Slavery in the Arab world

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
Do you know what the price is for a new born child in Europe today? lets say between 7000 and 10000 euros if not less!
These things are happening all over the world you are just not looking far enough!

In the Arab world yes there are many of these same extreme cases happening at higher numbers now days specially of the ongoing wars but again this always existed at higher numbers in other nations as well!

Just some little search on the internet will tell you that!
Once again noborders there's a significant difference between something being illegal and something being legal and tolerated! Metel the domestic worker laws in Lebanon, aw the kafala system in Dubai and others! These laws are abusive and verging on slavery! Mesh enno netkhabba wara esba3na w ndell 3a Shi that is totally ****ing illegal

• Advertisement
  • Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I would even argue that slavery even exist in these so called developed countries like for example in the U.S. forced labour is more common than people think.

And there are many cases of big corporations being accused for it as well.
    Many Thai and others were brought to U.S. for forced labour.. so ya these things are very common all over the country!

Show me a Hadith or a Surah from the Quran that says people should be enslaved!

In Islam freeing of slaves is very much encouraged and it is an act of worship that god loves!
    And this is mentioned over and over in the Quran and hadith.

There are differences by acknowledging it existence and dealing with it for sure!
    Also good treatment is encouraged with eating same food on the same table, wearing same clothing etc.

take these Hadith as example:

[article]'There are three categories of people against whom I shall myself be a plaintiff on the Day of Judgement. Of these three, one is he who enslaves a free man, then sells him and eats this money'. al-Bukhari and Ibn Majjah

Narrated Abu Musa Al-Ash'ari: "The Prophet said, 'Give food to the hungry, pay a visit to the sick and release (set free) the one in captivity (by paying his ransom).'" [/article]

You seems to believe so called ISIS and other Extremist's beliefs/opinion is to be Islam itself..

And look at this verse from NT shall we also say Christianity explicitly condones enslavement?

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.

Ephesians 6:5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.
    Ugh...how did I know you were going to bring up this exact NT quote. So typical.

Notice, Jesus is not saying "it is ok to enslave people." He is saying, if you happen to be enslaved (even though you shouldn't be), continue to live according to Christian values, so that through your example, your masters might see the truth.

This is the whole point of Christian life, in fact. That no matter how bad your circumstances are, and no matter how much people hurt you, you keep loving them, you remain a good representative of Christianity, and in that way become an instrument of others' salvation. Jesus himself was tortured and crucified (which is worse than slavery), yet some of his last words were "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."

Contrast this to the following...

[article]Muslims are encouraged to live in the way of Muhammad, who was a slave owner and trader. He captured slaves in battle; he had sex with his slaves; and he instructed his men to do the same. The Quran actually devotes more verses to making sure that Muslim men know they can keep women as sex slaves (4) than it does to telling them to pray five times a day (zero).

Quran (33:50) - "O Prophet! We have made lawful to thee thy wives to whom thou hast paid their dowers; and those (slaves) whom thy right hand possesses out of the prisoners of war whom Allah has assigned to thee" This is one of several personal-sounding verses "from Allah" narrated by Muhammad - in this case allowing a virtually unlimited supply of sex partners. Other Muslims are restricted to four wives, but they may also have sex with any number of slaves, following the example of their prophet.

Quran (23:5-6) - "..who abstain from sex, except with those joined to them in the marriage bond, or (the captives) whom their right hands possess..." This verse permits the slave-owner to have sex with his slaves. See also Quran (70:29-30). The Quran is a small book, so if Allah used valuable space to repeat the same point four times, sex slavery must be very important to him. He was relatively reticent on matters of human compassion and love.

Quran (4:24) - "And all married women (are forbidden unto you) save those (captives) whom your right hands possess." Even sex with married slaves is permissible.

Quran (8:69) - "But (now) enjoy what ye took in war, lawful and good" A reference to war booty, of which slaves were a part. The Muslim slave master may enjoy his "catch" because (according to verse 71) "Allah gave you mastery over them."

Quran (24:32) - "And marry those among you who are single and those who are fit among your male slaves and your female slaves..."Breeding slaves based on fitness.

Quran (2:178) - "O ye who believe! Retaliation is prescribed for you in the matter of the murdered; the freeman for the freeman, and the slave for the slave, and the female for the female." The message of this verse, which prescribes the rules of retaliation for murder, is that all humans are not created equal. The human value of a slave is less than that of a free person (and a woman's worth is also distinguished from that of a man).

Quran (16:75) - "Allah sets forth the Parable (of two men: one) a slave under the dominion of another; He has no power of any sort; and (the other) a man on whom We have bestowed goodly favours from Ourselves, and he spends thereof (freely), privately and publicly: are the two equal? (By no means; ) praise be to Allah.'Yet another confirmation that the slave is is not equal to the master. In this case, it is plain that the slave owes his status to Allah's will. (According to 16:71, the owner should be careful about insulting Allah by bestowing Allah's gifts on slaves - those whom the god of Islam has not favored).

Islam and Slavery
    [/article]

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Who is pretending that sweatshops are not a thing? The topic of this thread is quite specific though! It's about the mistreatment of people in the Arab world specifically! No one is saying that slavery or rather modern day slavery is exclusive to our side of the world, however it is widely tolerated even encouraged in some cases, in the Arab world! And this is the problem!

There's a difference between a society as a whole turning a blind eye to something and that same thing being done illegally without the knowledge of members of society!

The issue i have with the false equivalency created by noborders and agreed on by you is that when you shift the blame elsewhere you let the real culprits off the hook! Ie in this case the people who are running and turning a blind eye to the slave auction in Libya! We are in 2017 for crying out loud and people are still being sold in auctions without anyone in a single Arabic country condemning them!
    I am not creating false equivalencies. You are assuming I am. What I'm doing is introducing nuance between your stance and that of @Noborders .

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    I am not creating false equivalencies. You are assuming I am. What I'm doing is introducing nuance between your stance and that of @Noborders .
    Never said you were I said he was creating false equivalency and you agreed with his assessment ^_^

Nuance has no place here however, when it comes to this particular subject things are black and white, there are no grey areas or anything justifying abuse... ie mesh enno because something exists elsewhere we get to escape the blame!

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Never said you were I said he was creating false equivalency and you agreed with his assessment ^_^

Nuance has no place here however, when it comes to this particular subject things are black and white, there are no grey areas or anything justifying abuse... ie mesh enno because something exists elsewhere we get to escape the blame!
    Where did I justify abuse? You need to calm down and re-read what I'm saying.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Where did I justify abuse? You need to calm down and re-read what I'm saying.
    Yeah I think it's safe to assume we are done here, you're not understanding the "nuance" in my posts ^_^

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Yeah I think it's safe to assume we are done here, you're not understanding the "nuance" in my posts ^_^
    It would be easier to understand you if you were calmer and more poised.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    It would be easier to understand you if you were calmer and more poised.
    I would thank you to delete your post and mine if it makes you feel better since it is off topic and verging on sexist insult :)

Also please read my posts again! I never said you justified abuse! All I said is that endorsed a statement out of an ill conceived sentiment to appear "nuanced" that was aimed at shifting blame and justifying abuse... See there is nuance in my posts ^_^

O Brother

O Brother

Legendary Member
    Ugh...how did I know you were going to bring up this exact NT quote. So typical.

Notice, Jesus is not saying "it is ok to enslave people." He is saying, if you happen to be enslaved (even though you shouldn't be), continue to live according to Christian values, so that through your example, your masters might see the truth.

This is the whole point of Christian life, in fact. That no matter how bad your circumstances are, and no matter how much people hurt you, you keep loving them, you remain a good representative of Christianity, and in that way become an instrument of others' salvation. Jesus himself was tortured and crucified (which is worse than slavery), yet some of his last words were "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."[/article]

It is simply saying slaves obey your masters..
    I don't mind your understanding to this all in that way but to come here and say my religion condone slavery and you claiming to adhere to the religion which fight slavery is truly laughable!

