Sami Gemayel elected new leader of the Kataeb Party

eLad

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
426269_img650x420_img650x420_crop.jpg

The Daily Star

BEIRUT: MP Sami Gemayel was elected Sunday as the seventh head of the Kataeb Party, in a move that transfers the leadership of one of Lebanon’s oldest political parties to the third generation of a family that has already produced two men voted to be Lebanese presidents.

Gemayel, who won with a majority of 339 votes, will now succeed his father, Amine Gemayel, a former president of Lebanon, who has led the party since 2007. Sami Gemayel’s rival, Pierre Atallah, received 37 votes.

Joseph Abu Khalil was elected as the party’s deputy leader and former MinisterSalim Sayyeghwas elected as second deputy leader.

Soon after his election, Gemayel promised the Lebanese to change the pattern of political life in Lebanon. “We will not become the political life of Lebanon, we will let the political life inLebanonbecome like us,” a tearful Gemayel said after the announcement.

He said that he felt the weight of the responsibility he now bears and vowed to work tirelessly for the sake of the party and the Lebanese people.

“I would like to assure all the Lebanese and all sects that I will be faithful to the sacrifices they are making in this period,” Gemayel said. “I would like to assure all the Lebanese and Kataeb [members] that we will work together to attain Lebanon’s recovery.”

He promised to stand on the side of every father, every mother and every youth who are struggling every day to stay in Lebanon.

Gemayel urged unity within his party, saying “I didn’t come to do this alone.”

Addressing Kataeb officials, he said: “You will go back home late because we will be working around the clock.”

Sunday’s polls started at 10 a.m. at the Kataeb headquarters in Saifi on the last day of the party’s 30th General Conference, which kicked off Friday at theLe Royal Hotelin Dbayyeh. The ballot box closed at 3 p.m. and the results were announced at around 9:30 p.m.

After casting his ballot, Sami Gemayel told reporters: “The election was democratic. We are proud to be the only party in the East to have a democratic life.”

Asked to comment on those who criticized the passing of the party’s leadership from father to son, he said: “The critics do not belong to the Kataeb, and they do not express the will of the Kataeb. They are renegades and the remnants of the Syrian era, when the party was under [Syrian] tutelage.”

The polls come almost two weeks since Gemayel, 34, declared his candidacy and presented his electoral program during a ceremony in his hometown of Bikfaya, after his father announced he would not seek another term.

Sami Gemayel was elected to Parliament in 2009. He is the grandson of Pierre Gemayel, who founded the Kataeb in 1936. It would become the most influential Christian party during Lebanon’s 1975-90 Civil War. Sami Gemayel is also the nephew of assassinated President-elect Bashir Gemayel.

Amine Gemayel, who served as Lebanon’s president from 1982 to 1988, praised the party’s election and called on lawmakers to go to Parliament to end the yearlong presidential vacuum by electing a new president.

“We hope that this exemplary democratic experience will be a message to the Lebanese to fully learn from what happened and elect a president as soon as possible,” he told reporters after casting his ballot.

He said he hoped that lawmakers would follow the Kataeb election pattern by going to Parliament to choose a successor to former President Michel Sleiman, whose six-year tenure ended on May 25 last year.

“No country can be stable without a head. The republic must not remain on hold in this manner,” he said. “Today’s Kataeb election, or this unique democratic experience, should be applied to the entire national situation in order for national institutions to be stabilized.”

Although he did not seek another term as party leader,Amine Gemayelsaid: “I will not leave the party. I will be staying in the party alongside all colleagues when the need arises.”

Acknowledging that he is a candidate for the presidency, he said: “What matters for me is the swift election of a president who is capable of steering the ship.”

HannaTheCrusader

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Good for them , at least they did elections.

Is that election ....???

Mandiubeen were chosen
Dissenters were sacked
Legal challanges set aside by pliant judges

Such elections are much damaging than non elections

Onky Ba'ath Iraqis and Syrian under sad dam and hafez had such percentages as petit Sami

Yalla.thats what the people really want and they are getting their wishes .

Dumb people will translate to dumber leaders

nonsense

Legendary Member
Is that election ....???

Mandiubeen were chosen
Dissenters were sacked
Legal challanges set aside by pliant judges

Such elections are much damaging than non elections

Onky Ba'ath Iraqis and Syrian under sad dam and hafez had such percentages as petit Sami

Yalla.thats what the people really want and they are getting their wishes .

Dumb people will translate to dumber leaders

Well, with 90%, he is closer to Bashar's 89% than to Hafez's 100%. With a houjoum or two, and binoculars in hand, there still is hope for progress. We will need a new generation clown anyway.

HannaTheCrusader

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Its a cross, like every zouzou ebba.

Christians wear that

My kids wear it as a neckless

That's his religious Choice, he is using it mostly to send a message he is a Christian :). But still it's one choice

God will sort them out later, the believers from the none, it's not ours to judge

freemind

Christians wear that

My kids wear it as a neckless

That's his religious Choice, he is using it mostly to send a message he is a Christian :). But still it's one choice

God will sort them out later, the believers from the none, it's not ours to judge

This thing on the wrist or those big bishop necklaces, and the Saint Charbel pictures on cars are a cult started by the LF-Kataeb clique, if you were around Lebanon in the early 2000's you would know.

You can be more christian at heart without showing it to people.

In my opinion a small golden necklace cross or a vrigin mary pin under your clothes is more intimate and discrete, its more honest to thyself with no need to show off. You wish to put a wooden bracelet on your wrist you're free to do that, even Nabil Nkoula at one point put it on his wrist part of his one on one frenzy against Sami in Maten.

HannaTheCrusader

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
This thing on the wrist or those big bishop necklaces, and the Saint Charbel pictures on cars are a cult started by the LF-Kataeb clique, if you were around Lebanon in the early 2000's you would know.

You can be more christian at heart without showing it to people.

In my opinion a small golden necklace cross or a vrigin mary pin under your clothes is more intimate and discrete, its more honest to thyself with no need to show off. You wish to put a wooden bracelet on your wrist you're free to do that, even Nabil Nkoula at one point put it on his wrist part of his one on one frenzy against Sami in Maten.

I agree what Sami is doing is a show off , I said that earlier

Still I find it a personal thing, and his choice
Same like nabil did, was also a show off

Religion is bets practiced privately , but many like show offs :). That's life

As for this trend started in 2000 , I disagree

Christians always had such relics around them

My auntie gave me my first TKheeree ( a family relic she had from her grandpa , she swore it's fform the Holy cross ).
So it's nothing new , maybe they reintroduce it in a new fashionable more wearable way that's all

My TKheeree was soused into a tiny black cloth that I wore as a pendant

Things change with time, they become more fashionable and more money maker
Imagine now much all these churches and convents makes from such sales nowadays

In St Charbel, they sell what they label local produce , if you plant Al of the land there, it won't even be enough for. A week sake at teh going rate

That's religion business dude, big bucks , big money

freemind

My auntie gave me my first TKheeree ( a family relic she had from her grandpa , she swore it's fform the Holy cross ).
So it's nothing new , maybe they reintroduce it in a new fashionable more wearable way that's all

Yes then ouwet and friends adopted it as their own, for as you know they are the true christian cause, hus wala bazme.

leb-wi-noss

Legendary Member
It's funny that you are all looking for anything to make fun of the elections the Kataeb did.
One group belong to a party that got its leader assigned from a semi god sitting in Iran and another group belong to a fan club of an old man nearing grave with his heirs fighting for positions and blocking all kind of reforms that doesn't guarantee their success.

Pathetic!

Bandar

Orange Room Supporter
Congrats to Sami, continuing the path for a strong Lebanon that his family has always been a part of.

JB81

Legendary Member
Maskhara! 90% of the votes and those who voted differently had been call a treasonous Syrian remnants.

Kan ashraf had Sami crowned himself as the forever dictator of the party.

Sami is cool. Hope he opens up to FPM on various issues that joins both parties intrests.

Last edited:

leb-wi-noss

Legendary Member
Maskhara! 90% of the votes and those who voted differently had been call a treasonous Syrian remnants.

Kan ashraf had Sami crowned himself as the forever dictator of the party.

Sami is cool. Hope he opens up to FPM on various issues that joins both parties intrests.

You trash him and then you say he is cool? Bipolar 7adertak? Or you are used now to ally with dictators? :)

JB81

Legendary Member
You trash him and then you say he is cool? Bipolar 7adertak? Or you are used now to ally with dictators? :)

It's not a bi-polar. Life is not black or white, Godly or devil. Nothing in this world is perfect, including Sami. Criticizing the do called election dies not invalidate the positive view that I hold for Sami.

I'm simpl not a blind hater.

As for allying with dictators. I'm not sure what you're talking about. But it is funny that this accusation is coming from bedouin Salman worshipers

leb-wi-noss

Legendary Member
It's not a bi-polar. Life is not black or white, Godly or devil. Nothing in this world is perfect, including Sami. Criticizing the do called election dies not invalidate the positive view that I hold for Sami.

I'm simpl not a blind hater.

As for allying with dictators. I'm not sure what you're talking about. But it is funny that this accusation is coming from bedouin Salman worshipers

I'm talking about this:
aoun-assad.jpeg

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Soon after his election, Gemayel promised the Lebanese to change the pattern of political life in Lebanon. “We will not become the political life of Lebanon, we will let the political life inLebanonbecome like us,” a tearful Gemayel said after the announcement.

Where do I start? o_O

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And to all the pro Syria rebels on here, Assad won elections too! :D:D:D

*sigh*