• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Nassib Lahoud announced his candidacy to the Presidency

taifoon

his program has the advantage of being clear especially regarding the sensitive issues.
if you review his histroy as a MP you'll see how he really did push for all that and how his opposition to the Hariri government was supported with alternate methods and projects, or in other words "contructive opposition"

Was his 'constructive opposition' against Hariri as constructive, more constructive or less constructive as his 'constructive approval' of the syrians invasion of Baada while he was appointed ambassador to Washington in 1990?

fidelio

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
What makes you sure that Hariri will listen to Aoun? Is he listening to him now? This is a bad argument, Nassib Lahoud here presented a vision, a vision that is very clear on sensitive issues. And one that is original in it's approach.
Can you elaborate more on that?
What are the sensitive issues, and what are his solutions. Just so we can be clear on what we're talking about and we'll take it from there.

Nassib Lahoud will push for the application of this vision within the constitutional powers given to him by the law.
He has to look really deep for those remaining constitutional powers because i don't think he'll be able to implement his program with only the right to give badges of honor.

taifoon

What makes you sure that Hariri will listen to Aoun? Is he listening to him now? This is a bad argument, Nassib Lahoud here presented a vision, a vision that is very clear on sensitive issues. And one that is original in it's approach.
Nassib Lahoud will push for the application of this vision within the constitutional powers given to him by the law.

Nassib Lahoud will only have the guts to 'push for' some air behind him, no more. Whoever will get pushed forward through the mercy of shady benefactors, will owe them the socks he wears. I understand your high partisan expectations on him, but for the majority of the lebanese people Nassib Lahoud is a genuin dejà vus, a mediocre passé who knows how to coexist with and adapt to anyone, including invasion armies. He simply hasn't got 'IT', you know, that real and special stuff which makes up a good and great man, a president.

nodnod

Can you elaborate more on that?
What are the sensitive issues, and what are his solutions. Just so we can be clear on what we're talking about and we'll take it from there.

You can download a PDF of the vision on the campaign website. I'll PM you the URL, I don't think it'll last long if I post it.

fidelio

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
You can download a PDF of the vision on the campaign website. I'll PM you the URL, I don't think it'll last long if I post it.

I wasn't asking for the program, i was just asking YOU , to give me YOUR opinion on those delicate issues and their solutions, because frankly i tried every laxative possible and still can't digest what he said today during the press conference.
He offered nothing new and he's still in that gray zone where you can contemplate how dark it is from one side and how light it is from the other.

nodnod

I wasn't asking for the program, i was just asking YOU , to give me YOUR opinion on those delicate issues and their solutions, because frankly i tried every laxative possible and still can't digest what he said today during the press conference.
He offered nothing new and he's still in that gray zone where you can contemplate how dark it is from one side and how light it is from the other.

What were you expecting? A lap dance?

Yes these are mostly the same issues and proposals we've been preaching for more than a decade. Yes we still stand firm on the positions we have taken in the past. Today, we are campaigning for the means to apply this vision, this old dream of a better republic.

Why not read the thing first?

fidelio

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
What were you expecting? A lap dance?
I'm not sure Nasib is into that, is he?

Yes these are mostly the same issues and proposals we've been preaching for more than a decade. Yes we still stand firm on the positions we have taken in the past. Today, we are campaigning for the means to apply this vision, this old dream of a better republic.
Frankly, you keep repeating the same issues and pointing towards the same problems, and you're so attached to those problems that when someone comes and offers everyone a solution, you disregard it (to say the least) and keep pointing to the same problems.

Why not read the thing first?
I'll do my best don't worry but I'm still asking for YOUR OWN interpretation of the problems and solutions, if you're interested in debating them, go ahead.

Simsim

Nassib Lahoud Enters Presidential Race

Democratic Renovation Movement leader Nassib Lahoud announced Thursday he is running for the Presidential office, to become the third runner for the post from the majority March 14 alliance.
Lahoud told a packed news conference attended by most leaders of the March 14 alliance: "I stretch my hand to all the political factions in Lebanon."

He stressed that he is not prepared to withdraw from the presidential race in favor of Free Patriotic Movement leader Michael Aoun, even if consensus was reached on the latter to run for the post.

Lahoud called for a "government of national unity to be formed after the election of a president."

He stressed that the new head of state should reflect a decision to "settle the crisis and not a person to run the crisis."

Lahoud, 64, is the third member of the March 14 alliance to enter the presidential race after MPs Butros Harb and Robert Ghanem.

He stressed that the March 14 alliance would eventually agree on one candidate for the nation's top post "and if they chose someone else I'll withdraw from the race and support the chosen candidate."

He declared his support for an "honorable domestic settlement based on the Taef accord and resolutions of the National Dialogue Conference and international resolutions, especially U.N. Security Council resolutions 1559 and 1701."

