• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

ORoom Mafia #2: ORville - A Christmas Story!

The Bidenator

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Showdown

In one final Christmas showdown, the citizens of our little town of ORville decided they've had enough.

Christmas will be celebrated this year, and it will be on our terms.

After careful deliberation, the citizens decided it was mike89 who is guilty of crimes against ORville, and sent him to the gallows. He was Evil Robot Santa (Role Cop).

GAME OVER. The Town wins!

POST-GAME WRITEUP

MVP: @IsaBells

Thank you all for playing! I hope you had fun (I know I did, reading the game). 17 pages for day 1 was quite impressive. Usually it's just shitposting, pointing fingers, and randomly lynching someone. In this game, it pretty much laid out the town strategy for the next few phases. The mafia fared well after day 1 was over, but it went downhill after that.

These were the roles I used for this game:

Mafia:
@mike89 - Role Cop (Investigates players to determine their roles)
@Dr. Eggnog - 1-Shot Roleblocker (Blocks players from using their actions)

Town:
@IsaBells - 1-Shot Sane Cop (Investigations are accurate)
@Mistletos - 1-Shot Tracker (Tracks player to the target they visit at night)
@XMyso - 1-Shot Vigilante Miller (Kills one player, investigates guilty/naughty to cops). This was included to balance against Cop and ensure that town cannot win on basis of night results alone.
@The End - Depressed Citizen (Speak in pessimistic tone during the day).
@SeaAb - Jolly Citizen (Speak in optimistic tone during the day).

On D1, The End was spot on with his reads, which I thought was funny since he almost got lynched. At one point he named the entire scum team. He hinted towards the "tone" of his posts multiple times, but it wasn't as easy to pick up as SeaAb's. Isabella did a good job noticing the different tones and pointing it out. I didn't want to give The End/SeaAb plain vanilla roles, so I thought why not add this.

On night 1, the mafia and XMyso both chose to kill The End. Isabella investigated Dr. Eggnog. Mistletos tracked XMyso to The End. Mike investigated Isabella and discovered she's the cop. The mafia missed a golden chance pushing to lynch XMyso on the basis of Mistletos result tracking XMyso to The End (though, to XMyso's credit, he claimed his role and result before Mistletos gave his results, which would have constituted a solid defense). I would have pushed aggressively against XMyso though, as not doing so cost the mafia the game. It's hard to argue against a guilty result in a small game, but giving town another target to go after is a start. Isabella's guilty investigation against Dr. Eggnog earned her the MVP of this game, as without it the game could've gone in a completely different direction.

The other phases were pretty much process of elimination.

What I thought went wrong for the mafia team: I didn't see much deliberation and strategizing among themselves (scratch that if you were discussing privately in a different PM thread). As a rule of thumb, communication is crucial for a mafia victory. Scum teams that do not utilize this advantage end up losing more often than not. Also, the fact that they targeted the same player as XMyso ended up hurting them. Either way, I thought The End was a bad choice to kill. Should've killed XMyso (and tried to frame The End), or went for someone who didn't have much to do with day 1 discussion, like Mistletos, to throw town off.

Once again, thank you all for playing. Make sure to sign up for next game, being hosted by @XMyso:

The Bidenator

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
The theme, if it's not obvious, was different characters picked out from Christmas-themed movies.
My writeups were written from XMyso's perspective.

Remaining characters (who haven't flipped):
XMyso - Ralphie
Mistletos - Jack Skellington

Dr. Strangelove

Nuclear War Expert
Staff member
Showdown

In one final Christmas showdown, the citizens of our little town of ORville decided they've had enough.

Christmas will be celebrated this year, and it will be on our terms.

After careful deliberation, the citizens decided it was mike89 who is guilty of crimes against ORville, and sent him to the gallows. He was Evil Robot Santa (Role Cop).

GAME OVER. The Town wins!

POST-GAME WRITEUP

MVP: @IsaBells

Thank you all for playing! I hope you had fun (I know I did, reading the game). 17 pages for day 1 was quite impressive. Usually it's just shitposting, pointing fingers, and randomly lynching someone. In this game, it pretty much laid out the town strategy for the next few phases. The mafia fared well after day 1 was over, but it went downhill after that.

