Official petition in the Canadian Parliament to get direct Canada-Beirut flights

Discussion in 'Lebanon Away From Politics' started by Jo, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Jo

Jo Administrator
    Master Penguin

100%
    There’s officially a petition in the Canadian parliament demanding that direct Canada-Beirut flights be restored after the ban.

The petition is calling upon the Canadian Minister of Transport to restore the license and remove the ban stopping direct flights from Canada to Beirut.

Petition For Canada-Beirut Flights
    It was initiated by Christian Ziadeh from Montreal, Canada and sponsored by Canadian Federal deputy Eva Nassif – yes, who’s also Lebanese.

The Government of Canada set the ban in place a long time ago due to “security issues. The government initially granted the license to Air Canada to operate direct flights but almost immediately withdrew it in 2003.

The petition argues that there are direct flights between Beirut and many European countries, which makes the argument that there’s “security threats” invalid.

They also argue that there are “extreme economic benefits” for both countries as well as for the Lebanese diaspora living in Canada should the ban be removed.

Lebanese in Canada
    There is an estimated 660,000 Lebanese living in Canada – which makes up 2% of the entire Canadian population.

The Lebanese population in Canada is concentrated primarily in Ontario and Quebec. The last time the census was taken, which was in 2001, 41% of the Lebanese population in Canada lived in Ontario, while another 34% resided in Quebec.

The greater Montreal area has an estimated 250,000 Lebanese – making it the city with the largest Lebanese population in Canada. The Greater Montreal Area alone has about 7 Lebanese churches.

There were somewhat smaller Lebanese communities in Alberta (12%), Nova Scotia (5%), British Columbia (4%) and New Brunswick (2%).

Kevin O’Leary, a candidate for the conservative party of Canada as well as the next potential Prime Minister of Canada has a Lebanese background. He was born in Montreal to a Lebanese mother.

How does the petition work?
    You must be a Canadian citizen or resident in order to sign the petition. The petition needs to be sponsored by a member of the parliament.

After getting at least 500 signatures within 120 days of launching the petition, it is presented in the House of Commons where the government will be required to make a response.

The current petition already has almost 1000 signatures. But the more we can get, the better case we can make!

Click here to sign the petition

(if you’re viewing this from your mobile on Facebook, you will need to open this article from your computer in order to open the link)

Be sure to share this with all your Lebanese-Canadian friends! Let’s finally make direct Canada-Beirut flights happen again!

Source: OFFICIAL: There's A Petition In The Canadian Parliament To Get Direct Canada-Beirut Flights | the961

2. My Moria Moon

My Moria Moon Well-Known Member

71%
    A little surprised the Lebanese Nakhal & Cie travel agency did not already take care of this and established the direct flight line.

3. JB81

JB81 Legendary Member

100%
    Also, you can count on many Lebanese Americans to take Canada route to visit Lebanon. Many Lebanese Americans have to fly from their cities to a US International Airport( Newark, JFK, Chicago, Atlanta) than fly to Europe or a ME country, than to Lebanon.

Many US airports have direct flights to Canada; than from Canada straight to Lebanon instead of another stop as stated above. Much easier; so, you may add a potential 3 million Lebanese Americans to the 660,000 .

• Like Like x 1
  4. Aoune32!

Aoune32! Member

11%
    Isn't that normal? In Australia you need to go to Abu Dhabi or Dubai and then to Beirut. There is no direct flight. Never was.

5. CedarJet

CedarJet Well-Known Member

55%
    Toronto to Beirut, for example is around 11 hours of flight time.

Australia to beirut would be over 17-18 hours (especially with the restricted areas these days, such as Syrian airspace). Thus making it the longest flight in the world.

• Like Like x 1
  6. My Moria Moon

My Moria Moon Well-Known Member

71%
    11 hours flight is still achievable without causing crew collapse of fatigue, no?

Nice having you back posting by the way. May your birds always fly and land safe :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. CedarJet

55%
    Apologies for the late reply. As you noticed I'm not as frequent on here as I would like to be.

There are rules and regulations that must be enforced by the pilots and companies. Example would be if it's a long flight, they would have 3 or 4 pilots on one flight. As one set of crew rests, the other operates. This way the flight can be longer and pilots are rested.

• Like Like x 2
  8. JB81

JB81 Legendary Member

100%
    As said earlier, it would be beneficial to Canada to have a direct flight as many Americans would prefer to take US-Canada-Lebanon route than US-Europe-Lebanon. For instance, instead of flying from Boston New York Paris Beirut; it would be Boston Montreal Beirut; one less stop.

9. CitizenOfTheRepublic

CitizenOfTheRepublic Legendary Member

100%
    Boston has directs to the European hubs (Paris, London, Zurich, Frankfurt, Munich, Rome...) but I would still much prefer to go through Montreal because I would avoid the super-annoying 6:00AM layovers. Plus it's only a 1 hour flight.

• Like Like x 2
  10. WiseCookie

WiseCookie Well-Known Member

81%
    I'm sure there are rules, but none of it is unprecedented. I've taken 11 hour flights from NYC to Amman before, and if Royal Jordanian can do it I'm sure Air Canada can as well.

11. CedarJet

55%
    Correct, there are rules that must be adhered to. Flights are now going into the 17hr30min, so North America to Beirut is no issue whatsoever, as far as the technical and legal aspect is concerned. It's just up to the politics to get settled.

12. Chanklish

Chanklish Active Member

28%
    let hope this doesn't happen .. you fuckers deserve to suffer a bit too

13. Aoune32!

Aoune32! Member

11%
    LOL!!

14. Jo

Jo Administrator
    Master Penguin

100%
    The Petition For Direct Canada-Lebanon Flights Was Officially Presented To The Canadian Parliament

The Petition For Direct Canada-Lebanon Flights Was Officially Presented To The Canadian Parliament | The961

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Aoune32!

Aoune32! Member

11%
    man LOL
    Where do you live?
    You disliked Jo's post due to the petition going to parliament?

16. Chanklish

Chanklish Active Member

28%
    People living in canada or any similar 1st cou try world should stop nagging..come to africa ..try the true "غربة"

17. Isabella

Isabella The Queen Of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter

61%
    People who were born and raised in Lebanon have already suffered enough

18. Aoune32!

Aoune32! Member

11%
    Sydney to Beirut is like 19 hours flight time. Beat that!!
    Stop at Abu Dhabi for 3 hours. Now thats a flight not one which is 11 hours.

19. CitizenOfTheRepublic

CitizenOfTheRepublic Legendary Member

100%
  20. Jo

Jo Administrator
    Master Penguin

100%