Contrast this to the following...

[article]Muslims are encouraged to live in the way of Muhammad, who was a slave owner and trader. He captured slaves in battle; he had sex with his slaves; and he instructed his men to do the same. The Quran actually devotes more verses to making sure that Muslim men know they can keep women as sex slaves (4) than it does to telling them to pray five times a day (zero).

Quran (33:50) - "O Prophet! We have made lawful to thee thy wives to whom thou hast paid their dowers; and those (slaves) whom thy right hand possesses out of the prisoners of war whom Allah has assigned to thee" This is one of several personal-sounding verses "from Allah" narrated by Muhammad - in this case allowing a virtually unlimited supply of sex partners. Other Muslims are restricted to four wives, but they may also have sex with any number of slaves, following the example of their prophet.

Quran (23:5-6) - "..who abstain from sex, except with those joined to them in the marriage bond, or (the captives) whom their right hands possess..." This verse permits the slave-owner to have sex with his slaves. See also Quran (70:29-30). The Quran is a small book, so if Allah used valuable space to repeat the same point four times, sex slavery must be very important to him. He was relatively reticent on matters of human compassion and love.

Quran (4:24) - "And all married women (are forbidden unto you) save those (captives) whom your right hands possess." Even sex with married slaves is permissible.

Quran (8:69) - "But (now) enjoy what ye took in war, lawful and good" A reference to war booty, of which slaves were a part. The Muslim slave master may enjoy his "catch" because (according to verse 71) "Allah gave you mastery over them."

Quran (24:32) - "And marry those among you who are single and those who are fit among your male slaves and your female slaves..."Breeding slaves based on fitness.

Quran (2:178) - "O ye who believe! Retaliation is prescribed for you in the matter of the murdered; the freeman for the freeman, and the slave for the slave, and the female for the female." The message of this verse, which prescribes the rules of retaliation for murder, is that all humans are not created equal. The human value of a slave is less than that of a free person (and a woman's worth is also distinguished from that of a man).

Quran (16:75) - "Allah sets forth the Parable (of two men: one) a slave under the dominion of another; He has no power of any sort; and (the other) a man on whom We have bestowed goodly favours from Ourselves, and he spends thereof (freely), privately and publicly: are the two equal? (By no means; ) praise be to Allah.'Yet another confirmation that the slave is is not equal to the master. In this case, it is plain that the slave owes his status to Allah's will. (According to 16:71, the owner should be careful about insulting Allah by bestowing Allah's gifts on slaves - those whom the god of Islam has not favored).

Islam and Slavery
    [/article]

And here we go.. I can also google "Evil Slavery in NT and OT" then post it all here!
    at least if you want to post these verses post them without some wrong and hateful interpretations.

I'm telling you as Muslims we are encouraged to free the slaves and this is mentioned over and over in both the quran and hadith..

لَّيْسَ الْبِرَّ أَن تُوَلُّواْ وُجُوهَكُمْ قِبَلَ الْمَشْرِقِ وَالْمَغْرِبِ وَلَـكِنَّ الْبِرَّ مَنْ آمَنَ بِاللّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الآخِرِ وَالْمَلآئِكَةِ وَالْكِتَابِ وَالنَّبِيِّينَ وَآتَى الْمَالَ عَلَى حُبِّهِ ذَوِي الْقُرْبَى وَالْيَتَامَى وَالْمَسَاكِينَ وَابْنَ السَّبِيلِ وَالسَّآئِلِينَ وَفِي الرِّقَابِ وَأَقَامَ الصَّلاةَ وَآتَى الزَّكَاةَ وَالْمُوفُونَ بِعَهْدِهِمْ إِذَا عَاهَدُواْ وَالصَّابِرِينَ فِي الْبَأْسَاء والضَّرَّاء وَحِينَ الْبَأْسِ أُولَـئِكَ الَّذِينَ صَدَقُوا وَأُولَـئِكَ هُمُ الْمُتَّقُونَ

