• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

On this day in history...

kalel

kalel

Orange Room Supporter
January 17

1992 – During a visit to South Korea, Japanese Prime Minister Kiichi Miyazawa apologizes for forcing Korean women into sexual slavery during World War II.

1982 – "Cold Sunday": in numerous cities in the United States temperatures fall to their lowest levels in over 100 years.

1966 – A B-52 bomber collides with a KC-135 Stratotanker over Spain, dropping three 70-kiloton nuclear bombs near the town of Palomares and another one into the sea in the Palomares incident.

1946 – The UN Security Council holds its first session.

1917 – The United States pays Denmark $25 million for the Virgin Islands.

1912 – Captain Robert Falcon Scott reaches the South Pole, one month after Roald Amundsen.

1773 – Captain James Cook and his crew become the first Europeans to sail below the Antarctic Circle.

• Advertisement
  • kalel

kalel

Orange Room Supporter
    January 18

2012 – SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) and PIPA (Protect IP Act) is opposed online on internet by Blackout (2012 Wikipedia blackout)

2007 – The strongest storm in the United Kingdom in 17 years kills 14 people, Germany sees the worst storm since 1999 with 13 deaths. Hurricane Kyrill, causes at least 44 deaths across 20 countries in Western Europe.

2005 – The Airbus A380, the world's largest commercial jet, is unveiled at a ceremony in Toulouse, France

2002 – Sierra Leone Civil War is finally declared over.

2000 – The Tagish Lake meteorite impacts the Earth.

1997 – Boerge Ousland of Norway becomes the first person to cross Antarctica alone and unaided.

1994 – The Cando event, a possible bolide impact in Cando, Spain. Witnesses claim to have seen a fireball in the sky lasting for almost one minute.

1990 – Washington, D.C. Mayor Marion Barry is arrested for drug possession in an FBI sting.

1981 – Phil Smith and Phil Mayfield parachute off a Houston skyscraper, becoming the first two people to BASE jump from objects in all four categories: buildings, antennae, spans (bridges), and earth (cliffs).

1976 – Lebanese Christian militias overrun Karantina, Beirut, killing at least 1,000.

1944 – Soviet forces liberate Leningrad, effectively ending a three year Nazi siege, known as the Siege of Leningrad.

1919 – Bentley Motors Limited is founded.

1896 – An X-ray generating machine is exhibited for the first time by H.L. Smith.

1778 – James Cook is the first known European to discover the Hawaiian Islands, which he names the "Sandwich Islands." (In Fables known has Captain Hook)

kalel

kalel

Orange Room Supporter
    January 20

2009 – Barack Obama is inaugurated as the first black President of the United States.

2007 – A three-man team, using only skis and kites, completes a 1,093-mile (1,759 km) trek to reach the southern pole of inaccessibility for the first time since 1958 and for the first time ever without mechanical assistance.

1987 – Church of England envoy Terry Waite is kidnapped in Lebanon.

1959 – The first flight of the Vickers Vanguard.

1934 – Fujifilm, the photographic and electronics company, is founded in Tokyo, Japan.

1885 – L.A. Thompson patents the roller coaster.

1841 – Hong Kong Island is occupied by the British.

kalel

kalel

Orange Room Supporter
    January 20

2004 – NASA's MER-A (the Mars Rover Spirit) ceases communication with mission control. The problem lies in the management of its flash memory and is fixed remotely from Earth on February 6.

1976 – Commercial service of Concorde begins with the London-Bahrain and Paris-Rio routes.

1954 – The first nuclear-powered submarine, the USS Nautilus, is launched in Groton, Connecticut by Mamie Eisenhower, the First Lady of the United States.

1948 – The Flag of Quebec is adopted and flown for the first time over the National Assembly of Quebec. The day is marked annually as Quebec Flag Day.

1925 – Albania declares itself a republic.

1919 – Meeting of the First Dáil Éireann in the Mansion House Dublin. Sinn Féin adopts Ireland's first constitution. The first engagement of Irish War of Independence, Sologhead Beg, County Tipperary.

