Should a neo-Phoenician language be introduced in Lebanon?

DLT

DLT

Orange Room Supporter
Lol, this is ridiculous. And why should the Latin alphabet be used? To make us more "modern"? Lol @ this being called a language. Clearly, writing Lebanese words with the Arabic script will show that it's just a variety of Arabic.
Writing Lebanese with Chinese script will not make it a variety of Chinese LOL.
But Lebanese is continuously changing, the latest changes to it were the French words Bonjour/ bonjouren/ merci/ bonsoir/ bonsoiren/ toilet ... I know they are French words but now they are part of the Lebanese dialect. Everyone on T.V and this new generation say those words. This is how the Lebanese language was built by mixing Arabic, Aramaic. Turkish, French... I think it would be fair if the Lebanese language was represented by Latin words like above especially for the millions of people that are living abroad in Brazil and Canada that don't know any Arabic script.

• Advertisement
  • Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Writing Lebanese with Chinese script will not make it a variety of Chinese LOL.
    But Lebanese is continuously changing, the latest changes to it were the French words Bonjour/ bonjouren/ merci/ bonsoir/ bonsoiren/ toilet ... I know they are French words but now they are part of the Lebanese dialect. Everyone on T.V and this new generation say those words. This is how the Lebanese language was built by mixing Arabic, Aramaic. Turkish, French... I think it would be fair if the Lebanese language was represented by Latin words like above especially for the millions of people that are living abroad in Brazil and Canada that don't know any Arabic script.
    Lebanese words are mostly Arabic pronounced differently.

DLT

DLT

Orange Room Supporter
    Lebanese words are mostly Arabic pronounced differently.
    Yes a lot of Lebanese words are from Arabic, but the rest of the words don't exist at all in Arabic and are from languages like: French (Bonjour,merci, tableau...), Turkish (2ouda), Assyrian (eh,la2, eimata =emat=when) to be honest I'm no expert in the languages but there are so many words that don't exist in standard Arabic only in Lebanese like inside(jouwa), outside (barra), kifak ... The biggest difference between Lebanese and Arabic are the structure and the pronunciation.
    I think the difference is very evident and big.

You ask why choose Latin alphabet, well it's because of you and the rest of the Lebanese who are already using Latin alphabet with numbers to write Lebanese. Why not improve the Lebanese writing by replacing the use of numbers with other new Latin letters. It will improve our culture.

Hameed

Hameed

if it is complete and can be used to describe, translate most meanings, then yes why not, one should be proud at least to know about it in school and at least in primary grades
    instead of many useless materials or outdated materials they teach in school

Danny Z

Danny Z

Legendary Member
    Yes a lot of Lebanese words are from Arabic, but the rest of the words don't exist at all in Arabic and are from languages like: French (Bonjour,merci, tableau...), Turkish (2ouda), Assyrian (eh,la2, eimata =emat=when) to be honest I'm no expert in the languages but there are so many words that don't exist in standard Arabic only in Lebanese like inside(jouwa), outside (barra), kifak ... The biggest difference between Lebanese and Arabic are the structure and the pronunciation.
    I think the difference is very evident and big.

You ask why choose Latin alphabet, well it's because of you and the rest of the Lebanese who are already using Latin alphabet with numbers to write Lebanese. Why not improve the Lebanese writing by replacing the use of numbers with other new Latin letters. It will improve our culture.
    jouwa comes from jawfouha, jawf الجوف meaning the inside, kifak comes from kif 7alak said in pretty fast way. Barra comes from البَرَى, ya3ni the wilderness (barriyya) which denotes the outside, when you tell somebody tla3 barra, ya3ni go out from here to the wilderness, the outside in other words

Hameed

Hameed

jouwa comes from jawfouha, jawf الجوف meaning the inside, kifak comes from kif 7alak said in pretty fast way. Barra comes from البَرَى, ya3ni the wilderness (barriyya) which denotes the outside, when you tell somebody tla3 barra, ya3ni go out from here to the wilderness, the outside in other words
    tla3 barra wleh a7ssa ma tshuf shi ma ye3ejbak, 3aref 7allak ma3 meen 3am te7keh !! WLEH !! <== explain this :icon10:

DLT

DLT

Orange Room Supporter
    LOL
    translated into standard arabic => 2Iddhar 2ila l kharej (wleh ??? ) Likay la tarra chay2an la you3jibouka, hal ta3ref ma3 man tatakalam!! :dil:

It's like a completely different language.

DANNY Z explain the difference between both sentences :popcorn:

But for real they need to start teaching phoenician so that we remain close to our history. :)

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    @DLT

Hebrew is the closest living language to Phoenician.
    That said, I don't want to replace Arabic.
    Or how about creating an Arabo-Phoenician language? :p

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    @DLT

How about reinstalling the Syriac language

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    How about reinstalling the Syriac language
    That too was imposed through occupation.
    But Maronites can try to revive it given they use it in their churches, but I know that before the civil war, you guys were too busy speaking French. :p

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Does anyone even know what Phoenician sounded like? If not, what would be the point of inventing a fake version of it?

DLT

DLT

Orange Room Supporter
    @DLT

You want an arabo-phoenician language?
    You are saying Phoenician = Hebrew which is spoken by Israel and Arabic= Arabic which is spoken by Lebanon.
    Are you saying that Lebanon and Israel should be friends and united to become Phoenicia, then we can speak ARABO-PHOENICIAN :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::confused:

btw I just came up with a way to write Lebanese in Latin without any special characters, i didn't really come up with it myself but still.. it's an Injêz.

DLT

DLT

Orange Room Supporter
    Does anyone even know what Phoenician sounded like? If not, what would be the point of inventing a fake version of it?
    It will sound like a modern version of it, just like how english/french...used to sound different.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    You are saying Phoenician = Hebrew which is spoken by Israel and Arabic= Arabic which is spoken by Lebanon.
    Are you saying that Lebanon and Israel should be friends and united to become Phoenicia, then we can speak ARABO-PHOENICIAN :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::confused:

btw I just came up with a way to write Lebanese in Latin without any special characters, i didn't really come up with it myself but still.. it's an Injêz.
    Acre used to be ours.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter

What is your system?

TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox

Isn't the closest thing to Phoenician, Western Aramaic which is only spoken by barley over 10,000 people in Syria or Lebanon?

DLT

DLT

Orange Room Supporter
    What is your system?
    Sistem qtîr hayyin, hala' houwwe mich sistême, houwwe jêye min el "IPA", yaane rah fasirlaq bil inglîze tahet michên qoun awdah.

IPA uses " ‘ " for "3ayn"
    IPA uses " ' " for hamzeh

These symbols could be used but they can also be replaced in certain cases by letters:
    -in words where "3ayn" comes after "a" like za3tar, a3zam : becomes zaatar, aazam
    -
    in words where hamzeh is orginally "kaf" like baqra (ba2ra) beqdir (be2dir)

As for the letters, follow the french alphabets (without the accents) and write the way you pronounce.

For long vowel add an accent like: inglîze, sistême (do that when you write formally)

3: ‘ or aa
    2: ' or k
    7: h (yup same as h)
    h: h
    gh: gh
    kh:kh

chou ra'yaq?