Votes: 18 13.0%
  • Banning Smoking in Public Places

Votes: 120 87.0%

• Total voters
Jo

Jo

Administrator
Master Penguin
Lebanon, as any country in the world, has a multitude of public places.

Most frequented public places include cafes, restaurants, buses, taxis, offices, hospitals and the like...

Many Lebanese are smokers.

They also like to smoke at home or in public places.

Now is the issue: Should smokers be allowed to smoke in public places? Does X have the right to enjoy his/her cigarette whenever they feel like it or should they care about the non-smokers sitting next to them?

How do you feel about this issue? Regardless if you're a smoker or not, you could have an opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Kakou

Kakou

I am not a smoker, but I respect the smokers and know that they cannot stop! But I think that they also have to respect the ones who get disturbed, and do it elsewhere!!

I think that, in public places, smoking couldn't be forbidden by respect for the smokers! BUT they should do it in a SMOKERS' CORNER! I mean that, in each public place, a corner should be reserved to the smokers who won't be able to smoke OUT of IT!!

Dry Ice

Dry Ice

Legendary Member
    I am not a smoker, but I respect the smokers and know that they cannot stop! But I think that they also have to respect the ones who get disturbed, and do it elsewhere!!

I think that, in public places, smoking couldn't be forbidden by respect for the smokers! BUT they should do it in a SMOKERS' CORNER! I mean that, in each public place, a corner should be reserved to the smokers who won't be able to smoke OUT of IT!!
    Good suggestion Kakou, so you're basically saying that there should be a special smoking corner and a non-smoking section; what if an outlet cannot provide such a choice, what is to be done in this case?

Tartaruga

Tartaruga

I guess smoking in public should be banned!

I'm a non-smoker and I feel very uncomfortable and not at ease when I smell smoke..
    My parents are smokers and we got in fight many times because of that, I can't stand to be in a public place and have someone sitting on my table and smoking in my face, or even at university...etc the one who's smoking is free to do whatever he wants, smoking or not smoking is his own problem, but the main problem resides in the smoke of the cigarette and what's called "fumeur passif" which get every non-smoker involved too whether he liked it or not! Is this possible? Is this doable? Aren't these direct violations of one's freedom?

I guess it's somewhat related to respect of the others, maybe before one smokes he should ask if someone minds or not... there are many ways to prevent what's happening (we already have smoking areas in some of the restaurants and cafes)

Other thing, maybe banning smoking in public places can help prevent spreading smoking habits

anyway, I guess it's a very important topic, i'll be definitely waiting for the replies

Kakou

Kakou

Good suggestion Kakou, so you're basically saying that there should be a special smoking corner and a non-smoking section; what if an outlet cannot provide such a choice, what is to be done in this case?
    What? I'm in a TEST?? Why are you trying to make it hard to me????:huh:
    I was just trying to find a solution, without hurting the smokers!! They need our respect and understanding and maybe that way we can help them to STOP!! I am against smoking in the public places (because I am suffering from this at work- Everybody here smoke toooooooooooooo much and I had enough!), for sure, but this couldn't happen as quick as we want because people need to get used to!!
    I already voted, but I think that we should give them a little time to decrease their smoking level, in order to be able to wait until they go HOME!!

Dry Ice

Dry Ice

Legendary Member
    What? I'm in a TEST?? Why are you trying to make it hard to me????:huh:
    I was just trying to find a solution, without hurting the smokers!! They need our respect and understanding and maybe that way we can help them to STOP!! I am against smoking in the public places (because I am suffering from this at work- Everybody here smoke toooooooooooooo much and I had enough!), for sure, but this couldn't happen as quick as we want because people need to get used to!!
    I already voted, but I think that we should give them a little time to decrease their smoking level, in order to be able to wait until they go HOME!!
    Are you telling me that a smoker cannot go outside if he/she has an urge for a ciggie? :smile:

Mey

Mey

I am definitly for banning smoking in public places. Second hand smoking is dangerous and those non-smokers do not have to bear the effects because someone felt like having a cigarette.

Now instead of totally banning smoking, I prefer if they create sections like they have here in some places. Sections for Smokers, others for non-smokers.

I also suggest that Cabs in Lebanon start advocating whether they allow smoking or not, I definitly would not like to get into a cab that allows smoking, because it is a killer trust me.

Dry Ice

Dry Ice

Legendary Member
    ...euh!! good then!! UNLESS OUTSIDE is considered a public place!:wink:
    believe it or not, in some countries it is considered as such and smoking has been banned in places like public parks or bus stops

Kakou

Kakou

believe it or not, in some countries it is considered as such and smoking has been banned in places like public parks or bus stops

Yes I know, and that's why I gave the remark!! An employee should wait nine hours + 1 hour (going and coming back)= 10 hours before getting a "ciggie" as you call it!! I know that this is what should be done!! But I just suggest that this decision won't be taken IMMEDIATELY! I repeat that we have to give them the chance to get used to!! EVEN if I personally want this to happen right NOW!!
    Au secours, J'ةTOUFFE!!

mo781

mo781

As a smoker I say no smoking in public places unless it's a bar or a club with ventilation.

di

di

Im a smoker and say no smoking in public places coz some people may have asthma or an allergy against smoking ..I think us smokers can go outside and smoke in the open air .. unless theres a special corner for smokers ..As for cabs and buses yes they should definetley banned smoking !!

Inanna

Inanna

i hate smoking especially in public places, cos u ended up harming people and bothering them!
    i hate it when people sometime get along with the smoking issue and you feel that the're this close to put the cigarette in your eyes 3a shwe!

lady_forever

lady_forever

I am a heavy smoker yet i voted for banning cigarettes in public places as kids and elders and sick people should not bare our cigarettes and have to inhale the nicotine and get it in their lungs we chose to smoke so we should smoke in open spaces...in Italy you pay 50 Euros if caught smoking in closed places no matter where..so while i was there i reduced smoking lots as wasnt pleasant to keep going out to puff one so its a way also to help addicted people to cig to cut down on smoking and even to buy a packet of cig there its about 4 euros so you count twice before you lit your cig so its also a way to help us smoke less i wonder why here cig are almost for free when essential things like food and medicines are very expensive while little tax on cig..i think that they encourage people to smoke in this way and wanna get rid of us in a way or another..hehe kidding but i wonder why?????

none

none

i do smoke everywhere but i m with "Banning Smoking in Public Places" maybe like that i ll smoke less and for the reason that not everyone is obliged to smell the smoke i m smelling

Faithful

Faithful

I am not a smoker and I am with "Banning smoking in All Public Places". :thumbup:
    I hate the smell of the cigarettes, It really bothers me b7iss 7ali ra7 ikhtini2 especially in a closed place.
    At work for example they smoke cigarettes , pipes and CIGAR - this one makes me suffer from a headache all the day till i go home - i don't know but i feel like i am taking some drugs. :eek: :w00t:
    If smoking makes them feel good, it really makes me feel very bad and some times very angry :devil2:

Mey

Mey

For those who voted to allow smoking in public places, may they give us their reasoning ? The discussion can really make us learn a lot.

lady_forever

lady_forever

For those who voted to allow smoking in public places, may they give us their reasoning ? The discussion can really make us learn a lot.
    well can i tell you why as i am smoker and people who smoke are addicted to it though i didnt vote for smoking in public places..but i might tell you why..once i was in Italy there you cant smoke not even in restaurants sipping wine listening to music once you are a smoker u enjoy it..then every time and then u have to go out to puff one which irritates you in a way...and when you are having coffe you have the urge to smoke and as you cant do that it also makes you angry so in a way you feel selfish and angry as you cant smoke as it pleases you..i guess you dont smoke thats why you cant understand how others feel when they cant smoke wherever they are

Dry Ice

Dry Ice

Legendary Member
    well can i tell you why as i am smoker and people who smoke are addicted to it though i didnt vote for smoking in public places..but i might tell you why..once i was in Italy there you cant smoke not even in restaurants sipping wine listening to music once you are a smoker u enjoy it..then every time and then u have to go out to puff one which irritates you in a way...and when you are having coffe you have the urge to smoke and as you cant do that it also makes you angry so in a way you feel selfish and angry as you cant smoke as it pleases you..i guess you dont smoke thats why you cant understand how others feel when they cant smoke wherever they are
    Familiar with:

Your freedom ends where my nose begins

It is OK for you to be annoyed by not smoking in a public place, however it is NOT OK for you to annoy someone else by smoking in front of him/her.

Elyane El Helou

Elyane El Helou

That is exactly why Lebanon has the highest death rate of Lung cancer in the world
    Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.

Cancers seen and recorded between 1983 and 1995 in the Hospital Tumor Registry at the American University of Beirut Medical Center (AUBMC), one of the largest primary and tertiary care hospitals in Lebanon, were retrospectively reviewed and analyzed. There was a total of 10,220 cases, excluding 916 skin cancers other than skin melanoma, averaging 786 cases per year. There were 5086 cancer cases in males with the five most common cancers being: lung cancer (915 cases: 17.9%) Lung cancer in males is the most common cancer in Lebanon. These cancers are amenable to prevention (cigarette cessation and anti-smoking campaigns for lung cancer) and early detection.

Lebanon, as any country in the world, has a multitude of public places.

Most frequented public places include cafes, restaurants, buses, taxis, offices, hospitals and the like...

Many Lebanese are smokers.

They also like to smoke at home or in public places.

Now is the issue: Should smokers be allowed to smoke in public places? Does X have the right to enjoy his/her cigarette whenever they feel like it or should they care about the non-smokers sitting next to them?

How do you feel about this issue? Regardless if you're a smoker or not, you could have an opinion.
    Lung cancer in Lebanon. Experience at the l'Hotel-Dieu de France in Beirut][Article in French]
    Khayat G, Riachi M, Aoun-Bacha Z, Khoury F.
    Service de Pneumologie, Hotel-Dieu de France, Beyrouth, Liban.

All lung cancer cases admitted in our hospital from the 1st of January 1979 to the 31st of December 1995 were reviewed to allow for the study of the "behaviour" of the disease in Lebanon. A total of 386 cases included 87.5% males and 12.5% females. Mean age was 60 years. 87.3% were smokers. Squamous cell carcinoma was the most frequent histologic type (37.3%) and predominant in men. Adenocarcinoma was more frequent in women (50% v/s 29.9%). Patients often consulted their physician after delays of several months. Diagnosis is commonly confirmed by bronchoscopy. Transthoracic needle aspiration has become, since 1990, a very useful procedure for diagnosis of peripheral lesions with a sensitivity of 90.6%. Metastases are recorded in 30.9% of cases. Histological type distribution and advanced cancer stages found in our study are similar to that encountered in extensive international studies over the last few decades.

Last edited by a moderator: