• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

France Notre Dame De Paris Cathedral Burning

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
I must admit that the idea of those hundreds of years old beams, taking fire all of the sudden, just like that, still puzzles me.

NOTRE DAME - AL AQSA en feu - SORAL - A T ON LE DROIT D'ETRE CON

I checked pictures of scaffolding before the fire - they do not extend to the ground.
It means that nobody who was unauthorized to be there was there.

Either fire was an accident or one should look for arsonist(s) among construction crew.

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
I take it you cannot prove your previous ignorant statement.

Don't worry, I know you took it right out of your ass. I want you to know that too, but it seems you doubled down. Dug your heals in, basking in your ignorance.

Don't mistake my amusement (and short break from more important matters) for agitation.

#ChristiansInNameOnly
it is an integral part of the Christian faith that evil spirits are provoked by the triumph of Christ on the Cross. i do not expect you to admit that you understand that, for you will certainly pretend not to. the reality remains that you display all the symptoms of such provocations, to the point of leaving all your "more important" matters to come mock a comment that was not even addressed at you. you do not have to do that you know, yet here we are having this discussion.

the decent and normal reaction when someone witnesses people praying in the streets of paris as the cathedral was on fire, is to show the decency and the respect due in such a situation instead of taking offense at a scene that is moving by both the Divine and human standards. the mockeries and slandering carry also a spiritual significance, and even if we discard that spiritual significance, we will still end up with the fact that such people are neither decent nor ethical. so why are you really working so hard to cram yourself in that group if you are not provoked or if you do not belong there at the first place? you do not have to stay there you know.

Abou Sandal

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
I checked pictures of scaffolding before the fire - they do not extend to the ground.
It means that nobody who was unauthorized to be there was there.

Either fire was an accident or one should look for arsonist(s) among construction crew.

An accident...maybe...But it's really hard to think about any possible scenario, knowing there were no electrical wires, knowing there were many anti-fire detectors and suppressors, knowing there was a 24 hours human surveillance, just for fire eventuality, knowing there were constant drastic administrative inspections...And knowing that those hundreds years old beams need much more than simple accident to take fire...

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
I must admit that the idea of those hundreds of years old beams, taking fire all of the sudden, just like that, still puzzles me.

NOTRE DAME - AL AQSA en feu - SORAL - A T ON LE DROIT D'ETRE CON
well, it is because they are old and completely dried out that they become more prone of being lit ablaze at the smallest spark. i am surprised however that the roof has not been treated with fire retardants to minimize the risks of such accidents, i was under the impression that it was a standard procedure in historic monuments and museums. and it is a relatively cheap and simple procedure.. that would have at least given the fire fighters enough time to put the fire out before it spread to consume the whole roof.

still it is an odd coincidence that the aqsa roof would also catch fire the next day.. foul play should not be ruled out without a thorough investigation.

Abou Sandal

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
....you do not have to stay there you know.

Yes he has. He has felt an awakening of something he wishes could disappear, and he couldn't bear it. It was itching him too much. He had to evacuate his feelings, one way or another.

This is the guy who runs to tell people by claiming that the Western culture has so-called "Judeo-Christian" roots, when it comes to trying to deceive them into his criminal camp, then when seeing one of the most important Cathedrals in the World and in all times burning, his first reaction is to say "What goes around comes around. For centuries, the Catholics cultivated hate towards the Jews and basically everyone non-Catholic."

Abou Sandal

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
well, it is because they are old and completely dried out that they become more prone of being lit ablaze at the smallest spark. i am surprised however that the roof has not been treated with fire retardants to minimize the risks of such accidents, i was under the impression that it was a standard procedure in historic monuments and museums. and it is a relatively cheap and simple procedure.. that would have at least given the fire fighters enough time to put the fire out before it spread to consume the whole roof.

still it is an odd coincidence that the aqsa roof would also catch fire the next day.. foul play should not be ruled out without a thorough investigation.