1911 – The first Monte Carlo Rally takes place.

1899 – Opel manufactures its first automobile.

1643 – Abel Tasman becomes the first European to reach Tonga.

kalel

kalel

Orange Room Supporter
    January 24

2003 – The United States Department of Homeland Security officially begins operation.

1986 – Voyager 2 passes within 81,500 kilometres (50,600 mi) of Uranus.

1984 – The first Apple Macintosh goes on sale.

1972 – Japanese Sgt. Shoichi Yokoi is found hiding in a Guam jungle, where he had been since the end of World War II.

1961 – 1961 Goldsboro B-52 crash: A bomber carrying two H-bombs breaks up in mid-air over North Carolina. The uranium core of one weapon remains lost.

1908 – The first Boy Scout troop is organized in England by Robert Baden-Powell.

1862 – Bucharest is proclaimed capital of Romania.

kalel

kalel

Orange Room Supporter
    January 27

1996 – Germany first observes International Holocaust Remembrance Day.

1983 – The pilot shaft of the Seikan Tunnel, the world's longest sub-aqueous tunnel (53.85 km) between the Japanese islands of Honshū and Hokkaidō, breaks through.

1980 – Through cooperation between the U.S. and Canadian governments, six American diplomats secretly escape hostilities in Iran in the culmination of the Canadian caper.

1967 – The United States, United Kingdom, and Soviet Union sign the Outer Space Treaty in Washington, D.C., banning deployment of nuclear weapons in space, and limiting use of the Moon and other celestial bodies to peaceful purposes.

1967 – Astronauts Gus Grissom, Edward White and Roger Chaffee are killed in a fire during a test of their Apollo 1 spacecraft at the Kennedy Space Center, Florida.

1951 – Nuclear testing at the Nevada Test Site begins with a one-kiloton bomb dropped on Frenchman Flat.

1944 – World War II: The 900-day Siege of Leningrad is lifted.

1939 – First flight of the Lockheed P-38 Lightning.

1868 – Boshin War: The Battle of Toba-Fushimi between forces of the Tokugawa shogunate and pro-Imperial factions begins, which will end in defeat for the shogunate, and is a pivotal point in the Meiji Restoration.

1606 – Gunpowder Plot: The trial of Guy Fawkes and other conspirators begins, ending with their execution on January 31.

1299 – Established Ottoman Empire

tsedek

tsedek

14 July 1944 - the singer Asmahan died.

Last edited by a moderator:
    kalel

kalel

Orange Room Supporter
    1939 - Albert Einstein and Leo Szilard write a letter to Franklin D. Roosvelt, urging him to begin the Manhattan Project to develop a nuclear bomb.

1934 - Gleichschaltung: Adolf Hitler becomes Fuhrer of Germany

1932 - The positron is discovered by Carl Anderson

1869 - Japan's samurai, farmer, artisan, merchant class system is abolished as part of the Meiji restoration reforms

1776 - The signing of the US declaration of independence took place

2013 - The Orange Room mobile application launches (my first mobile post)

EuroMode

EuroMode

April 11, 2013 On the Seventeenth Anniversary of the Qana Massacre

“We have lived through hell. The people were chopped into pieces by the Israeli bombs. They bleed, these people. You should have seen the heads. Do you know what the dogs did at night after the killings? They were hungry and I saw them in the ruins eating fingers and pieces of our people.”

On April 11 of 1996, Israel began a military campaign against Lebanon dubbed “Operation Grapes of Wrath”. The campaign lasted for 16 days, during which 170 Lebanese civilians were killed by indiscriminate Israeli shelling and aerial bombing. Of the 170 Lebanese civilians killed by Israel during Operation Grapes of Wrath, 106 were killed in one village alone. On April 18, Israel bombed a United Nations compound in the Southern Lebanese village of Qana. The compound was housing 800 Lebanese refugees; families who sought refuge in the compound believing Israel would not target a base of the United Nations. They were wrong. 106 civilians lost their lives that day, and another 120 were injured. This was not an accident. This was a deliberate attack against civilians, mostly women and children.

“Israel’s claims that it had no knowledge that hundreds of civilians were sheltered at the Qana base are simply not credible. The decision of those who planned the attack to choose a mix of high-explosive artillery shells that included deadly anti-personnel shells designed to maximize injuries on the ground, and the sustained firing of such shells, without warning, in close proximity to a large concentration of civilians, violated a key principle of international humanitarian law. The particular tragedy at Qana was that this incident was not unique in its general features. As this report indicates, the Israeli military on previous occasions had violated the laws of war by not taking precautions to spare Lebanese civilians from death and injury prior to launching attacks, and indeed by showing an appalling willingness to conduct military operations in which civilians would bear the brunt of the suffering.”

- From a 1997 Human Rights Watch report on Operation Grapes of Wrath

I was four years old in 1996. I was four years old, but the memory of that day stays with me, and I recall it vividly. I will never forget what I saw, or what I felt. I will never forget the scene that met me as I walked into the living room. I will never forget the expression on my father’s face. I will never forget seeing my mother cry for the first time. I will never forget looking at the television, my parents too dumbstruck to pull me away, to see grown men, soldiers, sobbing as they pulled what I first thought were dolls from under the rubble. I will never forget seeing a father, carrying the lifeless bodies of his children, beating his head and screaming at the sky as tears streamed down his face. I will never forget the scene from inside the compound; strewn bodies, most of them too small to be 10 years old. Qana had carved my politics into stone.

Qana was not an isolated incident. I am writing about Qana because today is the 17th anniversary of the Qana massacre, and Qana left a mark on me that would change me forever, but “Israel” has committed massacres since before its inception. Whether in Lebanon since the ’70s, or in Occupied Palestine beginning before the Nakba and till today, Israel’s massacres are many. Our generation, the one before it, and the one before that, each grew up with at least one Qana of its own.

After all this, it must be said that while Qana was devastating, it was not debilitating. After Qana, we didn’t withdraw to wallow in self-pity. We didn’t surrender and give up our arms. Our resistance fought and sacrificed and paid for our freedom in blood. We did not negotiate for, or concede, a centimeter of our land. Four years after Qana, the Zionist occupier left Lebanon under the blows of our resistance. We have earned the right to be proud to be Lebanese.

J

jchima14

Today In History - November 4th

A chronological timetable of historical events that occurred on this day in history. Historical facts of the day in the areas of military, politics, science, music, sports, arts, entertainment and more. Discover what happened today in history.

644 Umar of Arabia is assassinated at Medina and is succeeded as caliph by Uthman.

1493 Christopher Columbus discovers Guadeloupe during his second expedition.

1677 William III and Mary of England wed on William's birthday.

1760 Following the Russian capture of Berlin, Frederick II of Prussia defeats the Austrians at the Battle of Torgau.

1791 General Arthur St. Clair, governor of Northwest Territory, is badly defeated by a large Indian army near Fort Wayne.

1798 Congress agrees to pay a yearly tribute to Tripoli, considering it the only way to protect U.S. shipping.

1842 Abraham Lincoln marries Mary Todd in Springfield, Ill.

1854 Florence Nightingale and her nurses arrive in the Crimea.

1863 From the main Confederate Army at Chattanooga, Tennessee, Lt. Gen. James Longstreet's troops are sent northeast to besiege Knoxville.

1918 Austria signs an armistice with the Allies.

1922 The U.S. Postmaster General orders all homes to get mailboxes or relinquish delivery of mail.

1922 The entrance to King Tut's tomb is discovered.

1924 Calvin Coolidge is elected 30th president of the United States.

1924 Nellie Tayloe Ross and Miriam Ferguson are elected first and second women governors (Wyoming and Texas).

1946 The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) is established.

1952 General Dwight D. Eisenhower is elected 34th president of the United States.

Source: Today In History - November 4th - eReporter

TayyarBeino

TayyarBeino

Legendary Member
    في عيدها الـ79.. تبقى فيروز الأيقونة المتجددة والعالقة في ذاكرة الجمال

القسم : فنون - عربي

عاجل - بثينة البلخي
    21 نوفمبر ,2014

ربما تكون فيروز الأيقونة التي تجمع اللبنانيين ومعظم الشعوب العربية على اختلاف طرائقهم في التفكير ووجهات نظرهم واعتقاداتهم.. صوت شجي وإحساس نقي وحنجرة لا تنفك تعطر الأسماع بما لذ من كلام ولحن لملكة تطفئ اليوم شمعتها ال79، وهي لا تزال قادرة على بث الروح في أركان محبيها.
    فيروز من مواليد 21/ تشرين الثاني / 1935, واسمها الحقيقي "نهاد رزق وديع حداد"، وقد بدأت الغناء في عمر خمس سنوات، إذ اكتشف صوتها الملائكي، الموسيقي محمد فليفل كمغنية كورس 1940 في الإذاعة اللبنانية، وضمها إلى فريقه الذي كان ينشد الأغاني الوطنية.
    لسنين تالية، دخلت فيروز مرحلة من الألق، حين تمرس صوتها على بديع اللحن والجمل والموسيقية، بكل بساطتها وتعقيدها، ما جعلها محط اهتمام محبي الفن ومقدسيه، حيث ألف لها حليم الرومي والد الفنانة ماجدة الرومي العديد من الأغاني، وقدم لها الأخوان الرحباني المئات من الأغاني التي أحدثت ثورة في الموسيقى العربية.
    تميزت الأغاني التي أدتها فيروز بقصر المدة وقوة المعنى إضافة إلى البساطة وتنوع المواضيع، كما غنت السيدة للأم وللقضية الفلسطينية وللحزن والفرح وللوطن وللأطفال، ورنمت الترانيم وأنشدت الأناشيد الدينية بوقار وهيبة بثت في القلوب على اختلاف اعتقاد أصحابها جلالا وبهاء، ما كان لفنانة سواها أن تترك وقعا في النفوس لدى أدائه كما فعلت فيروز.
    آخر ألبومات فيروز كان في العام 2010 بعنوان /إيه في أمل/ والذي تعاونت فيه مع ابنها المبدع زياد الرحباني، فاستطاعت من خلاله أن تعيد لمحبيها روحا ونكهة جديدة من الغناء، أثبتت قدرة هذه الموهبة الاستثنائية على الاستمرار في العطاء والتجدد.
    وحتى اليوم بأغانيها القديمة والجديدة، لا تزال فيروز الأسطورة التي لا تتكرر، والتي لا يمكن مجاراتها أو الاقتراب من تفردها أبدا، فكثر من غنوا لها وحاولوا أن يقلدوها، لكن أحدا لم يعلق في الذاكرة كما فعلت جارة القمر.

nonsense

nonsense

Legendary Member
    September 8: International Precision Day

• Sometime Someone invents like counting or something.
    • 1, 2:05:32 PM: Counting is invented by a female human named Digits Counting, 1.745 meters tall, after 4 hours, 8 minutes and 16 seconds of thinking about the problem of shortening sales reports.
    • 70, 6:12:55 AM - 11:03:44 PM Roman legions under the command of Titus sack Jerusalem.
    • 1930 - 3M begins marketing Scotch transparent tape, which sells better than Scotch transparent crayon.
    • 1950: The world's first sit-on lawnmower goes on display in Paris. Rioting ensues.
    • 1962: Segregation is repealed.
    • 1986: Plurals Plural banned in the Netherland (formerly known as the Netherlands).
    • 1992: Woman finds baby in dumpster. Declares her a daughter.
    • 2000 - No one cares
    • 2001 - They still don't care
    • 2002 - Hey look!...nah, don't care
    • 2003 - People start to care after free booze is supplied to them via the Red Cross.
    (if you give a laugh, then I am forgiven)

Mighty Goat

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I came here and found out that history stopped on December 2, 2015.