• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Question About Lebanese and Israeli-Arabs/Israeli-Palestinians

Jeremy Samuel

I had a social question here for the Lebanese on this forum:

When you have been outside of Lebanon or online and met Israeli-Arabs/Israeli-Palestinians, what have your interactions been like?

If you met an Israeli-Arab/Israeli-Palestinian who was not anti-Israel, would you consider him or her a traitor?

Do you think that Lebanon should take steps to mitigate its boycott of Israel as far as Israeli-Arabs/Israeli-Palestinians are concerned, like allow them to visit Lebanon or de-criminalize conversations with them?

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
I know a Moroccan Jew who was born and raised in France, I always dread our interactions but not because of the Lebanon-israel conflict oddly enough. He's very pro Israel even visited twice and tried to convince me it's worth a visit :p. No I don't consider him a traitor since his country of origin was never at an all out war with Israel and neither were they negatively impacted by it. If anything, his parents must have had it rough in Morocco after the creation of Israel, so their position is very understandable. But I've never interacted with an all out Israeli-Arab, like lives in Israel and everything, no.

Regarding your last question: I think Lebanon should mitigate its policy as far as people who have visited Israel first.

Jeremy Samuel

I know a Moroccan Jew who was born and raised in France, I always dread our interactions but not because of the Lebanon-israel conflict oddly enough. He's very pro Israel even visited twice and tried to convince me it's worth a visit :p. No I don't consider him a traitor since his country of origin was never at an all out war with Israel and neither were they negatively impacted by it. If anything, his parents must have had it rough in Morocco after the creation of Israel, so their position is very understandable. But I've never interacted with an all out Israeli-Arab, like lives in Israel and everything, no.

Regarding your last question: I think Lebanon should mitigate its policy as far as people who have visited Israel first.

I'm not Lebanese, but I would think it would be beneficial to Lebanon to allow third-country people to visit who have previously visited Israel. Although the real effects on tourism of the prohibition are unknowable, the Lebanese prohibition probably deters as many people from visiting Lebanon as it deters from visiting Israel. On the tripadvisor.com forum for Lebanon people constantly ask "Can I visit Lebanon after a visit to Israel?" so the number of people who have visited Israel who are interested in Lebanon too isn't zero.

I realize that this is a very distant dream, but I think that if Lebanon allowed entry to people who have been to Israel and Israel didn't overly-scrutinize visitors who have previously been to Lebanon (their entry is not prohibited), a cruise industry in the Eastern Mediterranean could develop and the ferry industry could grow.

I also think it is not right that someone who is a Palestinian might be prohibited from entering Lebanon, since that person's visit to Israel (or brief passage _through_ Israel) might be difficult or impossible to avoid.

GrumpForTrump

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
The question was "If you met an Araeli-Arab/Israeli-Palestinian who was not anti-Israel, would you consider him or her a traitor?

I replied "No, I would consider them smart for having chosen to live under Jewish rule".

How is my answer off-topic? Care to explain that to me dear pro-HA moderators? @Iron Maiden @SeaAb @Nasser

SeaAb

Legendary Member
Staff member
Super Penguin
The question was "If you met an Araeli-Arab/Israeli-Palestinian who was not anti-Israel, would you consider him or her a traitor?

I replied "No, I would consider them smart for having chosen to live under Jewish rule".

How is my answer off-topic? Care to explain that to me dear pro-HA moderators? @Iron Maiden @SeaAb @Nasser
Sorry. Ma 2ele jlede hala2. Maybe some other time. :)

Ice Tea

Christians in Israel are the most successful and educated group in the country, they actually consider themselves lucky that Israel was created and they were able to prosper under Jewish instead of being decimated or treated as dhimmis under Arab Muslim rule.

Some Arab Muslims in Israel may pretend they hate the country, but deep down they know they are better off there than in any Muslim country, where they wouldn't have freedom nor quality of life.

