• Hello Guest

Please bear with us! The Orange Room is being restructured.

Informational TED Talks that you like

• Advertisement
  • Isabella

The Queen Of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    I absolutely love Brian Greene! I've read the elegant universe when I was in school and it's partly why I studied physics!

He is the epitome of "if you can't explain something to a 6 year old you don't understand it yourself!" The guy can and did explain string theory, one of the most complex theories in modern physics today to a massive audience (1.2 million I think lol) he's the very definition of a public intellectual

Last edited:

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    i like brian green and have read many of his books, he does a good job explaining things out.

but he is quite pathetic when it comes to facing why the universe we live in is so fine tuned. he assumes there are an infinity of other imaginary universes to explain the infinitesimal probabilities for the balanced existence of our own rather than contemplate, for a second, the possibility that this universe is created as such.

this is an escape from reality. the irony strikes much harder as many atheists use the word "imaginary" so sarcastically.. and yet this is become the trend. the infinitesimal probability for a fine tuned universe, multiplied by the infinitesimal probability for information based protein protocols, multiplied by the infinitesimal probability of life, etc... we are talking now 1 in 10^(many thousands).

anyway, despite the fact that i like brian green as aforementioned, this is no longer science.

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    i like brian green and have read many of his books, he does a good job explaining things out.

but he is quite pathetic when it comes to facing why the universe we live in is so fine tuned. he assumes there are an infinity of other imaginary universes to explain the infinitesimal probabilities for the balanced existence of our own rather than contemplate, for a second, the possibility that this universe is created as such.

this is an escape from reality. the irony strikes much harder as many atheists use the word "imaginary" so sarcastically.. and yet this is become the trend. the infinitesimal probability for a fine tuned universe, multiplied by the infinitesimal probability for information based protein protocols, multiplied by the infinitesimal probability of life, etc... we are talking now 1 in 10^(many thousands).

anyway, despite the fact that i like brian green as aforementioned, this is no longer science.
    this is revolves around the String Theory whom he is one of its proponents.
    As you already know the idea of a multiverse is based on the mathematic model of the theory which does not work unless with 10 dimensions of space and one dimension of time.
    String Theory scientists like Brian Green, Michio Kacku and others were hoping that LHC will be able to prove it, but so far it didn't.
    Probably the technology is not ready yet.

But if you go back in time 300 years and you tell the top scientists in that era that at one time any person in the street will be able to see and talk with any other person thousands of KMs away and the tool to do that is called a smart-phone, they will laugh at you.

My personal opinion on String Theory is simply wait and see (not to mention and I am not that deep into its details), some like Neil Degrasse Tyson is already making fun of the theory, citing that theories of Einstein were proven in a matter of 5 years where the String theory is still unproven for several decades.
    It might be seen weird at first, but if you look at the double slit experiment which is still unsolved even today (a Nobel prize is waiting for the one who can solve it) you will find that there are still plenty of scientific subjects that relate more to fiction than reality.

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    this is revolves around the String Theory whom he is one of its proponents.
    As you already know the idea of a multiverse is based on the mathematic model of the theory which does not work unless with 10 dimensions of space and one dimension of time.
    String Theory scientists like Brian Green, Michio Kacku and others were hoping that LHC will be able to prove it, but so far it didn't.
    Probably the technology is not ready yet.

But if you go back in time 300 years and you tell the top scientists in that era that at one time any person in the street will be able to see and talk with any other person thousands of KMs away and the tool to do that is called a smart-phone, they will laugh at you.

My personal opinion on String Theory is simply wait and see (not to mention and I am not that deep into its details), some like Neil Degrasse Tyson is already making fun of the theory, citing that theories of Einstein were proven in a matter of 5 years where the String theory is still unproven for several decades.
    it is not about the time, it is rather about the principle. if for instance we are attempting to find the correlation between a planet and the star it is orbiting, the solution is not to say that in a multi-dimensional model where parameters change from one universe to the other there are worlds where planets do not orbit stars and stars do not congregate in galaxies. problem solved. and this does not relate to string theory in general, but rather to the specific interpretation related to the fine tuning of the universe we live in, to claim this universe is a fine tuned because we live in a probabilistic anomaly (1 / 100000.....(thousands of zeros)...0000000) is an escape from reality.

though it is a given that we are going to hit a brick wall as we are part of the universe we are attempting to quantify and describe because a closed system cannot demonstrate its own consistency.

It might be seen weird at first, but if you look at the double slit experiment which is still unsolved even today (a Nobel prize is waiting for the one who can solve it) you will find that there are still plenty of scientific subjects that relate more to fiction than reality.
    it is not exactly unsolved. we know what is going on and we can even quantify the output. we just do not understand precisely how consciousness affects the physical world and how they are correlated.

Iron Maiden

Her Royal Brincess
    Staff member
    Not really a Ted, but an interview with a quircky man that has som out of the box theories about physics and the universe

@Isabella if u het the time tell us what u think abt his janus theory

@LVV he talks about the new russian weapons tech, u might enjoy it

Its in french :)