Myriam fares under backlash for appearing with a blackface in her videoclip

• Advertisement
  • AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Cultural appropriation is not a crime! It's a social gaffe, but it's not punishable by law! People braiding their hair, wearing African dashikis, painting their faces with sugar skulls, etc. Look completely ridiculous but they're not really breaking any laws

So you can sue, however you'd probably end up with a ton of money in legal bills
    Why would a white women look ridiculous with braids? Some women call pull the look really well.

Do black women look ridiculous with straight hair?

IsaBells

IsaBells

All the jingle ladies, put your hands up!
    Orange Room Supporter
    What's wrong with someone portraying as an African tribe in an art preformance? Are African tribes something to be ashamed of, or what? If a black woman singer preforms in an oriental dancing or theme, would that be called racist too?
    What's wrong is that she painted her body in order to appear black, and I said she may have done so out of ignorance - without knowing that blackface is offensive - the rest of her video on the other hand is just cultural appropriation which is a lot less offensive since it does not play up stereotypes or reduces people to their skin colour or portrays them as just a caricature!

It's really not a an "art" performance! Not unless this is also "art" :

Either way though people have a right to be offended by whatever "artistic" piece they find offensive! Like Christians in your example previously

IsaBells

IsaBells

Orange Room Supporter
    Why would a white women look ridiculous with braids? Some women call pull the look really well.

Do black women look ridiculous with straight hair?
    I meant the dashikis and sugar skulls! Some people look good in braids that's a non issue, also braids are not limited to one culture, almost every single culture that ever came to existence braided hair at one point or another!

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    What's wrong is that she painted her body in order to appear black, and I said she may have done so out of ignorance - without knowing that blackface is offensive - the rest of her video on the other hand is just cultural appropriation which is a lot less offensive since it does not play up stereotypes or reduces people to their skin colour or portrays them as just a caricature!

It's really not a an "art" performance! Not unless this is also "art" :

Either way though people have a right to be offended by whatever "artistic" piece they find offensive! Like Christians in your example previously
    So because of this idiot, anyone who blackface must be considered a racist regardless of the content of the theme. Right?

How about pulling out countless of videos portraying blond women as dumb, isn't that offensive to white women?Would you call Lebanese singers to stop portraying themselves as blonds because it is offensive to white women?

IsaBells

IsaBells

Orange Room Supporter
    So because of this idiot, anyone who blackface must be considered a racist regardless of the content of the theme. Right?

How about pulling out countless of videos portraying blond women as dumb, isn't that offensive to white women?Would you call Lebanese singers to stop portraying themselves as blonds because it is offensive to white women?
    It's not because of this idiot, it's because of a history of 150 years of white men putting on a black face and portraying black people as caricatures! Race is not a costume you can just put on and take off!

I said she may be unintentionally racist out of ignorance! However yes it is racist to reduce people to just their skin colour and think you have a right to portray an African woman as a middle easterner by just painting yourself brown!

The dumb blonde bombshell stereotype is also offensive! Not sure what point you're trying to make with this lol

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    It's not because of this idiot, it's because of a history of 150 years of white men putting on a black face and portraying black people as caricatures! Race is not a costume you can just put on and take off!

I said she may be unintentionally racist out of ignorance! However yes it is racist to reduce people to just their skin colour and think you have a right to portray an African woman as a middle easterner by just painting yourself brown!

The dumb blonde bombshell stereotype is also offensive! Not sure what point you're trying to make with this lol
    She portrayed herself as a blond, sometimes brown and now black. Who are you to tell her what she is supposed to be?

Ridiculous

IsaBells

IsaBells

Orange Room Supporter
    She portrayed herself as a blond, sometimes brown and now black. Who are you to tell her what she is supposed to be?

Ridiculous
    Where did you see me telling her what to do? You're the only one being ridiculous here trying to justify casual racism with random arguments and misunderstanding posts! She can do whatever the f*ck she wants to do and I can criticise her for it and say her actions are racist either out of ignorance or on purpose to get people to talk about her! That's the beauty of free speech, I can express any freaking opinion I want to express and you can do so as well by justifying her casual racism!

What is ridiculous is that you refuse to even entertain the possibility that her actions were culturally insensitive specifically towards black people in the Arab world who face the most severe forms of racism and even modern day slavery, and want to rush to her defense regardless of historical context and facts!

Also dying your hair is not the same thing as painting your body to appear of a different race! I can't believe I actually have to point that out!

Also since you insist on being unnecessarily confrontational with me while repeatedly misunderstanding my post, we are done here!

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    Where did you see me telling her what to do? You're the only one being ridiculous here trying to justify casual racism with random arguments and misunderstanding posts! She can do whatever the f*ck she wants to do and I can criticise her for it and say her actions are racist either out of ignorance or on purpose to get people to talk about her! That's the beauty of free speech, I can express any freaking opinion I want to express and you can do so as well by justifying her casual racism!

What is ridiculous is that you refuse to even entertain the possibility that her actions were culturally insensitive specifically towards black people in the Arab world who face the most severe forms of racism and even modern day slavery, and want to rush to her defense regardless of historical context and facts!

Also dying your hair is not the same thing as painting your body to appear of a different race!
    You are telling her if she imitate herself as a black woman, she is a racist... Why don't we see the same standards when a Lebanese singer imitates white people?

IsaBells

IsaBells

Orange Room Supporter
    You are telling her if she imitate herself as a black woman, she is a racist...
    I'm saying if she wants to paint her body brown and act as if she's black then she's being racist yes, how exactly is that me telling her what to do?

I'm saying that I think what she already did is racist! Kamena I'm not allowed to express an opinion on her actions?

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    I'm saying if she wants to paint her body brown and act as if she's black then she's being racist yes, how exactly is that me telling her what to do?

I'm saying that I think what she already did is racist! Kamena I'm not allowed to express an opinion on her actions?
    And if she imitates herself as a white woman, would you consider this racism too, or there is a double standards? Thus, it's not about portraying other races as much as it is a certain race... Thus, reverse racism...

IsaBells

IsaBells

Orange Room Supporter
    And if she imitates herself as a white woman, would you consider this racism too, or there is a double standards? Thus, it's not about portraying other races as much as it is a certain race... Thus, reverse racism...
    Yes if she wants to paint herself white and play up a white woman caricature I would think she is racist... Unfortunately people do something similar every day though, as I explained before beauty is very eurocentric, so black and middle Eastern women, really anyone with a bit of melanin think they need to have lighter skin and use skin bleaching products in order to appear "more white" since that's thought of as more attractive or desirable.

There is no reverse racism, there is just racism! Nothing stops a black or an Asian or an Arab or a European from being racist! Baddak t2elle people are not racist towards Arabs? Or that Arabs themselves are not racist towards Indians, Philippinos, Ethiopians, europeans, or anyone that looks different? One instance of racism does not justify another!

S

Saj

Blackface is racist, point blank. And if you think it’s a bad thing people are calling out racism than that reflects poorly on you. Call them PC police or whatever you want, the anti-racists aren’t the ones on the wrong side of history, the world keeps moving.

Nobody addressing this topic is Black, so I do not expect anyone who thinks it’s not a big deal to know any better, especially in Lebanon where we know just how racist some of our people can be.

S

Saj

There is no such thing as racism against white people if we are to look at racism as being reproduced structurally and systemically. You might mean prejudice.

In the west some white people suffer from poverty and social ills. But they are not suffering because of their whiteness, they are suffering despite it. That cannot be said for a lot of other groups who are living with legacies of oppression on their shoulders. You cannot compare a Black family that had grandparents as slaves and parents living under segregation to a white family. The white family has possibly accumulated wealth over generations and has been free to do so. Most Black families have not had that opportunity. Like I said Jim Crow laws and segregation were recent history.

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    Yes if she wants to paint herself white and play up a white woman caricature I would think she is racist... Unfortunately people do that every day though since as I explained before beauty is very eurocentric, black and middle Eastern women, really anyone with a bit of melanin think they need to have lighter skin and use skin bleaching products in order to appear "more white" since that's thought of as more attractive or desirable.

There is no reverse racism, there is just racism! Nothing stops a black or an Asian or an Arab or a European from being racist! Baddak t2elle people are not racist towards Arabs? Or that Arabs themselves are not racist towards Indians, Philippinos, Ethiopians, europeans, or anyone that looks different? One instance of racism does not justify another!
    Well, she had many videos clips portraying as a white woman, where was your outrage of you thought it is racist?

Plus, you said it is a eurometric beauty, seeking beauty into being lighter skin... while you have a brown woman going darker skin and showing black beauty but somehow is racist from you...

Can't see things from outside identity garbage?

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    There is no such thing as racism against white people if we are to look at racism as being reproduced structurally and systemically. You might mean prejudice.

In the west some white people suffer from poverty and social ills. But they are not suffering because of their whiteness, they are suffering despite it. That cannot be said for a lot of other groups who are living with legacies of oppression on their shoulders. You cannot compare a Black family that had grandparents as slaves and parents living under segregation to a white family. The white family has possibly accumulated wealth over generations and has been free to do so. Most Black families have not had that opportunity. Like I said Jim Crow laws and segregation were recent history.
    That's not the topic here. Many black people started with nothing and made something out of themselves... You are just giving a bad example, disencouraging black people to be successful because you believe the system is against them... Very ugly

Mrsrxmas

Mrsrxmas

Somehow a Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    great publicity for myriam fares...never would of seen or heard this shit...(scanned through it a bit didnt watch either) ...any publicity is good publicity
    can we get back to real music please?

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

I think the video should be viewed as an empowerment of African women and a celebration of black beauty.

It's the first time a Lebanese female singer dares to go black in a video.

But then again the world is full of cynicism.

S

Saj

That's not the topic here. Many black people started with nothing and made something out of themselves... You are just giving a bad example, disencouraging black people to be successful because you believe the system is against them... Very ugly
    The US was built on the genocide of Natives and enslavement of African Americans. I do not “believe” the system is against them... it is very clearly against them. And it hasn’t changed, it’s gotten more subtle and smarter. The US incarcerates Black people at higher rates than Whites, Black people get sentenced to longer prison terms than Whites who commit the SAME crime, and laws are made with social calculations taken into account. Example: possession of crack gets people longer sentences than possession of coke, even though crack is just cocaine with baking soda. Why? Crack is more prevalent in non-white areas vs. cocaine being a drug of choice in white areas.

Very few people in the US deny anti-Black racism is not still a thing, even a lot of the right. Even Trump of all people acknowledges the criminal justice system is broken and and recently pardoned a woman serving decades for a minor drug offense. Weird to be on a Lebanese forum and see this denial.