Syrian rule... was it better?

mrsrx

mrsrx

Newish Member
Orange Room Supporter
In no shape way or form i am here to defend what the Syrian regime did in Lebanon up until 2005. We were oppressed beaten and stolen from and used as a pawn and money machine! We were on the streets getting beaten looking for a better future and independence.

13 years later, a few wars in, Syria's destruction and different geopolitical landscape i am wondering what could have been back then if the status quo stayed in place. As i lookback and maybe i was younger and did not see what was happening even though i got beaten myself in several demonstrations.
Our economy seems to be worse than ever - This can be blamed on 2006 war and Syria's crisis
We did not make any headway in fighting corruption...
We are still struggling to build a representative electoral law that makes zou3im el day3a important (talking about sot el tofdile)
HA seems to be stronger than ever and Berri controlling way more than he used to
Extremism is higher (can be chalked to a world problem)
Our army does not seem to be making headway into modernization
We lost our already bad public transport (the ja7sh el dawle which i used a lot as well as hariri red busses which was not public but not bad ma3 el zammour 3al 7able)

I have not seen what we were fighting for happen and it seems to me in some areas it has gotten from bad to worse. Granted we were able to shield ourselves from the Syrian massacres to some degree but what else did we do?
I am not blaming any political party but just wondering was it better?!

Would like your input/experience/knowledge on what has happened since including the growth from 2006 to 2010 in many sectors. I do not have anything close to enough information or input to judge our performance considering the circumstances

I feel like we failed ourselves ...it has been 13 years!

• Advertisement
  • JeanH

JeanH

Orange Room Supporter
    nothing is better when you have an abou che7ata army on your territories, i didn't even finish reading it , freedom is not free

Skunk

Skunk

Orange Room Supporter
    In no shape way or form i am here to defend what the Syrian regime did in Lebanon up until 2005. We were oppressed beaten and stolen from and used as a pawn and money machine! We were on the streets getting beaten looking for a better future and independence.

13 years later, a few wars in, Syria's destruction and different geopolitical landscape i am wondering what could have been back then if the status quo stayed in place. As i lookback and maybe i was younger and did not see what was happening even though i got beaten myself in several demonstrations.
    Our economy seems to be worse than ever - This can be blamed on 2006 war and Syria's crisis
    We did not make any headway in fighting corruption...
    We are still struggling to build a representative electoral law that makes zou3im el day3a important (talking about sot el tofdile)
    HA seems to be stronger than ever and Berri controlling way more than he used to
    Extremism is higher (can be chalked to a world problem)
    Our army does not seem to be making headway into modernization
    We lost our already bad public transport (the ja7sh el dawle which i used a lot as well as hariri red busses which was not public but not bad ma3 el zammour 3al 7able)

I have not seen what we were fighting for happen and it seems to me in some areas it has gotten from bad to worse. Granted we were able to shield ourselves from the Syrian massacres to some degree but what else did we do?
    I am not blaming any political party but just wondering was it better?!

Would like your input/experience/knowledge on what has happened since including the growth from 2006 to 2010 in many sectors. I do not have anything close to enough information or input to judge our performance considering the circumstances

I feel like we failed ourselves ...it has been 13 years!
    No way...

I blame all the problems on Taef
    The system needs changing and constitution needs rewriting
    It’s a matter of time till people start realizing it

mrsrx

mrsrx

Newish Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    nothing is better when you have an abou che7ata army on your territories, i didn't even finish reading it , freedom is not free
    I agree freedom is not free and i am not saying it was better...just saying we have failed ourselves in the last 13 years as things are still spiraling down and it is on us more than anyone else

Aoune32!

Aoune32!

Yes the syrian regime was better. The Lebanese taught them how to steal, rob and lie to get the job done not the other way around. We have failed as a people to see what is the best interest of our country. It is always what is the best interest of others.
    Anyway let the Lebanese suffer for their stupidity.

Nasser

Nasser

Staff member
    I tend to feel it wouldn't have made a difference had the Syrians stayed or left... like you would have got beaten by Syrian moukhabarat when you do or talk anything anti-Syrian, now you would get beaten even in a worse way by thugs if you do or talk anything against thugs leaders... What the syrians were stealing, now those zo3ama are stealing...same shit difference faces.
    We're still not free, and we're still not independent.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Blame the people, not the government. The latter is just a representation of the former.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Staff member
    I tend to feel it wouldn't have made a difference had the Syrians stayed or left... like you would have got beaten by Syrian moukhabarat when you do or talk anything anti-Syrian, now you would get beaten even in a worse way by thugs if you do or talk anything against thugs leaders... What the syrians were stealing, now those zo3ama are stealing...same shit difference faces.
    We're still not free, and we're still not independent.
    Certainly you would agree that theres an extra layer of moral humiliation when one had to stop at a syrian checkpoint and present their papers that at least is gone.

Their stooges are all still in place sadly, but that one’s on us and us alone.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I don't like colonialism, but what we promised ourselves was a big lie. No way we would have done that bad under the French, right?

manifesto

manifesto

Yes. Unfortunately, I think Aoun will be remembered as the most "overhyped" president in Lebanese history.
    Most overpromising and underdelivering.

zero

zero

Certainly you would agree that theres an extra layer of moral humiliation when one had to stop at a syrian checkpoint and present their papers that at least is gone.

Their stooges are all still in place sadly, but that one’s on us and us alone.
    :lol: who is "us"? you mean the people fighting to put Irslein and Franjieh in the govt?

mrsrx

mrsrx

Newish Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I don't like colonialism, but what we promised ourselves was a big lie. No way we would have done that bad under the French, right?
    It is not about whose rule it is. Look at the french old colonies they are not doing pretty well....look at the current DOM-TOMs (french guyana, mayottes, réunion....) some are in worse shape than us.
    It is us who changed our status from occupied territory to a failed nation!

HannaTheCrusader

HannaTheCrusader

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    no it wasnt better
    cause the syrians oppressed us politically and looted and so did their Lebanese tools

today, tayyar managed to reduce the loot and get back a lot of our christian rights
    maybe the snnis, shia and druze and some zhummes like farngieg, hareb and murr longs to the syrian boots

BUT WE DONT

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    It is not about whose rule it is. Look at the french old colonies they are not doing pretty well....look at the current DOM-TOMs (french guyana, mayottes, réunion....) some are in worse shape than us.
    It is us who changed our status from occupied territory to a failed nation!
    Fouad Chehab said it once, we are not willing to build a state.

Nonan

Nonan

Here is one suggestion. There is Facebook group called “la guerre du Liban au jour le jour” or something like that. It scans and posts daily Lorient le Jour from 40 years ago, plus some news videos, etc.

I suspect none of you here remember that period (or a small number). Even I wasn’t crystal clear on the chain of events that led from Syrians being welcomed to turning into violent occupying forces killing civilians by the dozens...
    It tells the story of Fiyadieh, Ehden, 100 days, etc. But more importantly, it gives the context and one can better understand how events happened, and more dramatically, how our leaders failed us due to their pettiness, corruption and in some cases outright treason.
    @Jo, not sure if there is an easy way for this forum to either collaborate with that page or at least funnel the info here.

Extremely valuable educational tool

L

Libanes

No way...

I blame all the problems on Taef
    The system needs changing and constitution needs rewriting
    It’s a matter of time till people start realizing it
    100% - the prerogatives of the President were stripped away and instead given to the Prime Minister. The solution is basic - DISARM everyone, beginning with the Palestinians and Hezbollah, power back to the Presidency.