NGO's : tools for changes. policy reforms ... or just a factor in the political process ?

Omeros

Omeros

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
why to be part of an ngos : جمعيات غير سياسية (مش حزب) many are there for causes .

do you think while working on the concept of the ngo they though about a "Revolution"?

why not being active in an NGO beside being part maybe in a political party !?

I mean many of NGOs activists are either RESPONSIBLES in KAtaeb ( marwan abdalla for ex ) . or Lebanese forces ( maya sukkar for ex ) , etc...

• Advertisement
  • D

dyyyy

Normally NGOs have employees for the major tasks and not volunteers and they can be from any background political or not. The reason that they're sometimes involved in the political process is because it's their job. Part of their job is advocacy and they are more experienced in the Lebanese laws and in human rights

D

dyyyy

I mean many of NGOs activists are either RESPONSIBLES in KAtaeb ( marwan abdalla for ex ) . or Lebanese forces ( maya sukkar for ex ) , etc...
    And don't worry about having partisans in NGOs, even if outside it they have other ideas. when it comes to the NGO they work in, no matter their rank, the NGOs follow specific guidelines that don't give much room for personal opinions.

coralie

coralie

Legendary Member
    it is good to be part of a good will organization . many many poor ppl need help on all levels ...

anyone can tell us who "sponsor" this kind of NGOs ? helping ppl needs money no ?(medecines , hospitalization, food , ...ext) . who pay the salaries of the employees? coz as far as i know many are not volunteers walla ana gholtaneh ?

I

illusion84

it is good to be part of a good will organization . many many poor ppl need help on all levels ...

anyone can tell us who "sponsor" this kind of NGOs ? helping ppl needs money no ?(medecines , hospitalization, food , ...ext) . who pay the salaries of the employees? coz as far as i know many are not volunteers walla ana gholtaneh ?
    UN, EU, USA, LG

D

dyyyy

You're right, most get salaries , it's a mix of donations and sponsors mainly USAID,EU and UN. When you hear for example that Italy has decided to donate 10 million USD for education for lebanon, this is done through NGOs

coralie

coralie

Legendary Member
    You're right, most get salaries , it's a mix of donations and sponsors mainly USAID,EU and UN. When you hear for example that Italy has decided to donate 10 million USD for education for lebanon, this is done through NGOs
    thank you ....
    and who run such NGOs ?
    how many lebanese ppl in need benefit on monthly bases from NGOs help
    , anyone knows ? how many of these NGOs help only foreigners living on our soil more then helping our lebanese ppl in need .
    my infos are poor in this field hope i get some help to understand better . as i hear huge amounts are paid to NGOs in Lebanon millions of euros and us dollars pouring from different sources/sponsors/countries/governments... some on monthly basis and some on yearly basis .
    organisations of this kind are growing like hell in Lebanon too much too many , assemi w assemi w targets ya3ni men jami3o en veux tu en voila : houkouk el mar2a we have plenty with different colors in all regions , houkouk el tofl same ... this just an example.
    just asking out of curiosity is nt it like a good business ? we have this amount of NGOs in a so small country is nt it fishy ? just asking ! i dont see this amount of NGOs in France or in Britain or in Portugal ....

Omeros

Omeros

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    By Lebanon support

#WhatIsCivilSociety
    What is civil society? A lot has been said lately about what is civil society, or what it is not.
    Let us reframe this conversation.
    Lebanon Support will be debunking preconceived ideas and notions on #CivilSociety in a series of posts.

Definition: In Lebanon, civil society is widely used as a generic term to refer to groups from outside the mainstream political arena. Scientific and practitioners' literature generally defines civil society as the space of voluntary associative life beyond primary affiliations. The term usually refers to a diversity of actors other than the state, and to multiform practices, strategies, and modes of action.

Debunking preconception 1: “Civil society is driven by agendas of foreign embassies.”
    Civil society in Lebanon dates back to the Nahda era in the nineteenth century as shown by researcher Karam Karam (2006). In this sense, it precedes the establishment of the modern state in Lebanon in 1943. Its role during the Chehabist mandate (1958-1964) is expanded, in line with the developmental policy that consecrated the outsourcing of social responsibilities of the state to private and privately run initiatives.
    Historically the associative sector has been the main provider of social services in the country as is shown in this report (in Arabic, 2014): تقرير الراصد العربي ٢٠١٤: لبنان والحماية الإجتماعيَة: ما بين الإحسان والسياسة