2:177. Godliness and virtue is not that you should turn your faces in the direction of the east and west; but he is godly and virtuous who believes in God and the Last Day, the angels, the Book, and the Prophets, and gives away of his property with pleasure, although he loves it, to relatives, orphans, the destitute, the wayfarer, and those who have to beg (or who need a loan), and for the liberation of slaves, and establishes the Prayer and pays the Prescribed Purifying Alms. And those (are godly and virtuout) who fulfill their covenant when they have engaged in a covenant, and who are patient and persevering in misfortune, hardship, and disease, and at the time of stress (such as a battle between truth and falsehood). Those are they who are true (in their faith), and those are they who have achieved righteousness, piety, and due reverence for God.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I don't mind your understanding to this all in that way but to come here and say my religion condone slavery and you claiming to adhere to the religion which fight slavery is truly laughable!
    This is not my interpretation. It is the interpretation of the Catholic Church established by Christ himself.

And here we go.. I can also google "Evil Slavery in NT and OT" then post it all here!
    at least if you want to post these verses post them without some wrong and hateful interpretations.

I'm telling you as Muslims we are encouraged to free the slaves and this is mentioned over and over in both the quran and hadith..

لَّيْسَ الْبِرَّ أَن تُوَلُّواْ وُجُوهَكُمْ قِبَلَ الْمَشْرِقِ وَالْمَغْرِبِ وَلَـكِنَّ الْبِرَّ مَنْ آمَنَ بِاللّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الآخِرِ وَالْمَلآئِكَةِ وَالْكِتَابِ وَالنَّبِيِّينَ وَآتَى الْمَالَ عَلَى حُبِّهِ ذَوِي الْقُرْبَى وَالْيَتَامَى وَالْمَسَاكِينَ وَابْنَ السَّبِيلِ وَالسَّآئِلِينَ وَفِي الرِّقَابِ وَأَقَامَ الصَّلاةَ وَآتَى الزَّكَاةَ وَالْمُوفُونَ بِعَهْدِهِمْ إِذَا عَاهَدُواْ وَالصَّابِرِينَ فِي الْبَأْسَاء والضَّرَّاء وَحِينَ الْبَأْسِ أُولَـئِكَ الَّذِينَ صَدَقُوا وَأُولَـئِكَ هُمُ الْمُتَّقُونَ

2:177. Godliness and virtue is not that you should turn your faces in the direction of the east and west; but he is godly and virtuous who believes in God and the Last Day, the angels, the Book, and the Prophets, and gives away of his property with pleasure, although he loves it, to relatives, orphans, the destitute, the wayfarer, and those who have to beg (or who need a loan), and for the liberation of slaves, and establishes the Prayer and pays the Prescribed Purifying Alms. And those (are godly and virtuout) who fulfill their covenant when they have engaged in a covenant, and who are patient and persevering in misfortune, hardship, and disease, and at the time of stress (such as a battle between truth and falsehood). Those are they who are true (in their faith), and those are they who have achieved righteousness, piety, and due reverence for God.
    The most the above shows is that the koran is inconsistent. What you're quoting here does not remove the parts I quoted in my previous post, and which clearly condone slavery.

Try to find quotes by Jesus instructing people to become slave owners, as opposed to instructing existing slaves on how to be good Christians. You will fail.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I would thank you to delete your post and mine if it makes you feel better since it is off topic and verging on sexist insult :)
    There are no insults, nor a hint of sexism in what I said. It would apply just as well if you were a man.

Also please read my posts again! I never said you justified abuse! All I said is that endorsed a statement out of an ill conceived sentiment to appear "nuanced" that was aimed at shifting blame and justifying abuse... See there is nuance in my posts ^_^
    If you're aware that I'm not justifying abuse, then you should be aware that I am not endorsing a statement that was aimed at justifying abuse.

I am simply saying that there is partial truth in what @Noborders said. That, however, does not negate the issues you brought up regarding slavery in the Arab world.

