nowhere but banned.

I Hate You

Not everyone will agree with you, no matter how super-great you are. Understand this, plus the difficulties involved in altering someone's deep-felt views over a text-only forum, and accept it. Don't try to force them into other beliefs. It will not end well.

One Source Arguments

If you can't provide more than one source, don't try to argue that position. Substantiating an event/opinion/theory requires more than just one source, even if the source happens to be the President/Prime Minister.

Posting Videos

If you are going to share a long video, great -- but, please be courteous and share a bullet point summary about the contents of the video.
Separation of moderator vs. personal opinions.

While the idea of having two separate accounts -- one moderator and one personal (main) username -- is a great way to start in separating between moderator's opinions and personal opinions, I think it is a hassle for the moderator who is after all doing a volunteer job. For example, 90% of the time I spend on the forum is done through my mobile device. You can probably see why I would not be looking forward to logging in and out of the two accounts every time I want to moderate or post. (For the record, my account is permanently logged on).

But I do have a compromise that I feel would address the issue. I am not familiar with the technical side of this forum's server, but maybe @Jo can add a feature that allows mods to use moderator tags when they are posting content related to moderation. I have seen it done on other forums that do not use XenForo and it looks like this:

F4JYj7P.png

GUGhIZH.png

Anything posted by a mod inside moderator tags is content related to moderation. Anything posted outside is personal opinion.

Rule changes.

I propose adding the following rules:

-No threats of any kind. Threatening other members, in public or via PM, with real-life dangers will get you an immediate and permanent ban.
-Zero tolerance for harassment. Harassing other members (or moderators), in public or via PM, will get you an immediate and permanent ban. Evading the ignore feature to deliberately harass another member will get you banned.
-No sock puppet accounts. Creating sock puppet accounts, whether you've been banned or not, is a no-no. Repeatedly breaking this rule will result in permanent ban.

Reputation system.

I propose implementing a reputation system in the forum. A reputation system ultimately depends on how it's implemented and how it's being used. In the past, a similar system of like and dislike was implemented on the forum, but it was implemented with no clear guidelines and became prone to abuse. Therefore, I am drawing on my experience with other forums that have implemented a reputation system successfully in order to voice my opinion on the kind of reputation system we should have here on the forum. Again, I have zero clue about the technical side of this or whether it is possible to implement.

The goal is to improve the level of speech in the forum. A reputation system may motivate members to pay attention to how they are crafting their arguments.

Having said that, a reputation system in an online forum is one of those tools that are most prone to abuse. So, the following are simple guidelines to follow in order to minimize the chance of abuse. Do note that they are not strict and they are quite arbitrary as they are drawn from forums that are much bigger in size, and we can play with the numbers till we get it right. I may also be forgetting something, so if you see a concern that I have not addressed, feel free to voice it.

-Reputation system will be implemented on trial basis for a three month (or 90-day) period. After that, it will be evaluated by the moderation team and a decision will be taken on whether to continue or discontinue it.
-Members (and mods) can give positive or negative reputation points.
-Maximum of 2 reputation points per member per day, so choose wisely.
-No one can give a negative reputation point before earning 200 positive reputation points.
-Every reputation point given must have a corresponding comment. Users and moderators MUST know why you are giving a positive or negative reputation. Reputation points can be removed if reason is deemed unacceptable.
-As you may have deduced, that means reputation points, the comments, and those who give them are all public information. All in the interest of transparency and accountability.
-Members must have minimum of 50 posts before being able to use the reputation system.
-You must give reputation points to 5 different users before being able to give reputation points to the same user again. This is to prevent people from giving positive rep to their friends or negative rep to their adversaries.
-A thread sampling examples of posts/reasons to give positive and negative reputation points shall accompany the launch of this reputation system, to serve as guidelines for members to use in determining when and how to give reputation.
-A member's feedback thread will also accompany launch of system, and concerns of members regarding system will be addressed.
-Members will have the ability to file complaints or appeal negative reputations.

Great, but why should you care about the reputation system? Why does positive reputation get you? How does negative reputation harm you?

Ultimately, the satisfaction of having your opinion valued by fellow members and the fact that you would be contributing to a healthy, clean atmosphere where exchange of ideas is welcomed and encouraged should be enough reward. But I think something more substantial can be offered.

