Myriam fares under backlash for appearing with a blackface in her videoclip

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

It seems the ultra-PC brigade, famous for coining the term "cultural appropriation", is alive and kicking in Lebanon as well.
After releasing her comeback song on Wednesday, Lebanese superstar Myriam Fares is under backlash for appearing with a blackface in her #1 trending videoclip.

What exactly is so offensive about wearing dark makeup to appear more African?
Why is it that whenever a white woman wears braids or a Chinese dress she gets called out for "cultural appropriation"?

What is the world coming to?

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 5.50.53 PM.png

Last edited:
  • Advertisement
  • IsaBells

IsaBells

All the jingle ladies, put your hands up!
    Orange Room Supporter
    It seems the Ultra-PC brigade, famous for coining the term "cultural appropriation", is alive and kicking in Lebanon as well.
    After releasing her comeback song on Wednesday, Lebanese superstar Myriam Fares is under backlash for appearing with a blackface in her #1 trending videoclip.

What exactly is so offensive about wearing dark makeup to appear more African?
    Why is it that whenever a white woman wears braids or a Chinese dress she gets called out for "cultural appropriation"?

What is the world coming to?

View attachment 11393
    Blackface - Wikipedia

Definitely not the same thing as wearing a dress or braids!

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Blackface - Wikipedia

Definitely not the same thing as wearing a dress or braids!

Yes. But I thought we'd discuss cultural appropriation as well, considering it's relevant to the topic.
    Whether it's wearing braids or painting your face black, the issue here is "pretending to be another race".
    Why is it so offensive?

I'm familiar with the term "Blackface" but it does not carry the same associations of racism and segregation in Lebanon as it does in the United States. The Lebanese public has not even heard about it.
    I remember there was a Lebanese Series "Niyyel el Beit", where one of the actors used to paint his face brown to look like a Srilankan.

IsaBells

IsaBells

Orange Room Supporter
    Yes. But I thought we'd discuss cultural appropriation as well, considering it's relevant to the topic.
    Whether it's wearing braids or painting your face black, the issue here is "pretending to be another race".
    Why is it so offensive?

I'm familiar with the term "Blackface" but it does not carry the same associations of racism and segregation in Lebanon as it does in the United States. The Lebanese public has not even heard about it.
    I remember there was a Lebanese Series "Niyyel el Beit", where one of the actors used to paint his face brown to look like a Srilankan.
    Yes that was blackface as well since he's presenting a caricature of another race while everyone just thinks it's incredibly hilarious! Leh since when was our society not filled with racist trash who think it's okay to literally call black people slaves?

Cultural appropriation is bad when it fetishizes something that's supposed to have cultural significance for another culture without that culture having a say in it. Blackface is not the same thing! Blackface is someone painting their face black and playing up a character... It's entirely offensive because it reduces an entire race to one stereotype and a single caricature! Ma fi gray area ye3ne!

Now I may excuse Myriam fares for ignorance, however I won't agree that blackface is any way okay or acceptable!

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Yes that was blackface as well since he's presenting a caricature of another race while everyone just thinks it's incredibly hilarious! Leh since when was our society not filled with racist trash who think it's okay to literally call black people slaves?

Cultural appropriation is bad when it fetishizes something that's supposed to have cultural significance for another culture without that culture having a say in it. Blackface is not the same thing! Blackface is someone painting their face black and playing up a character... It's entirely offensive because it reduces an entire race to one stereotype and a single caricature! Ma fi gray area ye3ne!

Now I may excuse Myriam fares for ignorance, however I won't agree that blackface is any way okay or acceptable!
    If you're playing a character that has dark hair (say Ariel from the Little Mermaid), would you not wear a red wig to stay true to the character?
    Painting your face black is the same thing.

If Black people are so proud of their skin color, why do they get offended when someone fakes a dark complexion?
    They obviously have an inferiority complex.

It's like they're waiting for the slightest thing to get offended at!
    They even made Jesus black.

IsaBells

IsaBells

Orange Room Supporter
    If you're playing a character that has dark hair (say Ariel from the Little Mermaid), would you not wear a red wig to stay true to the character?
    Painting your face black is the same thing.

If Black people are so proud of their skin color, why do they get offended when someone fakes a dark complexion?
    They obviously have an inferiority complex.

It's like they're waiting for the slightest thing to get offended at!
    They even made Jesus black.
    No it's not the same thing because it's deeply rooted in and has a long history of racism!

They're not offended because someone is faking a darker complexion, they're offended that someone thinks they are limited to that dark complexion and a few stereotypes! I don't know what's so hard to understand! Tkheyal some American wearing fake hair on his chest and screaming Allahou Akbar while wearing a tarboush and performing a dabke with a bite of hummus in his hand in order to appear Lebanese !

they're not waiting for the slightest thing to be offended by either Shu hal non argument hayda? Blackface is freaking offensive whether you agree or not!

europeans made Jesus white with blue eyes... Black people can make him black, it's actually closer to reality!

