Should we apply capital punishment in Lebanon?

Applying capital punishment in Lebanon

• Total voters
T

Tendstoinfinity

Let's face it. Prisoners cost a shitload of money to keep, Roumieh is already crowded and some prisoners do deserve execution. Do you agree with applying such punishment or not? Why?

• Advertisement
  • AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    No, because I don't enjoy making others suffer, no matter how vile they might be.
    I understand the use of force in self defense, but prisoners are confined within a cell and pose no risk to society.
    What purpose does the death penalty serve in that case?

Instead of executing prisoners to save money, you can rehabilitate them into productive people who can contribute to the economy.

T

Tendstoinfinity

Revenge for the victim's family & a deterrent for future criminals

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    No, because I don't enjoy making others suffer, no matter how vile they might be.
    I understand the use of force in self defense, but prisoners are confined within a cell and pose no risk to society.
    What purpose does the death penalty serve in that case?

Instead of executing prisoners to save money, you can rehabilitate them into productive people who can contribute to the economy.
    Pro-Death penalty argue that it serves to repeal the person from committing a crime as he may be sentence to death as a capital punishment.
    The question, does it really deter people from committing a crime? Some say yes, some no.

I don't have a firm stand on this issue as the above argument is still debated; thus, for now, I'm with capital punishment in extreme circumstances or keep it on books as a fazay3a but don't really practice it

My Moria Moon

My Moria Moon

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    You smash a malaria mosquito, a scorpion or an emm arb3a w arb3een climbing your bed before they even touch you, or you take the life of a dog who bit someone. And these god's creatures you kill with no remorse or questions asked for doing only what nature equipped them with to do to survive.

Sanctifying the life of some human monster who, guilty without doubt, premeditatedly takes the life of another human, screams fascitoid discrimination against our other brothers and sisters in fauna. Either all to man harmful creations shall live, or they all shall die at the hand of the executioner.

Apostate

Apostate

Your will, my hands.
    Orange Room Supporter
    It is a pretty complicated subject and it is difficult to have a stance or the other.

On one hand, capital punishment may:
    - deter some people from committing murder
    - save some money used to feed the murderers
    - bring some peace to victim's family knowing the criminal got a taste from what he committed.

On the other hand, one of the most important reasons that irritates me about capital punishment is the possibility of error. What if the convicted was falsely convicted and was innocent afterall? There are alot of examples worldwide where convicted people are set free even decades are being imprisoned and then found innocent.
    Other reasons would be as mentioned before, you could make the criminal work and be productive while imprisoned, or is it even moral to take away someone's life no matter what he has committed?

fidelio

fidelio

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    You smash a malaria mosquito, a scorpion or an emm arb3a w arb3een climbing your bed before they even touch you, or you take the life of a dog who bit someone. And these god's creatures you kill with no remorse or questions asked for doing only what nature equipped them with to do to survive.

Sanctifying the life of some human monster who, guilty without doubt, premeditatedly takes the life of another human, screams fascitoid discrimination against our other brothers and sisters in fauna. Either all to man harmful creations shall live, or they all shall die at the hand of the executioner.
    Regardless of flawed judicial procedures and human error, and even if absolute certainty exists somewhere in this uncertain world, the death penalty remains a rather resilient moral dilemma. It could very well be the first human dilemma to ever exist.

If we consider the act of killing another human soul to be punishable by death itself, then why are theft, perjury, rape and involuntary manslaughter punishable by imprisonment? We single out the act of killing as being the capital murder worthy of capital punishment simply because it takes away an irreplaceable soul and creates a abysmal void where it once existed, affecting many people in the process. But by killing the murderer, the punishment itself is inflicting upon some what that murderer inflicted upon others. On the other hand, if imprisoned, the individual will remain a burden on society, a possible threat if released and a constant reminder to the few vindictive souls that justice is not fair. (which it rarely is) Hence, the dilemma.

Of course in olden days, when the wise were wise and the clever were witty, the murderer was simply eternally banished from the society that once embraced him. Some were cast outside city walls where they will either become somebody else's problem or find salvation in death or repentance. Of course, when civilizations became less and less civilized, the banished would become organized in colonizing campaigns and more recently terrorists.
    In spite of how vile that idea became nowadays, i still believe a more contemporary and useful banishment can be devised where these elements of the society are not wasted if not fully reformed. Prison is not the answer either.

This could be a good subtopic for the creative minds here.

Libnene Qu7

Libnene Qu7

Super Ultra Senior Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Executing a prisoner is just as bad, if not worse, than whatever that prisoner did. It's beyond comprehension how anyone can casually talk about killing other people, no matter who they are and what they've done.
    You? A die-hard conservative... against capital punishment?!

Libnene Qu7

Libnene Qu7

Super Ultra Senior Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Regardless of flawed judicial procedures and human error, and even if absolute certainty exists somewhere in this uncertain world, the death penalty remains a rather resilient moral dilemma. It could very well be the first human dilemma to ever exist.

If we consider the act of killing another human soul to be punishable by death itself, then why are theft, perjury, rape and involuntary manslaughter punishable by imprisonment? We single out the act of killing as being the capital murder worthy of capital punishment simply because it takes away an irreplaceable soul and creates a abysmal void where it once existed, affecting many people in the process. But by killing the murderer, the punishment itself is inflicting upon some what that murderer inflicted upon others. On the other hand, if imprisoned, the individual will remain a burden on society, a possible threat if released and a constant reminder to the few vindictive souls that justice is not fair. (which it rarely is) Hence, the dilemma.

