Gives Hope Nadine Labaki’s Capernaum - serious contender for the Cannes 2018 Palme d’or

• Advertisement
  • Venomous Hummingbird

Venomous Hummingbird

That's how the ramping Nazi mind works.
    Hi there, what are your thoughts on the Lebanese elections as someone who's active in the moujtama3 madani? Was it below your expectations? Are you optimistic about the future? etc.

Silence

Silence

Orange Room Supporter
    Hi there, what are your thoughts on the Lebanese elections as someone who's active in the moujtama3 madani? Was it below your expectations? Are you optimistic about the future? etc.
    That's a long long story that deserves its own thread.... and a lot of time :}

walidos

walidos

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    LOL!!! I guess he's as effective in Lebanon as Queen Elizabeth is in the UK? Spiritual twins.
    In fact the queen is extremely effective for the UK! So the royal family brings in 2.1b£ worth of tourism (I know people who flew in to london last weekend to attend the wedding of Harry and Megan on the street :)) but also they have income of 400m£ a year which the government keeps 360m£ of after the sovereign act of 2011... indeed spiritual twins :)

Lebanon_not_Arabic

Lebanon_not_Arabic

يمكن ما يعبر عن رأي الحزب، بس أكيد بيعبر عن رأي جمهور الحزب.... و هون الخلاف ... أو الاختلاف

gramsci

gramsci

Legendary Member
    يمكن ما يعبر عن رأي الحزب، بس أكيد بيعبر عن رأي جمهور الحزب.... و هون الخلاف ... أو الاختلاف

they problem is the sick culture of them..hizbollah politically should make this statement ,..but culturally there is something wrong still..
    they have a certain vision of lebanon , identity , culture , way of life and they want to impose it wih the excuse of resistance against israel.
    that is their ideological failure..

LiNk

LiNk

Orange Room Supporter
    It should be possible to show appreciation for people giving up their life to their country WHILE also having a lot of esteem for those who make Lebanon proud in the fields of arts, sports and culture.

In the mind of most people, whether supportive of HA or not, one does not eliminate the other. You will find narrow-minded stances in every party or community, I don't think this is representative.

Lebanon_not_Arabic

Lebanon_not_Arabic

Culture and politics cannot be separated.
    Especially not when Islamists are concerned.
    Well, actually i wanted to say:

"Nothing important, it's just a cultural clash"

and unfortunately, a cultural clash within the same nation is worse than a political clash.

Lebanon_not_Arabic

Lebanon_not_Arabic

You will find narrow-minded stances in every party or community, I don't think this is representative.
    The head of Hezbollah's office of international relations (also a member of Parliament) and a senior reporter at Al Manar are not representative?

LiNk

LiNk

Orange Room Supporter
    The head of Hezbollah's office of international relations (also a member of Parliament) and a senior reporter at Al Manar are not representative?
    The fact they issued a statement means they do not all unanimously endorse his "view".

Second, and most importantly, my comment refers to the average Shia Lebanese on the street.

Lebanon_not_Arabic

Lebanon_not_Arabic

The fact they issued a statement means they do not all unanimously endorse his "view".
    Hezbollah wanted to sweep what has been said under the rug (Lebanese style).

Second, and most importantly, my comment refers to the average Shia Lebanese on the street.
    Actually, i was reading the comments of Lebanese Shiaa who were endorsing what was said.

and that's unfortunate.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    manar sabbagh is one of few respectable anchors on tv, but someone in her position and someone as smart as she is, should realize that those good people have given their lives so that their families and loved ones will remain free to invest their freedom in enhancing their reality, and capernaum is one step in the right direction. there is no exclusivity between the martyrdom of some and the excellence of others, in fact it is in their complementary nature that gives meaning to martyrdom.
    It seems this realization is lost on most HA supporters. Yes, their courage is admirable, but for what end? Endless wars, darkness, and fascistic theocracy?

It is precisely because half the equation is missing from HA's agenda that it is becoming increasingly difficult to support them.

When a Christian singer like Julia Boutros sings in praise of HA, but they are incapable of offering a simple congratulations to a Christian director without having a jealous fit, it does not bode well for the future of the relationship.

LiNk

LiNk

Orange Room Supporter
    Hezbollah wanted to sweep what has been said under the rug (Lebanese style).
    Well, perhaps. But this is speculation. It might just as well be a couple of uncoordinated stances.

Actually, i was reading the comments of Lebanese Shiaa who were endorsing what was said.

and that's unfortunate.
    It surely is unfortunate.

Look, I'm not denying that some people in Lebanon feel represented by this narrow-minded statement. I'm sure there are. It's also logical and expected that many of them can be found within and around HA.

But the thing is, these are hardliners. These are the same people rejecting everything western in bulk, ironically nagging over it on Twitter and a Mac. They are so blinded by their hate and feeling of self-righteousness that something as trivial as participating in a worldwide competition such as Cannes becomes an act of agreement with "western imperialism". And they even dare calling Lebanese Christians isolationists, ironically.

I am convinced that the average Shia - similarly to any other Lebanese - has appreciation for every Lebanese success in international competitions, whether artistic or not. Trying to paint all HA supporters as ideological freaks is certainly unfair and ends up pushing the majority away. I think this is the opposite of what we should do, as defusing polarization can force the broader-minded wing in HA supporters to take the lead in drawing the future of their community.

SeaAb

SeaAb

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    It seems this realization is lost on most HA supporters. Yes, their courage is admirable, but for what end? Endless wars, darkness, and fascistic theocracy?

It is precisely because half the equation is missing from HA's agenda that it is becoming increasingly difficult to support them.

When a Christian singer like Julia Boutros sings in praise of HA, but they are incapable of offering a simple congratulations to a Christian director without having a jealous fit, it does not bode well for the future of the relationship.
    They never aired Julia's song on Al Manar. :lol: