Sally Anne Faulkner: My kids were kidnapped to Lebanon - Please help me bring them home

Do you think the father's action is justified?

• Father's actions are not justified

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • Father's actions are justified

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Don't know. Need more information

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters
Jo

Jo

Administrator
Master Penguin
My little Lahela and Noah were taken 6 months ago. They were terrifyingly kidnapped by my ex-husband and I haven't heard from them.

This man stole my kids quietly and will face no punishment. I'm scared every second - they were taken to the middle east (Lebanon) and I still don't know if they're safe.

But absurdly, the government say “parental child abduction” isn’t technically criminalised in Australia so aren't bothering to help me find them.

I’ve been pleading for months for Julie Bishop to pick up a phone to the government in Lebanon, but all I’ve heard is silence. I can’t bear this.

My kids are in danger and the government won’t help. It's a hell I can't describe.

Please, I’m begging you – please sign my urgent petition for Foreign Minister Julie Bishop to help me bring my kids home safely, and show that abducting children should be a crime!

Source: Petition · Julie Bishop: My kids were kidnapped – I'm begging you to help me bring them home · Change.org

• Advertisement
  • Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    Full Article:

'It's a living hell': Heartbroken mother describes her agony and begs for help after her young children were kidnapped by their father in Lebanon six months ago
    • Sally Faulkner's ex-husband says her children will never return to Australia
    • Their alleged abduction came after a two-year amicable separation between
    • Ali Elamine moved back to Beirut and would visit the children in Australia
    • He asked if he could take them on holiday to Lebanon to see his family
    • Ms Faulkner has repeatedly called and messaged her ex-husband
    • She missed her daughter's fifth birthday and her son will turn three soon
    • She is 'desperate to hear Lahela's voice, to hold Noah's precious hands'

[article]
    A devastated mother who claims her two young children were abducted by her ex-husband in his native home of Lebanon is begging the Australian government for help, six agonising months since she lost her babies.

Sally Faulkner's daughter Lahela, 5, and two-year-old son Noah, went on holiday with their father Ali Elamine to Beirut, Lebanon, but only a day after they arrived she was told she would never see her children again.

'It's literally like a living hell,' Ms Faulkner told Daily Mail Australia in a tearful interview on Friday.

During a Skype call months ago her ex-husband told her: 'By the way, plans have changed – the kids aren't coming back.'

Scroll down for video

+25
    Sally Faulkner (pictured left) with her daughter Lahela, 5, (centre) and two-year-old son Noah (right)

+25
    It has been six months since Lahela (left) and Noah (right) were taken by their father while in Lebanon

+25
    Both children were born in Australia and Ms Faulkner let them travel to Lebanon with their father because she had no reason to suspect they would not come back from the holiday

+25
    Ms Faulkner is pleading for the Australian government to step in and help her bring her children home

+25
    'He said by the way plans have changed – the kids aren't coming back,' Ms Faulkner said her ex-husband Ali Elamine (pictured right) told her on Skype six months ago

Ms Faulkner said she repeatedly calls and emails Mr Elamine every day and has attempted to take legal action.

As her money and resources dwindle, Ms Faulkner is asking for the Australian government to step in and is petitioning for Minister of Foreign Affairs Julie Bishop to help bring her children home.

The government has done nothing to help her, Ms Faulkner claims.

+25
    Ms Faulkner (pictured with her daughter) has started a petition for Foreign Minister Julie Bishop's help

+25

+25
    The heartbroken mother is desperate to see her children again. A petition aimed at the Australian government on change.org has more than 1,500 supporters as of Friday

+25
    Photographs of her precious children are all Ms Faulkner has to cling on to since communication has been cut

+25
    'It's literally like a living hell,' she said in a tearful interview with the Daily Mail Australia on Friday

'It is ridiculous – Australia is one of a few countries where parental child abduction isn't 'criminalised,' so the government isn't helping.

'But I'm desperate to hear Lahela's voice, to hold Noah's precious hands – to tell them both mummy loves and misses them terribly,' she explains in the petition on Change.org, which has garnered 1,501 supports so far.

'The government has wiped their hands clean,' she said.

Ms Faulkner just missed Lahela's 5th birthday and her son, Noah, will turn three in less than a month.

Both children were born in Australia.

'It is a parent's worst nightmare. There is no real light at the end of the tunnel,' Ms Faulkner said.

The last time she heard her children's voices was during the immediate days after her children landed in Lebanon with their father and she claims he told her they were not returning.

While talking on Skype, Ms Faulkner said her daughter told her she missed her 'mummy and wanted to come home.'

+25
    Ms Faulkner said she repeatedly calls and emails Mr Elamine (pictured together in happier times) every day and has attempted to take legal action to get her children back.

+25
    The couple was separated for two years Mr Elamine would travel back to Australia to visit the kids

+25
    The separation was amicable and Ms Faulkner said she trusted her ex-husband before he left with the kids

+25
    The last time she heard her children's voices was during the immediate days after her children landed in Lebanon with their father and she claims he told her they were not returning

+25
    While talking on Skype, Ms Faulkner said her daughter told her she missed her 'mummy and wanted to come home'

Mr Elamine said she was upsetting the children and cut the conversation short and not since returned any messages, Ms Faulkner said.

The alleged abduction came as a shock after a two-year amicable separation between Ms Faulkner and Mr Elamine.

'That's why I felt that I could trust him,' she said.

Although after their separation Mr Elamine resided in Lebanon, he frequently visited every couple of months to see Lahela and Noah.

+25
    She said she was reluctant to let her children travel with their father (pictured) to Lebanon to visit his family for a holiday but that she 'didn't want to be one of those mums that kept the kids from their dad'

+25
    'He knew what he was going to do'

+25
    I just want him to be reminded that what he's done is wrong and what he's continually doing is not appropriate'

'I never once denied him any access or relationship with the children – he was free to come and go,' Ms Faulkner said.

She said she was reluctant to let her children travel with their father to Lebanon to visit his family for a holiday but that she 'didn't want to be one of those mums that kept the kids from their dad.'

She claims he planned to never return with the children after they boarded the plane and just a few weeks ago noticed that her children's immunization booklets were gone from her records.

'He knew what he was going to do. I just want him to be reminded that what he's done is wrong and what he's continually doing is not appropriate.'

+25
    Ms Faulkner (pictured) claims her ex-husband (pictured) planned to never return with the children after they boarded the plane and just a few weeks ago noticed that her children's immunization booklets were gone from her records
    [/article]

Read more: Sally Faulkner pleads for help to bring her children home from Lebanon | Daily Mail Online

IsaBells

IsaBells

All the jingle ladies, put your hands up!
    Orange Room Supporter
    I guess her best option is to come to Lebanon don't know how much or if her government can help but her kids are with their father not with a stranger so it's technically not a kidnapping

I kinda feel bad for her though

Goku

Goku

Legendary Member
    Truly heartbreaking, spread the word as wide as you can. A parent kidnapping their own children...it happens, but terrible all the same.

Dirty Dragon

Dirty Dragon

How did the kids end up with her in the first place? Strangely, nothing is mentioned about custody in the story. Since the father was travelling from Lebanon to Australia every few months to see his children, it could be the case that he could not get custody and decided to take matters in his own hands. I'd hear his side of the story before casting judgement.

IsaBells

IsaBells

Orange Room Supporter
    so he wanted to take his children from australia to give them a taste of the good life in lebanon...

smart guy this one... eben 7alel as we say
    Pretty sure the scenario goes like this, let's call his mom feryal and his dad antar

The guy was going back and forth between lebanon and Australia to see his children after divorcing his wife, he comes back to Lebanon after such visit And feryal is like hey son why not bring your children to Lebanon instead of going back every time to see them, antar agrees with feryal and adds: you should have never married that b!tch you should have married a nice Lebanese girl like Suraya now you live away from your children, feryal suggests he gets them home so they can live with their family instead of living abroad, antar agrees and adds plus over here we can raise them properly and instill our religious values, etc.

Now of course this was a very long discussion that went on for months and Ali finally became convinced that the best place for his children is next to him and his parents, so even though the divorce was amicable as evident by his ex wife not objecting to him taking the children on holiday he started seeing the benefits of having his children all to himself!

Anyway (apparently I'm kinda bored) I still think she should come to Lebanon, as evident by the pics she has already visited (harissa) she can sue for custody of course through religious institutions who might be partial to the Father (but I think even in Islam custody goes to the mother if the children are underage no?) worst case scenario she can see them once a week in a supervised visit!

Anything is better than losing them for good, and if I was a mother I'd chase after my children instead of expecting them to come back to me

MELF

MELF

Orange Room Supporter
    I guess her best option is to come to Lebanon don't know how much or if her government can help but her kids are with their father not with a stranger so it's technically not a kidnapping

I kinda feel bad for her though
    Actually, parental kidnapping constitutes a crime in many countries, though laws differ. In general, it takes into account the legal status of the offending parent, the existence of any legal orders regarding custody, and the intent of the offending parent. He's OK on the first two, but his intent is clearly malicious.

IsaBells

IsaBells

Orange Room Supporter
    Actually, parental kidnapping constitutes a crime in many countries, though laws differ. In general, it takes into account the legal status of the offending parent, the existence of any legal orders regarding custody, and the intent of the offending parent. He's OK on the first two, but his intent is clearly malicious.
    She herself said it's not a legal matter in Australia so ha! I win

MELF

MELF

Orange Room Supporter
    Anyway (apparently I'm kinda bored) I still think she should come to Lebanon, as evident by the pics she has already visited (harissa) she can sue for custody of course through religious institutions who might be partial to the Father (but I think even in Islam custody goes to the mother if the children are underage no?) worst case scenario she can see them once a week in a supervised visit!

Anything is better than losing them for good, and if I was a mother I'd chase after my children instead of expecting them to come back to me
    A foreigner with [most likely] zero command of the Arabic language.. suing for family matters in a sexist, patriarchal (and perhaps racist) society? Somehow I think the religious courts won't be impartial in their verdict.

MELF

MELF

Orange Room Supporter
    She herself said it's not a legal matter in Australia so ha! I win
    Yes, but it's wrong and that law needs to be changed. It's similar to marital rape.

Parental kidnapping isn't when a parent stops by the house and takes the children to the carnival with consent of the mother -- it's when the parent stops by and takes the children, with or without consent, and disappears.

LEBANESE-CIA

LEBANESE-CIA

Legendary Member
    Any parents kidnapping the kids or preventing the other parent to have access to their kids is morally a crime. ( unless either parent is legally forbiden under the status of the law)

the kids are australian citizens too, their embassy in lebanon can demand to see the kids, but of course in lebanese fawda system, i dunno if this is achievable.

IsaBells

IsaBells

Orange Room Supporter
    A foreigner with [most likely] zero command of the Arabic language.. suing for family matters in a sexist, patriarchal (and perhaps racist) society? Somehow I think the religious courts won't be impartial in their verdict.
    I said they'd be more than likely to side with the father but regardless her children are in lebanon and she needs to see them! It's better than waiting around for her government to react'

Although I agree parent kidnapping is wrong but she has some options to be in the life of her children again an online petition is the last resort!

Dirty Dragon

Dirty Dragon

Western custody laws in practical application favor females. To use cliche terminology, they are sexist and "matriarchal".

Any parents kidnapping the kids or preventing the other parent to have access to their kids is morally a crime. ( unless either parent is legally forbidden under the status of the law)
    We don't know he is preventing her from seeing the kids. She can come to Lebanon as he was coming to Australia.

I hate to play the devil's advocate without knowing the full story. But what is on that petition reads like an emotional appeal and lacks sufficient context info. It is only fair to hear his side of the story.

MELF

MELF

Orange Room Supporter
    I said they'd be more than likely to side with the father but regardless her children are in lebanon and she needs to see them! It's better than waiting around for her government to react'

Although I agree parent kidnapping is wrong but she has some options to be in the life of her children again an online petition is the last resort!
    What if she cannot afford to travel? Not every person's financial situation is the same. Also, Lebanon is not a safe and stable country.

MELF

MELF

Orange Room Supporter
    Western custody laws in practical application favor females. To use cliche terminology, they are sexist and "matriarchal".
    This is a myth. Gender bias is NOT the reason why family courts favor mothers. Working mothers do twice as much child rearing as working fathers do -- and two-income households are the norm in western societies. More importantly, 91% of all child custody cases are decided outside of the courts.

We don't know he is preventing her from seeing the kids. She can come to Lebanon as he was coming to Australia.

I hate to play the devil's advocate without knowing the full story. But what is on that petition reads like an emotional appeal and lacks sufficient context info. It is only fair to hear his side of the story.
    Surely, taking the kids out of their country of origin and residence, and cutting all ties with the mother is an indication.

Your argument that "she can come to Lebanon as he was coming to Australia" is not a proper comparison. They were married in Australia; the children were born in Australia; the children hold Australian citizenship and [most likely] lived all of their lives in Australia. Lebanon is as foreign as China to them. If the father chose to return back to Lebanon after the divorce, he has no right without consent of the mother to take the children and keep them there.

Not saying that the father's side of the story is unimportant, but there is enough information to make an educated guess.

IsaBells

IsaBells

Orange Room Supporter
    This is a myth. Gender bias is NOT the reason why family courts favor mothers. Working mothers do twice as much child rearing as working fathers do -- and two-income households are the norm in western societies. More importantly, 91% of all child custody cases are decided outside of the courts.

Surely, taking the kids out of their country of origin and residence, and cutting all ties with the mother is an indication.

Your argument that "she can come to Lebanon as he was coming to Australia" is not a proper comparison. They were married in Australia; the children were born in Australia; the children hold Australian citizenship and [most likely] lived all of their lives in Australia. Lebanon is as foreign as China to them. If the father chose to return back to Lebanon after the divorce, he has no right without consent of the mother to take the children and keep them there.

Not saying that the father's side of the story is unimportant, but there is enough information to make an educated guess.
    You forget the part where they all have pictures taken in lebanon as a family together! It's not as foreign a country to them as she's making it sound!

If she cannot travel she can sure as hell sell her clothes and buy a plane ticket! 6 months without seeing her children yet she found it appropriate to make an online emotional appeal petition instead of actually trying to get her children back!

I repeat once again her best bet at getting her children back or even seeing them again is getting her ass in lebanon as unstable as she thinks it is!

Goku

Goku

Legendary Member

Yes indeed. What the father did was deceive the mother and kidnap his own children. That is grounds enough to rule against him. I do not care for his reasons, his actions are criminal and immoral.

Dalzi

Dalzi

Legendary Member
    When you marry choose your wife carefully because she gets to bring the kids up and keep them. Byestehal. I hope she gets her children back.

Dalzi

Dalzi

Legendary Member
    Cute kids btw...
    Yes indeed. What the father did was deceive the mother and kidnap his own children. That is grounds enough to rule against him. I do not care for his reasons, his actions are criminal and immoral.
    Are you a man or a woman? You don't know the details of the case to rule against either of them. What we know is that he's a brainless moron.