Jorje

Jorje

Legendary Member
    She's so ridiculous, I cant even find the words for habala.

As for the topic, yes it's offensive because it looks like a stupid caricature. That's not cultural appropriation. There has to be 'culture' in there for it to be cultural appropriation, lol. It's just bad taste. She doesn't look like a black woman ; more like a clown who painted herself black. Sort of like when white people wince their eyes to make themselves look Asian.

Last edited:
    JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    So having a painting where someone is pissing on Jesus, or St. Mary as a cow, it is not offensive, it is an art and Christians should be open minded.

I don't see how this clip is offensive but not an art preformance? Maybe it's an issue for those who wants to make it one

IsaBells

IsaBells

Orange Room Supporter
    So having a painting where someone is pissing on Jesus, or St. Mary as a cow, it is not offensive, it is an art and Christians should be open minded.

I don't see how this clip is offensive but not an art preformance? Maybe it's an issue for those who wants to make it one
    Go check the link I provided maybe you can understand why someone performing in blackface and reducing an entire race to their skin colour may be offensive!

Also who said you have no right to be offended by "art"?

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

No it's not the same thing because it's deeply rooted in and has a long history of racism!

They're not offended because someone is faking a darker complexion, they're offended that someone thinks they are limited to that dark complexion and a few stereotypes! I don't know what's so hard to understand! Tkheyal some American wearing fake hair on his chest and screaming Allahou Akbar while wearing a tarboush and performing a dabke with a bite of hummus in his hand in order to appear Lebanese !

they're not waiting for the slightest thing to be offended by either Shu hal non argument hayda? Blackface is freaking offensive whether you agree or not!

europeans made Jesus white with blue eyes... Black people can make him black, it's actually closer to reality!
    Let's agree to disagree, then. Blackface is just another stage prop for me.
    It's obvious Myriam did not don a blackface to mock Africans, but rather to serve the video's African theme.

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Wtf is she singing in? Is that 5eleeji? Couldn't understand a word.
    Yes, Khaliji dialect. Moroccan melody.

Is it just me or is the music video too much inspired by Nicki Minaj's "Anaconda"?
    How dare she copy queen Nicki?

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    Go check the link I provided maybe you can understand why someone performing in blackface and reducing an entire race to their skin colour may be offensive!

Also who said you have no right to be offended by "art"?
    "Maybe offensive?" Who decides that it is offensive?
    So you are attacking Myriam because her video clip "maybe offensive"... You don't even know

Jorje

Jorje

Legendary Member
    Yes, Khaliji dialect. Moroccan melody.

Is it just me or is the music video too much inspired by Nicki Minaj's "Anaconda"?
    How dare she copy queen Nicki?
    So that explains it. She drowned in black so she can look like Nicki Minaj. :lol: She couldn't find another way of copying her video.

Btw if we're going to talk about cultural appropriation in this case, it would be in regards to Gulf culture, not that anyone would care about that.

IsaBells

IsaBells

Orange Room Supporter
    Let's agree to disagree, then. Blackface is just another stage prop for me.
    It's obvious Myriam did not don a blackface to mock Africans, but rather to serve the video's African theme.
    Her entire African theme is an example of cultural appropriation! Her silly blackface looks like a very odd caricature, it's completely ridiculous! She doesn't even look black, she looks dirty... And then to top it off she added a few pieces she thought would look good with her "costume", she has a choice to wash it off at the end of the day, black people in the Arab world facing tons and tons of racism every day don't!

Blackface is not another stage "prop"! It is actually offensive, and pretty racist! Now you "agreeing to disagree" with me regarding just how racist it is is your choice, but I am looking at you with a stink eye!

IsaBells

IsaBells

Orange Room Supporter
    "Maybe offensive?" Who decides that it is offensive?
    So you are attacking Myriam because her video clip "maybe offensive"...
    I don't think you understood my post! Her videoclip is actually offensive ma fi maybe about it! I told you to read the link I provided so you can understand why it is! A history of 150 years of white people performing in blackface and playing up a caricature says it is offensive!

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Liberal countries are often victims of their own PC'ness.

Caricatures that mock one's religion are art and should be protected.
    Pretending to be another race for artistic purposes is racist and should be banned.

Africans can paint Jesus black but God forbid you do the same to your face.

Go figure...

Jorje

Jorje

Legendary Member
    Liberal countries are often victims of their own PC'ness.

Caricatures that mock one's religion are art and should be protected.
    Pretending to be another race for artistic purposes is racist and should be banned.

Africans can paint Jesus black but God forbid you do the same to your face.

Go figure...
    The proper comparison is if black pple paint themselves white to try to pass like white pple. Rightfully pple would be offended.

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Sometimes I wish I were black.
    I would move to the USA in a heartbeat, and make a fortune by suing everyone wearing braids for cultural appropriation.