Myriam fares under backlash for appearing with a blackface in her videoclip

IsaBells

IsaBells

All the jingle ladies, put your hands up!
Orange Room Supporter
Sometimes I wish I were black.
I would move to the USA in a heartbeat, and make a fortune by suing everyone wearing braids for cultural appropriation.
Cultural appropriation is not a crime! It's a social gaffe, but it's not punishable by law! People braiding their hair, wearing African dashikis, painting their faces with sugar skulls, etc. Look completely ridiculous but they're not really breaking any laws

So you can sue, however you'd probably end up with a ton of money in legal bills

• Advertisement
  • AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

The proper comparison is if black pple paint themselves white to try to pass like white pple. Rightfully pple would be offended.
    They do it all the time. The market is flooded with whitening creams.

jadd

jadd

afaik no one can sue someone for "cultural appropriation", they just get angry about it online..?

The_FPMer

The_FPMer

Sometimes I wish I were black.
    I would move to the USA in a heartbeat, and make a fortune by suing everyone wearing braids for cultural appropriation.
    And then get killed in your neighborhood from a gangbang shootout :p

The_FPMer

The_FPMer

The proper comparison is if black pple paint themselves white to try to pass like white pple. Rightfully pple would be offended.
    They do, and they spend fortunes on wigs to have hair like non-black people.

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

afaik no one can sue someone for "cultural appropriation", they just get angry about it online..?
    Yes, but the United Nations is working with indigenous people from around the world to make cultural appropriation illegal.
    They held a meeting not long ago.

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    Some black people do say racist things about whites and within their jokes. I don't see the outrage from the left of reverse racism. You are perfectly practicing discriminatory approaches when you treat racism differently because of skin color.

Either fair game for all, or let anyone express anything he wants. Either we have to respect all people equally and not offending anyone, or equally let things offensive to all. Double standardand reverse racism will have a backlash

IsaBells

IsaBells

Orange Room Supporter
    Some black people do say racist things about whites and within their jokes. I don't see the outrage from the left of reverse racism. You are perfectly practicing discriminatory approaches when you treat racism differently because of skin color.

Either fair game for all, or let anyone express anything he wants. Either we have to respect all people equally and not offending anyone, or equally let things offensive to all. Double standardand reverse racism will have a backlash
    There is no such thing as reverse racism it's just racism! Ye3ne if a black person is racist towards white people he's just racist mesh reverse racist! Hayda l narrative is just garbage!

Racism is racism and it is not dependent on skin colour, luckily we live in a world where all races can be equally racist towards each other! That doesn't make one instance of racism okay or justifiable because black people can also be racist!

IsaBells

IsaBells

Orange Room Supporter
    They do, and they spend fortunes on wigs to have hair like non-black people.
    That, unfortunately, doesn't make the point you think it does! Beauty standards are very eurocentric, and that is why black people use skin whitening products, think it's necessary to pay tons of money on hair, etc. And it's not just black people anyway! What do you think these fair and lovely ads are about in Lebanon?

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    There is no such thing as reverse racism it's just racism! Ye3ne if a black person is racist towards white people he's just racist mesh reverse racist! Hayda l narrative is just garbage!

Racism is racism and it is not dependent on skin colour, luckily we live in a world where all races can be equally racist towards each other! That doesn't make one instance of racism okay or justifiable because black people can also be racist!
    But it is you "the leftists" who are practicing the double standards. The minute someone pokes a black joke, you ruin his career, but give a blind eye on jokes against white people.

Look at Don Lemon on CNN... He accused all white people as terrorists... He still have his job, none of you condemned his sentence... But imagine a white journalist accusing black people of terrorism... How long do you think he stays in his job?

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

I don't think you understood my post! Her videoclip is actually offensive ma fi maybe about it! I told you to read the link I provided so you can understand why it is! A history of 150 years of white people performing in blackface and playing up a caricature says it is offensive!
    What is insensitive or taboo to one culture, may be acceptable to another.
    A certain makeup, hairstyle, or costume may not have the same negative associations in a different part of the world.

Take La Semana Santa in Spain for instance.

When a Spaniard sees a white hood, he thinks Holy Week processions wear.
    For an American's it's a reminder of the KKK.

The Blackface is offensive in America due to their history of slavery, but it shouldn't have the same associations in Lebanon.
    We were never violent to black people.

La Semana Santa in Seville.

article-2126101-127E09CF000005DC-311_634x415.jpg

IsaBells

IsaBells

Orange Room Supporter
    But it is you "the leftists" who are practicing the double standards. The minute someone pokes a black joke, you ruin his career, but give a blind eye on jokes against white people.

Look at Don Lemon on CNN... He accused all white people of terrorists... He still have his job, none of you condemned his sentence... But imagine a white journalist accusing black people of terrorism... How long do you think he stays in his job?
    Not sure where you got the impression that this "you the leftists" garbage flies with me and would entice me to reply to your post! Or that I would think it's okay to call all white people terrorists for that matter!

