Software Updates

I

IA64

My little review on lastpass is it's probably the best firefox/ie addon ever been made, lastpass basically stores all your logins online in one place instead of your PC, that way you are fully protected from pass stealers and having your passwords compromised, with lastpass you can login from any other pc with the addon on and you won't have to type any password again, all you need is to enter One master-pass and it will give you access to all of your other passwords instantly.

Product review on firefox page:
LastPass is a free online password manager and Form Filler that makes your web browsing easier and more secure. LastPass supports IE and Firefox as Plugins (Opera, Safari, Chrome, iPhone, Opera Mini via Bookmarklets), allows you to import from every major password storage vendor and export too, captures passwords that other managers won't including many AJAX forms, and allows you to make strong passwords easily. Your sensitive data is encrypted _locally_ before upload so even LastPass cannot get access to it. One Time Passwords & Screen Keyboard help protect your master password.

You can download it from Here
I wonder if it is really safe to put all your credentials/accounts username and password on an external server. Compromising the server will bring disasters.

• Advertisement
  • a59

a59

I wonder if it is really safe to put all your credentials/accounts username and password on an external server. Compromising the server will bring disasters.
    That's true but they are as safe as many big sites out there like facebook or hotmail in terms of password storing and handling.

Check out the Technology they use.
    Their servers support an advanced premium feature, biometrically authenticate via fingerprint if you have a laptop with a fingerprint reader.

I

IA64

That's true but they are as safe as many big sites out there like facebook or hotmail in terms of password storing and handling.

Check out the Technology they use.
    Their servers support an advanced premium feature, biometrically authenticate via fingerprint if you have a laptop with a fingerprint reader.
    Indeed. But hotmail, facebook or similar services accounts are not as important as for example E-banking accounts.

The idea that a company offering a free service has access to all your accounts by itself is freaky. Just like logmein, company that has access to millions of computers.

I don't know if I am exaggerating, I am not paranoid but thinking of the consequences, it does not worth taking the risk. However, I wont deny it, it's a nice addon as long as you use it for email/free service accounts.

NMA

NMA

The best is Xmarks

Not only does it save your passwords ( you can uncheck this option ) but it basically stores all your bookmarks on a remote server and it auto synchronizes on all your PCs ( with the addons installed ).

So it's like taking all your bookmarks, passwords with you wherever you go.

It's the first addon I install after firefox.

Danny Z

Danny Z

Legendary Member
    Indeed. But hotmail, facebook or similar services accounts are not as important as for example E-banking accounts.

The idea that a company offering a free service has access to all your accounts by itself is freaky. Just like logmein, company that has access to millions of computers.

I don't know if I am exaggerating, I am not paranoid but thinking of the consequences, it does not worth taking the risk. However, I wont deny it, it's a nice addon as long as you use it for email/free service accounts.
    yeah logmein scares me it even more because it does not charge anything. There are company who do the same but charge you at least you know they're after your money, but logmein are not after your money they do this service for free, so it really scares me to know they have access to my computer. But again my ISP does the same, well almost the same.
    For those who want to save their passwords and bookmarks and all without giving them to anybody, use the firefox internal password management system and then back up your account with FEBE, truecrypt the FEBE file and sync to an FTP or put it on USB key or whatever. I find it just stupid to have password to end up giving them to somebody you don't know, just because we don't know him but he has a server.

Kingroudy

Kingroudy

I will give 5 more Google Wave invitations to the first 5 people who SEND ME a PM (PRIVATE MESSAGE) containing their EMAIL ADDRESSES.

a59

a59

Check out This tiny application It's called "Everything" and it can find anything you look for on your system in a millisecond, 1000 times faster than the typical windows search option.
    *For better performance use the 'exclude' option and isolate the Windows folder from your folders to look for list, guaranteed it will blow you away :thumbup1:

H

Holaco

Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0

Download
    Mozilla Thunderbird - Reclaim Your Inbox

What’s New In Thunderbird 3?

* Tabs and Search
    * Customize Your Email Experience
    * Easier to Get Started

Tabs and Search

If you like Firefox’s tabbed browsing, you’re going to love tabbed email. Thunderbird 3’s tabbed email lets you load emails in separate tabs so you can quickly jump between them.
    Search results open in a new tab too. New tools like our timeline and filtering tools will help you pinpoint the email you’re looking for, whether it’s the one from yesterday, last month, or several years ago.
    Learn More

LebReporter

LebReporter

Dropbox

Well most lebanese live outside lebanon and they have problems sharing or getting stuff with there family at home.

