Olive oil brands - made in lebanon

Muki

Muki

Orange Room Supporter
What are your favorite Lebanese olive oil brands?

I normally use Italian product, but today I had some great olive oil made in Lebanon (in Koura) that looked and tasted like the olive oil I have tasted before in Lebanon, in Hasbaya circa 1998.

Feel free to recommend/discuss your favorite brands, and why.
Thumbs up if they are available outside Lebanon.

• Advertisement
  • Isabella

Isabella

The Queen Of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Hasbaya does have some good olive oil!

Badawee comes to mind commercially speaking, but my parents usually get it from some druze friends they had who make it themselves, best olive oil I ever tasted!

Jorje

Jorje

Legendary Member
    The best oil you can get your hands on in Lebanon is the one traditionally made, Hasbaya is a great place.

If you can only go with brands, I really like El Koura brand. It has a mild grassy flavor. It's great quality for value and it's pretty cheap. Much better than the crappy regular Italian/Spanish oils you find in supermarkets. it's also available in the states.

Last edited:
    Aoune32!

Aoune32!

ma3roufe the best olive oil is in the Koura region. It covers 25 percent of Lebanon’s agricultural land and 200,000 olive trees.

Jorje

Jorje

Legendary Member
    ma3roufe the best olive oil is in the Koura region. It covers 25 percent of Lebanon’s agricultural land and 200,000 olive trees.
    The best is Druze oil. Ma3roufe. Christians zayteton 3ekrin.

Last edited:
    CitizenOfTheRepublic

CitizenOfTheRepublic

Legendary Member
    What are your favorite Lebanese olive oil brands?

I normally use Italian product, but today I had some great olive oil made in Lebanon (in Koura) that looked and tasted like the olive oil I have tasted before in Lebanon, in Hasbaya circa 1998.

Feel free to recommend/discuss your favorite brands, and why.
    Thumbs up if they are available outside Lebanon.
    The one I buy in the US is saifan (s3ayfen) from koura. It’s consistently good and I find better than the other brand, but of course it’s a commercial brand so willl fall short of the baladi one can get from family/friends. If i am out of baladi and want to up my salad i go for Columela, it’s Spanish and very good but comes at a price.

Aoune32!

Aoune32!

The importance of Kouranian olive trees is that they offer an excellent quality of olive oil, extracted through the cold manner. This indicates that no heat was used to extract the oil from the olives. Adding heat to the olives allows producers to extract more oil from the olives, but simultaneously destroys the delicate flavors and aromas so prized in a good extra virgin olive oil. It should be noted that “cold pressed” means at a temperature not to exceed 80.6°F, not actually “cold.”

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

You guys are such olive oil snobs. They all taste more or less the same to me.

Muki

Muki

Orange Room Supporter
    Thank you for suggestions guys. I will look for those brands at my local Arab market.

I

illusion84

Southerner (Hasbaya/Marjeyoun region) hand picked olives then taken to the Ma3ssara... It is thick green with a small bitter and sharp after taste. It is great with labneh baladiyeh; Malsseh; Kibeh nayeh; and Foul.
    I don't use it for salad dressing though as I find it too powerful; you may use few months old oil for dressing; the bitterness would tune down with time.

I have tried other virgin homemade olive oil from other southern regions, it was too light to my taste.

I never tried Koura homemade olive oil; but when I'm outside lebanon I used to buy El Koura brand I believe; if not available I used to buy extra virgin Greek oil (I forgot the brand name).

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Southerner (Hasbaya/Marjeyoun region) hand picked olives then taken to the Ma3ssara... It is thick green with a small bitter and sharp after taste. It is great with labneh baladiyeh; Malsseh; Kibeh nayeh; and Foul.
    I don't use it for salad dressing though as I find it too powerful; you may use few months old oil for dressing; the bitterness would tune down with time.

I have tried other virgin homemade olive oil from other southern regions, it was too light to my taste.

I never tried Koura homemade olive oil; but when I'm outside lebanon I used to buy El Koura brand I believe; if not available I used to buy extra virgin Greek oil (I forgot the brand name).
    You sound like a foodie.
    How can I get my hands on some fine Hasbani olive oil? Are they readily available at supermarkets?

Le منشار

Le منشار

The importance of Kouranian olive trees is that they offer an excellent quality of olive oil, extracted through the cold manner. This indicates that no heat was used to extract the oil from the olives. Adding heat to the olives allows producers to extract more oil from the olives, but simultaneously destroys the delicate flavors and aromas so prized in a good extra virgin olive oil. It should be noted that “cold pressed” means at a temperature not to exceed 80.6°F, not actually “cold.”
    fakaret 3al 7ajjar. I think this is the best method. true once heat and capitalism is involved, nothing tastes as it's used to be.