Of course in olden days, when the wise were wise and the clever were witty, the murderer was simply eternally banished from the society that once embraced him. Some were cast outside city walls where they will either become somebody else's problem or find salvation in death or repentance. Of course, when civilizations became less and less civilized, the banished would become organized in colonizing campaigns and more recently terrorists.
    In spite of how vile that idea became nowadays, i still believe a more contemporary and useful banishment can be devised where these elements of the society are not wasted if not fully reformed. Prison is not the answer either.

This could be a good subtopic for the creative minds here.
    I say we should make a large labor force out of them for community service and government projects. Use them as free labor.

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member

you do not possess the right to end another human being's life under any pretext. such a right does not belong to you, nor does it belong to the community. you can banish them, put them away for life, or even try to rehabilitate them, but when you appropriate the right to end another person's life, under no matter which pretext that you may find valid, then you will not be all that different from that person you are getting rid of.

the recognition and the respect for the sanctity of life is what drives justice, the minute we overlook that we become monsters ourselves. that is a resounding no against capital punishment.

My Moria Moon

My Moria Moon

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    you do not possess the right to end another human being's life under any pretext. such a right does not belong to you, nor does it belong to the community. you can banish them, put them away for life, or even try to rehabilitate them, but when you appropriate the right to end another person's life, under no matter which pretext that you may find valid, then you will not be all that different from that person you are getting rid of.

the recognition and the respect for the sanctity of life is what drives justice, the minute we overlook that we become monsters ourselves. that is a resounding no against capital punishment.
    The all merciful god does not approve of torture, throwing someone behind iron bars for life is protracted torture; I do not enjoy torturing human beings, you shouldn't neither. In god's eyes quick death to the premeditated murderer and baby eater is mercy, thereof the expression ra7imahou'llah when hoisted down from the gallow.

The sanctity of life should by any motto include all life. That poor dark brownish bewinged sarsour you splashed his insides out under your shoe an hour ago on the stay7a, shou zanbo other than being an ungly sarsour? He didn't even murder an ant. Had you tried to rehabilitate him into a more friendly looking insect I would have considered joining your line of thought. :p

cedarheart

cedarheart

The original post of this thread proposes capital punishment as a solution to crowded jails and as a way to save money, i'm sorry but this is absurd and, to some extent, sick!
    First we should define the problem, if in this case it's overcrowded jails then instead of killing prisoners one should look into the root cause and ask why do we have such high number of people in jails? Why is criminality on the rise? and then find solutions tailored to the root cause: what can be done to lower criminality? what is pushing few into committing crimes? etc

It's very rare in Lebanon for criminals to be sentenced to death, and the law permits it on very limited cases. The percentage of prisoners on death row is almost negligible compared to the total number of jails population. So even if you start applying this barbaric punishment you won't achieve any of the desired objectives.

The state should never kill its citizens, instead it should invest in their well being, education, economic prosperity, and help its most vulnerable to stay away from crime

AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    The all merciful god does not approve of torture, throwing someone behind iron bars for life is protracted torture; I do not enjoy torturing human beings, you shouldn't neither. In god's eyes quick death to the premeditated murderer and baby eater is mercy, thereof the expression ra7imahou'llah when hoisted down from the gallow.

The sanctity of life should by any motto include all life. That poor dark brownish bewinged sarsour you splashed his insides out under your shoe an hour ago on the stay7a, shou zanbo other than being an ungly sarsour? He didn't even murder an ant. Had you tried to rehabilitate him into a more friendly looking insect I would have considered joining your line of thought. :p
    Are we really equating human life to that of a cockroach now?
    I try as much as I can not to hurt insects, but I wouldn't lose sleep over a dead cockroach.

Also, I think your analogy is false.
    When a cockroach shows up in your apartment, it is "invading" your space and spreading disease, hence it is OK to use force to protect yourself.
    But I don't think any sane person would take up their slipper and go squashing cockroaches in the wild.
    Similarly, when a thief breaks into your house, you have every reason to defend your property.

It's when killing is unnecessary that it becomes excessive and unjustified.

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    The original post of this thread proposes capital punishment as a solution to crowded jails and as a way to save money, i'm sorry but this is absurd and, to some extent, sick!
    First we should define the problem, if in this case it's overcrowded jails then instead of killing prisoners one should look into the root cause and ask why do we have such high number of people in jails? Why is criminality on the rise? and then find solutions tailored to the root cause: what can be done to lower criminality? what is pushing few into committing crimes? etc

It's very rare in Lebanon for criminals to be sentenced to death, and the law permits it on very limited cases. The percentage of prisoners on death row is almost negligible compared to the total number of jails population. So even if you start applying this barbaric punishment you won't achieve any of the desired objectives.

The state should never kill its citizens, instead it should invest in their well being, education, economic prosperity, and help its most vulnerable to stay away from crime
    i am quite sure every penny you invest in teaching little kids at schools to respect truth, will result in ten folds of savings in the correctional and judicial system. every meditated crime that has ever been committed began with a violation of a given truth.

RMac

RMac

Orange Room Supporter
    Capital punishment does not work
    1, you can not assume that it deters because someone who is thinking of committing murder is defiantly not thinking clearly and thus is not thinking he will die if they catch him.
    2, putting someone in prison for the rest of their life is less expensive that killing him
    3, if we condemn someone to a death penalty, how does that makes us better than him?
    4, who is qualified to play god and decide who should live and who should die?
    5, people have been found out that they were innocent after they had been executed in the past.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    You? A die-hard conservative... against capital punishment?!
    I was against capital punishment when people called me a leftist and I am against it now that people call me a conservative. That's because my values come from a higher place than any of these labels.

And even if you don't believe in that higher place, there are plenty of secular arguments against capital punishment. People have already posted them.