News South Africa votes to seize land from white farmers

Isabella

The Queen Of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
So the south African parliament has just voted with an overwhelming majority to seize land from white farmers without compensation.

South Africa votes to seize land from white farmers

I get the basics for this decision given the fact that even after white minority rule ended over south Africa and it turned into a democratic nation on paper, in reality the vast majority of its profitable estates were still owned by white people, lands that were acquired after black people were stripped of their rights to own land in their own native country!

i'm just not really sure how this will evolve in the future when you have some headlines like this little gem from the daily mail:

White South African farmers to be removed from their land | Daily Mail Online

But I also see the other side in this, how can you take someone's source of income since we are talking about white farmers in particular here without compensation and in the same breath talk about fairness?

I don't know will try to keep this thread updated with news and whatnot if this story keeps making headlines

• Advertisement
  • Muki

Orange Room Supporter
    At least they warned the farmers who can now act in face of impending total loss: cut all production, sell all equipment, sell or slaughter all livestock, and leave. Half a million whites have left SA in past 2 decades.

Zimbabwe tried this. It ended in disaster and the country hasn't recovered yet. Whoever is pushing this through SA Parliament is SA's Trump, Frange, Le Pen. These good for nothing populists who care about getting votes and their own popularity over the people they are supposed to work for. If you're a poor black person in SA, why wouldn't you support this measure? Who cares if you're gunna suffer long-term... "Expropriation without compensation" sounds and feels good... like your dignity back as you starve to death in your new farm.

Isabella

The Queen Of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    At least they warned the farmers who can now act in face of impending total loss: cut all production, sell all equipment, sell or slaughter all livestock, and leave. Half a million whites have left SA in past 2 decades.

Zimbabwe tried this. It ended in disaster and the country hasn't recovered yet. Whoever is pushing this through SA Parliament is SA's Trump, Frange, Le Pen. These good for nothing populists who care about getting votes and their own popularity over the people they are supposed to work for. If you're a poor black person in SA, why wouldn't you support this measure? Who cares if you're gunna suffer long-term... "Expropriation without compensation" sounds and feels good... like your dignity back as you starve to death in your new farm.
    They're saying it's too early to compare the situation in SA to Zimbabwe, apparently there it was more like a land grab whereas in SA they're changing the constitution?

I don't know, however this cannot be legal under current internarional laws, acquired lawfully or not at this point I think this is just racism with no added benefit.. can this vote be overturned in courts in SA? I'll probably look this up later anyway lol!

walidos

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I think this is a massive mistake.. the coloured society in South Africa was raped at the time of apartheid, but since they took power, have been raping the non black community - if you have South African friends they can tell you: racist tensions have never been so high! And now this... they need to find a more fair way to redistribute farm lands and the wealth of the state without any single group feelinit is being shat on

Muki

Orange Room Supporter
    They're saying it's too early to compare the situation in SA to Zimbabwe, apparently there it was more like a land grab whereas in SA they're changing the constitution?

I don't know, however this cannot be legal under current internarional laws, acquired lawfully or not at this point I think this is just racism with no added benefit.. can this vote be overturned in courts in SA? I'll probably look this up later anyway lol!
    In essence, SA and Zimbabwe will work out the same regardless of mechanism they used to get there. Some owners won't vacate without violence, so they'll be evicted by police. Constitutional amendment or not, SA are committing "land grab" as well.

I don't know about SA legal system, but I for damn sure know whoever proposed this policy is not interested in solving the problem. There is a myriad of options that can be taken before something extreme as "expropriation without compensation" to remedy landownership problem.

Muki

Orange Room Supporter
    I think this is a massive mistake.. the coloured society in South Africa was raped at the time of apartheid, but since they took power, have been raping the non black community - if you have South African friends they can tell you: racist tensions have never been so high! And now this... they need to find a more fair way to redistribute farm lands and the wealth of the state without any single group feelinit is being shat on
    Populists are not interested in solving this problem. Their solution of choice is testament to that! Flame racial wars against wealthy white land owners and in that dichotomy you forced, you line up generations of poor black folks to vote for you.

I would've started government agriculture programs to train poor black folks in farming practices. Second, I would lobby government to buy land and turn it into agricultural farms, and employ newly trained people. I would incentivize ownership of land and help blacks buy land. Will they solve problem? Maybe not as fast or as swiftly as "expropriation without compensation", but they also come with none of the unintended consequences.

Nonan

Populists are not interested in solving this problem. Their solution of choice is testament to that! Flame racial wars against wealthy white land owners and in that dichotomy you forced, you line up generations of poor black folks to vote for you.

I would've started government agriculture programs to train poor black folks in farming practices. Second, I would lobby government to buy land and turn it into agricultural farms, and employ newly trained people. I would incentivize ownership of land and help blacks buy land. Will they solve problem? Maybe not as fast or as swiftly as "expropriation without compensation", but they also come with none of the unintended consequences.
    Agree with the above. As an interim solution, maybe they can rent big boats and use them as agricultural land :)...

So the south African parliament has just voted with an overwhelming majority to seize land from white farmers without compensation.

South Africa votes to seize land from white farmers

I get the basics for this decision given the fact that even after white minority rule ended over south Africa and it turned into a democratic nation on paper, in reality the vast majority of its profitable estates were still owned by white people, lands that were acquired after black people were stripped of their rights to own land in their own native country!

i'm just not really sure how this will evolve in the future when you have some headlines like this little gem from the daily mail:

White South African farmers to be removed from their land | Daily Mail Online

But I also see the other side in this, how can you take someone's source of income since we are talking about white farmers in particular here without compensation and in the same breath talk about fairness?

I don't know will try to keep this thread updated with news and whatnot if this story keeps making headlines
    Israel must do the same to Palestinian Arabs.

Indie

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    It's their country and they can do what they want, but this will have no positive impact on the lives of South Africans.