• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Myanmar wants ethnic cleansing of Rohingya - UN official

Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Myanmar wants ethnic cleansing of Rohingya - UN official

Myanmar is seeking the ethnic cleansing of the Muslim Rohingya minority from its territory, a senior UN official has told the BBC.

Armed forces have been killing Rohingya in Rakhine state, forcing many to flee to neighbouring Bangladesh, says John McKissick of the UN refugee agency.

The government of Myanmar, also known as Burma, has been conducting counter-insurgency operations since coordinated attacks on border guards in October.

It denies reports of atrocities.

A spokesman said the government was "very, very disappointed" by the comments.

Burmese officials say Rohingya are setting fire to their own houses in northern Rakhine state. The BBC cannot visit the area to verify what is occurring there, as journalists and aid workers have been barred.

The Rohingya, who number about one million, are seen by many of Myanmar's Buddhist majority as illegal migrants from Bangladesh.

Although Bangladesh's official policy is not to allow in illegal entrants across the border, the foreign ministry has confirmed that thousands of Rohingya have already sought refuge in the country, while thousands more are reportedly gathering on the border.

Some are using smugglers to get into Bangladesh, while others have bribed border guards, according to Amnesty International.

Efforts to resolve the issue must focus on "the root cause" inside Myanmar, Mr McKissick, head of the UN refugee agency UNHCR in the Bangladeshi border town of Cox's Bazar, told BBC Bengali's Akbar Hossain.

He said the Myanmar military and Border Guard Police had "engaged in collective punishment of the Rohingya minority" after the murders of nine border guards on 9 October which some politicians blamed on a Rohingya militant group.

Security forces have been "killing men, shooting them, slaughtering children, raping women, burning and looting houses, forcing these people to cross the river" into Bangladesh, Mr McKissick said.

"Now it's very difficult for the Bangladeshi government to say the border is open because this would further encourage the government of Myanmar to continue the atrocities and push them out until they have achieved their ultimate goal of ethnic cleansing of the Muslim minority in Myanmar," he said.

More...

• Advertisement
  • Manifesto

Manifesto

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I wouldn't be surprised to see @HannaTheCrusader and his fellow FPM crusaders applauding Burma's actions.

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    I wouldn't be surprised to see @HannaTheCrusader and his fellow FPM crusaders applauding Burma's actions.
    that is very normal, because you are full of hatred and prejudice, you stereotype people you do not know and think the worst them. that is the very definition of racism.

am i the only one who think that @manifesto and @Jorje are the same person? it is highly improbable that there can be two different people with such obnoxiousness around at the same time.

Manifesto

Manifesto

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    that is very normal, because you are full of hatred and prejudice, you stereotype people you do not know and think the worst them. that is the very definition of racism.

am i the only one who think that @manifesto and @Jorje are the same person? it is highly improbable that there can be two different people with such obnoxiousness around at the same time.
    I think Hanna's words speak for themselves. Everyone and their mother can tell he's prejudiced. And no, I'm not Jorje. But I'm glad I'm not the only one to point out your bigotry.

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    I think Hanna's words speak for themselves. Everyone and their mother can tell he's prejudiced. And no, I'm not Jorje. But I'm glad I'm not the only one to point out your bigotry.
    had you known hanna you would have understood the irony in your statement.
    but what does bigotry has got to do with pointing out how obnoxious of a person you are? it would be more accurate for you to state: "i am glad i am not the only one who makes you nauseated and curling in disgust", that would have been a much more accurate statement.

the extent to which you care about the people allegedly dying in myanmar is fascinating by the way. your whole focus is to use them to project your obnoxious venom upon others, regardless of hanna's perspective on the matter.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    The consequences of Western imperialism. The British colonials brought Muslims from Bangladesh on a Buddhist territory to use as laborers. These people grew in numbers, alarming the native Buddhists. And now, Westerners are pointing the finger at these natives while forgetting their role in the creation of hostilities.

Either way, I totally oppose any violence done to these poor people. But I understand why a majority Buddhist nation is worried about a rapid increase of a foreign Muslim population in their country.

Elvis left the building

Elvis left the building

Legendary Member
    The consequences of Western imperialism. The British colonials brought Muslims from Bangladesh on a Buddhist territory to use as laborers. These people grew in numbers, alarming the native Buddhists. And now, Westerners are pointing the finger at these Natives while forgetting their role in the creation of hostilities.

Either way, I totally oppose any violence done to these poor people. But I understand why a majority Buddhist nation is worried about a rapid increase of a foreign population in their country.
    Fascinating

Manifesto

Manifesto

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I understand why a majority Buddhist nation is worried about a rapid increase of a foreign Muslim population in their country.
    In a way, your said you understand their motives for violence. Just because they're a different ethnicity doesn't mean they're "foreign". Burma was created several years. Burmese Muslims are considered Burmese now.

In places like Singapore, you have Indians, Malays and Chinese. They're all Singaporeans.

If we apply your logic, we can "understand" Turkey's mistreatment of Kurds, or Saudi Arabia's discrimination against Shiites.

It's really surprising the amount of racism and bigotry that goes unfiltered on this forum.

HannaTheCrusader

HannaTheCrusader

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    The consequences of Western imperialism. The British colonials brought Muslims from Bangladesh on a Buddhist territory to use as laborers. These people grew in numbers, alarming the native Buddhists. And now, Westerners are pointing the finger at these natives while forgetting their role in the creation of hostilities.

Either way, I totally oppose any violence done to these poor people. But I understand why a majority Buddhist nation is worried about a rapid increase of a foreign Muslim population in their country.

Bhuddist should take a leaf from what the Muslims would have done in such a situation

Become a Buddhist
    Pay a hefty Jizya
    Or be killed

Takbeer. Hey am only following in Allah steps

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    In a way, your said you understand their motives for violence.
    Absolutely not. What I said, specifically, is:

But I understand why a majority Buddhist nation is worried about a rapid increase of a foreign Muslim population in their country.
    Now let me add something to this. When is the last time a Muslim majority country took in a sizable amount of foreigners, especially non-Muslim foreigners, and gave them the citizenship? You won't find many examples of this. In fact, it would be an improvement if they just stopped persecuting and ethnic-cleansing the native minorities in their own countries.

On the other hand, many non-Muslim countries take in Muslim refugees and immigrants and give them the citizenship.

Do you find this fair or normal?

Are you really incapable of understanding why a majority Buddhist country is afraid of the spread of Islam in their country? Buddhism and Islam are incredibly different ideologically, and there isn't a human being on this earth who doesn't care about preserving their culture, and who won't react if they sense a threat to it.

This doesn't mean the reaction has to come in the form of violence. But there will be a reaction.

Just because they're a different ethnicity doesn't mean they're "foreign". Burma was created several years. Burmese Muslims are considered Burmese now.
    The Rohingya are not considered Burmese. They were never given the Burmese citizenship because they are not native to the territory. They came with the British colonizers. However, they have grown in numbers and, consequently, they started asking for rights. This is perfectly understandable. What is also understandable is that the native Buddhist Burmese do not want to risk losing their culture and country somewhere down the line. Do you expect them to put their future on the line to accommodate others?

There should be a way to resolve such issues without violence, but that would entail the international community recognizing that good fences make good neighbors; and, to stop forcing people with very different ideologies to live together. I mean, look at the mess that is Lebanon.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    @manifesto

[article]
    The Rohingya insurgency in Western Myanmar is an ongoing insurgency in northern Rakhine State (also known as Arakan), Myanmar (Burma), waged by insurgents belonging to the Rohingya ethnic minority. Most clashes have occurred in the Maungdaw District, which borders Bangladesh.

From 1947 to 1961, local mujahideen fought government forces in an attempt to have the mostly Rohingya populated Mayu peninsula in northern Rakhine State secede from Myanmar, so it could be annexed by East Pakistan (present-day Bangladesh).

Rohingya insurgency in Western Myanmar - Wikipedia
    [/article]

You see where this started?

I wouldn't have an issue with the Rohingya wanting to secede, if the territory they were claiming was historically theirs. But this is just preposterous.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    It gets "better"...

[article]
    2013 Myanmar anti-Muslim riots

Tensions between Buddhist and Muslim ethnic groups flared into violent clashes in Meiktila, Mandalay Division on 20 March and continued until the 22nd, killing at least 40 and wounding 61 people. The violence started on 20 March after a Muslim gold shop owner, his wife, and two Muslim employees assaulted a Buddhist customer and her husband in an argument over a golden hairpin. A large mob formed and began to destroy the shop. The heavily outnumbered police reportedly told the mob to disperse after they had destroyed the shop. In the evening, a local Buddhist monk not involved in the incident was dragged from his bicycle, doused in petrol, and burnt alive by six Muslim youths at a nearby mosque. The killing of the monk caused the relatively contained situation to explode, greatly increasing intensity and violence.

2013 Myanmar anti-Muslim riots - Wikipedia
    [/article]

Manifesto

Manifesto

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    In fact, it would be an improvement if they just stopped persecuting and ethnic-cleansing the native minorities in their own countries.

On the other hand, many non-Muslim countries take in Muslim refugees and immigrants and give them the citizenship.

Do you find this fair or normal?
    Minorities are always at risk of being discriminated against, regardless of their religion or ethnicity. Islam is not the only religion guilty of that. After all, the largest massacre in Europe after the Holocaust was targeted at Muslim Bosniaks by Orthodox Serbs.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    [article]In 2007 the German professor Bassam Tibi suggested that the Rohingya conflict may be driven by an Islamist political agenda to impose religious laws, while non-religious causes have also been raised, such as a lingering resentment over the violence that occurred during the Japanese occupation of Burma in World War II—during this time period the British allied themselves with the Rohingya and fought against the puppet government of Burma (composed mostly of Bamar Japanese) that helped to establish the Tatmadaw military organisation that remains in power as of March 2013.

Myanmar - Wikipedia[/article]

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Minorities are always at risk of being discriminated against, regardless of their religion or ethnicity. Islam is not the only religion guilty of that. After all, the largest massacre in Europe after the Holocaust was targeted at Muslim Bosniaks by Orthodox Serbs.
    I'm not going to go into this game with you, where exceptions are brought up to explain rules; or, where false equivalencies are made. All one has to do is look at demographics in Muslim-majority countries and demographics in non Mulsim-majority countries, and the picture is very clear.

Also have a look at the information I just posted. The Rohingya want to take a piece of Burmese territory that has never been theirs, historically, and attach it to Bangladesh. They've set Buddhist monks on fire, alive. They have sided with British colonizers to fight against Burmese. And a Muslim academic claims the conflict is driven by an Islamist agenda.

I still hate to hear about people being victims of violence, and I don't condone the violence. But there is more to this story than "racist Buddhists persecuting peaceful Muslims."

Manifesto

Manifesto

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    There should be a way to resolve such issues without violence, but that would entail the international community recognizing that good fences make good neighbors; and, to stop forcing people with very different ideologies to live together. I mean, look at the mess that is Lebanon.
    What different ideologies are you talking about? The Lebanese are currently split into two political camps not religious ones. Is the fact that one community doesn't drink alcohol enough reason to call it ideological divide? I'm sorry but you're so paranoid, sometimes I get the feeling you live in Kabul not Beirut.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    What different ideologies are you talking about? The Lebanese are currently split into two political camps not religious ones. Is the fact that one community doesn't drink alcohol enough reason to call it ideological divide? I'm sorry but you're so paranoid, sometimes I get the feeling you live in Kabul not Beirut.
    Right. That's the only difference between Buddhism and Islam. Alcohol.

No, I don't live in Kabul, nor do I want to. And neither do the Burmese. That's probably why they didn't take the whole mujaheddin episode that well.