New documentary made in Tripoli, Lebanon: Concrete Forms of Resistance

Nick Jordan

Nick Jordan

Hello, sharing here info on a new film I have completed and hope is of interest.

Concrete Forms of Resistance is a documentary centred upon the Tripoli’s abandoned ‘Permanent International Fair’, designed by Brazilian architect Oscar Niemeyer. The film presents themes of progress and crisis, labour and capital, material and memory, contrasting the utopian vision of the original plans with the stark realities of sectarian divisions, regional conflicts and rising economic inequalities.

Trailer: Concrete Forms of Resistance

Interwoven throughout the film are sequences that feature Tripoli’s artisan carpenters and, who provided a key role in the site’s original construction: creating the timber ‘formwork’ moulds to cast Niemeyer’s signature curved, organic shapes. More recently, the fair’s guesthouse building has been restored to provide a workshop facility for the city's carpenters and furniture makers, who are interviewed in the film.

Further info

With thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Staff member
    Hello, sharing here info on a new film I have completed and hope is of interest.

Concrete Forms of Resistance is a documentary centred upon the Tripoli’s abandoned ‘Permanent International Fair’, designed by Brazilian architect Oscar Niemeyer. The film presents themes of progress and crisis, labour and capital, material and memory, contrasting the utopian vision of the original plans with the stark realities of sectarian divisions, regional conflicts and rising economic inequalities.

Trailer: Concrete Forms of Resistance

Interwoven throughout the film are sequences that feature Tripoli’s artisan carpenters and, who provided a key role in the site’s original construction: creating the timber ‘formwork’ moulds to cast Niemeyer’s signature curved, organic shapes. More recently, the fair’s guesthouse building has been restored to provide a workshop facility for the city's carpenters and furniture makers, who are interviewed in the film.

Further info

With thanks.
    Thank you for sharing this intriguing. What is the story behind you making this movie and where can the full version be found?

Nick Jordan

Nick Jordan

The project started from reading a article about Niemeyer's abandoned site in Tripoli, and how the former guest house there had been recently restored to be a workshop and resource for the city's wood furniture makers. That got my interest, and so I arranged the filming trip. The full film is currently being submitted to international film festivals, but will be available freely online at some point next year.

ّTelefon Kasse

ّTelefon Kasse

there should be a documentary from baalbak al hermel and shia7 and ghobayreh and laylakeh and hay el leja
    to show the miseries those who are living below the poverty line​

Nick Jordan

Nick Jordan

there should be a documentary from baalbak al hermel and shia7 and ghobayreh and laylakeh and hay el leja
    to show the miseries those who are living below the poverty line​
    Absolutely. This film though does focus upon the poverty and economic hardships faced by workers in Tripoli, and the rising inequalities and lack of public services, plus the property boom in Beirut which has only benefited wealthy investors.

Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Staff member
    The project started from reading a article about Niemeyer's abandoned site in Tripoli, and how the former guest house there had been recently restored to be a workshop and resource for the city's wood furniture makers. That got my interest, and so I arranged the filming trip. The full film is currently being submitted to international film festivals, but will be available freely online at some point next year.
    great! Post it here please when it becomes public! or a link