• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

France Notre Dame De Paris Cathedral Burning

Viral

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
watching in absolute horror and disgust! Such a beautiful historical monument being ravaged by flames... The roof seems to have completely collapsed and everything is on fire

GrumpForTrump

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Every time I go to Paris, I spend hours admiring this beauty. It's devastating to see it burning :(
Is this a terrorist attack?

What saddens me is that we've lost the original structure forever now. The restoration will never be authentic.

Mrsrx

Not an expert!
Staff member
Every time I go to Paris, I spend hours admiring this beauty. It's devastating to see it burning :(

What saddens me is that we've lost the original structure forever now. The restoration will never be authentic.
It was restored several times. the fleche was rebuilt in the 1800s but agree something will be lost forever

fidelio

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter

I don't mind restructuring and reconsructing damaged monuments. Authnticity is not really important since it's not a vintage Maserati. Monuments are living creatures and they should undergo constant upgrades and not only renovations. This accident is the prefect illustration.

GrumpForTrump

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
I don't mind restructuring and reconsructing damaged monuments. Authnticity is not really important since it's not a vintage Maserati. Monuments are living creatures and they should undergo constant upgrades and not only renovations. This accident is the prefect illustration.

Dresden was rebuilt from scratch. It's beautiful but it's too polished and looks somehow fake.
There's something special about visiting a building, knowing it has remained the same since it was built (like Rome's Pantheon for example).

fidelio

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Dresden was rebuilt from scratch. It's beautiful but it's too polished and looks somehow fake.
There's something special about visiting a building, knowing it has remained the same since it was built (like Rome's Pantheon for example).

I don't deny the charm of an untouched building but these monuments, especially cathedrals should be living buildings. It's merely my opinion that every generation should contribute something to these monuments as this will instill a sense of belonging. My approach is more social than archaeological.

Rebuilding the roof structure is an opportunity to 21st century Parisians rather than total loss.

GrumpForTrump

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
I don't deny the charm of an untouched building but these monuments, especially cathedrals should be living buildings. It's merely my opinion that every generation should contribute something to these monuments as this will instill a sense of belonging. My approach is more social than archaeological.

Rebuilding the roof structure is an opportunity to 21st century Parisians rather than total loss.

I hope it's just the spire that was affected and not the whole structure. I'm sure it's a recent addition anyway.