Opinion Sexual orientation neutrality

Do you approve of sexual orientation neutrality

• Total voters
AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Am I the only one who thinks it's offensive to quickly assume that someone is straight, as if this the only socially-acceptable partnership and being gay is sick and against the norm.

Isn't it better to assume that people in general are sexually-diverse and act accordingly?
Like instead of asking a woman if she has a boyfriend, why not simply ask if she has someone in her life?

I think this will pave the way for less discrimination against the LGBT community in the long run. What are your thoughts on this?

• Advertisement
  • Ice Tea

Ice Tea

Yes, people always ask me if I have a girlfriend or that I'm gonna find a girlfriend soon. It makes me feel embarrassed so I try to change the subject quickly.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    Am I the only one who thinks it's offensive to quickly assume that someone is straight, as if this the only socially-acceptable partnership and being gay is sick and against the norm.

Isn't it better to assume that people in general are sexually-diverse and act accordingly?
    Like instead of asking a woman if she has a boyfriend, why not simply ask if she has someone in her life?

I think this will pave the way for less discrimination against the LGBT community in the long run. What are your thoughts on this?
    When 96% of people are heterosexual, its pretty safe to assume things you know, and if u’re really really not sure, u can ask in a very polite way.

Nonan

Nonan

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    When 96% of people are heterosexual, its pretty safe to assume things you know, and if u’re really really not sure, u can ask in a very polite way.
    This is a very interesting point. It depends what your assumption is used for. Take any majority / minority situation. If we’re not careful, our assumptions and questioning could lead any minority to feel like an “anomaly” having to justify their existence / their difference...
    asking someone if they’re A+ or O- is critical for a blood transfusion or an operation. But casually assuming they need to be O+ and asking them to explain that they are A- every time ends up weighing on them and making them feel inadequate

Nonan

Nonan

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Let's not go too far also. A male is a male, and a female is a female
    And there is a tiny, tiny minority that are born both.... should we just label them freaks and put them in a circus ?

Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I find it horribly offensive when people assume i can ride a bike....well i cannot!
    NO WE CANNOT VELIB HOME AT 3PM....ill take an Uber thank you! ...Pricks!

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    This is a very interesting point. It depends what your assumption is used for. Take any majority / minority situation. If we’re not careful, our assumptions and questioning could lead any minority to feel like an “anomaly” having to justify their existence / their difference...
    asking someone if they’re A+ or O- is critical for a blood transfusion or an operation. But casually assuming they need to be O+ and asking them to explain that they are A- every time ends up weighing on them and making them feel inadequate
    I cant take your analogy seriously as one question can lead to hospitalization while the other will, at worst, make u feel awkward for 3.27seconds.
    Yea i’ve done the math

Nonan

Nonan

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I cant take your analogy seriously as one question can lead to hospitalization while the other will, at worst, make u feel awkward for 3.27seconds.
    Yea i’ve done the math
    Again, the point was, when people ask you for your blood type, they don’t start by making assumptions based on a “majority”, all blooed types are treated equally. They don’t say “well assume it is O+, tell us if it is not”. Try feeling awkward, even for 3 seconds, twice a day, 6 days a week, 44 weeks a year for 15 years (based on the same some minority status all the time, not just generally feel awkward:) then tell me what impact that will have on you...

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    Again, the point was, when people ask you for your blood type, they don’t start by making assumptions based on a “majority”, all blooed types are treated equally. They don’t say “well assume it is O+, tell us if it is not”. Try feeling awkward, even for 3 seconds, twice a day, 6 days a week, 44 weeks a year for 15 years (based on the same some minority status all the time, not just generally feel awkward:) then tell me what impact that will have on you...
    My good man, whenever i go to restaurants the waiter assumes i want frizzy water because most frenchies ask for frizzy water.
    Its completly normal to assume stuff and to rectify when u hit on the small batch that doesnt fit ur assumption and there is no harm done.
    Or else the world would come to a stand still everytime one has to consider all the options involved before talking to someone.
    Do you get my drift?

Nonan

Nonan

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    My good man, whenever i go to restaurants the waiter assumes i want frizzy water because most frenchies ask for frizzy water.
    Its completly normal to assume stuff and to rectify when u hit on the small batch that doesnt fit ur assumption and there is no harm done.
    Or else the world would come to a stand still everytime one has to consider all the options involved before talking to someone.
    Do you get my drift?
    My fellow good man (I’m making an assumption on your gender), making assumptions on water preferences can be quite harmless, making assumptions based on identity (gender, race, sexual orientation, age, accent, etc) is a different story. I’m happy to share with you studies about unconscious bias, blind spots and resulting micro-aggressions (you can google them too). But that’s a topic for a different thread.
    Now just imagine the waiter constantly offered you tap water and expressed surpise every time you order bottled water, citing the price of the bottled water, because they think you’re cheap... wouldn’t that start annoying you?

M

motorhead

You are a minority, and the vast majority of society would reject your idea of social engineering ( talking about Lebanon ).

Tayyar9

Tayyar9

Legendary Member
    And for you there is only black and white? Why not have “male, female, other”?
    There are other very rare cases, I didn't say there wasn't. But for me a male is a male, and a female is a female. A male saying he is a female for me is wrong. That's what I meant in my first post. There are very rare cases, like the one you pointed out, that might be different. But I once saw a man on TV, and everytime the host talked to him as a man, he refused.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    My fellow good man (I’m making an assumption on your gender), making assumptions on water preferences can be quite harmless, making assumptions based on identity (gender, race, sexual orientation, age, accent, etc) is a different story. I’m happy to share with you studies about unconscious bias, blind spots and resulting micro-aggressions (you can google them too). But that’s a topic for a different thread.
    Now just imagine the waiter constantly offered you tap water and expressed surpise every time you order bottled water, citing the price of the bottled water, because they think you’re cheap... wouldn’t that start annoying you?
    Now if i ask the same person 6 times in a row, not only would that make them feel bad i would be the biggest asshole to be walking the earth.

But if 6 different people asked each on their own then that would just be life as we know it, when people meet new faces and inquire abt them.
    Dont give it more importance than it deserves.

As for the microagression part of your post, i am saddly going to inform you that i dont believe they exist and are just a bunch or excuses to escape dealing with reality.

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Now if i ask the same person 6 times in a row, not only would that make them feel bad i would be the biggest asshole to be walking the earth.

But if 6 different people asked each on their own then that would just be life as we know it, when people meet new faces and inquire abt them.
    Dont give it more importance than it deserves.

As for the microagression part of your post, i am saddly going to inform you that i dont believe they exist and are just a bunch or excuses to escape dealing with reality.
    I don't believe in gender neutrality. There are only 2 genders. People who identify as both are in the process of transitioning to either a boy or a girl.
    Trannies resort to surgery to change their gender. There's no gender called transexual.

I wonder if shemales use the men's restroom though. I mean they do have quite the package...