Figures from Daleel Madani (daleel-madani.org), suggest a peak in NGO creation after each of the – recurring – humanitarian crisis that the country witnesses. Recently, and following the Israeli War on Lebanon in 2006 and the conflict in Syria in 2011, the associative sector saw a proliferation of new initiatives, campaigns, and organisations.
    In such times of crisis, the first responders are local initiatives, whether in the form of volunteer collectives or more institutionalised non governmental organisations. Studies on the Israeli war on Lebanon, for example, highlight the role played by independent volunteering initiatives in producing locally engaged forms of expertise that can challenge, direct, and transform global packages of aid into more locally informed and effective interventions. Read more in this article published in 2015: Local expertise and global packages of aid: The transformative role of volunteerism and locally engaged expertise of aid during the 2006 July war in Lebanon

While research also shows the extent of the overall expertise and capacity of local community based organisations since the civil war, such organisations are also able to adapt and adjust to development work, as well as relief and aid assistance. More in this report published in 2016: The role of Community Based Organizations in preparing and responding to crisis in Lebanon, a qualitative study
    Local organisations often struggle in taking on a leadership role in coordinating humanitarian responses, as these remain largely UN-agencies driven as is illustrated in this paper, published in 2014: Challenges of aid coordination in a complex crisis: An overview of funding policies and conditions regarding aid provision to Syrian refugees in Lebanon

Still, in a context of very limited public funding, non profit organisations have to resort to fundraising from international agencies, institutions, and embassies, with the dynamics governing these partnerships being often skewed and impacting project development and overall cooperation. More in this article published in 2019: Civil Society in Lebanon: the Implementation Trap

However, civil society actors navigate between their funders’ requirements and actual needs on the ground, by spearheading local causes such as, and only citing a few examples: the nationality law (Jinsiyati Lebanese Women's Right to Nationality and Full Citizenship), the demand for a unified personal status law (KAFA (enough) Violence & Exploitation), producing policy knowledge on tax and social justice (Arab NGO Network for Development), democracy and elections (LADE), access to housing (public works), reclaiming public spaces (NAHNOO), history narratives in the country (Lebanese Association for History, Committee of the Families of the Kidnapped and Disappeared, read more here: Committee of the Families of Kidnapped and Disappeared in Lebanon), workers' rights (LOWER المرصد اللبناني لحقوق العمال والموظفين) as well as putting environmental issues on the agenda (Lebanon Eco Movement الحركة البيئيّة اللبنانيّة), and inscribing these in social movements (You Stink طلعت ريحتكم in 2015, read more on the social movement responding to the Lebanese garbage crisis: Social Movement responding to the Lebanese Garbage Crisis)

Moreover, and going back to the definition of civil society, it encompasses syndicates, orders, and trade-unions. It is noteworthy to mention, as is shown by the literature on workers movements, that, since the civil war, syndicates and unions have been systematically co-opted and instrumentalised by political parties agendas (rather than foreign policy ones), instead of focusing on workers needs, rights, and priorities. Read more in this paper published in 2018: Understanding State Incorporation of the Workers' Movement in Early Post-War Lebanon and its Backlash on Civil Society

D

dyyyy

thank you ....
    and who run such NGOs ?
    , anyone knows ? how many of these NGOs help only foreigners living on our soil more then helping our lebanese ppl in need .
    my infos are poor in this field hope i get some help to understand better . as i hear huge amounts are paid to NGOs in Lebanon millions of euros and us dollars pouring from different sources/sponsors/countries/governments... some on monthly basis and some on yearly basis .
    organisations of this kind are growing like hell in Lebanon too much too many , assemi w assemi w targets ya3ni men jami3o en veux tu en voila : houkouk el mar2a we have plenty with different colors in all regions , houkouk el tofl same ... this just an example.
    just asking out of curiosity is nt it like a good business ? we have this amount of NGOs in a so small country is nt it fishy ? just asking ! i dont see this amount of NGOs in France or in Britain or in Portugal ....
    I don't have the numbers, bas this repository Daleel Madani gives an idea of what already exists :

- You have International NGOs that have their headquarters outside Lebanon
    - Local NGOs
    - Wife-Of-Politicians NGOs :D these are the most corrupt ones that get money from the government and spend it on clientelism

You're right there are millions of euros spent on syrian refugees now, because this is the biggest demand now.

To give you an idea how things work, The NGO submits a proposal with a project of what they are solving , how they are solving it with a clear timeline and the detailed budget of the project. The donors decide upon that if they fund the project or no.

The room for corruption is if someone is well connected he can start an NGO, give himself a big salary and gets fundings because of his connections (The government is also a donor through the ministry of social affairs)

I'm sure there are some of these, but i don't know the numbers and which ones are corrupt.