IsaBells

IsaBells

Orange Room Supporter
    What is insensitive or taboo to one culture, may be acceptable to another.
    A certain makeup, hairstyle, or costume may not have the same negative associations in a different part of the world.

Take La Semana Santa in Spain for instance.

When a Spaniard sees a white hood, he thinks Holy Week processions wear.
    For an American's it's a reminder of the KKK.

The Blackface is offensive in America due to their history of slavery, but it shouldn't have the same associations in Lebanon.
    We were never violent to black people.

La Semana Santa in Seville.

View attachment 11394
    Not the same thing!

Just look at the example of the guy playing a Sri Lankan worker you gave! That's a prime example of blackface having the same cultural connotations in Lebanon it does in America!

You can give the example of zambo or whatever festival they do in Tripoli where they paint their faces black to celebrate lent... However that's clearly not what myriam did! She painted her skin black to appear African and reduced an entire race to their skin colour!

Now I'm done with this thread! No matter how many of you would try to justify racism stemming from ignorance - I'm saying ignorance but it may be more sinister and she needed the publicity from pulling such a stunt- it would still be racist! See ya the next time you want to be wrong!

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

No it's not the same thing because it's deeply rooted in and has a long history of racism!

They're not offended because someone is faking a darker complexion, they're offended that someone thinks they are limited to that dark complexion and a few stereotypes! I don't know what's so hard to understand! Tkheyal some American wearing fake hair on his chest and screaming Allahou Akbar while wearing a tarboush and performing a dabke with a bite of hummus in his hand in order to appear Lebanese !

they're not waiting for the slightest thing to be offended by either Shu hal non argument hayda? Blackface is freaking offensive whether you agree or not!

europeans made Jesus white with blue eyes... Black people can make him black, it's actually closer to reality!
    A comedy without stereotypes is like peanut butter without Jelly.
    Most comedies are based on stereotypes.
    Gays get stereotyped as flamboyant and sassy. Latinas as bombshells. Indians as socially-inept geeks.

Myriam Fares did not portray Black people as gangsters. She's pretending to be an African dancer for God's sake.
    There's nothing offensive about it.

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Not the same thing!

Just look at the example of the guy playing a Sri Lankan worker you gave! That's a prime example of blackface having the same cultural connotations in Lebanon it does in America!

You can give the example of zambo or whatever festival they do in Tripoli where they paint their faces black to celebrate lent... However that's clearly not what myriam did! She painted her skin black to appear African and reduced an entire race to their skin colour!

Now I'm done with this thread! No matter how many of you would try to justify racism stemming from ignorance - I'm saying ignorance but it may be more sinister and she needed the publicity from pulling such a stunt- it would still be racist! See ya the next time you want to be wrong!
    Actually, Zambo is far more offensive.
    Once the parade is over, participants jump into the sea to wash off their black paint and clean themselves before lent.

Just ask @Aoune32! He's an expert on the subject.

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    A comedy without stereotypes is like peanut butter without Jelly.
    Most comedies are based on stereotypes.
    Gays get stereotyped as flamboyant and sassy. Latinas as bombshells. Indians as socially-inept geeks.

Myriam Fares did not portray Black people as gangsters. She's pretending to be an African dancer for God's sake.
    There's nothing offensive about it.
    Italians are portrayed as Mafia in most movies... I don't see the fake cry... Selective discriminatory approaches I guess

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    Not the same thing!

It's not others fault if you see all things from a racist angle. And stop calling people ignorant if they disagree with you, it is offensive lol

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    It seems the ultra-PC brigade, famous for coining the term "cultural appropriation", is alive and kicking in Lebanon as well.
    After releasing her comeback song on Wednesday, Lebanese superstar Myriam Fares is under backlash for appearing with a blackface in her #1 trending videoclip.

What exactly is so offensive about wearing dark makeup to appear more African?
    Why is it that whenever a white woman wears braids or a Chinese dress she gets called out for "cultural appropriation"?

What is the world coming to?

View attachment 11393

It's a mouda in Lebanon now especially from the so called elitists trying to imitate their Western hypocrite elites. Each live in a multi million dollar houses cars and a dress that can feed a family for a year, than they have the Wa2e7a to talk about inequality and social issues.

IsaBells

IsaBells

Orange Room Supporter
    It's not others fault if you see all things from a racist angle. And stop calling people ignorant if they disagree with you, it is offensive lol
    I see you want to make a habit of misunderstanding my post and attacking me with irrelevant nonsense... Read my post again and try to spot the difference between your interpretation and what I actually stated!

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    I see you want to make a habit of misunderstanding my post and attacking me with irrelevant nonsense... Read my post again and try to spot the difference between your interpretation and what I actually stated!
    What's wrong with someone portraying as an African tribe in an art preformance? Are African tribes something to be ashamed of, or what? If a black woman singer preforms in an oriental dancing or theme, would that be called racist too?