So this program which i did test and enjoyed using provides u 2 gb free which allow you to make folders on ur computer and share those folders with anyone u want.

For example:
    1- folder i shared with my family in lebanon
    2- folder i shared with my brother in bahrain
    3- folder i shared with my sister in germany
    4- folder i shared with my designer in poland

Also if you have more then 1 OS on your computer or more then computer home and u dont want to make network between them or u dont know how.

Just download program login with same username pass and it will open all folders on any OS, computer u own.

How it work? just drag the file u want into the folder and it will be directly on the folder u shared it with.

P.S. you can share same folder with more then one person.

Also if you refer it you will get 0.25 gb free

here is my referal hope you use mine but i dont mind if you dont my post here to help those who live outside to share stuff with family in lebanon knowing connection there sucks and big files take time.

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTQ1NDY1OTA5

F

freelebanonn

Legendary Member
    do u know anysite where i can contact someone outside leb ( usa for example) for free on their phone?. i was using ticknring.com but now its not working anymore.

LebReporter

LebReporter

Well i use on my linux OS evolution which is an email program similar to outlook less bugged and safer to use against hacks.

there is windows and mac version

you can simply google evolution windows or evolution mac

for windows the url is Evolution for Windows

thugilex

thugilex

CCleaner 2.29.1111 Released

CCleaner (**** Cleaner) is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less than a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware!

Changes in 2.29.1111:

* Improved speed when loading Cleaner screen.
    * Improved Registry Cleaner speed when displaying issues.
    * Improved Registry Cleaner performance when fixing issues.
    * Changed Wipe MFT Free Space to run before Wipe Disk Free Space.
    * Improved Include and Exclude screen when browsing for folders and files.
    * Added Recursive support to Custom folders in Include screen.
    * Added support to specify multiple file types for Custom folders in Include screen and INI files.
    * Improved how Language Resource DLLs are loaded into memory.
    * Improved application detection algorithm.
    * Improved internal communication between process threads.
    * Improved file scanning when scanning system folders.
    * Improved Windows 7 and IE8 support.
    * Minor GUI text changes.

News source: Official website
    Download: CCleaner 2.29.1111

thugilex

thugilex

Windows XP 0-day flaw: remote code execution, exploit released!

It is possible to invoke winhlp32.exe from Internet Explorer 8,7,6 using VBScript. Passing malicious .HLP file to winhlp32 could allow remote attacker to run arbitrary command. Additionally, there is a stack overflow vulnerability in winhlp32.exe.
    To trigger vulnerability some user interaction is needed, victim has to press F1 when MsgBox popup is displayed.

AFFECTED software: Windows XP SP3
    NOT affected: Vista, Windows 7

This is a simple demo (Proof of Concept): IE8, IE7 XP MsgBox PoC

==> yet another reason to upgrade to Vista/7

thugilex

thugilex

Microsoft Security Essentials 1.0.1961.0 Released

Microsoft Security Essentials (codenamed Morro) is a free antivirus software created by Microsoft that provides protection against viruses, spyware, rootkits, and trojans for Windows XP, Vista, and 7. Microsoft has always recommended that its users use real-time antimalware protection, but the release by the end of this year will mark the company's first free solution. MSE replaces Windows Live OneCare — a subscription antivirus service — and Windows Defender, which only protects users from adware and spyware.
    MSE is a small-footprint program ideal for computers that lack processing power or broadband Internet connections, such as netbooks. MSE is available as standalone 32-bit and 64-bit downloads for Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. It's very easy to install Security Essentials using it is even easier than one might expect.

Updates and upgrades are automatic, so there's no need to worry about having the latest protection. It's easy to tell if you're protected – when the Security Essentials icon is green, your status is good. It's as simple as that.

Microsoft touts five features of Microsoft Security Essentials:
    • Remove most-prevalent malware
    • Remove known viruses
    • Real-time anti-virus protection
    • Remove known spyware
    • Real-time anti-spyware protection

Product Info l Download: Microsoft Security Essentials