• Hello Guest

Please bear with us! The Orange Room is being restructured.

Opinion Praying - Is it a waste of time?

Do you believe your God grants wishes through prayer and intervenes in our daily lives?

• Yes. God listens and acts.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • No. He listens to our prayers but never intervenes in our world.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • There is no God.

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters

SeaAb

Staff member
Super Penguin
Alright. So, you guys probably know by now that i despise the concept of praying. Not only because i don't believe there's anyone listening to our prayers but also because it seems like an insult to their God. Let me explain. If one actually believes that his God was gracious enough to grant him a wish and intervene to save his baby from cancer then that must also means that this God has a hand in all the other cancer patients' suffering and meaningless children deaths he inexplicable decided to ignore.

Take a moment and think about how many innocent children are being sexually harassed and raped at this right moment. Would you personally ignore the cries of a child being molested if you heard those cries? What does it actually say about your God when you believe he regularly intervenes in our daily lives but doesn't lift a finger to save those poor children?

I don't think i need to go on. It's quite simple, for the believers out there:

Your God is either complicit in all the horrible things happening every single day and therefore is an EVIL God that does not deserve to be worshiped.

OR

Your God is a mere spectator that does not intervene in our world. He does not help you ace an exam. He does not cure your child's illness..etc.
And therefore, praying to him and asking for worldly desires must be a waste of time.

Note: Take a moment a pray for me - i can feel the believers on the forum coming after me! :)

• Advertisement
  • JB81

Legendary Member
    If correct, in the Christian beliefs, there is a freewill. God created Angels and the people free. We are not enslaved to Him, and He also allowed us to rebel against His Will, and chose evil ways rather than good. Satan and all his disciples are in full force inflicting evil on earth, it is thru prayers that we ask God to intervene. Than, it is according to His Will to intervene.

Our Father, who art in heaven,
    hallowed be thy Name,
    thy kingdom come,
    thy will be done,
    on earth as it is in heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.
    And forgive us our trespasses,
    as we forgive those
    who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation,
    but deliver us from evil.

For thine is the kingdom,
    and the power, and the glory,
    for ever and ever. Amen.

I mean it is a full system of belief... you can't say why God allows injustice on earth when you believe He will redeem and judge every person later when we die each according to faith and deeds; reward the good and cast in fire the bad ones.

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    I think praying makes people believe that they can achieve anything, give them the strength to face their fears and beat their pain.

I have seen many terminally ill patients face their illness and pain with mere prayers and managed to stay happy and hopefull through the entire ordeal.
    I have seen many people try the impossible and sometimes succeed in it after praying.

In general, I think praying makes people stronger, happier and hopeful and this alone is worth it.

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    Alright. So, you guys probably know by now that i despise the concept of praying. Not only because i don't believe there's anyone listening to our prayers but also because it seems like an insult to their God. Let me explain. If one actually believes that his God was gracious enough to grant him a wish and intervene to save his baby from cancer then that must also means that this God has a hand in all the other cancer patients' suffering and meaningless children deaths he inexplicable decided to ignore.

Take a moment and think about how many innocent children are being sexually harassed and raped at this right moment. Would you personally ignore the cries of a child being molested if you heard those cries? What does it actually say about your God when you believe he regularly intervenes in our daily lives but doesn't lift a finger to save those poor children?

I don't think i need to go on. It's quite simple, for the believers out there:

Your God is either complicit in all the horrible things happening every single day and therefore is an EVIL God that does not deserve to be worshiped.

OR

Your God is a mere spectator that does not intervene in our world. He does not help you ace an exam. He does not cure your child's illness..etc.
    And therefore, praying to him and asking for worldly desires must be a waste of time.

Note: Take a moment a pray for me - i can feel the believers on the forum coming after me! :)
    Anything that can unlock more of the power of the human brain, is worth it, including prayer. To benefit from prayer in my opinion, you have to be a believer and you have to pray yourself, not on behalf of someone else.

Skunk

Orange Room Supporter
    While personally i am a no religious, non believer infidel that cannot remember the last time he has been to mass,

I think praying gives hope for the people(believers) that does it,
    A little bit of comfort,
    It does have positive effects, especially in third world countries where hope is almost non existent in the real world.

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    @SeaAb

I can only speak for Catholics. We do not pray for God to grant us our wishes. This is not genie in a bottle. We do not pray for God to change our circumstances, either. We pray for God to give us his grace so that we change (i.e. become more holy), in order to accept our reality and deal with our difficulties in a dignified manner. We believe that God's wisdom supasses our own; and, no matter how dark or painful our situation may seem in the moment, there is a higher pupose behind it. A baby will cry when you poke him with a needle; but, as a parent, you know you are doing the right thing by vaccinating him, even if he doesn't understand it.

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Also, @SeaAb , our God is a God of love who wants to have a relationship with us. He might already know what we think and feel, but praying to Him means we also value a relationship with Him.

It's like you with your friends, family members, or significant other. You love them and you know they love you, but if they never call or spend time with you, there's not much of a relationship there.

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I think when one thinks of prayer one should distinguish between meditation as a spiritual connection on the one hand and prayer as a religious ritual on the other hand.

The religious rituals which do not necessarily incorporate meditation in some religions like Islam, Judaism, and Christianity may lead one to reach conclusions like this presented by @SeaAb.