These were the roles I used for this game:

Mafia:
@mike89 - Role Cop (Investigates players to determine their roles)
@Dr. Eggnog - 1-Shot Roleblocker (Blocks players from using their actions)

Town:
@IsaBells - 1-Shot Sane Cop (Investigations are accurate)
@Mistletos - 1-Shot Tracker (Tracks player to the target they visit at night)
@XMyso - 1-Shot Vigilante Miller (Kills one player, investigates guilty/naughty to cops). This was included to balance against Cop and ensure that town cannot win on basis of night results alone.
@The End - Depressed Citizen (Speak in pessimistic tone during the day).
@SeaAb - Jolly Citizen (Speak in optimistic tone during the day).

On D1, The End was spot on with his reads, which I thought was funny since he almost got lynched. At one point he named the entire scum team. He hinted towards the "tone" of his posts multiple times, but it wasn't as easy to pick up as SeaAb's. Isabella did a good job noticing the different tones and pointing it out. I didn't want to give The End/SeaAb plain vanilla roles, so I thought why not add this.

On night 1, the mafia and XMyso both chose to kill The End. Isabella investigated Dr. Eggnog. Mistletos tracked XMyso to The End. Mike investigated Isabella and discovered she's the cop. The mafia missed a golden chance pushing to lynch XMyso on the basis of Mistletos result tracking XMyso to The End (though, to XMyso's credit, he claimed his role and result before Mistletos gave his results, which would have constituted a solid defense). I would have pushed aggressively against XMyso though, as not doing so cost the mafia the game. It's hard to argue against a guilty result in a small game, but giving town another target to go after is a start. Isabella's guilty investigation against Dr. Eggnog earned her the MVP of this game, as without it the game could've gone in a completely different direction.

The other phases were pretty much process of elimination.

What I thought went wrong for the mafia team: I didn't see much deliberation and strategizing among themselves (scratch that if you were discussing privately in a different PM thread). As a rule of thumb, communication is crucial for a mafia victory. Scum teams that do not utilize this advantage end up losing more often than not. Also, the fact that they targeted the same player as XMyso ended up hurting them. Either way, I thought The End was a bad choice to kill. Should've killed XMyso (and tried to frame The End), or went for someone who didn't have much to do with day 1 discussion, like Mistletos, to throw town off.

Once again, thank you all for playing. Make sure to sign up for next game, being hosted by @XMyso:

We were communicating constantly, but on another PM thread. To @mike89's credit, he wanted us to kill @XMyso that night, but I talked him into killing @The End (I erroneously believed he would be easier to frame, as The End was almost lynched during DP1 yet managed to turn things around). Mike also suggested I use my roleblocker, but I thought it would be wiser to keep it in case something went south (another mistake on my part). Turns out the town used their roles perfectly, and blocking anyone would've given us a fighting chance. Sorry Mike!

What I didn't understand was Myso's talk of our kill failing, and about some "protector". That and the fact that we both had to learn what "soft claiming" was mid-game cost us as well. We were even preparing fake characters and roles we were going to declare if it got to it, but we were unsure of how that would look to someone more familiar with the game.

Honestly though, this was a lot of fun. It felt bad seeing @SeaAb lynched. Good game, guys!

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
We were communicating constantly, but on another PM thread. To @mike89's credit, he wanted us to kill @XMyso that night, but I talked him into killing @The End (I erroneously believed he would be easier to frame, as The End was almost lynched during DP1 yet managed to turn things around). Mike also suggested I use my roleblocker, but I thought it would be wiser to keep it in case something went south (another mistake on my part). Turns out the town used their roles perfectly, and blocking anyone would've given us a fighting chance. Sorry Mike!

What I didn't understand was Myso's talk of our kill failing, and about some "protector". That and the fact that we both had to learn what "soft claiming" was mid-game cost us as well. We were even preparing fake characters and roles we were going to declare if it got to it, but we were unsure of how that would look to someone more familiar with the game.

Honestly though, this was a lot of fun. It felt bad seeing @SeaAb lynched. Good game, guys!

I thought @mike89 was the town protector and he used his role to protect himself at night while the Mafia tried to target him since myso targeted @The End... To be honest I suspected myso being mafia long before I suspected either you or Mike, you guys played a good game despite some mistakes in night roles and I lucked out suspecting you :p

The Bidenator

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter

I take what I said back, then. Though it's a good idea to keep it in the back of your mind for future games.

Myso was talking about your kill failing because he didn't know that you guys targeted The End, too. He thought it was just him since there was only one kill. The 'protector' part is him hypothesizing as to why that is.

There's multiple kinds of 'claiming' in this game:
Role claiming - claiming your role
Character claiming - claiming your character
Soft/partial claiming - giving hints about your role/character
Fake claiming - claiming something other than your given role and character