Slavery in the Arab world

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
Well since there is a meeting of the Arab league today I thought it would be appropriate to discuss modern day slavery in the Arab world! People are being bought and sold for as little as $400 in Libya and sent to work on farms for nothing other than some water and food to keep them alive!

Ref.

Libya migrant 'slave market' footage sparks outrage - BBC News

Not to mention Mauritania who are still to this day plagued by slavery despite being the last country to abolish it in 1981!

Heyde we haven't yet discussed the rampant human trafficking of Syrian refugees in Lebanon, where women and girls (seriously, 12 years old!) are being sold by their parents, their husbands, their brothers to become sex workers...

Human rights violations have never mattered in the Arab world, certainly not for people whose culture is entirely built on discriminating against the other based on his religion, color of skin, country of origin, etc. But I still think it's unacceptable for my cat to have a better life than some of the humans living in Arabic countries!

• Advertisement
  • J

JeanLeCroisé

You should read about the Kafala system which is present in a lot of Arab countries. It doesn't involve human trafficking and the people involved in it are not bought and sold but it can be cruel and many consider it as a form of slavery:

"The system requires all unskilled laborers to have an in-country sponsor, usually their employer, who is responsible for their visa and legal status. This practice has been criticised by human rights organizations for creating easy opportunities for the exploitation of workers, as many employers take away passports and abuse their workers with little chance of legal repercussions."

In the last year or so the spotlight has been on Qatar construction workers, people have been asking Fifa to take action due to the exploitation of the workers working on the WC stadiums, you can find plenty of articles on the topic.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    You should read about the Kafala system which is present in a lot of Arab countries. It doesn't involve human trafficking and the people involved in it are not bought and sold but it can be cruel and many consider it as a form of slavery:

"The system requires all unskilled laborers to have an in-country sponsor, usually their employer, who is responsible for their visa and legal status. This practice has been criticised by human rights organizations for creating easy opportunities for the exploitation of workers, as many employers take away passports and abuse their workers with little chance of legal repercussions."

In the last year or so the spotlight has been on Qatar construction workers, people have been asking Fifa to take action due to the exploitation of the workers working on the WC stadiums, you can find plenty of articles on the topic.
    I think it's the same in Lebanon as well with domestic workers

O Brother

O Brother

Legendary Member
    Slavery exist all over the world even in the most advanced countries.
    Maybe in some of these 'advanced' countries they are not made to believe as such as they have more rights, gets paid more and so on!

Even if we let go of Libya for a moment which I agree with what is happening there is really sad but what about Lebanon your own country?
    Aren't there any slavery in Lebanon? Just look how many slavery offices exist all over the country.. there are thousands and thousands of these so called migrant domestic worker agencies..

And the prices depends on the nationalities of the person, a Filipino would cost more than Sri Lankan or Ethiopian for example!
    It is all based on racial not experiences or education or whatever.. when you are getting one you are simply renting a slave here!

So the slave market is very real in Lebanon just because you are paying about 200$ a month to the slave market it means somehow this person is not a slave but a employee!

The fact that these people do not have their own places and they do not have specific work hours and they basically are semi-owned by the ones renting them and are subjected to the cruelty of their renter is a true definition of evil slavery!

The difference here in Lebanon between maybe in what's happening in Libya is that in Lebanon they are just paid a little tiny bit more and honestly I don't believe most of these people even gets to see any of the 200$ in Lebanon.. who knows really who is behind these agencies!?

So Lebanon is not so innocent as well!

And honestly if we open the file of each country like China, USA etc you will find many unpaid labour workers who are forced to work..

So this is not exclusive to the Arab world like you are trying to paint it as!
    There are proof about how migrant workers are being abused alllllll over the world and nobody talks about it or mention it because USA is such an advanced country and no way slavery exist there!

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    lets mobilise against the dame ayrabs
    Enno you're joking enta? You think this is right?
    Shi araf w haywane aktar men hek ma ba2 fi! They're selling people in actual auctions for ****'s sake!

O Brother

O Brother

Legendary Member
    Enno you're joking enta? You think this is right?
    Shi araf w haywane aktar men hek ma ba2 fi! They're selling people in actual auctions for ****'s sake!
    Where did I say this is right?

This is not news people are being sold even rented out everyday across the whole world..
    North African regimes has been the buffer zone for western Europe for years now so what were you expecting to be happening there!?

France and others are in the middle of all this playing their dirty games with Arab/African puppet regimes as well so your France is not so innocent and far away from all this crap happening in these parts of the world!

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Where did I say this is right?

This is not news people are being sold even rented out everyday across the whole world..
    North African regimes has been the buffer zone for western Europe for years now so what were you expecting to be happening there!?

France and others are in the middle of all this playing their dirty games with Arab/African puppet regimes as well so your France is not so innocent and far away from all this crap happening in these parts of the world!
    Where the hell are there auction markets selling people in France like what's happening in Libya? Where they literally refer to people as merchandise?

Heck you posted the video yourself! Do you feel like this is something that needs to be brushed to the side and blamed on the big bad "imperialist"? When it's ****ing ingrained in Arabic culture all over the middle east! Dubai was freaking built by slaves! People with a different colored skin are paid little to no wages in Lebanon and other countries with their passports being held... Women are being sold by their parents, their husbands etc. You think this is something the big bad Americans or the french are responsible for?

O Brother

O Brother

Legendary Member
    Where the hell are there auction markets selling people in France like what's happening in Libya? Where they literally refer to people as merchandise?
    Do you need a video to believe these things are actually occurring? really?
    How do many of these same people end up in Italy, France etc? let it be in forced labour, child sex among many other horrific things?

This is a very serious subject that you can not blame it on a religion, race or ethnic group or whatever.. this is about some high level people on the top who are very powerful!

These international human trafficking rings are very real and there is no doubt that high level government officials from all over the world are involved with them!

Human trafficking is a GLOBAL ISSUE and not an exclusive Arab or Libyan issue!

You would be surprised what goes on behind closed doors in each country!

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Do you need a video to believe these things are actually occurring? really?
    How do many of these same people end up in Italy, France etc? let it be in forced labour, child sex among many other horrific things?

This is a very serious subject that you can not blame it on a religion, race or ethnic group or whatever.. this is about some high level people on the top who are very powerful!

These international human trafficking rings are very real and there is no doubt that high level government officials from all over the world are involved with them!

Human trafficking is a GLOBAL ISSUE and not an exclusive Arab or Libyan issue!

You would be surprised what goes on behind closed doors in each country!
    Blatant disregard to human rights is an Arabic issue though! These slave markets in Libya are indicative that the Arabs have absolutely no value to anyone they deem inferior! They have absolutely no problem selling people or treating them like garbage! Paying them subpar wages, holding them hostage with a bus that drives them to and from work... Never allowing them to step outside or even talk or visit their families!

Human trafficking is indeed a plague on the entire world, but it's not common practice or out in the open like it is in the Arab world! What you are doing here is dodging the blame that falls on all Arabs to avoid their real and despicable nature! I'm not blaming slavery on one race or religion, I'm blaming it on an entire culture that thinks it's okay to treat people like shit because they have a different colored skin!

If you take the Lebanese example masalan... Domestic workers are paid $200/ month if they're lucky and are being treated like shit! It doesn't matter if they are in a Muslim or Christian household, they literally have no rights! Up until their contract ends they get their passport back and are allowed to go back home! Heyde akid if they're lucky, and have not killed themselves!

O Brother

O Brother

Legendary Member
    Blatant disregard to human rights is an Arabic issue though! These slave markets in Libya are indicative that the Arabs have absolutely no value to anyone they deem inferior! They have absolutely no problem selling people or treating them like garbage! Paying them subpar wages, holding them hostage with a bus that drives them to and from work... Never allowing them to step outside or even talk or visit their families!

Human trafficking is indeed a plague on the entire world, but it's not common practice or out in the open like it is in the Arab world! What you are doing here is dodging the blame that falls on all Arabs to avoid their real and despicable nature! I'm not blaming slavery on one race or religion, I'm blaming it on an entire culture that thinks it's okay to treat people like shit because they have a different colored skin!

If you take the Lebanese example masalan... Domestic workers are paid $200/ month if they're lucky and are being treated like shit! It doesn't matter if they are in a Muslim or Christian household, they literally have no rights! Up until their contract ends they get their passport back and are allowed to go back home! Heyde akid if they're lucky, and have not killed themselves!
    Arabs got many issues but this issue is not an exclusive Arab issue that you can blame it on them all!
    In the same way the African got many issues and they basically do the same shit Arabs do shall we blame all of the Africans?

Put aside your hatred to the Arabs for a moment and do your little research about this issue here and you will see that this same shit is occurring everywhere even in the most developed countries!

The only difference between the developed and undeveloped countries is the procedure.
    Sure thing they will try to make it look like they are fighting this and all that BS but in reality there are powerful people and in many cases politicians who are making some serious money from this!

And honestly just look at how Africa is being exploited as whole by the world! You have children working in mineral mines for basically nothing! Are the Arabs to be blamed for their enslavements?

Do you think the French involvement in Mali was truly all about Boko haram? or about exploiting the country from its minerals?
    And what do you think these huge international mining companies which many of them are french owned are actually doing in these parts of the world!? spreading the love of humanity?

And all of this is happening out in the open.. people are being enslaved in front the whole world.. the question is are you looking or only that video from CNN is what count for you?

This all CONNECTED!

Last edited:
    Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    @Noborders

You are right in saying that different types of slavery exist all over the world. I would ad that even if literal slavery is not practiced in some countries, it does not mean those countries don't benefit from slavery practiced elsewhere.

