Myriam fares under backlash for appearing with a blackface in her videoclip

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

great publicity for myriam fares...never would of seen or heard this shit...(scanned through it a bit didnt watch either) ...any publicity is good publicity
can we get back to real music please?
I don't listen to Arabic pop, but I think Myriam Fares is one of the rare Lebanese singers who actually takes her music seriously. She has a decent voice, can actually dance, and she doesn't skimp when it comes to music videos. They're always paired with some nice cinematography and production design.

I think we should give her some credit. Her music may not be to your liking but it's far from being trashy. It's better than the rural Syrian folk music that's invading Lebanon.

• Advertisement
  • JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    The US was built on the genocide of Natives and enslavement of African Americans. I do not “believe” the system is against them... it is very clearly against them. And it hasn’t changed, it’s gotten more subtle and smarter. The US incarcerates Black people at higher rates than Whites, Black people get sentenced to longer prison terms than Whites who commit the SAME crime, and laws are made with social calculations taken into account. Example: possession of crack gets people longer sentences than possession of coke, even though crack is just cocaine with baking soda. Why? Crack is more prevalent in non-white areas vs. cocaine being a drug of choice in white areas.

Very few people in the US deny anti-Black racism is not still a thing, even a lot of the right. Even Trump of all people acknowledges the criminal justice system is broken and and recently pardoned a woman serving decades for a minor drug offense. Weird to be on a Lebanese forum and see this denial.
    And during Islamic conquests, Muslims took many white people as slaves... So?

What does that have to do with Miriyam's video clip?

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Where did you see me telling her what to do? You're the only one being ridiculous here trying to justify casual racism with random arguments and misunderstanding posts! She can do whatever the f*ck she wants to do and I can criticise her for it and say her actions are racist either out of ignorance or on purpose to get people to talk about her! That's the beauty of free speech, I can express any freaking opinion I want to express and you can do so as well by justifying her casual racism!

What is ridiculous is that you refuse to even entertain the possibility that her actions were culturally insensitive specifically towards black people in the Arab world who face the most severe forms of racism and even modern day slavery, and want to rush to her defense regardless of historical context and facts!

Also dying your hair is not the same thing as painting your body to appear of a different race! I can't believe I actually have to point that out!

Also since you insist on being unnecessarily confrontational with me while repeatedly misunderstanding my post, we are done here!
    Black people in the Arab world are not familiar with blackface. I'm sure they're not the ones who got offended.
    The backlash was probably started by some leftist Lebanese elitists.

The majority of Arabs are brown anyway.

S

Saj

And during Islamic conquests, Muslims took many white people as slaves... So?

What does that have to do with Miriyam's video clip?
    Myriam’s music video featured blackface. Blackface perpetuates racism in society. Perpetuated racism in society gets people killed everyday.

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    Myriam’s music video featured blackface. Blackface perpetuates racism in society. Perpetuated racism in society gets people killed everyday.
    But how having a blackface prepetuate racism? You have to be racist to see it from this angle

JorjeToTheWorld

JorjeToTheWorld

Legendary Member
    great publicity for myriam fares...never would of seen or heard this shit...(scanned through it a bit didnt watch either) ...any publicity is good publicity
    can we get back to real music please?
    It's a good thing that people aren't getting away with this kind of crap actually. And thanks to manifesto too for indirectly spreading awareness of racial insensitivity/stereotypes.

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Such twisted logic.

White hoods symbolize the KKK.
    Spaniards wear similar hoods during their Easter procession and no blacks are being killed in Spain because of "racism."

We have nothing to do with the USA. Blackface doesn't carry the same guilt and stigma here.

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    It's a good thing that people aren't getting away with this kind of crap actually. And thanks to manifesto too for indirectly spreading awareness of racial insensitivity/stereotypes.
    How about religious insensitivity and stereotypes? How about picturing white man and Christians as monsters? Being biased and insensitive

IsaBells

IsaBells

All the jingle ladies, put your hands up!
    Orange Room Supporter
    Such twisted logic.

White hoods symbolize the KKK.
    Spaniards wear similar hoods during their Easter procession and no blacks are being killed in Spain because of "racism."

We have nothing to do with the USA. Blackface doesn't carry the same guilt and stigma here.
    Once again, in your own example of the guy painting his face black and playing a Sri Lankan maid that people enjoyed you gave an example of blackface that holds the same guilt and stigma in our society!

Ya Ret our racism was the same as in the United States! We're unapologetically racist in our part of the world... Taking children out of preschools because there's a black kid enrolled there, banning black people from swimming pools, even refusing to sit with them on the same table... W btejik wehde who paints her body brown and plays up an African Queen stereotype in the ugliest way possible while people defend her actions!

