Announcements Orange Room Elections update

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
even though i was not going to comment anymore, i feel compelled to address the highlighted part above.

Any hint to a hidden agenda or conspiracy theory behind the decision is not acceptable and totally unfounded. I was part of the discussions since last night with @Jo @SeaAb and @ORMOD... non stop discussions. All options were discussed at length, the pros and cons, and the final decision was unanimous, and i was part of it... and i will not accept any unfounded accusations. I do accept criticism and members disagreeing with the decision, that i expect, and accept.. it was NOT an easy decision.
That was not a hint to a conspiracy theory or a hidden agenda. Elections became more trouble than they are worth and that is why they got cancelled, imo of course. Still think they shouldn't have been but meh, not my battle anymore.

Anyway I do like you guys and think you're good people just not a fan of sugar coating my opinion. I think you place high importance on pleasing people and a lot less on actually maintaining a good atmosphere. I'm sure you also have your less than savory opinions about me lol.

With this I'm done for real. Hopefully when the dust settles on this little confrontation we can both move past it.

• Advertisement
  • Frisbeetarian

Frisbeetarian

Legendary Member
    I understand things got too toxic, considering I suffered from the toxicity myself, but the laissez-faire approach you've had throughout this whole thing with the exception of locking the thread about 5 times when things reached a disgusting level has greatly contributed to the toxicity.
    Right on point. They cultivated this culture purely to get more views and more money from paying members, regardless of what these members posted of which rules they violated. Now that it has come to bite them in the ass, they try to bullshit their way into a 'solution' under the guise of caring about civility on the forum. @Jo 3ayeshna shway b helmak. How about instead of canceling elections you'd actually enforce the rules of this forum? How about the actual administration team and the owners of this forum make sure that elected mods are enforcing rules? Ma32oul walla 2ektirah ktir utopian w radical?

Last edited:
    Leb_Rebel

Leb_Rebel

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    That was not a hint to a conspiracy theory or a hidden agenda. Elections became more trouble than they are worth and that is why they got cancelled, imo of course. Still think they shouldn't have been but meh, not my battle anymore.

Anyway I do like you guys and think you're good people just not a fan of sugar coating my opinion. I think you place high importance on pleasing people and a lot less on actually maintaining a good atmosphere. I'm sure you also have your less than savory opinions about me lol.

With this I'm done for real. Hopefully when the dust settles on this little confrontation we can both move past it.
    Your messages make you sound ungrateful.

As someone mentioned, elections are a privilege but I will add it's also a way for the forum-ers to help managing this platform we all consume AND for some lucky users to understand how its really like to be a moderator and how difficult it can be.

When you say elections got cancelled because they were more trouble, thats because the candidates acted in the worst way possible for someone who wants the power to moderate, warn, ban other users.

Most of you showed you were not ready for such a task by stooping to level of discussion that included trolling and personal attacks.y

In real life, the perception people have of you is as important, if not more, than the way you perceive yourself.

A wise man once said : With great power comes great responsibility; And in this elections the perception was that most of candidates were not ready for this responsibility.

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    Right on point. They cultivated this culture purely to get more views and more money from paying members, regardless of what these members posted of which rules they violated. Now that it has come to bite them in the ass, they try to bullshit their way into a 'solution' under the guise of caring about civility on the forum. @Jo 3ayeshna shway b helmak. How about instead of canceling elections you'd actually enforce the rules of this forum? How about the actual administration team and the owners of this forum make sure that elected mods are enforcing rules? Ma32oul walla 2ektirah ktir utopian w radical?
    Nah. We just pray that members act like adults and take responsibility for their tone and language. Especially know it all members who think that I use the forum as a money milking machine.

Frisbeetarian

Frisbeetarian

Legendary Member
    @Jo Here's a suggestion of how this might play out. If ,per chance, a member(paying or not) starts inundating threads with bigoted, racist and anti muslim language and narrative, the moderation team steps in to clean the posts and warn said user. If user's behavior persists the mods enforce a time limited ban. Should the behavior continue post ban the member is then banned permanently. If mods fail to do their duties, then the administration steps in to enforce the procedure above and warn relevant moderator. Should moderator persist in lax fulfillment of duties, a bi-election is then called to pick another moderator in place of the one sacked.

