OR Candidates StopWorryingLoveTheBomb for Moderator

StopWorryingLoveTheBomb's Election Promises New
Dr. Eggnog

Dr. Eggnog

Nuclear Egg Expert
Orange Room Supporter
Hello!

No matter how you look at it, there's no denying that Lebanon is in a very difficult spot right now. Corruption, protests, financial disaster, Christmas in T-shirt and shorts... It's enough to make you want to cry into your bowl of Nido and Poppins cereal every morning. Everyone is so depressed these days that talking politics runs a high risk of turning your friends and family into enemies, let alone people who are a bit more distant.

This is a shame, I think. Just as Lebanon is teetering on the edge of the abyss, it's also teetering on the edge of real, positive change. In this crucial period, people should be talking more, not less. Communities should be opening up to others, not regressing deeper into the confines that have been imposed on us, and that have arguably led us to where we are now.

I'm obviously not very good at cutting to the chase, but I'll try to do so now: I think this forum is pretty great, and I want to contribute to it by joining the moderating team. In a political climate loaded with uncertainty and fear, Oroom continues to provide a safe space to debate, discuss and argue for people who clearly care very much about the country. Of course, Oroom is not perfect. Things sometimes get out of hand, which is to be expected when dealing with the roller-coaster we're all on. Tempers flare, people get hurt, and we're all the worse for it whether we realize it or not.

I want to try and help with that. Here's what you might call my "campaign" promises:

-Fulfill my moderator duties to keep discussions respectable, but without blunting the edge of heated debate. We're not only here to hug, kiss and make friends - we're also here to lock horns and challenge our ideas and those of others. Moderating this requires a careful touch, a fact that is made painfully clear in Oroom's conduct guidelines. Also, some users who have been on the receiving end of deletions and bans feel hard done by it. I'd like to try and address that by being as consistent as possible, as transparent as possible, and as open to reconsideration as possible in the case of injustice. I won't always get it right, but I'll try my best to learn and improve.
-Improve the quality of content, and the quality of interaction. This sounds more ambitious than it actually is. For one, I'd like to allow thread creators the ability to edit their opening posts indefinitely, in the hope of granting greater flexibility to the type of content that can be created. Another thing I'd like to do is maintain weekly/biweekly general discussion threads with broad titles that allow users to engage in freer discussion with less risk of going off-topic and with less resulting clutter to more dedicated threads. Finally, I'd like to add one or two more "reactions" options that allow a wider range of negative feedback. You read that correctly. Right now, you can only show anger ? or make a joke ? out of someone's post. I'm hoping adding a face-palm ?‍♂ reaction or a disappointed ? reaction can add a bit more constructive nuance - we sometimes need to be politely disapproved of to snap out of it.
-Find ways to combat misinformation and targeted trolling, in addition to preventing important information becoming buried in noise. This one's the ambitious one. To be honest, this is something I'm hoping further discussion with outgoing and incoming moderators will help manage. It's something that is certainly not unique to this forum, but that is a problem I'd love to help solve if there's anything I can do at all.

Anyway, I'm gonna keep it at that. I promise to try my best to be always available no matter what happens in the coming months, be it in the country or in my personal life. Finally, I'd love for these points to be adopted by a worthier candidate if I fail to be voted in. Thanks for reading, and good luck to everyone!

Oh, and one more thing: I promised @Muki I'd shorten my username. I'd like to add that here ta 2ellak enno manne nese. :p Also, neither Nido nor Poppins sponsored this post.

• Advertisement
  • XMyso

XMyso

Orange Room Supporter
    -Find ways to combat misinformation and targeted trolling, in addition to preventing important information becoming buried in noise. This one's the ambitious one. To be honest, this is something I'm hoping further discussion with outgoing and incoming moderators will help manage. It's something that is certainly not unique to this forum, but that is a problem I'd love to help solve if there's anything I can do at all.
    Not a fan of more moderation and censorship.
    Reddit VS 4chan. You end up finding smarter ideas and discussions on 4Chan although its full of nonsense and shitposts.
    When you force people to behave in a certain way, you alienate and close doors on many smart people.

But still a very viable candidate.

Dr. Eggnog

Dr. Eggnog

Nuclear Egg Expert
    Orange Room Supporter
    Not a fan of more moderation and censorship.
    Reddit VS 4chan. You end up finding smarter ideas and discussions on 4Chan although its full of nonsense and shitposts.
    When you force people to behave in a certain way, you alienate and close doors on many smart people.

But still a very viable candidate.
    I agree with you regarding censorship. Ideally, any approach would be to promote healthier, unmoderated discussion and not to force a "right" way of interacting on the forum. I'd say a completely unmoderated free-for-all would be just as detrimental to discussion as a censorship-happy approach.

Moderation does not have to be direct, and it doesn't always have to be in the form of deletion or suppression. Sometimes, an inoffensive tag can do the trick, to signify the absence of a clear source (in the case of "masader") or when the reference is a tweeted opinion, for example. It's something to be discussed, anyway.

loubnaniTO

loubnaniTO

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    Hello!

No matter how you look at it, there's no denying that Lebanon is in a very difficult spot right now. Corruption, protests, financial disaster, Christmas in T-shirt and shorts... It's enough to make you want to cry into your bowl of Nido and Poppins cereal every morning. Everyone is so depressed these days that talking politics runs a high risk of turning your friends and family into enemies, let alone people who are a bit more distant.

This is a shame, I think. Just as Lebanon is teetering on the edge of the abyss, it's also teetering on the edge of real, positive change. In this crucial period, people should be talking more, not less. Communities should be opening up to others, not regressing deeper into the confines that have been imposed on us, and that have arguably led us to where we are now.

I'm obviously not very good at cutting to the chase, but I'll try to do so now: I think this forum is pretty great, and I want to contribute to it by joining the moderating team. In a political climate loaded with uncertainty and fear, Oroom continues to provide a safe space to debate, discuss and argue for people who clearly care very much about the country. Of course, Oroom is not perfect. Things sometimes get out of hand, which is to be expected when dealing with the roller-coaster we're all on. Tempers flare, people get hurt, and we're all the worse for it whether we realize it or not.

I want to try and help with that. Here's what you might call my "campaign" promises:

-Fulfill my moderator duties to keep discussions respectable, but without blunting the edge of heated debate. We're not only here to hug, kiss and make friends - we're also here to lock horns and challenge our ideas and those of others. Moderating this requires a careful touch, a fact that is made painfully clear in Oroom's conduct guidelines. Also, some users who have been on the receiving end of deletions and bans feel hard done by it. I'd like to try and address that by being as consistent as possible, as transparent as possible, and as open to reconsideration as possible in the case of injustice. I won't always get it right, but I'll try my best to learn and improve.
    -Improve the quality of content, and the quality of interaction. This sounds more ambitious than it actually is. For one, I'd like to allow thread creators the ability to edit their opening posts indefinitely, in the hope of granting greater flexibility to the type of content that can be created. Another thing I'd like to do is maintain weekly/biweekly general discussion threads with broad titles that allow users to engage in freer discussion with less risk of going off-topic and with less resulting clutter to more dedicated threads. Finally, I'd like to add one or two more "reactions" options that allow a wider range of negative feedback. You read that correctly. Right now, you can only show anger ? or make a joke ? out of someone's post. I'm hoping adding a face-palm ?‍♂ reaction or a disappointed ? reaction can add a bit more constructive nuance - we sometimes need to be politely disapproved of to snap out of it.

Anyway, I'm gonna keep it at that. I promise to try my best to be always available no matter what happens in the coming months, be it in the country or in my personal life. Finally, I'd love for these points to be adopted by a worthier candidate if I fail to be voted in. Thanks for reading, and good luck to everyone!

Oh, and one more thing: I promised @Muki I'd shorten my username. I'd like to add that here ta 2ellak enno manne nese. :p Also, neither Nido nor Poppins sponsored this post.
    i like what i am reading...

loubnaniTO

loubnaniTO

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    I agree with you regarding censorship. Ideally, any approach would be to promote healthier, unmoderated discussion and not to force a "right" way of interacting on the forum. I'd say a completely unmoderated free-for-all would be just as detrimental to discussion as a censorship-happy approach.

Moderation does not have to be direct, and it doesn't always have to be in the form of deletion or suppression. Sometimes, an inoffensive tag can do the trick, to signify the absence of a clear source (in the case of "masader") or when the reference is a tweeted opinion, for example. It's something to be discussed, anyway.
    good.
    as a veteran mod/admin/commoner, i have always advised new mods to apply forum rules and use the mod tools only when absolutely necessary... but use them nevertheless when needed.

loubnaniTO

loubnaniTO

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    yea and change your name... not because it is too long and difficult for @Muki to digest :lol:
    change it because it violates forum rules, it calls for violence, and for that you are now banned for 2 years.
    GOOD LUCK WITH THE ELECTIONS

Re: Reviving the Cultural Forums New
    Dr. Eggnog

Dr. Eggnog

Nuclear Egg Expert
    Orange Room Supporter
    Are you going to make watching Dr Strangelove compulsory?
    What an excellent idea. I'll add it to the manifesto.

In all seriousness, though, I have been considering the issue brought up yesterday by @Picasso in the elections announcement thread concerning the dearth of non-political discussion on the forum. I cannot but agree with him: this forum would only benefit from more engagement in topics related not only to social sciences, philosophy and the arts, but also to sports, film, music and video game culture. Anything the members of our community feel passionate about, really, and are excited to share with others.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that simply creating and maintaining threads might not be enough in itself. The answer, I think, is not only to encourage people to talk about their hobbies, but to provide a way to get people both familiar and unfamiliar with those subjects involved on a more interactive level. A couple of ideas come to mind. A weekly cineclub/book club, maybe, or organized events of some sort. Anyway, it's something I'd be excited to push for personally. If we can somehow capture the attention and imagination of a few people here, I'm sure we can revive that part of the forum together.

The_FPMer

The_FPMer

What an excellent idea. I'll add it to the manifesto.

In all seriousness, though, I have been considering the issue brought up yesterday by @Picasso in the elections announcement thread concerning the dearth of non-political discussion on the forum. I cannot but agree with him: this forum would only benefit from more engagement in topics related not only to social sciences, philosophy and the arts, but also to sports, film, music and video game culture. Anything the members of our community feel passionate about, really, and are excited to share with others.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that simply creating and maintaining threads might not be enough in itself. The answer, I think, is not only to encourage people to talk about their hobbies, but to provide a way to get people both familiar and unfamiliar with those subjects involved on a more interactive level. A couple of ideas come to mind. A weekly cineclub/book club, maybe, or organized events of some sort. Anyway, it's something I'd be excited to push for personally. If we can somehow capture the attention and imagination of a few people here, I'm sure we can revive that part of the forum together.
    The book club has been tried years before, it didn't work.

How will you combat the growing popularity of r/Lebanon?

IsaBells

IsaBells

All the jingle ladies, put your hands up!
    Orange Room Supporter

Oh please one visit there and you understand why this is a better place ?

The_FPMer

The_FPMer

Oh please one visit there and you understand why this is a better place ?
    I'm there daily and many like there. What advantage does this forum has? Maybe it can be accentuated?

It's no secret that Reddit delivered a big blow to forums worldwide.

IsaBells

IsaBells

All the jingle ladies, put your hands up!
    Orange Room Supporter
    I'm there daily and many like there. What advantage does this forum has? Maybe it can be accentuated?

It's no secret that Reddit delivered a big blow to forums worldwide.
    Advantage is the quality of content, and the inclusion of discussion that surpasses article titles and quick pics. I visited r/Lebanon frequently for a while it was all look at this look at that, get angry at this, be happy with that. Very superficial at best. Of course we have a lot of trolls and one liners here as well, but we do have some valuable discussions going on in parallel. There it's a lot more rare and it's a lot harder to keep up. Plus it seems like they do their best there to kiss Israel and other Arab countries' asses. They do regular crossposting and almost on a weekly basis there's a thread with the sole intention of saying hey Israel look at us we're so nice to you ?

Dr. Eggnog

Dr. Eggnog

Nuclear Egg Expert
    Orange Room Supporter

I'm not gonna lie - I'm not a big fan of r/Lebanon. The level of toxicity there is insane. Maybe that's only a reflection of the times we're in right now... You know better than I do.

I don't think we should ignore r/Lebanon, but I don't think it is something we need to "combat" either. Right now, it's a bit of an echo chamber. As it gets more popular and more diverse, it'll forcibly grow more mature. Maybe Oroom could engage with it then, as a less volatile and more sophisticated alternative (I'm aware of how pretentious that sounds, but there it is).

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure most Reddit users would feel at home here, just as most Twitter users likely wouldn't. It's an entirely different style of discussion - more deliberate, and in longer form. Maybe making Oroom more newbie-friendly can help migrating users with the transition and convince them to stick around. As long as Oroom's values remain intact, I don't see the issue.

The_FPMer

The_FPMer

I'm not gonna lie - I'm not a big fan of r/Lebanon. The level of toxicity there is insane. Maybe that's only a reflection of the times we're in right now... You know better than I do.

I don't think we should ignore r/Lebanon, but I don't think it is something we need to "combat" either. Right now, it's a bit of an echo chamber. As it gets more popular and more diverse, it'll forcibly grow more mature. Maybe Oroom could engage with it then, as a less volatile and more sophisticated alternative (I'm aware of how pretentious that sounds, but there it is).

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure most Reddit users would feel at home here, just as most Twitter users likely wouldn't. It's an entirely different style of discussion - more deliberate, and in longer form. Maybe making Oroom more newbie-friendly can help migrating users with the transition and convince them to stick around. As long as Oroom's values remain intact, I don't see the issue.
    How will you make it more newbie-friendly?

Dr. Eggnog

Dr. Eggnog

Nuclear Egg Expert
    Orange Room Supporter
    How will you make it more newbie-friendly?
    Well, that's part of your campaign, not mine! I just think it's a great idea, and you have my support on the matter.

Okay, maybe I'm avoiding the question a bit. I haven't thought about it in depth, to be honest. I don't think Oroom is especially hostile to newbies, but it can look pretty "hardcore" to outsiders - it did to me, before I finally made an account.

LVV

LVV

Hello!

I respect your candidacy and your person

The_FPMer

The_FPMer

Well, that's part of your campaign, not mine! I just think it's a great idea, and you have my support on the matter.

Okay, maybe I'm avoiding the question a bit. I haven't thought about it in depth, to be honest. I don't think Oroom is especially hostile to newbies, but it can look pretty "hardcore" to outsiders - it did to me, before I finally made an account.
    Kif ya3ne hardcore? Ana I lurked for years until I finally made an account as well. If we can trace that reason, nullify it, the forum would gain more members and Jo will fill his pockets with more $ : P