My aim was to have @Noborders see beyond his partial truths, and embrace the full truth.

None of it has anything to do with you, in fact; nor was I objecting to your stances.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    There are no insults, nor a hint of sexism in what I said. It would apply just as well if you were a man.
    So you would tell a man that he needs to calm down when he hasn't shown a hint of anger and that he should be poised? And you don't see what's verging on sexist in this statement? That's amazing ^_^

If you're aware that I'm not justifying abuse, then you should be aware that I am not endorsing a statement that was aimed at justifying abuse.

I am simply saying that there is partial truth in what @Noborders said. That, however, does not negate the issues you brought up regarding slavery in the Arab world.
    had you said this in the first post I quoted this entire discussion would have been done! See i don't disagree that there are plenty of stuff to be outraged about in the world and not once did I claim that slavery is limited to the Arab world... What I was objecting to is this stuff being brought up in this particular thread!

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    So you would tell a man that he needs to calm down when he hasn't shown a hint of anger and that he should be poised?
    Of course I would.

And you don't see what's verging on sexist in this statement? That's amazing ^_^
    No, I don't see it.

had you said this in the first post I quoted this entire discussion would have been done! See i don't disagree that there are plenty of stuff to be outraged about in the world and not once did I claim that slavery is limited to the Arab world... What I was objecting to is this stuff being brought up in this particular thread!
    Had you not taken the liberty to misinterpret my intentions and the meaning of my posts, we would "have been done" as well. But you are often quick to react in frustration before attempting to understand what someone is actually saying.

Muki

Muki

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Do you know what the price is for a new born child in Europe today? lets say between 7000 and 10000 euros if not less!
    These things are happening all over the world you are just not looking far enough!

In the Arab world yes there are many of these same extreme cases happening at higher numbers now days specially because there is ongoing wars but again this always existed at higher numbers in other nations as well!

Just some little search on the internet will tell you that!
    You need to start citing sources [...]

O Brother

O Brother

Legendary Member
    My aim was to have @Noborders see beyond his partial truths, and embrace the full truth.
    And you know what the full truth?

what partial truth and what full truth are you even talking about?

The whole point you wanted to make that my religion condone slavery and it took Christianity 2000 years to realize that Jesus was against slavery :lol:

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    And you know what the full truth?

what partial truth and what full truth are you even talking about?

The whole point you wanted to make that my religion condone slavery and it took Christianity 2000 years to realize that Jesus was against slavery :lol:
    The whole point I wanted to make is that you often express good values (such as opposing slavery); yet, you passionately follow and promote an ideology that teaches opposite values.

Again, if you want to compare Islam and Christianity, give me one example of Jesus instructing people to become slave owners, the way Muhammad did.

Apostate

Apostate

Your will, my hands.
    Orange Room Supporter

No as muslims you're not encouraged to free slaves. You're just encouraged to free your fellow muslims had they been slaves. If they're Kuffar, they can be enslaved as much as you want.

Actions speak louder than words, Mohammad enslaved whole tribes in his wars if they rejected Islam. One of his wives, Safiyya, was taken as prisoner in a war, her husband was killed in battle, and Mohammad married her directly since he liked her (he didn't even wait for her "40 days" , what do they call it? 3eddeh?) - w tab3an hadeha lal islem. lol

Molk al yamin is well known in Quran, there are no disputes between those who interpret it that it refers to owning people.

@Indie Of course you will find contradictions in the Quran. And not only contradictions. There is infisam shakhsiye.

That is partly due to the mood of Mohammad. Since verses were coming depending on the situation. When he was weak, naturally the verses would be calling for peace. However, once he got some power, the content started getting violent. You should also pay attention to the dating of the verses, since there is something called "Naskh" which means the newer verses renders the old ones non-applicable.

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    No as muslims you're not encouraged to free slaves. You're just encouraged to free your fellow muslims had they been slaves. If they're Kuffar, they can be enslaved as much as you want.

Actions speak louder than words, Mohammad enslaved whole tribes in his wars if they rejected Islam. One of his wives, Safiyya, was taken as prisoner in a war, her husband was killed in battle, and Mohammad married her directly since he liked her (he didn't even wait for her "40 days" , what do they call it? 3eddeh?) - w tab3an hadeha lal islem. lol

Molk al yamin is well known in Quran, there are no disputes between those who interpret it that it refers to owning people.

@Indie Of course you will find contradictions in the Quran. And not only contradictions. There is infisam shakhsiye.

That is partly due to the mood of Mohammad. Since verses were coming depending on the situation. When he was weak, naturally the verses would be calling for peace. However, once he got some power, the content started getting violent. You should also pay attention to the dating of the verses, since there is something called "Naskh" which means the newer verses renders the old ones non-applicable.
    it is normal that practicing muslems will not readily agree on such claims. i am quite sure that there is an internal struggle experienced by many to come to terms with the apparent contradictions, and they usually go through several stages, anger, denial, etc... at the end of which some do indeed reach acceptance.

slavery in general and mulk el yameen in particular are not a hidden secret in the quran, they are an integral part of the original practices of islam and clearly articulated in the quran. still it is definitely much easier for many to overlook these contradictions rather than the reassess what they consider to be a central truth around which their whole life and their whole universe evolves.

it is only recently, in the last few years, that these questions began being addressed in a critical fashion around the globe, consequently the next decade is going to be crucial for islam, especially now that information about any subject is readily and freely available around the globe. i do not think that islamic scripture and theology could address the load of questions that are beginning to arise, consequently a wave of cruel atheism will soon shake and redefine the arab world in particular, the signs of which are already beginning to emerge.

there are really not many options going forward, either rewrite the theology and discard part of the scriptures to iron out all the contradictions, or collapse. already many muslems have discarded what used to be unquestionable references which includes hundreds, if not thousands of a7adeeth that until a few years ago were considered as sa7i7; but ever with that there is still no solid theology in place, one that is smooth in truth and completeness, that could become the foundation of a modern reading of the faith.

O Brother

O Brother

Legendary Member
    The whole point I wanted to make is that you often express good values (such as opposing slavery); yet, you passionately follow and promote an ideology that teaches opposite values.

Again, if you want to compare Islam and Christianity, give me one example of Jesus instructing people to become slave owners, the way Muhammad did.
    You don't even know what specific ideology I follow!

I don't want to compare anything but I can tell you that your approach to Islam and the Quran is radically different from mine!
    You take your understanding of Islam from anti Islamic media/websites and from extremist groups.

We understand and look to things differently from each others! I can tell you that I as a Muslim is against slavery and Islams teaches me this and how to deal with it humanly!

For centuries Christians didn't oppose slavery and accepted it as a very common thing now the vast majority hold different view to it all and I believe that is a step forward that everyone should follow despite all its history that we can find in all religion, cultures, societies etc.

But also in reality things are very different... the enslavement of people is still a ongoing thing all over the world.. maybe the methods changed to be more deceptive or lets say more of self deceptive as well..if yesterday it was happening out in the open today it is still happening underground and under different labels!

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    You don't even know what specific ideology I follow!

I don't want to compare anything but I can tell you that your approach to Islam and the Quran is radically different from mine!
    You take your understanding of Islam from anti Islamic media/websites and from extremist groups.

We understand and look to things differently from each others! I can tell you that I as a Muslim is against slavery and Islams teaches me this and how to deal with it humanly!

For centuries Christians didn't oppose slavery and accepted it as a very common thing now the vast majority hold different view to it all and I believe that is a step forward that everyone should follow despite all its history that we can find in all religion, cultures, societies etc.

But also in reality things are very different... the enslavement of people is still a ongoing thing all over the world.. maybe the methods changed to be more deceptive or lets say more of self deceptive as well..if yesterday it was happening out in the open today it is still happening underground and under different labels!
    then it should be easy for you to name a single principal historical islamic religious reference in the explanation of the quran that does not endorse a very direct form of slavery? mulk yameen, etc...