Leb_Rebel

Leb_Rebel

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    @Jo Here's a suggestion of how this might play out. If ,per chance, a member(paying or not) starts inundating threads with bigoted, racist and anti muslim language and narrative, the moderation team steps in to clean the posts and warn said user. If user's behavior persists the mods enforce a time limited ban. Should the behavior continue post ban the member is then banned permanently. If mods fail to do their duties, then the administration steps in to enforce the procedure above and warn relevant moderator. Should moderator persist in lax fulfillment of duties, a bi-election is then called to pick another moderator in place of the one sacked.
    Not only are you off-topic and your post can be deleted. It's also ridiculously complicated and probably you're someone with a lot of ideas about everything but probably never implemented any of said ideas.

Jo rightly said members need to just act responsibly and like adults

Frisbeetarian

Frisbeetarian

Legendary Member
    Nah. We just pray that members act like adults and take responsibility for their tone and language. Especially know it all members who think that I use the forum as a money milking machine.
    No one's presupposing that you're making fortunes off the site or let alone any profit. I understand that there are costs associated and that need to fulfilled if the site is to remain online. The issue here is how you've chosen to keep this site running, and that's by extreme lax enforcement of your own rules in order to keep activity on the site and placate the few paying members that you have. You should be honest and pragmatic in your next steps; either remove the rules that are not being enforced and maintain the position of this forum as an area where all manner of speech is allowed. Or actually enforce *your own rules* to create the necessary environment for this community to grow in a way that doesn't lead you to cancel *your own* elections.

AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    moderators are volunteering their time to keep the forum clean, respectful and an ongoing platform for thoughtful dialog.

This elections idea is a great move by the owner(s) of the forum, as gets people engaged and is usually fun.

But make no mistake about it, it is not a democratic process, I.e. no one on the forum has “a right” to chose who moderates the forum. Members are given a privilege, and that privilege can be taken away.

Simple really wou ma badda hal2ad.
    I partially agree. Most forums do choose their own moderators. But what makes Oroom special is that it's a political forum, frequented by users with different political views. You don't need elections on a forum that offers make-up tips.

Admins have the right to suspend democracy and appoint their own moderators, but not after users have committed their time and effort to the process.

Respect the people's will now. Change rules later.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Your messages make you sound ungrateful.
    Not ungrateful, just pissed off.

As someone mentioned, elections are a privilege but I will add it's also a way for the forum-ers to help managing this platform we all consume AND for some lucky users to understand how its really like to be a moderator and how difficult it can be.
    while I understand the difficulty quite well considering I failed at it, and the fact that these elections are a privilege is not missed on me, this was a task that was undertaken, and it should have been completed.

When you say elections got cancelled because they were more trouble, thats because the candidates acted in the worst way possible for someone who wants the power to moderate, warn, ban other users.
    We're not strangers here, we all know what happens during elections, it's basically attack after attack after attack. This time around though the toxicity was on an entirely different level because it was allowed to reach that point. It's the job of the existing moderators to keep a watchful eye and maintain a certain level of discussion, of course members are to blame as well myself included, but I'm also placing blame on the laissez-faire approach and the quite relaxed moderation until things were allowed to reach a point of no return and the thread was locked.

Most of you showed you were not ready for such a task by stooping to level of discussion that included trolling and personal attacks.y
    Neither did the super mods who did not apply forum rules and allowed the thread to go unmoderated for prolonged periods of time. If the candidates showed a lack of preparedness what's the excuse for those who should know better?

In real life, the perception people have of you is as important, if not more, than the way you perceive yourself.
    what does this have to do with anything?

A wise man once said : With great power comes great responsibility; And in this elections the perception was that most of candidates were not ready for this responsibility.
    Same applies to the super mods.