IsaBells

IsaBells

Orange Room Supporter
    But how having a blackface prepetuate racism? You have to be racist to see it from this angle
    Blackface - Wikipedia

Instead of spending your time asking the same question over and over and over again, how about you invest some time and read the answer!

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    Once again, in your own example of the guy painting his face black and playing a Sri Lankan maid that people enjoyed you gave an example of blackface that holds the same guilt and stigma in our society!

Ya Ret our racism was the same as in the United States! We're unapologetically racist in our part of the world... Taking children out of preschools because there's a black kid enrolled there, banning black people from swimming pools, even refusing to sit with them on the same table... W btejik wehde who paints her body brown and plays up an African Queen stereotype in the ugliest way possible while people defend her actions!
    7aram... Wallah 7aram... And pity

IsaBells

IsaBells

Orange Room Supporter
    7aram... Wallah 7aram... And pity
    What is the point of your comment? Did you just want to quote me with bullshit yet another time ?

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    Blackface - Wikipedia

Instead of spending your time asking the same question over and over and over again, how about you invest some time and read the answer!
    I don't care what Wikipedia defines it... It is common sense. Common sense says she portrayed herself as a black Queen as part of art. That twisted identity ideology and making racism out of everything can mingle with you... I refuse to take part of baiting racism

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    Al Myriam video clip is racist. It is truly the end of the world, or people have nothing to do but criticize and yetfalsafo 3a ba3d.

IsaBells

IsaBells

Orange Room Supporter
    I don't care what Wikipedia defines it... It is common sense. Common sense says she portrayed herself as a black Queen as part of art. That twisted identity ideology and making racism out of everything can mingle with you... I refuse to take part of baiting racism
    You're the one who keeps asking : "what's racist about blackface?" Halla2 seret you don't care about the answer? Common sense says she painted her body brown to appear of a different race! Minstrels were also considered "art"!

And since it's obvious you are only interested in defending her actions without actually understanding why they are wrong while accusing others of being "reverse racists" 3anjad we are done here! Keep posting your garbage I'm no longer interested in trying to reason with you!

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    You're the one who keeps asking : "what's racist about blackface?" Halla2 seret you don't care about the answer? Common sense says she painted her body brown to appear of a different race! Minstrels were also considered "art"!

And since it's obvious you are only interested in defending her actions without actually understanding why they are wrong while accusing others of being "reverse racists" 3anjad we are done here! Keep posting your garbage I'm no longer interested in trying to reason with you!

This is according to twisted identity logic. Don't force your twisted view on Myriam or others.

I'm interested if Myriam in any form or shape have disrespected black women... I don't see the disrespect... Oh she painted herself as black lol

Last edited:
    Aoune32!

Aoune32!

Actually, Zambo is far more offensive.
    Once the parade is over, participants jump into the sea to wash off their black paint and clean themselves before lent.

Just ask @Aoune32! He's an expert on the subject.
    What is offensive is you talking about a subject you know nothing about. That is what is offensive. I suggest you respect yourself.

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    So this blackface thing is based on a guy who misportrayed black people decades ago. Thus, had this guy portrayed the black people in good way, we shouldn't have problems with blackface now...

So, It all depended on this one man... Lol what small pity brains... Superficial and judgemental, non-factual, out of content they are

IsaBells

IsaBells

Orange Room Supporter
    So this blackface thing is based on a guy who misportrayed black people decades ago. Thus, had this guy portrayed the black people in good way, we shouldn't have problems with blackface now...

So, It all depended on this one man... Lol what small pity brains... Superficial and judgemental, non-factual, out of content they are
    Elnelak malyun marra read the link you were provided, you insisted on acting like an idiot! It's not "one guy who misportrayed black people decades ago" it's a 150 year history of people putting on blackface and playing up stereotypes! Mesh bass idiot, idiot w 3am tetfalsaf kamena and insulting others!

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    Elnelak malyun marra read the link you were provided, you insisted on acting like an idiot! It's not "one guy who misportrayed black people decades ago" it's a 150 year history of people putting on blackface and playing up stereotypes! Mesh bass idiot, idiot w 3am tetfalsaf kamena and insulting others!
    Did Myriam Fares stereotype or disrespect the black people in her video clip?
    If not, why are you going to put her under the same category as the ones who intentionally degraded the black people as blackface thing?

Can't you differentiate between the two? Can't facts and content rule be our metrics of judging what is acceptable or not? If the content is respectful, why do we have to dig down and associate racism in it?

Can we agree that not any blackface is "blackface", but the content of the issue?