I think that it is the opposite, at least according to what I understood. Yes it's true, a dried wood is more prone to fire. But when huge beams become dry as much as these, they become so much compacted and compressed that there is mostly not much air inside them, which makes them extremely hard to lit. They actually need to be exposed to extreme powerful fire and high temperatures for a long time, just to start burning. A dose of napalm might even not necessarily do the job instantly.

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
An accident...maybe...But it's really hard to think about any possible scenario, knowing there were no electrical wires, knowing there were many anti-fire detectors and suppressors, knowing there was a 24 hours human surveillance, just for fire eventuality, knowing there were constant drastic administrative inspections...And knowing that those hundreds years old beams need much more than simple accident to take fire...

Yes, all that too. Anyway, looks like fire has united French - at least something.

JB81

Legendary Member
Why does it always have to be a competition. Why can’t people feel bad and sad when they see Notre Dame burning for different reasons?
Is there a hierarchy in what feelings are better than others? I’m Catholic and feel bad for Notre Dame mostly because of it’s architecture and because of its symbolism for the French. Does this make me a bad Catholic? In fact, I’d argue there is no “religious” reason to feel bad for the fire. No one was “seriously” hurt and nothing of religious significance was lost.
My daughter felt bad because we drive by Notre Dame every time we come back from the south of France and the site always amazed her. I have an Israeli friend who felt devastated because of his fond memories of Paris that revolved around Notre Dame...
So what? What does this have to do with how Christianity spread 2,000 years ago?

For Catholics and Christians, the "Notre Dame" de Paris represents the Church of all Churches delicated for "Our Lady" around the world.

So yes, Notre Dame du Liban or Montreal or Our Lady around the world are all connected to the Notre Dame de Paris.

Notre Dame de Paris represents the most sacred place to honor and venerate the Holy Mother of God.

JB81

Legendary Member

Let's not compare of what happened in this Sacred Church to whatever happens in little politics.

Yes, some politicians may want to take advantage of it, but let's keep this thread for the Notre Dame de Paris.

This Church is above our little politics and how the money is spent on it.

If you care so much about the poor, ask yourself how much you gave a poor out of your pocket today, before you ask others how to spend their money

kmarthe

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter

If you care so much about the poor, ask yourself how much you gave a poor out of your pocket today, before you ask others how to spend their money

LOL.... before that in fact, if they care so much about the poor stop electing those who have been making you poorer since three decades...

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
Let's not compare of what happened in this Sacred Church to whatever happens in little politics.

Yes, some politicians may want to take advantage of it, but let's keep this thread for the Notre Dame de Paris.

This Church is above our little politics and how the money is spent on it.

LOL.... before that in fact, if they care so much about the poor stop electing those who have been making you poorer since three decades...

There's a paywall and I can't read the article, can someone summarize it?

Jo

Administrator
Master Penguin
There's a paywall and I can't read the article, can someone summarize it?
[...]

But these statements ring hollow, and reek of hypocrisy. After all, how much of Lebanon’s unique heritage has been burned by the greed of this same political class and their close business associates?

How much historical and natural wealth has been sold to destruction around Cabinet tables or in the backrooms where most of the country’s matters are settled?

[...]

But the treatment of Lebanon’s patrimony tells us that these politicians don’t actually care about preserving the country’s heritage. What else could explain the ease with which the old Roman wall of the city is currently being ripped from its millennia-old foundations in Bashoura? Or the steady demise of the Heneine Palace in Zoqaq al-Blat, a dilapidated remnant of the country’s Ottoman era?

And can we forget the destruction of the old Phoenician port in Downtown Beirut some years ago to make way for a skyscraper - illustrating that the revered Phoenician history that some politicians love to include in speeches is somehow no match for the will of developers.

And even when heritage is kept in some state of preservation, access is often limited and the historical context that gives the old stones their meaning is nowhere to be found. The empty information panels set around the ruins of the old main road of Roman Beyrutus, itself squeezed claustrophobically between buildings in Downtown Beirut, tell you all you need to know.

[...]

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
Macron promises to rebuild NDdP in 5 years.
I am skeptical and I am glad that I was able to visit it in the past and even walk up to bell towers - the view of Paris was great.