Frisbeetarian

Frisbeetarian

Legendary Member
    Not only are you off-topic and your post can be deleted. It's also ridiculously complicated and probably you're someone with a lot of ideas about everything but probably never implemented any of said ideas.

Jo rightly said members need to just act responsibly and like adults
    I wouldn't expect you to own up to the culture you cultivated on this forum. But to blame the users themselves for the situation is quite obscene. Ste7o shway.

NiceV

NiceV

So since choosing moderate is the choice
    - new dates for elections established
    - candidates should reflect diversity and elections results

Frisbeetarian

Frisbeetarian

Legendary Member
    while I understand the difficulty quite well considering I failed at it, and the fact that these elections are a privilege is not missed on me, this was a task that was undertaken, and it should have been completed.
    Elections are certainly not a privilege. If it weren't for elected moderators the administration of this forum would have had to handle moderation on its own or hire people to do the moderation.

Either way it doesn't matter since moderation or not malhay2a fer2a ma3on.

Jorje

Jorje

Legendary Member
    Responsibility is both ways. Yes, maybe the administration was a little too lax, but also a lot of the users did not act like responsible adults and behaved like literal gangs, making elections almost impossible. Coordinated smearing campaigns, character assassonation, direct/indirect threats...etc Let
    them reap what they sow. I believe this is the right decision; democracy only works within rules. I also think changes are in order to prevent this from happening again.

Last edited:
    NiceV

NiceV

Responsibility is both ways. Yes, maybe the administration was a little too lax, but also a lot of the users did not act like responsible adults and behaved like literal gangs, making elections almost impossible. Coordinated smearing campaigns, character assassonation, direct/indirect threats...etc Let
    them reap what they sow. I believe this is the right decision; democracy only works within rules. I also think changes are in order to prevent this from happening again.
    Coming from a supposed Liberal
    🙃🙃🙃🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😆

Jorje

Jorje

Legendary Member
    Coming from a supposed Liberal
    🙃🙃🙃🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😆
    And Ladies & Gents, this is a prime example of what is wrong with the forum.

The above specimen and his ilk led to the cancellation of the elections. This user btw once said that I should be raped and tortured in Gunantanmo, yet here he is, with persisting toxicity and trolling. This is where the administration should act in a responsible way.

Frisbeetarian

Frisbeetarian

Legendary Member
    And Ladies & Gents, this is a prime example of what is wrong with the forum.

The above specimen and his ilk led to the cancellation of the elections. This user btw once said that I should be raped and tortured in Gunantanmo, yet here he is, with persisting toxicity and trolling. This is where the administration should act in a responsible way.
    His posts are like a visual representation of his mental processes running in a random but sequential way. Quite interesting and bizarre. It's like he's talking to him/herself most of the time.

Walidos

Walidos

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    So since choosing moderate is the choice
    - new dates for elections established
    - candidates should reflect diversity and elections results
    Let the guys choose whoever has time, can do it and apply the rules fairly. It doesn’t matter what political affiliation they have.
    And let’s please not start bagging about elections dates. It happens when it happens, what’s more important is to go back to a platform we enjoy.

Resign

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
    His posts are like a visual representation of his mental processes running in a random but sequential way. Quite interesting and bizarre. It's like he's talking to him/herself most of the time.
    No need for that language
    The guy gave you a comment that criticizes your postion from a political perspective
    No need for the personal insults
    See that's exactly what we suffer from on this forum
    Personal attacks against our political stances

A bit of self control please
    Because this constant baiting will make people to reply to you in the same manner
    Thus contradicting everything you 2 just said in your last posts.

NiceV

NiceV

Let the guys choose whoever has time, can do it and apply the rules fairly. It doesn’t matter what political affiliation they have.
    And let’s please not start bagging about elections dates. It happens when it happens, what’s more important is to go back to a platform we enjoy.
    60 members voted or where on the point of voting 🗳 for Crusaders candidates in round 2 from 50 in Round 1
    If these votes are not taken into account
    A lot of members are telling me they are freezing or closing their accounts
    Already election canceled
    I m a peacemaker but there should be a minimum fairness here
    Wa khaye a little understanding