But what @Jo suggests is a meditation process that is focused on the power of achievement and the process of achieving, which is elevating the human mind into a realm of silence, and faith in positive outcomes, that may be associated with the belief in a form of devin power regardless to its name.

Religious rituals call for praying to a divine entity and ask for what one is shopping for and then wait to be accepted or rejected, like Abel and Cain kind of story.

Meditation on the other hand incorporates a belief in possibilities and requires a form of fous that is trusting that things can only work positively if visualized and believed that they will actually work on their own. One here is not concerned with negative outcomes, because obstacles are seen as a part of a process the outcome of which can only be positive.

SeaAb

Staff member
    Super Penguin
    Sub7an Allah! Serto kelkon meditators?

No one has ever heard of people praying for their loved ones? Ma sem3een bil ndoora that people make @ religious shrines to have their loved ones cured?

@Dark Angel 7keelak kelme. :)

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    @SeaAb
    in case my info is of interest for you :p
    I pray everyday before going to bed and taught my children to do so.
    I don't ask for anything, because I don't think God is social service agent

Nasser

Staff member
    To determine if praying is useful or useless, from believers point of view, do you believers believe that God already has a plan in place for every single one of us?
    In the case of a plan already being in place for every single one, praying would be useless... God already has a plan and script that we're all following... and praying to change something would only give false hope, given that God has a holy plan and it is not gonna change.
    In the case of a no plan from God's side, as mentioned by @SeaAb , that would raise a lot questions regarding how 'good' is this God if he listens to someone's prayers while turning a blind eye towards the suffering of millions upon millions of helpless children for example.

Normally people pray, if something improves then God has listened, however, if nothing changed then it is God's plan... and who are we to question God's plan? you know.. the win/win situation for God.

While praying does indeed give emotional comfort for believers, that does not provide any single weight of truth that praying is effective... and I care about what's true... and praying is not.

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    Also, @SeaAb , our God is a God of love who wants to have a relationship with us. He might already know what we think and feel, but praying to Him means we also value a relationship with Him.

It's like you with your friends, family members, or significant other. You love them and you know they love you, but if they never call or spend time with you, there's not much of a relationship there.
    He wants to have a relationship with us? Listen to yourself for a second.

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    the real waste of time would be to explain anything at all to those who are already determined not to understand. it would be quite easier to explain colors to a blind who is genuinely seeking to know. but what is there to explain when you "despise the concept of praying"? not to mention that you have chosen to "despise" it before understanding it.

you guys have access to computers, to the internet, and to an immense and vast pool of knowledge the like of which mankind has never experienced before, it suffices to say that the cumulative knowledge of mankind is literally at your finger tips, yet the faculties you need to process all this knowledge are crippled beyond imagination, in other words my great grandmother had much more understanding of life and the human condition than all of you guys combined. i am quite sorry for having to formulate it this way, but this is the truth, and it goes without saying this is one truth you will not like.

i honestly wonder where this world is going to, you despise praying, and you glorify every obscene abomination, and then you come back to wonder what is wrong with the world and why is it turning out the way it is.

there is nothing much to say really.

Last edited:

Skunk

Orange Room Supporter
    you guys have access to computers, to the internet, and to an immense and vast pool of knowledge the like of which mankind has never experienced before, it suffices to say that the cumulative knowledge of mankind is literally at your finger tips, yet the faculties you need to process all this knowledge are crippled beyond imagination, in other words my great grandmother had much more understand of life and the human condition than all of you guys combined. i am quite sorry for having to formulate it this way, but this is the truth, and it goes without saying this is one truth you will not like.
    But the cumulative knowledge we gathered so far suggests that God does not exist

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    the real waste of time would be to explain anything at all to those who are already determined not to understanding. it would be quite easier to explain colors to the blind with the desire for understanding. but what is there to explain when you "despise the concept of praying"? not to mention that you have chosen to "despise" it before understanding it.

you guys have access to computers, to the internet, and to an immense and vast pool of knowledge the like of which mankind has never experienced before, it suffices to say that the cumulative knowledge of mankind is literally at your finger tips, yet the faculties you need to process all this knowledge are crippled beyond imagination, in other words my great grandmother had much more understanding of life and the human condition than all of you guys combined. i am quite sorry for having to formulate it this way, but this is the truth, and it goes without saying this is one truth you will not like.

i honestly wonder where this world is going to, you despise praying, and you glorify every obscene abomination, and then you come back to wonder what is wrong with the world and why is it turning out the way it is.

I repeat, putting Bassil aside we should be BFFs :D
    Give it another thought, you will find it perfect fit :p

the real waste of time would be to explain anything at all to those who are already determined not to understand. it would be quite easier to explain colors to a blind who is genuinely seeking to know. but what is there to explain when you "despise the concept of praying"? not to mention that you have chosen to "despise" it before understanding it.

The modern ethnic european is without a doubt the most naive and castrated human being to ever walk the face of the earth. There's nothing middle class and rich europeans or white people wouldn't do to make themselves feel open minded and modern. The parents of the child are the real problem. For this sorcery to work, you need a hollow father figure in the house. This is where it all starts.

Nasser

Staff member
    This is not called a truth, this is called your opinion. A badly misinformed opinion nonetheless.