Informational Nerdgasms

Iron Maiden

So in this thread i would like to invite you guys to post about sciency stuff you have recently learned about, with some basic explanation, maybe an attached doc or vid to showcase it, and say why you liked it, and if applicable, how you are going to use this newfound knowledge in your ever-going struggle to take over the world to show intellectual superiority over plebs in feeling better about yourselves.

I will start with the amazing Brachistochrone curve.

What is this u ask! Well its the fastest path to take between two points(one being higher on the y axis than the other).
And i just discovered it today and it blew my mind.
So this curve can be obtained by tracing the path that a point on the circumference of a rolling disk would have to travel. And apparently following this curve gets you the fastest between two points thx to gravity and math. What amazed me even more was that the shortest(most direct) path between two points is actually one of the slowest ways to get there.

Moreover the brachistochrone curve is also known as the tautochrone(tauto meaning same/equal) curve which means that any obect travelling it will arrive at the final destination at the same time no matter from where it started!!

I'll let my homies Vsauce a Adam savage give you guys more insight about it in this here vid:

So what was the last thing you learned that amazed you?

• Advertisement
  • Isabella

The Queen Of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Not sure this fits in this thread but I have literally just learned that drinking too much water can kill you! It's called water intoxication/ hyperhydration

And this "discovery" happened totally by accident lol! I had kidney stones about 10 years ago, they hurt like hell i wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy, and my doctor's remedy? Drink water! So ever since I've been drinking water, lots and lots of water! To the point that I now drink on average 3-5*1.5L bottles a day! Now I was talking to a friend of mine about my water intake and she told me that I need to stop immediately and explained how and why it can literally kill me! And here I thought I was just being healthy and preventing future kidney stones lol!

Here's the page on Wikipedia :

Water intoxication - Wikipedia

As to why I liked this, well now that I know I can literally kill myself by drinking water, I'm going to be attempting to drastically reduce my fluid intake! I think 2-4 l should be fine lol

Last edited:

Iron Maiden

Not sure this fits in this thread but I have literally just learned that drinking too much water can kill you! It's called water intoxication/ hyperhydration

And this "discovery" happened totally by accident lol! I had kidney stones about 10 years ago, they hurt like hell i wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy, and my doctor's remedy? Drink water! So ever since I've been drinking water, lots and lots of water! To the point that I now drink on average 3-5*1.5L bottles a day! Now I was talking to a friend of mine about my water intake and she told me that I need to stop immediately and explained how and why it can literally kill me! And here I thought I was just being healthy and preventing future kidney stones lol!

As to why I liked this, well now that I know I can literally kill myself by drinking water, I'm going to be attempting to drastically reduce my fluid intake! I think 2-4 l should be fine lol
    It does not fit per say, but i'll allow it as a general public health announcement so that other sponges people dont drink themselves to death..

Last edited:

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member

You never wondered why they tell extreme sport athletes to drink Gatorade or the like when training? :)

Iron Maiden

Quantum mechanics properties are redefining how we see and understand biology. a great explanation of some of the weirdest biological mechanism brought to you by quatum physicists. enjoy the ride :)

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    So in this thread i would like to invite you guys to post about sciency stuff you have recently learned about, with some basic explanation, maybe an attached doc or vid to showcase it, and say why you liked it, and if applicable, how you are going to use this newfound knowledge in your ever-going struggle to take over the world to show intellectual superiority over plebs in feeling better about yourselves.

I will start with the amazing Brachistochrone curve.

What is this u ask! Well its the fastest path to take between two points(one being higher on the y axis than the other).
    And i just discovered it today and it blew my mind.
    So this curve can be obtained by tracing the path that a point on the circumference of a rolling disk would have to travel. And apparently following this curve gets you the fastest between two points thx to gravity and math. What amazed me even more was that the shortest(most direct) path between two points is actually one of the slowest ways to get there.

Moreover the brachistochrone curve is also known as the tautochrone(tauto meaning same/equal) curve which means that any obect travelling it will arrive at the final destination at the same time no matter from where it started!!

I'll let my homies Vsauce a Adam savage give you guys more insight about it in this here vid:

So what was the last thing you learned that amazed you?
    Fractals. If you enjoy this stuff you'll enjoy understanding fractals and how useful they can be.