CitizenOfTheRepublic

Legendary Member
I'm not Lebanese, but I would think it would be beneficial to Lebanon to allow third-country people to visit who have previously visited Israel. Although the real effects on tourism of the prohibition are unknowable, the Lebanese prohibition probably deters as many people from visiting Lebanon as it deters from visiting Israel. On the tripadvisor.com forum for Lebanon people constantly ask "Can I visit Lebanon after a visit to Israel?" so the number of people who have visited Israel who are interested in Lebanon too isn't zero.

I realize that this is a very distant dream, but I think that if Lebanon allowed entry to people who have been to Israel and Israel didn't overly-scrutinize visitors who have previously been to Lebanon (their entry is not prohibited), a cruise industry in the Eastern Mediterranean could develop and the ferry industry could grow.

I also think it is not right that someone who is a Palestinian might be prohibited from entering Lebanon, since that person's visit to Israel (or brief passage _through_ Israel) might be difficult or impossible to avoid.

I know plenty of people who visited Israel and visited Lebanon. All they did was get a new passport after Israel. Mind you going to Lebanon and then Israel would guarantee you a nice long questioning at Ben Gurion’s airport. A friend of mine, as American as apple pie, had to enjoy this once.

!Aoune32

When you have been outside of Lebanon or online and met Israeli-Arabs/Israeli-Palestinians, what have your interactions been like?

If you met an Israeli-Arab/Israeli-Palestinian who was not anti-Israel, would you consider him or her a traitor?

Do you think that Lebanon should take steps to mitigate its boycott of Israel as far as Israeli-Arabs/Israeli-Palestinians are concerned, like allow them to visit Lebanon or de-criminalize conversations with them?

never ever and dont want to meet 1.

الحج موكي

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
I know plenty of people who visited Israel and visited Lebanon. All they did was get a new passport after Israel. Mind you going to Lebanon and then Israel would guarantee you a nice long questioning at Ben Gurion’s airport. A friend of mine, as American as apple pie, had to enjoy this once.

Yeah, you can't pay off Israeli airport security.

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
Orange Room Supporter
Yeah, you can't pay off Israeli airport security.

Tis really an art

Mrsrx

Not an expert!
Staff member

Israel does not stamp passports anymore and lebanon doesnt check IATA info ...just a paper check on stamps..
If you nicely ask lebanon does not stamp the passport either.
Both countries are doing this as a political stance and not looking really to ban visitors as it is just a reminder that we are at war and we have a strong stance against the enemy.
In short neither country bans it they are just keeping appearances.

Jeremy Samuel

I met a Maronite Lebanese-American who traveled to Israel with two Lebanese-American friends. I was very worried that they would have a bad time getting through security at Ben Gurion Airport, but actually they got through very quickly. When the friends asked for Israeli entry stamps the Israeli customs agent resisted because of the trouble the stamps would cause, but the friends had no intention of traveling to any other Middle Eastern country in the near future and insisted on them and then the customs agent complied.

When they left Israel they actually had a delay because one of the friends had wrapped all his stuff (inside the luggage) inside plastic bags, but it wasn't a major problem or something the three Lebanese-Americans resented because they realized that all the plastic wrapping was very unusual.

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter

My interaction was that they are members of my family. It was great to be able to connect with my Israeli cousins after Facebook was invented.

I met an Israeli "Arab" from Haifa University at a conference, and I do not think that if someone was brave enough to stay in their home and become a citizen of the State of Israel then they become traitors. They are Israelis and they must be loyal to the state that gives them citizenship.

I was talking to my Israeli family while I was in Lebanon, was I a criminal?

Last edited:

Jorje

Legendary Member
I have not met any Palestinian-Israelis** personally, but I do know that quite a few Palestinian-Israeli politicians put every other Arab politician (Lebanese, Palestinian and whatever) for like the last few decades to total shame. People specifically like Haneen Zoabi, Tuma-Sleiman (who btw is from a Christian family) and Ayman Odeh are doing an incredible job representing their cause and their people - in an eloquent and skilled manner. Odeh specifically seems destined for something bigger - if only Palestinians can get someone like that instead of that crippled Abbas.

**Arab-Israeli is a term of identity that was forced on Israel's Palestinian citizens to deny them a Palestinian identity. Let's not take it for granted.

Last edited: