Should a neo-Phoenician language be introduced in Lebanon?

Lebmonage

Lebmonage

Legendary Member
Scientific research have lead to the conclusion that Lebanese are in fact the descendents of Phoenicians, which means, we are not really Arab. So my question is, since Phoenician is our true identity, shouldn't we try to revive the Phoenician language? That doesn't mean you should forget Arabic, we can learn both language or create a mixed language reflection more adequatly our identity and our culture.
Ya 3ammeh baddak tjarresna. Bil 3arabeh mish 3arfen ne7keh kilemten. Baddak yena ne7keh finiqqi? Imagine Saad Hariri making a speech in Phoenician! He will use the entire year in Parliament for just one speech.

• Advertisement
  • The_FPMer

The_FPMer

Ya 3ammeh baddak tjarresna. Bil 3arabeh mish 3arfen ne7keh kilemten. Baddak yena ne7keh finiqqi? Imagine Saad Hariri making a speech in Phoenician! He will use the entire year in Parliament for just one speech.
    El jorsa is to ignore our ancestral language that had a tremendous impact on future languages and thus the world, but that's besides the point. Phoenician cannot be revived because there are no documentations available. You literally have to invent hundreds of thousands of words or borrow heavily from Punic.

In other words, baleha.

B

Beth_Ansho

We don't need to reintroduce the language for speech uses, but we can preserve it for posterity by creating a keyboard, for example, before others claim it as their own.

The_FPMer

The_FPMer

We don't need to reintroduce the language for speech uses, but we can preserve it for posterity by creating a keyboard, for example, before others claim it as their own.
    Many Lebanese will reject it. Even those who identify as Arabs, many of them pontificate that Phoenicians came from Bahrain and thus are Arabs themselves. Pretty hilarious if you ask me.

Lebmonage

Lebmonage

Legendary Member
    Is "Beth Ansho" a Phoenician name? I need Phoenician names suggestions for my kids.

Lebmonage

Lebmonage

Legendary Member
    Many Lebanese will reject it. Even those who identify as Arabs, many of them pontificate that Phoenicians came from Bahrain and thus are Arabs themselves. Pretty hilarious if you ask me.
    The original Bahrainis in pre Arabian or pre Islamic times are not Arabs.

Last edited:
    B

Beth_Ansho

Is "Beth Ansho" a Phoenician name? I need Phoenician names suggestions for my kids.
    It's Syriac/Aramaic. Since the Syriac script doesn't appear here, I'll use Latin transliterations. "Beth" is roughly equivalent to "house" or بيت, but the connotation goes a bit further to mean an institution. Ansho is just a name of a man mish ma3rouf 2ar3et bayyo mnain, derived from "nousho", which means mankind (الانسان).

B

Beth_Ansho

@Lebmonage Anyway, most Phoenician names will probably contain references to Phoenician gods, Baal, Melqart, Ashtarout. It's odd in the 21st century, no?

I

illusion84

Well Phoenicians themselves claimed to be from the Red Sea I believe.

As for the Bahrain connection; there is a historical merit of the connection between the two; phoenicians were sea faring people they had cultural influence all over the old world; not necessarily that they came from Bahrain...

I

illusion84

No, The Greeks did.
    Based on the phoenicians claims.

Sadly we have no historical first hand accounts from phoenicians themselves.

Our next best thing would be a genetic analysis of phoenicians remains. I believe it was done and it shows a mixed population ?

The_FPMer

The_FPMer

Based on the phoenicians claims.
    No Greeks used to besmirch everyone who was against them.

Sadly we have no historical first hand accounts from phoenicians themselves.
    Sanchuniathon's works shed a light.

Our next best thing would be a genetic analysis of phoenicians remains. I believe it was done and it shows a mixed population ?
    No population is pure and the Phoenicians had states based on cities and not on race. But the mixing was minimal.