• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Terror watch.

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
Somalia's death toll now at 358 after truck bombing



MOGADISHU, Somalia (AP) -- Thousands of anguished Somalis gathered to pray Friday at the site of the country's deadliest attack, while the toll rose to 358 and dozens remained missing. Somalia's president will announce a "state of war" against the al-Shabab extremist group blamed for the bombing, the prime minister said.

The United States is expected to play a supporting role in the new offensive that President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed is set to launch on Saturday, a Somali military official told The Associated Press. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to reporters.

Somalia's army spokesman Capt. Abdullahi Iman said the offensive involving thousands of troops will try to push al-Shabab fighters out of their strongholds in the Lower Shabelle and Middle Shabelle regions where many deadly attacks on Somalia's capital, Mogadishu, and on Somali and African Union bases have been launched.


Also Friday, the U.S. military said it had resumed its fight against al-Shabab with a drone strike.

The extremist group has not commented on Saturday's truck bombing in Mogadishu, which Somali intelligence officials have said was meant to target the city's heavily fortified international airport where many countries have their embassies. The massive bomb, which security officials said weighed between 600 kilograms and 800 kilograms (1,300 pounds and 1,700 pounds), instead detonated in a crowded street after soldiers opened fire and flattened one of the truck's tires.

Somalia's information minister Abdirahman Osman said late Friday that 56 were people still missing. Another 228 people were wounded, and 122 had been airlifted for treatment in Turkey, Sudan and Kenya.

"This pain will last for years," said a sheikh leading the Friday prayers at the bombing site, as long lines of mourners stood in front of flattened or tangled buildings.

Since the election of the country's Somali-American president in February, the government has announced a number of military offensives against al-Shabab, Africa's deadliest Islamic extremist group, only to end them weeks later with no explanation. Experts believe that has given the extremists breathing space and emboldened them in their guerrilla attacks.

Iman, Somalia's army spokesman, told the AP that troops recaptured three towns in Lower Shabelle region from al-Shabab on Friday in preparation for the new offensive.

Somali officials did not give details on what role the U.S. military might play. There was no immediate response late Friday from the U.S. Africa Command.

The U.S. has stepped up military involvement in the long-fractured Horn of Africa nation since President Donald Trump approved expanded operations against the group early this year. The U.S. has carried out at least 19 drone strikes in Somalia since January, according to The Bureau of Investigative Journalism.

The latest U.S. drone strike occurred Monday about 35 miles (56 kilometers) southwest of the capital, the U.S. Africa Command told the AP earlier Friday. It said it was still assessing the results.

Earlier this week, in response to questions about the massive truck bombing, a Pentagon spokesman said the United States has about 400 troops in Somalia and "we're not going to speculate" about sending more.

In April, the U.S. announced it was sending dozens of regular troops to Somalia in the largest such deployment to the country in roughly two decades. The U.S. said it was for logistics training of Somalia's army and that about 40 troops were taking part.

Weeks later, a service member was killed during an operation against al-Shabab. He was the first American to die in combat in Somalia since 1993.
 

Dr. Strangelove

Nuclear War Expert
Staff member
To honor the opening post of this thread, all posts discussing the actual acts of terror will be deleted. If you want to discuss a specific event, please open a thread specific to it and discuss to your hearts' content.

Remember kids, don't text and drive.
 

agnostic

Legendary Member
Nota Bene : Jacques Attali the PR façade of Jewish bankers in France, and Macron's mentor that he predicts the election when Macron wasn't even known, has also predicted civil war in France before the end of 2021 and France being ruled by 2022 by the FN (Front National of the Jews Ass-Licker Marine Lepen).

Agression près de la Tour Eiffel: le caractère raciste retenu

Le parquet de Paris avait ouvert une enquête pour "tentative d'homicide volontaire", mais les faits ont été requalifiés en "violences volontaires" à l'issue des gardes à vue.
AFP

JUSTICE - Le parquet de Paris a ouvert ce mercredi 21 octobre une information judiciaire pour “violences volontaires” accompagnées de propos racistes, après l’attaque à l’arme blanche dimanche de deux femmes près de la Tour Eiffel à Paris, a appris l’AFP auprès du parquet de Paris.
Deux suspectes, placées en garde à vue mardi au commissariat du 7e arrondissement, vont être présentées à un juge d’instruction chargé d’enquêter sur cette altercation partie de la présence jugée menaçante d’un chien par deux femmes, qui ont ensuite été blessées à l’arme blanche.
L’affaire avait été très relayée via une vidéo sur les réseaux sociaux, certains internautes dénonçant un “silence médiatique” sur cette agression qu’ils qualifiaient d’islamophobe, quelques jours après l’assassinat vendredi de Samuel Paty, l’enseignant décapité près de son collège de Conflans-Sainte-Honorine (Yvelines).

L’attaque au couteau requalifiée en “violences volontaires”​

Le parquet de Paris avait ouvert une enquête pour “tentative d’homicide volontaire”, mais les faits ont été requalifiés en “violences volontaires” à l’issue des gardes à vue.

Selon le ministère public, ces violences sont aggravées notamment par le fait qu’elles ont été commises en réunion, avec l’utilisation d’une arme, et qu’elles ont été accompagnées de propos liés ”à l’appartenance ou non-appartenance, vrai ou supposée” des victimes ”à une ethnie, une nation, une race ou une religion déterminée”. Le parquet a requis la détention provisoire des deux suspectes.
Selon Me Arié Alimi, l’avocat des deux victimes, “celles-ci sont satisfaites de l’ouverture d’une information judiciaire et du caractère raciste retenu mais considèrent qu’il s’agit d’une tentative d’homicide.”
“Il est indéniable que ces faits sont liés au défoulement politique et laïciste contre les musulmans depuis l’attentat de Conflans-Sainte-Honorine”, d’après lui.

“Vous n’êtes pas chez vous ici”​

L’avocat a donc annoncé à l’AFP un dépôt de plainte avec constitution de partie civile mercredi pour demander de requalifier l’enquête en “tentative de meurtre à raison de l’appartenance de la victime à une race ou à une religion déterminée”, une qualification criminelle.
D’après cette plainte, les deux victimes sont âgées de 19 et 40 ans. La première a reçu trois coups par une arme blanche, la seconde six coups, dont un lui perforant le poumon. Cette seconde victime se trouve toujours à l’hôpital.
Selon cette plainte, les deux femmes disent avoir été qualifiées de “sales arabes” par les deux femmes mises en cause, qui leur auraient également dit : “Rentrez chez vous”, “Vous n’êtes pas chez vous ici”.
“L’une des femmes faisait également référence au voile que portaient plusieurs femmes de la famille, en parlant de ‘ce truc que tu as sur la tête’”, selon cette plainte.
 
Top