Announcements Orange Room Elections update

Jo

Jo

Administrator
Master Penguin
Hello Guys,

In the past 2 weeks, the Orange Room was witnessing its yearly elections.

This year, we received very good participation with some members having a genuine aim towards making this second home for many, a better place and I really appreciated that.

However, with the increased activity and tension, some members felt threatened personally, others were excessively trolled and the overall mood on the forum became toxic with a lot of hate messages being posted.
The above lead to 3 candidates out of the final 6 withdrawing from the Elections.

The purpose of the election was for members to feel involved, empowered and to make sure the discussions are moderated independently of political affiliation.
But now, due to strong polarization and strong feelings among members, the democratic process took a hit and i feel that my personal involvement in the general moderation of the forum is necessary again.

That being said, this year, I will be choosing the 4 moderators myself - with the help of the Super Moderators. The 4 chosen moderators will need to be unbiased, have different political opinions and mature enough to accept the other side.
We will also push the new moderators in forcing the rules more, especially rules related to personal sugar-coated insults, trolling and hate speech.

This is not the outcome we were hoping for. We are hoping to go back to holding fair elections in the near future.

Thank you for the candidates who wanted to help and for the users/readers who still believe in this platform.
Joe

• Advertisement
  • JustLeb

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Hello Guys,

This year, we received very good participation with some members having a genuine aim towards making this second home for many, a better place and I really appreciated that.

However, with the increased activity and tension, some members felt threatened personally, others were excessively trolled and the overall mood on the forum became toxic with a lot of hate messages being posted.
    The above lead to 3 candidates out of the final 6 withdrawing from the Elections.

The purpose of the election was for members to feel involved, empowered and to make sure the discussions are moderated independently of political affiliation.
    But now, due to strong polarization and strong feelings among members, the democratic process took a hit and i feel that my personal involvement in the general moderation of the forum is necessary again.

That being said, this year, I will be choosing the 4 moderators myself - with the help of the Super Moderators. The 4 chosen moderators will need to be unbiased, have different political opinions and mature enough to accept the other side.
    We will also push the new moderators in forcing the rules more, especially rules related to personal sugar-coated insults, trolling and hate speech.

This is not the outcome we were hoping for. We are hoping to go back to holding fair elections in the near future.

Thank you for the candidates who wanted to help and for the users/readers who still believe in this platform.
    Joe
    Not a wise decision.
    Either you make new elections
    Or you confirm the actual results.
    Democracy is not a matter of opinion.
    My 5 cents

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    To be quite honest I don't think this is the result anyone wanted. You held an election you need to see it through, withdrawn candidates or not.

I understand things got too toxic, considering I suffered from the toxicity myself, but the laissez-faire approach you've had throughout this whole thing with the exception of locking the thread about 5 times when things reached a disgusting level has greatly contributed to the toxicity.

So I'm sorry but you guys also need to take some responsibility for your actions and by you guys I mean @Jo, @loubnaniTO, and @SeaAb. You're not our friends, you're who's in charge around here and you need to act like it!

AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    As I predicted, Apo and his gang did not like the election results so they withdrew collectively hoping that would lead to having the election results nullified.

I think this is quite unfair to the candidates who worked hard on their campaign or the people who took two weeks of their time to root for their favorite candidates.

It's unfortunate that JO fell for this game.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    As I predicted, Apo and his gang did not like the election results so they withdrew collectively hoping that would lead to having the election results nullified.

I think this is quite unfair to the candidates who worked hard on their campaign or the people who took two weeks of their time to root for their favorite candidates.

Read my post and spare me your garbage predictions!

!Aoune32

!Aoune32

read @Isabella post. very well said!

!Aoune32

!Aoune32

bro dont dislike the post. your both right. this is not what we wanted and it is not acceptable aslan. the top 4 go in as mods.

If elections are held in lebanon and an MP in Koura pulls out the whole election is stopped? akide la2.

if there is an election and people win and then the MP in Tripoli resigns what happens? we have a bi-election.

We had an election and the PEOPLE have spoken. There is no allocation that should happen.

Orangina

Orangina

Legendary Member
    From the day the forum began it was and is still called the ORANGE ROOM... People who lunched this forum were Tayyar and Tayyar supporters... Everyone was welcomed in this forum to speak his or her opinion.. despite if this person was with or against Tayyar.. but back in 2005 the discussions were decent.. full of respect without any personal attack to the person having a different opinion...
    But recently i cannot but agree with @Jo ...things are drifting... discussions are full of personal attacks... disrespect... and this is not what oroomers like or want... We are used to fruitful educated discussions.
    In my opinion administrators should be the one choosing the moderators and i think thy r wise enough to see who are the most objective ones.
    Good luck

!Aoune32

!Aoune32

From the day the forum began it was and is still called the ORANGE ROOM... People who lunched this forum were Tayyar and Tayyar supporters... Everyone was welcomed in this forum to speak his or her opinion.. despite if this person was with or against Tayyar.. but back in 2005 the discussions were decent.. full of respect without any personal attack to the person having a different opinion...
    But recently i cannot but agree with @Jo ...things are drifting... discussions are full of personal attacks... disrespect... and this is not what oroomers like or want... We are used to fruitful educated discussions.
    In my opinion administrators should be the one choosing the moderators and i think thy r wise enough to see who are the most objective ones.
    Good luck
    nope that isnt correct. this is not the PSP for people just to allocate a leader. we had elections and people (your one of them) have spoken. if the level of language has gone down it is the fault of the mods and those above them who took no action NOT the future mods who can try do a better job if a chance was given to them.

AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Hello Guys,

Joe
    Perhaps not the outcome YOU or some people wanted but with all due respect, this isn't about you @Jo. We, Oroomers, have chosen our next moderators. If 3 candidates decided to withdraw for personal reasons, that doesn't give you or them the right to sabotage the democratic process.

We spent two weeks campaigning and following the election thread, not to have our precious time and effort go to waste because some cry-babies decided to leave halfway through the elections.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Good luck
    No they should be enforcing the existing rules instead of trying to mediate between people. We all broke the rules in those threads and most of the time the mods were just watching until things reached disgusting levels.

Eza 3a shaklo shakleklo then I'm sorry but I don't trust their choices!

They held elections, people are voting, and have been voting for two weeks. Even if people decided to withdraw, withdrawals can be reversed once the situation is remedied. These candidates ran a campaign, granted there was an excessive amount of smearing and a low level discussion but it's the job of the existing moderators to moderate. If they cannot do that then why are we trusting them to make an appropriate choice?

!Aoune32

!Aoune32

People have spoken. the election is until the 3rd of Dec. it should be reopened and all posts removed. the rest of the people vote and the winners declared. then if someone wants to resign then bi elections for those seats.

NiceV

NiceV

I think the best way to resolve this is by picking at least some or most moderators from the candidates
    If there is no election
    Other than that the whole process will be tainted

!Aoune32

!Aoune32

I think the best way to resolve this is by picking at least some or most moderators from the candidates
    nope. we are all adults here. we want to be better than the parties in lebanon. we want the elections to continue. no allocations no CHOOSING. we want to vote.

JustLeb

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Good luck
    Not surprising
    Typical Bassili state of mind.
    Democracy is not about people you like, but about people expressing their will
    It might go out of control, but rules are here to keep all types of discussion/campaigning within the acceptable limits
    Whoever fails to stick to those rules his candidacy or memebrship of the forum should be suspended.
    This is the right way to tackle the issue, not by aborting the elections and appointing moderators à la Bassil

THIS IS SHAMEFUL

loubnaniTO

loubnaniTO

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    To be quite honest I don't think this is the result anyone wanted. You held an election you need to see it through, withdrawn candidates or not.

I understand things got too toxic, considering I suffered from the toxicity myself, but the laissez-faire approach you've had throughout this whole thing with the exception of locking the thread about 5 times when things reached a disgusting level has greatly contributed to the toxicity.

So I'm sorry but you guys also need to take some responsibility for your actions and by you guys I mean @Jo, @loubnaniTO, and @SeaAb. You're not our friends, you're who's in charge around here and you need to act like it!

thanks for the lecture on how we should act 😁. I will take it wholeheartedly. I hope you and everyone can appreciate that the blame falls on everyone and not on 3 staff members who do this as a part time volunteer work. No one was happy when we used the hammer, and no one was happy when we were more patient. I went back and read the threads and I can tell you, everyone was to blame.

That aside, this is definitely not the outcome anyone wanted. Not even jo or me or seaab.
    Even-though @Jo does not have the “obligation” to justify every decision he makes, I can tell you that this decision was not made lightly.
    We have spent the whole night deliberating and discussing options, none of which would’ve been the perfect option, and any of which would’ve been subject to criticism.
    The decision made above by Jo is not to say that we don’t believe in the democratic process, I hope no one missed the reference in Jo’s announcement that elections will be held soon.

all I can say at this point is that as you said the environment became too toxic, camps were formed and members and candidates became too polarized. I can’t see how mods can even work together. It’s good to see “reconciliation” threads being started, let’s hope it stays like that. In addition. With 3 candidates withdrawing, the whole process was compromised, and the only way to make it fair is to hold new elections, which we are hoping to do soon, and now by going down the list to the next candidates. I know it’s the easier solution, but it might not be fair because even from the round 1 candidates some were no longer interested. New elections would be the more fair outcome, but that will have to wait until tensions are lower.

once again, we didn’t expect everyone to be happy with the outcome, or any outcome, but we hope you can appreciate we are doing out best, within the means we have, to maintain a healthy platform for free and constructive debates.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Perhaps not the outcome YOU or some people wanted but with all due respect, this isn't about you @Jo. We, Oroomers, have chosen our next moderators. If 3 candidates decided to withdraw for personal reasons, that doesn't give you or them the right to sabotage the democratic process.

We spent two weeks campaigning and following the election thread, not to have our precious time and effort go to waste because some cry-babies decided to leave halfway through the elections.
    Get this through your head: I withdrew for personal reasons not because I want to sabotage the elections! No one does.

I want the elections to keep going with or without me. These are the candidates who ran and these are the candidates who should be elected! Ma fi!

You take your hands off and don't interfere with the exception of locking the thread for cooling off periods and then pretend like it's the fault of the members?? Of course we're gonna fight and pull each other's pigtails, this is a competition! Those threads needed active moderation and clear set rules not the trash we got!

It's not the admin and the super mods who deserve better, the members do!