Lahoud also called for reviving the 1949 armistice accord between Lebanon and Israel.

He called on the state to control all weapons on Lebanese territory "through dialogue."

That was a direct reference to weapons possessed by Hizbullah.

Lahoud stressed that "the state should shoulder the responsibility of protecting the nation from Israel."

The Lebanese state, Lahoud added, should sponsor an inter-Lebanese dialogue "aimed at making use of Hizbullah's defense capabilities within the framework of the state and upon orders of the political authority."

Lahoud called for "balanced" state-to-state relations with Syria.

That, he said, "can be achieved when Syria stresses its respect for Lebanon's independence and when it refrains from interfering in Lebanon's internal affairs."

He also called for diplomatic ties between Beirut and Damascus and for Syrian recognition of the joint borders.

Lahoud said the 1991 treaty of cooperation and coordination between Lebanon and Syria should be 'reconsidered."

He declared support for the international tribunal that would try suspects in the 2005 assassination of ex-Premier Rafik Hariri and related crimes.

Beirut, 13 Sep 07, 17:26

Bachir

i watched the whole conference, it was kind of a big comedy
and the questions from the press was so stupid, i was waiting for one major question but it was never asked:
How can 14march elects you as a president, when the lebanese people took the trust away from you in the elections of 2005????

Eyes of the insane

Nassib Lahoud knows very well that he wont be president! and his poor humble common program makes my point! by all means even la samah allah w 3imil deal ma3 l vodoo w lucifer w sar ra2is!the christians will completely neglect him as president! He will taste from the same cup President Emile Lahoud tasted.

Fakhr eddine 1618

Legendary Member
i watched the whole conference, it was kind of a big comedy
and the questions from the press was so stupid, i was waiting for one major question but it was never asked:
How can 14march elects you as a president, when the lebanese people took the trust away from you in the elections of 2005????

Who cares about Lebanese people

If the US decides that King Fahed small puppet Nassib should be president then the guy will become

tattwa

He secretly knows that he will never be president: if he had one tiny hope he surely would have had his lower teeth fixed!!!!!

Free_Patriot

you fell in the trap :smile:
Aoun doesn't need Hariri's approval to his policies. Aoun doesn't rely on Hariri's political credit to push his vision through. Aoun has his own parliamentary bloc, popular support, and allies other than Hariri to have enough support to govern.

Now I repeat my question, why would Hariri listen to Lahoud now when he ignored his wonderful vision in the past?

vegojimbo

Legendary Member
Nassib Lahoud will use the powers given to him by the constitution in case he is elected president to push for his vision.

ouf ouf! shou hal shatara hayde!

now tell me which powers will he use to accomplish each point in his program? Or is it just talk with nothing concrete to back it up?

powers 2al! pfffffff.

In order for anyone to accomplish 1% of such a program, he needs a big parlementary bloc. Let's not kid ourselves and others as well with the presidential powers' argument bc after taef and the 14 feb actions from 2005 till now, they are no more.

Danny Z

Legendary Member
Nassib Lahoud will use the powers given to him by the constitution in case he is elected president to push for his vision.

How come these powers are allowed to be used by a Lahoud and not by another Lahoud, I thought all Lahouds were to be treated equally when it comes to the Lebanese law.

fidelio

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
I'm surprised that it's the DRM's prime night tonight, they just nominated a candidate for the presidency but yet, not one of them wants to discuss his program.

the_hitman_9

aoun didnt run in haret hreik, he wouldve failed.

وردا على سؤال آخر قال انا في انتخابات 2005 اعترفت بالنتيجة كما جاءت خلافا للبعض، وطبعا رافقها ظروف انفعالية، اما 2007 برهنت ان النتيجة تغيرت، ومن سيأتي الى رئاسة الجمهورية لا يقاس على يوم واحد بل على تاريخ طويل
وممارسته للسياسة في حياته

Michel Aoun as a nationscale leader has the freedom to chose where to run in the elections. Can Nassib Lahoud or Botros Harb or Nayla M3awwad or any of the other presidential candidates run in another district than where their feodal heritage is anchored and have a chance of winning on their own base ?
Besides like it was mentioned before, if there was a fair electoral law, would you think anyone has a chance against Michel Aoun in Baabda ? Think again :)

Amirkani

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
I'm surprised that it's the DRM's prime night tonight, they just nominated a candidate for the presidency but yet, not one of them wants to discuss his program.
What are you talking about? They're busy... 2 of them are already here, even though they're not the ones with the background to discuss programs... the other 2 are manning the phones at the headquarters... they take shifts... they can't all leave at the same time.

Maybe tomorrow, we will get the other 2 on the forum.

----------