One last point, the number of NGOs is proportional to the misery of the country, this is why we might have more than France. I mean I'm sure we need more NGOs for women's rights than in Europe

coralie

coralie

Legendary Member
    I don't have the numbers, bas this repository Daleel Madani gives an idea of what already exists :

- You have International NGOs that have their headquarters outside Lebanon
    - Local NGOs
    - Wife-Of-Politicians NGOs :D these are the most corrupt ones that get money from the government and spend it on clientelism

You're right there are millions of euros spent on syrian refugees now, because this is the biggest demand now.

To give you an idea how things work, The NGO submits a proposal with a project of what they are solving , how they are solving it with a clear timeline and the detailed budget of the project. The donors decide upon that if they fund the project or no.

The room for corruption is if someone is well connected he can start an NGO, give himself a big salary and gets fundings because of his connections (The government is also a donor through the ministry of social affairs)

I'm sure there are some of these, but i don't know the numbers and which ones are corrupt.

One last point, the number of NGOs is proportional to the misery of the country, this is why we might have more than France. I mean I'm sure we need more NGOs for women's rights than in Europe
    thank you for the infos much appreciated.

when ppl hit the streets with above all one slogan " jo3anin " "no money" "no work" no nothing ... and we see multi million $ NGOs helping mostly foreigners i have the right to wonder .
    when i see that most of the tents in the revolution squares are for NGOs members i start wonder !!!! leih chou badon ?

when i see Syrians fully taking care of: work /house / medecines ..... and on the other side i see Lebanese ppl anja2 adrin y3icho NO AND NO AND NO i can not accept that . millions for NGOs goes to ???????????

charite bien ordonnee commence par soi-meme .
    NGOs in Lebanon are fishy ! if the syrians go back to syria they will no longer get money !!!! should i say more ?

Leb_Rebel

Leb_Rebel

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Money is invested and rarely given away. investments yield a ROI, tangible or intangible.

Whilst People can be philanthropic, say Bill Gates or Marc Benioff, Countries are, in my opinion, always looking to invest their money as a means of soft power.
    The bigger the country, the more that is true. USAID, MEPI, NED, Fullbright... its all a way to propagate America's view and way of life. Its not a conspiracy its a fact.

-> Does it mean everyone is manipulated, no, but its a slow process to convert people.
    -> Does it mean NO ONE is manipulated, no because that would be too good to be true.

agnostic

agnostic

NGOs are a mean so people can have a decent job with an acceptable salary.
    Did you mean :
    i. to help people find a way to get a decent job, hospital, education, or
    ii. to get hired by the NGO with an acceptable salary, and let their accointance to take advantage from the NGO offers

Officially, NGOs' goals is i. But in practice it is ii. And the NGOs are a facade for hiring safarat agents.

Omeros

Omeros

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    NGOs are a mean so people can have a decent job with an acceptable salary.
    do they hire ppl from all political parties some in FPM say they aren't or at least they dont target them for higher positions

Omeros

Omeros

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Normally NGOs have employees for the major tasks and not volunteers and they can be from any background political or not. The reason that they're sometimes involved in the political process is because it's their job. Part of their job is advocacy and they are more experienced in the Lebanese laws and in human rights
    thats the core of the topic : does Advocacy and lobbying work in a political party not "With" bcz for policy reforms it works
    as i got from FPM for example a non official answer : that advocacy and lobbying do not works for the party bcz they have a political opinion and the politicized must be involved with party's opinions

Omeros

Omeros

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    And don't worry about having partisans in NGOs, even if outside it they have other ideas. when it comes to the NGO they work in, no matter their rank, the NGOs follow specific guidelines that don't give much room for personal opinions.
    can you elaborate ?
    does a party do?

Omeros

Omeros

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter

I worked and volunteered and been trained in diff org , so2al machrou3 :
    if lets say for NGos for service above self like rotary and lions the money is from members its the annual feeds
    and sponsors i remember we did a campaign in DORA camp got the medicines from a company and doctors were volunteers from the club itself .

hay for this kind of ngos

the salary which is a small amount for administrative tasks is the money of members

is that what you are asking?

Omeros

Omeros

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    UN, EU, USA, LG
    a3333 depends
    the "agenda" hek esma and doesnt mean the political agenda in terms of political plan the agenda referring to the action plan of each funder
    and the Vision of the NGO presenting it paper to be funded for a "Certain " grant which is a "Project" that have a deadline

Omeros

Omeros

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    thank you ....
    and who run such NGOs ?
    fike now after responding to previous post to identify more the question (noting im not a Speaker for any Ngo just sharing my knowledge and info )
    a7san ma yo2obroune :D you know some media dep are sensitive abt this !