For members with high negative reputation, I suggest hiding their posts and preventing them from being able to create threads. For members with high positive reputation, I suggest giving them temporary ORS access and ability to give more reputation points the higher positive reputation they earn. Suggestions for rewards/punishments are always welcome.

If you're still with me, boy do you not have a lot of time on your hands. But thanks for reading and I hope to get your vote. Let's Make the ORoom Fun Again!
Also, don't forget to vote today (if you're in the US). Remember- employer cannot penalize you for taking time off to vote.

• Advertisement
  • Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    With such an enthusiastic program, which took some time to evaluate the current state of affairs and also present workable solutions, you certainly deserve to get in there and make us see the change.
    Good luck

Iron Maiden

فإن أيرون مايدن همَّ الغالبون

Nice job syphoning my new achievements idea.. i feel like palestine right now.

I can smell @manifesto ’s string pulling all over this charade.

Isabella

The Queen Of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    I met him years ago when a girl sold her virginity
    Along with @Indie before she found the holy trinity
    We argued for hours, not my proudest moment
    Convinced me I was wrong, what a wonderful opponent
    I was an ssnper and him an Israeli
    Debates continued albeit politely
    My relationship with muki was always conflicted
    But I cannot say our confrontation was apocalyptic
    We argued about everything from terrorism to evolution
    And I still don't think he was right about his conclusion
    That the Bible's creation story was no allegory
    Since it was treated as such all throughout history!
    We also had many late night chats
    About sex, chips and salsa, even cats!
    Back when the forum had an amirkani
    Laughter was abound and good times were many
    His first time as a moderator went smoothly
    He was fair and unbiased I tell ya, truly
    A vote for him won't be wrong
    Muki is fun, muki is strong

No idea how to end this but you get the gist! Love ya mukito excellent programme, well thought out and with great ideas! I hope you win and get a chance to see it through! Good luck! 😘

Muki

Orange Room Supporter
    Along with @Indie before she found the holy trinity
    We argued for hours, not my proudest moment
    Convinced me I was wrong, what a wonderful opponent
    My relationship with muki was always conflicted
    But I cannot say our confrontation was apocalyptic
    We argued about everything from terrorism to evolution
    And I still don't think he was right about his conclusion
    That the Bible's creation story was no allegory
    Since it was treated as such all throughout history!
    We also had many late night chats
    About sex, chips and salsa, even cats!
    Back when the forum had an amirkani
    Laughter was abound and good times were many
    His first time as a moderator went smoothly
    He was fair and unbiased I tell ya, truly
    A vote for him won't be wrong
    Muki is fun, muki is strong

No idea how to end this but you get the gist! Love ya mukito excellent programme, well thought out and with great ideas! I hope you win and get a chance to see it through! Good luck! 😘
    Thanks for the walk down memory lane :).

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Good program...although I would not use the reputation feature because I wouldn't give negative points even to those who hate me, just like I never gave anyone a dislike.

Good luck!

Aoune32!

We want the forum to be fun too not a bible we just have to follow where everything becomes not allowed. Who draws the line?
    It is a good program but alot of it we dont need. The main part of the program which is needed is the language of the members here need to be picked up. What is the solution exactly?

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Along with
    We argued for hours, not my proudest
    ! 😘
    could not but ask,
    can you elaborate please how an ssnp sold her virginity to an Israeli on the Forum?
    I am really curious to know.

Muki

Orange Room Supporter
    Good program...although I would not use the reputation feature because I wouldn't give negative points even to those who hate me, just like I never gave anyone a dislike.

Good luck!
    Thank you :).

I think the system should be limited in scope. I want members to exercise restraint when using it.

Muki

Orange Room Supporter
    could not but ask,
    can you elaborate please how an ssnp sold her virginity to an Israeli on the Forum?
    I am really curious to know.
    Isabella is not talking about herself... we first interacted on a thread about a woman selling her virginity.
    At the time we met Isabella was an SSNPer. That's all there is to it...

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Isabella is not talking about herself... we first interacted on a thread about a woman selling her virginity.
    At the time we met Isabella was an SSNPer. That's all there is to it...
    Electronically and to an Israeli? I mean the virginity sale.

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I'm now concerned about this newlly declared SSNP relationship. @Muki can you please explain where do you stand in relation to SSNP?
    It is important for the vote because they are seriously fascist.