What I don't understand is how you can be outraged by slavery, while adhering to a religion that explicitly condones it.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    @Noborders

You are right in saying that different types of slavery exist all over the world. I would ad that even if literal slavery is not practiced in some countries, it does not mean those countries don't benefit from slavery practiced elsewhere.

What I don't understand is how you can be outraged by slavery, while adhering to a religion that explicitly condones it.
    No one is saying that the rest of the world is all flowers and roses, human trafficking is a global epidemic, same goes for sweatshops... what is happening in the Arab world however is on an entirely different scale! Which country exactly is benefitting from selling Nigerian workers in Libya for $400 for farm work? No one is forcing the Lebanese to hire domestic workers either; if they cannot pay them decent wages and treat them like people why hire them to begin with? OR how about the mistreatment of every single human being from east Asia in Dubai? Which global corporation is benefitting from that? Other than Dubai of course!

We can always hide behind imperialism to justify slavery or rather look the other way and shift blame! But sometimes you just gotta take responsibility for what is happening! It's not Americans who are responsible for the cruel practices existent in the Arab world today, it's the Arabs themselves!

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    No one is saying that the rest of the world is all flowers and roses, human trafficking is a global epidemic, same goes for sweatshops... what is happening in the Arab world however is on an entirely different scale! Which country exactly is benefitting from selling Nigerian workers in Libya for $400 for farm work? No one is forcing the Lebanese to hire domestic workers either; if they cannot pay them decent wages and treat them like people why hire them to begin with? OR how about the mistreatment of every single human being from east Asia in Dubai? Which global corporation is benefitting from that? Other than Dubai of course!

We can always hide behind imperialism to justify slavery or rather look the other way and shift blame! But sometimes you just gotta take responsibility for what is happening! It's not Americans who are responsible for the cruel practices existent in the Arab world today, it's the Arabs themselves!
    I did not say that Westerners are responsible for slavery in the Arab world. Slavery is explicitly condoned in Islam, and way before Black people were enslaved in the U.S. , Europeans were kidnapped and enslaved by Muslims.

That being said, let's not pretend that our Western lifestyle has nothing to do with the exploitation and quasi-slavery of factory workers, among others.

O Brother

O Brother

Legendary Member
    Isn't this a form of 'Riqq'?
    Riqq? what is that?

@Noborders

I would even argue that slavery even exist in these so called developed countries like for example in the U.S. forced labour is more common than people think.

And there are many cases of big corporations being accused for it as well.
    Many Thai and others were brought to U.S. for forced labour.. so ya these things are very common all over the country!

@Noborders
    Show me a Hadith or a Surah from the Quran that says people should be enslaved!

In Islam freeing of slaves is very much encouraged and it is an act of worship that god loves!
    And this is mentioned over and over in the Quran and hadith.

There are differences by acknowledging it existence and dealing with it for sure!
    Also good treatment is encouraged with eating same food on the same table, wearing same clothing etc.

take these Hadith as example:

[article]'There are three categories of people against whom I shall myself be a plaintiff on the Day of Judgement. Of these three, one is he who enslaves a free man, then sells him and eats this money'. al-Bukhari and Ibn Majjah

Narrated Abu Musa Al-Ash'ari: "The Prophet said, 'Give food to the hungry, pay a visit to the sick and release (set free) the one in captivity (by paying his ransom).'" [/article]

You seems to believe so called ISIS and other Extremist's beliefs/opinion is to be Islam itself..

And look at this verse from NT shall we also say Christianity explicitly condones enslavement?

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.

Ephesians 6:5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    I did not say that Westerners are responsible for slavery in the Arab world. Slavery is explicitly condoned in Islam, and way before Black people were enslaved in the U.S. , Europeans were kidnapped and enslaved by Muslims.

That being said, let's not pretend that our Western lifestyle has nothing to do with the exploitation and quasi-slavery of factory workers, among others.
    Who is pretending that sweatshops are not a thing? The topic of this thread is quite specific though! It's about the mistreatment of people in the Arab world specifically! No one is saying that slavery or rather modern day slavery is exclusive to our side of the world, however it is widely tolerated even encouraged in some cases, in the Arab world! And this is the problem!

There's a difference between a society as a whole turning a blind eye to something and that same thing being done illegally without the knowledge of members of society!

The issue i have with the false equivalency created by noborders and agreed on by you is that when you shift the blame elsewhere you let the real culprits off the hook! Ie in this case the people who are running and turning a blind eye to the slave auction in Libya! We are in 2017 for crying out loud and people are still being sold in auctions without anyone in a single Arabic country condemning them!

O Brother

O Brother

Legendary Member

Do you know what the price is for a new born child in Europe today? lets say between 7000 and 10000 euros if not less!
    These things are happening all over the world you are just not looking far enough!

In the Arab world yes there are many of these same extreme cases happening at higher numbers now days specially because there is ongoing wars but again this always existed at higher numbers in other nations as well!

Just some little search on the internet will tell you that!