STL funding

what would be your cast if this referendum took place ? (STL Funding)

• Total voters

eLad

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
i believe that STL funding by the lebanese government should put to a national referendum

Since this is not a political issue and sects rights are not endangered by this decision people should have the final say in this matter because after all they will all be paying for it from their own pocket no matter what their religion or their sect is.

what would be your cast if this referendum took place? and why?

X

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
I have no problem if Lebanon/the Lebanese want to fund the STL, just don't freaking charge me, i don't give a freaking **** about Rafik el Hariri and his death, so 7ello 3anni.

Those who want to fund it, collect a donation or something and fund it, ya khaye give the STL more than what they want, give them all your money for all i care, but do not freaking charge me, do not fund it from my own tax money

Shuyu3i

Let the clowns that stole OUR money and placed us outside the country that we love pay for it. The government nor the people should pay for such a scam.

My Moria Moon

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
The STL has become for the Lebanese what cigarettes are for a smoker: Slow and lengthy suicide for which one pays for on a daily basis.

Joe tayyar

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Funding or not funding, The STL meshyeh fina w balena, Im not a fool to believe that the STL will stop if we dont fund it, its under the 7th term, and not signed by the president of the republic.

There are lots of countries that are still interested in the STL, so let them fund it.
We have Shoukran Qatar.
Shoukran Kuwait.
Shoukran KSA.
Soukran etc..
3eyshin 3al sh7adeh, nothing will change if we begged for more...hehe

fidelio

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Funding or not funding, The STL meshyeh fina w balena, Im not a fool to believe that the STL will stop if we dont fund it, its under the 7th term, and not signed by the president of the republic.

There are lots of countries that are still interested in the STL, so let them fund it.
We have Shoukran Qatar.
Shoukran Kuwait.
Shoukran KSA.
Soukran etc..
3eyshin 3al sh7adeh, nothing will change if we begged for more...hehe

It's not the funding that matters but the decision. Miqati wants to save face in front of the "white man" and keep an image of an obedient fellow. Too much at stake for him. Not for everybody else though.

This is why Aoun told him to go fund himself, er, fund it out of his own pocket.

elias-aj

Legendary Member
Just for the record and in order to consider the different options (noting that I'm not quite sure whether the Government should pay or not the next installment), there's a precedent created by no one else but the US, that is the well-known case of the US arrears issues with the UN.

Here's a Wikipedia excerpt about this issue (United States and the United Nations) :

"The UN has always had problems with members refusing to pay the assessment levied upon them under the United Nations Charter. But the most significant refusal in recent times has been that of the U.S. Since 1985 the U.S. Congress has refused to authorize payment of the U.S. dues, in order to force UN compliance with U.S. wishes, as well as a reduction in the U.S. assessment.[13]

After prolonged negotiations, the U.S. and the UN negotiated an agreement whereby the United States would pay a large part of the money it owes, and in exchange the UN would reduce the assessment rate ceiling from 25% to 22%. The reduction in the assessment rate ceiling was among the reforms contained in the 1999 Helms-Biden legislation, which links payment of $926 million in U.S. arrears to the UN and other international organizations to a series of reform benchmarks.[citation needed]

U.S. arrears to the UN currently total over $1.3 billion. Of this, $612 million is payable under Helms-Biden. The remaining $700 million result from various legislative and policy withholdings; at present, there are no plans to pay these amounts.[citation needed]

Under Helms-Biden, the U.S. paid $100 million in arrears to the UN in December 1999; release of the next $582 million awaits a legislative revision to Helms-Biden, necessary because the benchmark requiring a 25 percent peacekeeping assessment rate ceiling was not quite achieved. The U.S. also seeks elimination of the legislated 25 percent cap on U.S. peacekeeping payments in effect since 1995, which continues to generate additional UN arrears. Of the final $244 million under Helms-Biden, $30 million is payable to the UN and $214 million to other international organizations.[citation needed]"

The point is that the US, taking into consideration their own national interests, decided to stop the due payments to the UN in order to negotiate another agreement.

Well, in case the Lebanese authorities decide to get some inspiration from the US precedent, I'm wondering who will cast the first stone...

Qandahar

Legendary Member
Well the 8 March alliances brought down the Hariri government because he refused to stop the fund and because of the “false witnesses”

So far it seems like the current government wont do the job it was meant to do.

As for national referendum I don't think Lebanon will ever have such thing.

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
Rule of law and deterrence from political assassinations contribute to paving a path to sovereignty. It is worth every penny. All of you blabbing against international justice were asking for it before Hariri's assassination and shortly after his assassination. You ladies and gentlemen are a bunch of politicized hypocrites.

Dirty Dragon

The act of not funding the STL is purely symbolic, and doesn't make sense if Mikati and his government aren't officially in confrontation with the STL. As everyone knows his position is not the same of HA's position which is more confrontational. If it is a deliberate ploy, then fund it by all means. If Mikati wouldn't have it any other way, as he is not politically capable to challege Hariri for the premiership and at the same time enter in a confrontation with the STL, then it also makes sense to fund it for now until Mikati is politically strong enough to enter in a confrontation publically. Funding or not funding the STL is dictated by Mikati government's overall dealing with the STL.

neutral

Legendary Member
شدّدت مصادر الأكثرية النيابية على انّها "لا تمانع على الاطلاق أن يموّل رئيس الحكومة نجيب ميقاتي المحكمة الدولية من جيبه الخاص"، وقالت: "لا مشكلة معه نتيجة تصاريحه الاخيرة من التمويل طالما مواقفنا واضحة بهذا الخصوص بأننا لن نموّل ولكن في حال كان يريد أن يأخذ مبادرة فردية فلا مانع لدينا".

fidelio

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
The act of not funding the STL is purely symbolic, and doesn't make sense if Mikati and his government aren't officially in confrontation with the STL. As everyone knows his position is not the same of HA's position which is more confrontational. If it is a deliberate ploy, then fund it by all means. If Mikati wouldn't have it any other way, as he is not politically capable to challege Hariri for the premiership and at the same time enter in a confrontation with the STL, then it also makes sense to fund it for now until Mikati is politically strong enough to enter in a confrontation publically. Funding or not funding the STL is dictated by Mikati government's overall dealing with the STL.

No ploy is necessary. It is only reasonable for the Lebgov to be suspicious of the STL and its procedures since its track record is obviously riddled with question marks.
A normal statesman, regardless of his international connections, would simply send the STL or the UN a detailed report of the STL' trajectory from the lebgoc pov. It would include questions and demands clarifications on poignant issues that the STL is yet to answer. Wait for answers then decide accordingly.
Why fund something that is at least questionable before clearing any doubts a lot of citizens have?

Abou Sandal

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
I wouldn't pay for it even if I wanted or accepted it, or considered it legal or legitimate at the first place. At this price, even a blind man can see a scam.

shadow1

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Rule of law and deterrence from political assassinations contribute to paving a path to sovereignty. It is worth every penny. All of you blabbing against international justice were asking for it before Hariri's assassination and shortly after his assassination. You ladies and gentlemen are a bunch of politicized hypocrites.

Oh please! Get down from your ivory tower. Justice is a privilege not a right in the real world. Hariri's murder happened too long ago and I am struggling to have the slightest interest in it.

The christians dont care except nkeyeh bi Aoun. The shia would rather you not mention it. the sunnis do nkeyeh bi shia. So I say use the money to build a big dam in Akkar to improve the livelihood of those wretched people who live there and I am sure, if they know what is good for them, they will either not care or would rather forget about it.

All your assertions that the truth would lead to a better world do not work in societies built on deception.